Wake Forest c/o 2016 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
InBetweenDays

New

Re: Wake Forest c/o 2016

Post by InBetweenDays » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:52 pm

Also weighting options with my state school... hopefully Wake will open up some more money before the second deposit. :wink:[/quote]

I just called them and the lady who answered the phone said that, while Dean Shively makes the final call, she anticipated that he could not negotiate schollys at the moment because so many students deposited (and, I assume that means they made plenty of scholly offers).

zazinha

New

Post by zazinha » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:55 pm

RAWR wrote:
zazinha wrote:My first post is coming to you all in kind of a panic - I just received an email from the office of admissions asking me to to take a Withdrawal Survey. This would be fine and dandy if I had actually withdrawn but considering I've sent in a seat-deposit (post-marked by the deadline), I'm kiiiinda freaking out. To all you other admits: Did I miss something?? I haven't yet received the admissions packet with the email and all of that, but I did receive financial aid info (which doesn't need to be accepted/denied until July) and, like I said earlier, I sent in my seat deposit. Other than that, I haven't done/received anything else (other than the occasional email from alumni/current students trying to convince me to commit), so again, did I miss a deadline or something??? I'm still waiting on some other schools, but I would really hate to lose my spot AND a scholarship just because I forgot to do something I wasn't even aware needed to be done. I've emailed and called the office of admissions and Dean Shively, but I'm guessing they're out for the day. I'm ASSUMING this is just some sort of clerical error but who knows.

Has this happened to anyone else or am I the only unfortunate soul??
I sincerely hope you got this all sorted this morning, bud.

Thanks! Yes - all of you were correct, everything was straightened out, thankfully. Sorry for being so panicked, but when there's a scholarships that might slip through my fingers, there is panicking to be had. Apparently they associated the deposit with a different ID number than mine and I was able to figure this out by sleuthing (really, I just requested a copy of the cancelled check from the bank.). They were really apologetic and very quick to respond, although it felt like they took an eternity since I'm in Washington State and was unable to talk to them til the next morning.

They should totally up my scholarship for all of this stress they caused me. Just kidding.

But seriously.

RAWR

Bronze

Post by RAWR » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:53 pm

zazinha wrote:
RAWR wrote:
zazinha wrote:My first post is coming to you all in kind of a panic - I just received an email from the office of admissions asking me to to take a Withdrawal Survey. This would be fine and dandy if I had actually withdrawn but considering I've sent in a seat-deposit (post-marked by the deadline), I'm kiiiinda freaking out. To all you other admits: Did I miss something?? I haven't yet received the admissions packet with the email and all of that, but I did receive financial aid info (which doesn't need to be accepted/denied until July) and, like I said earlier, I sent in my seat deposit. Other than that, I haven't done/received anything else (other than the occasional email from alumni/current students trying to convince me to commit), so again, did I miss a deadline or something??? I'm still waiting on some other schools, but I would really hate to lose my spot AND a scholarship just because I forgot to do something I wasn't even aware needed to be done. I've emailed and called the office of admissions and Dean Shively, but I'm guessing they're out for the day. I'm ASSUMING this is just some sort of clerical error but who knows.

Has this happened to anyone else or am I the only unfortunate soul??
I sincerely hope you got this all sorted this morning, bud.

Thanks! Yes - all of you were correct, everything was straightened out, thankfully. Sorry for being so panicked, but when there's a scholarships that might slip through my fingers, there is panicking to be had. Apparently they associated the deposit with a different ID number than mine and I was able to figure this out by sleuthing (really, I just requested a copy of the cancelled check from the bank.). They were really apologetic and very quick to respond, although it felt like they took an eternity since I'm in Washington State and was unable to talk to them til the next morning.

They should totally up my scholarship for all of this stress they caused me. Just kidding.

But seriously.
GOOD FOR YOU! I'm glad it wasn't a problem.

I agree, though. PUNITIVE DAMAGES!!! :lol:

tony2167

Bronze

Post by tony2167 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:03 pm

InBetweenDays wrote:Also weighting options with my state school... hopefully Wake will open up some more money before the second deposit. :wink:
I just called them and the lady who answered the phone said that, while Dean Shively makes the final call, she anticipated that he could not negotiate schollys at the moment because so many students deposited (and, I assume that means they made plenty of scholly offers).[/quote]

That's interesting about the deposits. I know when I went to ASD, of the probably 30ish people I spoke to I was the only one who hadn't put my deposit down yet (it was due by the end of the day), and there were over 200 prospective students there, most of whom had likely already deposited also. I wonder what Wake's class size will look like this coming year.

RAWR

Bronze

Post by RAWR » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:25 pm

tony2167 wrote:
InBetweenDays wrote:Also weighting options with my state school... hopefully Wake will open up some more money before the second deposit. :wink:
I just called them and the lady who answered the phone said that, while Dean Shively makes the final call, she anticipated that he could not negotiate schollys at the moment because so many students deposited (and, I assume that means they made plenty of scholly offers).
That's interesting about the deposits. I know when I went to ASD, of the probably 30ish people I spoke to I was the only one who hadn't put my deposit down yet (it was due by the end of the day), and there were over 200 prospective students there, most of whom had likely already deposited also. I wonder what Wake's class size will look like this coming year.[/quote]

A 3L told me that this year's 1L class was much smaller than is typical, and therefore there were going to try to "make up for it" by having a bigger class this year. HOWEVER, I was assured that a bigger class would not have any effect on the capped class sizes.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

shaynislegend

Bronze

Post by shaynislegend » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:37 pm

RAWR wrote: A 3L told me that this year's 1L class was much smaller than is typical, and therefore there were going to try to "make up for it" by having a bigger class this year. HOWEVER, I was assured that a bigger class would not have any effect on the capped class sizes.
There is no way they could have had a smaller class than last year: 126.

RAWR

Bronze

Post by RAWR » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:46 pm

shaynislegend wrote:
RAWR wrote: A 3L told me that this year's 1L class was much smaller than is typical, and therefore there were going to try to "make up for it" by having a bigger class this year. HOWEVER, I was assured that a bigger class would not have any effect on the capped class sizes.
Right. I'm saying I expect (and have heard) that the class will be BIGGER than the 2013 or 2014 (grad date) classes to make up for the small Class of 2015.

aklam19

New

Post by aklam19 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:31 pm

InBetweenDays wrote:
2012Lsatscore wrote:
aklam19 wrote:People on the wait list with me - what all are you guys doing besides the LOCI and waiting patiently?

I'm still in total indecision between Wake and this very cool leadership scholar program at my state school. Anyone feel like swaying me one way or another?

Also - anyone techy care to speculate as to why my messages aren't leaving my TLS outbox? Thanks!

you should not go to Wake so I can go to Wake. How could you pass up "very cool leadership scholar program" ?!

Incubateus

Bronze

Post by Incubateus » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:42 pm

RAWR wrote:
shaynislegend wrote:
Right. I'm saying I expect (and have heard) that the class will be BIGGER than the 2013 or 2014 (grad date) classes to make up for the small Class of 2015.
So Wake typically shoots for 150 people/class, give or take. The class size for 2014 was too high, at around 180. I've heard rumors about something being off with the formula, but that's only a rumor. 2015 is 124 in order to counteract the class of 2014. I think they are shooting for another class of 150 again. That being said, we are getting the entire building next year and that requires more funding to keep up the maintenance. So they might increase class size. But I haven't heard anything about an influx of new professors, so they are more than likely trying to shoot for 150 again. On a separate note, I've heard that the number of deposits were slightly higher than expected (probably due Wake's jump in the rankings and the increase in scholarships for the class of 2016), so I'm guessing you'll have a class of 165 or 170.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tstyler98

Bronze

Post by tstyler98 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:54 pm

Incubateus wrote:
RAWR wrote:
shaynislegend wrote:
So Wake typically shoots for 150 people/class, give or take. The class size for 2014 was too high, at around 180. I've heard rumors about something being off with the formula, but that's only a rumor. 2015 is 124 in order to counteract the class of 2014. I think they are shooting for another class of 150 again. That being said, we are getting the entire building next year and that requires more funding to keep up the maintenance. So they might increase class size. But I haven't heard anything about an influx of new professors, so they are more than likely trying to shoot for 150 again. On a separate note, I've heard that the number of deposits were slightly higher than expected (probably due Wake's jump in the rankings and the increase in scholarships for the class of 2016), so I'm guessing you'll have a class of 165 or 170.
The current 3L class size when we started was about 167, so a class size of 160-170 would be in line with what they used to do before the large 2L class and small 1L class. Each of our 1L sections was about 40-45 students. So I wouldn't worry too much if it's about that size.

RAWR

Bronze

Post by RAWR » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:37 pm

I was told by Janet Cromer (head of financial aid) at ASD that the increase in building space (the business school is moving out of the other half of the building, for those who are unaware) would ABSOLUTELY NOT result in an increased class size. Granted, the class size will vary to some degree by chance / various circumstances, but there WILL NOT be a concerted effort or conscious decision to make the law school bigger, headcount-wise.

aklam19

New

Post by aklam19 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:09 am

how's everyone doing?

InBetweenDays

New

Post by InBetweenDays » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:07 am

aklam19 wrote:how's everyone doing?
Quite well. I'm visiting Wake next week!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

aklam19

New

Post by aklam19 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:42 pm

InBetweenDays wrote:

nice. already accepted/committed? first time?

InBetweenDays

New

Post by InBetweenDays » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:45 pm

aklam19 wrote:
InBetweenDays wrote:

Not yet. Still pretty squarely on the fence. I visited when I was applying for undergrad and loved the campus... just trying to refresh my memory, as well as check out the law school specifically of course!

aklam19

New

Post by aklam19 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:57 pm

InBetweenDays wrote:
aklam19 wrote:
InBetweenDays wrote:

Not yet. Still pretty squarely on the fence. I visited when I was applying for undergrad and loved the campus... just trying to refresh my memory, as well as check out the law school specifically of course!
gotcha. where else are you looking at?

RAWR

Bronze

Post by RAWR » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:07 pm

Are you still on the waitlist? Or will you be joining us? :)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

aklam19

New

Post by aklam19 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:20 pm

RAWR wrote:

my friend! still on the wait list. just waiting it out...might call the admissions office next week. Don't want to be a pest though. I know I just have to wait. You will know if I get off for sure, though :) -

i got a call from a 336 (North Carolina) area code the other day and i freaked out. Cleared my throat, answered. Ended up being a lady from one of the apartment complexes I visited asking me if I got in yet, was thinking about house hunting yet :(

RAWR

Bronze

Post by RAWR » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:46 pm

aklam19 wrote:
RAWR wrote:

my friend! still on the wait list. just waiting it out...might call the admissions office next week. Don't want to be a pest though. I know I just have to wait. You will know if I get off for sure, though :) -

i got a call from a 336 (North Carolina) area code the other day and i freaked out. Cleared my throat, answered. Ended up being a lady from one of the apartment complexes I visited asking me if I got in yet, was thinking about house hunting yet :(
UGH WORST FEELING EVER. I'm super sorry that happened. Every time my phone has rang with a number with a different area code for the last two months, my heart has skipped a beat. Best best BEST of luck. I would think if there will be any movement on the waitlist, it will be after the second deposit, so definitely don't give up before then.

aklam19

New

Post by aklam19 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:50 pm

RAWR wrote:
aklam19 wrote:
RAWR wrote:

UGH WORST FEELING EVER. I'm super sorry that happened. Every time my phone has rang with a number with a different area code for the last two months, my heart has skipped a beat. Best best BEST of luck. I would think if there will be any movement on the waitlist, it will be after the second deposit, so definitely don't give up before then.

Many thanks. Hoping even if it is 5 people who get a call of the wait list that I will be one of them. Only place I want to be, really. And no giving up, no such thing as that.

aklam19

New

Post by aklam19 » Thu May 02, 2013 12:53 pm

did anyone who sent an LOCI ever get any kind of confirmation on WFU receiving it?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

brina1123

New

Post by brina1123 » Tue May 07, 2013 5:11 pm

I officially decided on WF!!!!

Who's going to House Hunt? I think I'll have an apartment by then but I am thinking about just attending to socialize and meet people.

RAWR

Bronze

Post by RAWR » Tue May 07, 2013 6:19 pm

brina1123 wrote:I officially decided on WF!!!!

Who's going to House Hunt? I think I'll have an apartment by then but I am thinking about just attending to socialize and meet people.
Join the facebook group! :)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/289649014498145/

InBetweenDays

New

Post by InBetweenDays » Wed May 08, 2013 10:27 am

Congrats! I officially decided last week. Check out the Crowne Park apartments if you get a chance; I toured and loved them!

pifhib2

New

Post by pifhib2 » Wed May 08, 2013 1:20 pm

InBetweenDays wrote:

Congrats! I officially decided last week. Check out the Crowne Park apartments if you get a chance; I toured and loved them!
Park is great, but expensive. Quiet, good staff, clean, etc. I have no complaints there.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”