Wake Forest c/o 2016 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
aklam19

New

Re: Wake Forest c/o 2016

Post by aklam19 » Wed May 08, 2013 2:43 pm

InBetweenDays wrote:
brina1123 wrote:I officially decided on WF!!!!

Who's going to House Hunt? I think I'll have an apartment by then but I am thinking about just attending to socialize and meet people.
Congrats! I officially decided last week. Check out the Crowne Park apartments if you get a chance; I toured and loved them!
congrats on deciding!!! i take it you liked your visit?

InBetweenDays

New

Post by InBetweenDays » Fri May 10, 2013 3:00 pm

aklam19 wrote:
InBetweenDays wrote:

Who's going to House Hunt? I think I'll have an apartment by then but I am thinking about just attending to socialize and meet people.
Congrats! I officially decided last week. Check out the Crowne Park apartments if you get a chance; I toured and loved them!
Loved it! The campus is more stunning than I remember.

aklam19

New

Post by aklam19 » Sat May 11, 2013 4:56 am

InBetweenDays wrote:
aklam19 wrote:
InBetweenDays wrote:

Loved it! The campus is more stunning than I remember.
Definitely!

Are you going in June for the housing get-together meet and greet thing?

InBetweenDays

New

Post by InBetweenDays » Mon May 13, 2013 10:14 am

Definitely!

Are you going in June for the housing get-together meet and greet thing?[/quote]

probably not... I think I already found an apartment! Any news on your end?

aklam19

New

Post by aklam19 » Mon May 13, 2013 7:27 pm

InBetweenDays wrote:Definitely!

Are you going in June for the housing get-together meet and greet thing?

probably not... I think I already found an apartment! Any news on your end?[/quote]

gotcha. No news yet. If i get in, i'll be there!

where did you find an apt/where did you decide?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

aklam19

New

Post by aklam19 » Sun May 19, 2013 6:42 pm

anyone hear anything from wait list yet?

RAWR

Bronze

Post by RAWR » Mon May 20, 2013 3:05 pm

aklam19 wrote:anyone hear anything from wait list yet?
Second deposit coming up during House Hunt (approx June 7-8), so look for movement then potentially. Until then, they have no reason to pull from the wait list because the first round of deposits went well for them.

InBetweenDays

New

Post by InBetweenDays » Mon May 20, 2013 3:36 pm

RAWR wrote:
Second deposit coming up during House Hunt (approx June 7-8), so look for movement then potentially. Until then, they have no reason to pull from the wait list because the first round of deposits went well for them.
The first round of deposits went too well. Our class size is currently looking to be very large (larger than Wake would like). I don't mean to be a downer, but, all things considered, they aren't likely to extend any additional offers if they already wish they had not extended so many.

crossingfingers

Bronze

Post by crossingfingers » Mon May 20, 2013 4:11 pm

InBetweenDays wrote:
RAWR wrote:
The first round of deposits went too well. Our class size is currently looking to be very large (larger than Wake would like). I don't mean to be a downer, but, all things considered, they aren't likely to extend any additional offers if they already wish they had not extended so many.
It's crazy how much yearly USNWR fluctuations will influence the number of accepted offers. Wake is obviously a fantastic school regardless, but it seems like they and Alabama are both experiencing an unusual interest this year (similar to W&L and ASU last year).

I was really planning on riding this waitlist out in hopes that (despite Dean Shively's earlier post suggesting otherwise) there might still be strong offers to those still on the waitlist. I would have seriously considered Wake if it were more affordable than my current choices, but I think it's becoming more and more clear that that's unlikely.

I'm going to withdraw, keep my fingers crossed that it helps out a few desperate waitlisters on here, and continue to curse the tech issues that helped account for a totally unimpressive web-interview and get me waitlisted in the first place. Best of luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RAWR

Bronze

Post by RAWR » Mon May 20, 2013 4:41 pm

crossingfingers wrote:
InBetweenDays wrote:
RAWR wrote:
It's crazy how much yearly USNWR fluctuations will influence the number of accepted offers. Wake is obviously a fantastic school regardless, but it seems like they and Alabama are both experiencing an unusual interest this year (similar to W&L and ASU last year).

I was really planning on riding this waitlist out in hopes that (despite Dean Shively's earlier post suggesting otherwise) there might still be strong offers to those still on the waitlist. I would have seriously considered Wake if it were more affordable than my current choices, but I think it's becoming more and more clear that that's unlikely.

I'm going to withdraw, keep my fingers crossed that it helps out a few desperate waitlisters on here, and continue to curse the tech issues that helped account for a totally unimpressive web-interview and get me waitlisted in the first place. Best of luck!
Sorry to hear that. I hope you have great options for next year. It's interesting that even though USNWR comes out after the app deadlines (it came out 2 days after I got accepted), it can still influence that much. Obviously it can't change the number of applicants, but the fact that it can sway students who have already applied is (and I'm seesawing on this) almost... more impressive?? For USNWR's standpoint of course, not the various schools. It's interesting that stats suggest they hold influence over the sheer numbers while so many people claim to dismiss it entirely.

InBetweenDays

New

Post by InBetweenDays » Mon May 20, 2013 4:46 pm

crossingfingers wrote:
InBetweenDays wrote:
RAWR wrote:

The audio in my web interview made it impossible to understand anything I said. I don't think anyone was a fan of that "interview".

As far as Wake's USNWR boost this year... I think it generated a bit of excitement around the school (got people to look more closely at it, and consider it with a higher degree of plausibility). But, with exception to those super elitist (T14 or bust) TLS peeps, Wake seems to pass the TLS acceptability metric on most grounds- ATL ranks them #30; their quality (non-university funded, JD required, long-term) job prospect stats are ~75% of the class, and, while some might disagree, even Wake's TLS profile now speaks to the superior national portability of a Wake degree when compared with similarly ranked schools.

crossingfingers

Bronze

Post by crossingfingers » Mon May 20, 2013 5:12 pm

InBetweenDays wrote:
The audio in my web interview made it impossible to understand anything I said. I don't think anyone was a fan of that "interview".

As far as Wake's USNWR boost this year... I think it generated a bit of excitement around the school (got people to look more closely at it, and consider it with a higher degree of plausibility). But, with exception to those super elitist (T14 or bust) TLS peeps, Wake seems to pass the TLS acceptability metric on most grounds- ATL ranks them #30; their quality (non-university funded, JD required, long-term) job prospect stats are ~75% of the class, and, while some might disagree, even Wake's TLS profile now speaks to the superior national portability of a Wake degree when compared with similarly ranked schools.
I completed about half of the first question before the page reloaded and then gave me a different first question. This was after I completed the mock-interview practice run twice without fail, only to have the real thing freeze and refuse to load. Also, I prepped for a few hours, which I think ended up hurting me rather than helping me since after you read the prompt aloud, deal with the ticking clock, and try to address the camera instead of your own face, you're left with less time to do anything more than scream "I loved it!" or "Because I just want to!". I had actual answers to the questions, but none of I managed to reasonably convey. I feel like now that I know the process better, I would have been best served by giving crazily-simplified answers with a big cool smile on my face. Oh well, hopefully applicants next year will be served by our complaints this year when they go treasure hunting in this thread!

As to the rest, I agree. Wake is an awesome school and I was pretty bummed when they got the bump in the rankings because I knew that it didn't bode well for us waiters. I'm also too old to go into this paying anything near sticker, so it pretty much crushed the dream of a large offer.

sdmelzer

New

Post by sdmelzer » Mon May 20, 2013 5:27 pm

Have hope guys. I will be withdrawing from one of the $105k offers. Best of luck to those still waiting Wake out!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

aklam19

New

Post by aklam19 » Tue May 21, 2013 10:01 am

InBetweenDays wrote:
RAWR wrote:

how do you know the class is very large though?

InBetweenDays

New

Post by InBetweenDays » Tue May 21, 2013 10:39 am

aklam19 wrote:
InBetweenDays wrote:
RAWR wrote:

I spoke to an admissions administrator when I was there, and many other TLS peeps have heard the same.

RAWR

Bronze

Post by RAWR » Tue May 21, 2013 10:40 am

aklam19 wrote:
InBetweenDays wrote:
RAWR wrote:

.... because that's what happens when schools jump in rankings and the Dean of Admissions says their number of deposits were "higher than expected." One star deductive reasoning over here.

aklam19

New

Post by aklam19 » Tue May 21, 2013 5:06 pm

.... because that's what happens when schools jump in rankings and the Dean of Admissions says their number of deposits were "higher than expected." One star deductive reasoning over here.[/quote]

thanks for the lesson, bro.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

aklam19

New

Post by aklam19 » Tue May 21, 2013 5:07 pm

Second deposit coming up during House Hunt (approx June 7-8), so look for movement then potentially. Until then, they have no reason to pull from the wait list because the first round of deposits went well for them.[/quote]

The first round of deposits went too well. Our class size is currently looking to be very large (larger than Wake would like). I don't mean to be a downer, but, all things considered, they aren't likely to extend any additional offers if they already wish they had not extended so many.[/quote]

how do you know the class is very large though?[/quote]

I spoke to an admissions administrator when I was there, and many other TLS peeps have heard the same.[/quote]

thanks. i was more speaking in terms of large relative to their expectations. it could be large relative to expectations but not 160, you know?

2012Lsatscore

Silver

Post by 2012Lsatscore » Thu May 23, 2013 1:35 pm

Last edited by 2012Lsatscore on Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shaynislegend

Bronze

Post by shaynislegend » Thu May 23, 2013 1:46 pm

2012Lsatscore wrote:Withdrew today. 105k back in the pot. I decided to take advantage of the partial deposit refund.

Also, that e-mail saying that they want a hard commitment by June 15th kind of turned me off. They basically said that if they see that we have deposited at other schools past 06/15 they reserve the right to rescind our admission offer. Damn. That just ain't gonna work with a multi-waitlister like me. I reserve the right to withdraw all the way up until the first day of classes.

Good Luck everyone!
Agree.

jduluoz54

New

Post by jduluoz54 » Fri May 24, 2013 10:58 pm

I'm game...

Final deposit just hit the mail.

Who can add me to the FB group?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Jctrevor

New

Post by Jctrevor » Tue May 28, 2013 11:04 pm

The number they were kicking around about about a month ago was 180+/- (something like 5 sections vs the 4 they typically had before but wanting to keep the sections 40-50 students). One of the goals was a smaller law school so this was not great news. Loved the visit though otherwise.

AGAIN it is dated and nothing more then an response to a question on a visit.

WakeLawAdmDean

New

Post by WakeLawAdmDean » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:58 am

2012Lsatscore wrote:Withdrew today. 105k back in the pot. I decided to take advantage of the partial deposit refund.

Also, that e-mail saying that they want a hard commitment by June 15th kind of turned me off. They basically said that if they see that we have deposited at other schools past 06/15 they reserve the right to rescind our admission offer. Damn. That just ain't gonna work with a multi-waitlister like me. I reserve the right to withdraw all the way up until the first day of classes.

Good Luck everyone!
TLSers~
There's nothing about the hard commitment that says you can't stay on waitlists. The commitment overlap requirement only applies to multiple deposits. If you withdrew because you thought you couldn't stay on waitlists, it's a shame you didn't take the time to understand the situation or call us for clarification.

We certainly wish you all the best in your future endeavors.

Jay Shively
Wake Forest Law

2012Lsatscore

Silver

Post by 2012Lsatscore » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:16 pm

Last edited by 2012Lsatscore on Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dolphine

Bronze

Post by Dolphine » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:49 pm

2012Lsatscore wrote:
WakeLawAdmDean wrote:

Good Luck everyone!
TLSers~
There's nothing about the hard commitment that says you can't stay on waitlists. The commitment overlap requirement only applies to multiple deposits. If you withdrew because you thought you couldn't stay on waitlists, it's a shame you didn't take the time to understand the situation or call us for clarification.

We certainly wish you all the best in your future endeavors.

Jay Shively
Wake Forest Law
Sorry, I didn't misunderstand. I could have worded that better; I just hate the push for us to commit from some schools while others are stringing us out. I just meant that I need to be able to deposit at multiple schools over the summer, because I need to be able to negotiate. I know its a dirty business and we tend to use schools like Wake as pawns, but that's basically the only aspect we can control besides our LSAT scores. Many schools are re-negotiating scholarships and having a lot of waitlist movement as they try to secure their medians. Last week, I successfully negotiated 72k from WUSTL! It's crazy! In a market like this, I could withdraw from a school today, because its too expensive, that I would have gotten 15k more from next week because of a surprise waitlist acceptance.

Thanks for the clarification!
What's funny about that is not too long ago you were telling people how unethical and slimeballish that is.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”