W&L c/o 2016

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
wannabelawstudent

Re: W&L c/o 2016

Postby wannabelawstudent » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:35 am

I just realized I probably said something really stupid that didn't make sense in my interview on Thursday....

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:01 am

wannabelawstudent wrote:I just realized I probably said something really stupid that didn't make sense in my interview on Thursday....

Was it a tour/meeting thing ?

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:08 am

lhanvt13 wrote:
wannabelawstudent wrote:I just realized I probably said something really stupid that didn't make sense in my interview on Thursday....

Phone interview.

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:42 am

wannabelawstudent wrote:
lhanvt13 wrote:

Phone interview.

Ah I see . You'll be fine don't worry too much . Anything specific u think happened that light negatively impact ur overall interview ?

simplycatalina

Postby simplycatalina » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:23 am

99.9luft wrote:
cbarlow1016 wrote:does anyone know what the placement is in CA? I'd love to work in SF and I'm gonna try to get off the waitlist but I'm just wondering how much work it's worth.

agree with the poster above. where else did you get in? If you're in at Davis and Hastings, they are better for NorCal than W&L will ever be.

yeah I'm in at Hastings and waiting on Davis. the only reason is that I'm not absolutely sure I want to stay in NorCal. I'd also be happy in NY/DC so I'm trying to figure out how to maximize my options.

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:16 pm

lhanvt13 wrote:
wannabelawstudent wrote:
lhanvt13 wrote:

Phone interview.

Ah I see . You'll be fine don't worry too much . Anything specific u think happened that light negatively impact ur overall interview ?

Nah I just realized I left out some details about one of the examples I gave, the story probably made no sense to Dean.

kuttlefish

Postby kuttlefish » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:12 pm

JayJones78 wrote:Why would it be the most ignored?

Failed attempt at a Jan Brady joke.... :oops:

wvu

Postby wvu » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:16 pm

cbarlow1016 wrote:
99.9luft wrote:
cbarlow1016 wrote:does anyone know what the placement is in CA? I'd love to work in SF and I'm gonna try to get off the waitlist but I'm just wondering how much work it's worth.

agree with the poster above. where else did you get in? If you're in at Davis and Hastings, they are better for NorCal than W&L will ever be.

yeah I'm in at Hastings and waiting on Davis. the only reason is that I'm not absolutely sure I want to stay in NorCal. I'd also be happy in NY/DC so I'm trying to figure out how to maximize my options.

I would think that good grades at Hastings/Davis would give you as much of a chance at NY/DC as W&L, and would leave NorCal open to you as well.

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:23 pm

Retake. The placement numbers for Hastings and Davis are dismal. Furthermore, a degree from either is not portable. If you want east coast, you should attend an east coast LS. And since DC is full of prestige whores, the higher-ranked the better.

simplycatalina

Postby simplycatalina » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:29 pm

Big Dog wrote:

Retake. The placement numbers for Hastings and Davis are dismal. Furthermore, a degree from either is not portable. If you want east coast, you should attend an east coast LS. And since DC is full of prestige whores, the higher-ranked the better.

What about GW, BC or BU? Still waiting to hear back from all three.

bulinus

Postby bulinus » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:18 pm

I posted this a little while ago, but I just figured some things out, so I decided I'd retry. I'm signed up for the March 29th ASW, and if anyone wants a ride out of Philly, PM me.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:22 pm

Reminder: this thread is for discussing W&L c/o 2016 issues. If you wish to debate the merits of various schools you are free to start another thread in the choosing a law school forum.

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:42 pm

bulinus wrote:I posted this a little while ago, but I just figured some things out, so I decided I'd retry. I'm signed up for the March 29th ASW, and if anyone wants a ride out of Philly, PM me.

On a similar note: anybody need a ride for Roanoke airport to Lexington on Marxh 1st?

L-a-w

Postby L-a-w » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:59 pm

For those that went to ASW, how was the mock class?

espressocream

Postby espressocream » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:35 pm

L-a-w wrote:For those that went to ASW, how was the mock class?

I didn't go to ASW as I am currently wait listed, but I did do an individual visit where I was able to sit in on the transnational law class. It was interesting, I'm less intimidated now -- the prof was really great.

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:52 pm

espressocream wrote:

I didn't go to ASW as I am currently wait listed, but I did do an individual visit where I was able to sit in on the transnational law class. It was interesting, I'm less intimidated now -- the prof was really great.

yup went to sit in on a class before any decision was reached and I'd say the class was fun and the professor made the subject really interesting.

FortunaGubernans

Postby FortunaGubernans » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:41 pm

I enjoyed it. I felt that I would like to have the prof for an actual class, so that's good. He didn't cold call, which is probably a relief for some, but I'm actually a huge fan of the Socratic method and would have liked to see it.

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:59 pm

FortunaGubernans wrote:

I enjoyed it. I felt that I would like to have the prof for an actual class, so that's good. He didn't cold call, which is probably a relief for some, but I'm actually a huge fan of the Socratic method and would have liked to see it.

I imagined he will not call on anyone but that also got me thinking if people participated? I always feel like the odd kid out because I love participation. In undergrad I felt these were the easiest credits to get

talesofyore

Postby talesofyore » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:27 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
FortunaGubernans wrote:

I imagined he will not call on anyone but that also got me thinking if people participated? I always feel like the odd kid out because I love participation. In undergrad I felt these were the easiest credits to get

Same here. I've gotten full marks for class participation in every single class.

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:48 pm

talesofyore wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
FortunaGubernans wrote:

Same here. I've gotten full marks for class participation in every single class.

Yup. I look at them as free grades. I love to talk and argue. Why not credit for it? Or get paid for it post LS :)

talesofyore

Postby talesofyore » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:54 pm

And it makes for getting awesome LORs.

wvu

Postby wvu » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:50 pm

FortunaGubernans wrote:

Who was the professor, out of curiosity? (Edit: I see it was Drumbl, never had him so can't comment on if that's how his classes work)

Edit: I see people coming to this week's class have Murchison. Prepare to be amazed. Love that man. :lol:

L-a-w

Postby L-a-w » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:58 pm

FortunaGubernans wrote:

Interesting!! Thanks for all the info!!

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:27 pm

Macados anybody? I'll be there for a little while if you wanna join . Find the guy in a blue sweater

WLU2015

Postby WLU2015 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:11 am

aqbi wrote:this may be a stupid question but I got the 30K/year scholarship with the 3.15 GPA stip.

When i tell other people about that stip, they say that it's ridiculously high.

But when I look at the website, it seems like it's the top 75%? or C average?

Am I missing something? Is the stip really ridiculous and difficult to achieve or does W&L just grade differently??

I'm a member of the Class of 2015, and I have the same stip. I was getting 2.85 or so at every other school I applied to, and was initially turned off by it. It's not that difficult to achieve. Something like 70% of students are above a 3.15. Even if you're below it, they do not revoke your scholarship immediately, like other schools. They /may/ decrease it until you get it above the 3.15, but even then, they'll work with you and try to let you keep it. I was told by Dean Twitty that only one student in the past seven years or something has actually lost their scholarship, and that was only because they were refusing to go to class/do work.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”