W&L c/o 2016

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
JayJones78
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: W&L c/o 2016

Postby JayJones78 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:01 pm

Just got the letter.

5K/year with a 3.15 GPA.
Honestly, with my numbers coming in (151/3.41 URM) I was surprised I got accepted and even more surprised I wasn't offered sticker. W&L is still high on my list.

skri65
Posts: 484
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:07 pm

Re: W&L c/o 2016

Postby skri65 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:04 pm

edwardt1988 wrote:40K/yr, which is very tempting. Unfortunately I can't really leverage other schools like BU/ GW for more money based on this.


.
Last edited by skri65 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
rabbitrun
Posts: 220
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 9:20 pm

Re: W&L c/o 2016

Postby rabbitrun » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:07 pm

skri65 wrote:
edwardt1988 wrote:40K/yr, which is very tempting. Unfortunately I can't really leverage other schools like BU/ GW for more money based on this.


Anyone think 30K at W&L will be leverage to receive any money at all from a school like BU or BC?


I think it might. I don't think it will be the full 30k but it might get you to about half or something. I hoping that my 40k will get WUSTL and W&M to bump up scholly.

User avatar
The-Specs
Posts: 1037
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:55 pm

Re: W&L c/o 2016

Postby The-Specs » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:25 pm

Got letter today.

$25,000/year stip at 3.15. Don't think that I am going to end up in Lexington but I am hoping to use it to leverage GMU.

User avatar
JayJones78
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: W&L c/o 2016

Postby JayJones78 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:30 pm

JayJones78 wrote:Just got the letter.

5K/year with a 3.15 GPA.
Honestly, with my numbers coming in (151/3.41 URM) I was surprised I got accepted and even more surprised I wasn't offered sticker. W&L is still high on my list.


Just to add to this:
Is there any point calling them and asking for more money? Or should I wait until I see if other peer schools offer me more? (Unlikely I think).

edwardt1988
Posts: 365
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:59 pm

Re: W&L c/o 2016

Postby edwardt1988 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:40 pm

rabbitrun wrote:
skri65 wrote:
edwardt1988 wrote:40K/yr, which is very tempting. Unfortunately I can't really leverage other schools like BU/ GW for more money based on this.


Anyone think 30K at W&L will be leverage to receive any money at all from a school like BU or BC?


I think it might. I don't think it will be the full 30k but it might get you to about half or something. I hoping that my 40k will get WUSTL and W&M to bump up scholly.


I think I might be able to use this to get a bit more from W&M. They are already giving me 75K, however.

BU is giving me 60K, so I'm hoping to get 75K out of them, but I don't know if this offer from W&L will do the trick.

User avatar
wvu
Posts: 1565
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:20 pm

Re: W&L c/o 2016

Postby wvu » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:42 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:Just got the letter.

5K/year with a 3.15 GPA.
Honestly, with my numbers coming in (151/3.41 URM) I was surprised I got accepted and even more surprised I wasn't offered sticker. W&L is still high on my list.


Just to add to this:
Is there any point calling them and asking for more money? Or should I wait until I see if other peer schools offer me more? (Unlikely I think).

Last year, the answer was that they don't negotiate at all (and especially not before the first deposit deadline), but after the first deposit they may be willing to go up some depending on how much money they've committed. In short, I wouldn't count on it.

User avatar
JayJones78
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: W&L c/o 2016

Postby JayJones78 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:58 pm

wvuchip wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:Just got the letter.

5K/year with a 3.15 GPA.
Honestly, with my numbers coming in (151/3.41 URM) I was surprised I got accepted and even more surprised I wasn't offered sticker. W&L is still high on my list.


Just to add to this:
Is there any point calling them and asking for more money? Or should I wait until I see if other peer schools offer me more? (Unlikely I think).

Last year, the answer was that they don't negotiate at all (and especially not before the first deposit deadline), but after the first deposit they may be willing to go up some depending on how much money they've committed. In short, I wouldn't count on it.


Understand. As I said I honestly expected to pay sticker :shock:

User avatar
jing87
Posts: 112
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:59 pm

Re: W&L c/o 2016

Postby jing87 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:25 pm

got the letter today and awarded 35k a year, automatically renewable if keep 3.15GPA. I was struggling between W&L and W&M for a while, now with W&L 35K and W&M 12k the answer should be very clear.

User avatar
JayJones78
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: W&L c/o 2016

Postby JayJones78 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:47 pm

jing87 wrote:got the letter today and awarded 35k a year, automatically renewable if keep 3.15GPA. I was struggling between W&L and W&M for a while, now with W&L 35K and W&M 12k the answer should be very clear.


Congratulations!! That's really good! Are you going to ASW?

User avatar
Shmoopy
Posts: 225
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:52 pm

Re: W&L c/o 2016

Postby Shmoopy » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:57 pm

I got in with 40k per year, top 40% gpa stip. best offer so far but I am mostly meh.

User avatar
jing87
Posts: 112
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:59 pm

Re: W&L c/o 2016

Postby jing87 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:53 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
jing87 wrote:got the letter today and awarded 35k a year, automatically renewable if keep 3.15GPA. I was struggling between W&L and W&M for a while, now with W&L 35K and W&M 12k the answer should be very clear.


Congratulations!! That's really good! Are you going to ASW?



What is ASW?

User avatar
JayJones78
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: W&L c/o 2016

Postby JayJones78 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:04 pm

jing87 wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
jing87 wrote:got the letter today and awarded 35k a year, automatically renewable if keep 3.15GPA. I was struggling between W&L and W&M for a while, now with W&L 35K and W&M 12k the answer should be very clear.


Congratulations!! That's really good! Are you going to ASW?



What is ASW?


Admitted Students Weekend

User avatar
jing87
Posts: 112
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:59 pm

Re: W&L c/o 2016

Postby jing87 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:13 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
jing87 wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
jing87 wrote:got the letter today and awarded 35k a year, automatically renewable if keep 3.15GPA. I was struggling between W&L and W&M for a while, now with W&L 35K and W&M 12k the answer should be very clear.


Congratulations!! That's really good! Are you going to ASW?



What is ASW?


Admitted Students Weekend


Thant open house thing? I think I will go. I never went to Lexington before and isn't the school gonna reimburse travel expense.

User avatar
JayJones78
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: W&L c/o 2016

Postby JayJones78 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:23 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
jing87 wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
jing87 wrote:got the letter today and awarded 35k a year, automatically renewable if keep 3.15GPA. I was struggling between W&L and W&M for a while, now with W&L 35K and W&M 12k the answer should be very clear.


Congratulations!! That's really good! Are you going to ASW?



What is ASW?


Admitted Students Weekend


Thant open house thing? I think I will go. I never went to Lexington before and isn't the school gonna reimburse travel expense.[/quote]
They give you $150 and then another $150 if you end up attending W&L

User avatar
kay2016
Posts: 1121
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:23 am

Re: W&L c/o 2016

Postby kay2016 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:17 pm

I got 30k a year.

I'm happy with it, I may end up going to ASW, but it's just hard to compete with other offers.'especially since this is mostly non negotiable

dip_spLitter
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 1:17 am

Re: W&L c/o 2016

Postby dip_spLitter » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:41 pm

I realize this might be the wrong thread but please bare with me,

To any current W&L students, how many people in your classes are shooting for NYC biglaw? I have looked at the recent employment data and seen that about 10-20 people get it every year but am wondering if this is partially self selection or if most want it but only the top students get it? Currently W&L is my highest ranked option and I would love to attend for a number of reasons but NYC is the end goal for me. Realistic?

User avatar
crossingfingers
Posts: 171
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:20 pm

Re: W&L c/o 2016

Postby crossingfingers » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:36 pm

Has anyone who was waitlisted sent a LoCI yet? I've drafted mine, but it's the first one I'm sending and I don't want to do something out of line. I read Ken's LoCI thread, but it hasn't been used for a while, anyone know if we should snail-mail or send via email? I met with Dean McShay and talked with him for about 10 minutes at an LSAC forum and he's certainly very accessible, but it is obnoxious to email it directly to him? Thanks in advance!

User avatar
JXander
Posts: 960
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:23 am

Re: W&L c/o 2016

Postby JXander » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:03 pm

crossingfingers wrote:Has anyone who was waitlisted sent a LoCI yet? I've drafted mine, but it's the first one I'm sending and I don't want to do something out of line. I read Ken's LoCI thread, but it hasn't been used for a while, anyone know if we should snail-mail or send via email? I met with Dean McShay and talked with him for about 10 minutes at an LSAC forum and he's certainly very accessible, but it is obnoxious to email it directly to him? Thanks in advance!

I did the interview of which he spoke on the waitlist letter. I would definitely recommend that. Some of the questions were a bit tricky, but I could tell that it definitely made a difference.

User avatar
crossingfingers
Posts: 171
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:20 pm

Re: W&L c/o 2016

Postby crossingfingers » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:13 pm

JXander wrote:
crossingfingers wrote:Has anyone who was waitlisted sent a LoCI yet? I've drafted mine, but it's the first one I'm sending and I don't want to do something out of line. I read Ken's LoCI thread, but it hasn't been used for a while, anyone know if we should snail-mail or send via email? I met with Dean McShay and talked with him for about 10 minutes at an LSAC forum and he's certainly very accessible, but it is obnoxious to email it directly to him? Thanks in advance!

I did the interview of which he spoke on the waitlist letter. I would definitely recommend that. Some of the questions were a bit tricky, but I could tell that it definitely made a difference.


Thanks! I intend to, but I'm going to do my best to get out there for one of the preview days, where they do an interview as well. I'm in California, so it's a long ways, but I really want to do everything I can to get in. If I can't make it, I'll set up a phone interview, but I wanted to try and make it back there first. What kinds of tricky questions? Is it more like a job interview than most of these other schools are? Best of luck riding out this waitlist!

User avatar
sl5uw13
Posts: 163
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:43 pm

Re: W&L c/o 2016

Postby sl5uw13 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:05 pm

Full tuition scholarship!! $42,425!!

User avatar
kuttlefish
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:29 pm

Re: W&L c/o 2016

Postby kuttlefish » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:45 pm

sl5uw13 wrote:Full tuition scholarship!! $42,425!!

Out of curiosity, what are the stips? And I'm assuming it stays full tuition, even if tuition increases. It just seems weird that they have a $40k scholarship in addition to a full ride.

Oh and congratulations!

User avatar
sl5uw13
Posts: 163
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:43 pm

Re: W&L c/o 2016

Postby sl5uw13 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:59 pm

kuttlefish wrote:
sl5uw13 wrote:Full tuition scholarship!! $42,425!!

Out of curiosity, what are the stips? And I'm assuming it stays full tuition, even if tuition increases. It just seems weird that they have a $40k scholarship in addition to a full ride.

Oh and congratulations!


meh, not sure about if it stays the same. it is I suppose the 40k scholarship that this year equals the amount of full tuition. the stips are 3.25, top 60%

User avatar
presh
Posts: 8006
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:00 am

Re: W&L c/o 2016

Postby presh » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:38 pm

dip_spLitter wrote:I realize this might be the wrong thread but please bare with me,

To any current W&L students, how many people in your classes are shooting for NYC biglaw? I have looked at the recent employment data and seen that about 10-20 people get it every year but am wondering if this is partially self selection or if most want it but only the top students get it? Currently W&L is my highest ranked option and I would love to attend for a number of reasons but NYC is the end goal for me. Realistic?


That's more or less the number of people who can get it, though there is a fair amount of self-selection to other areas. W&L doesn't send a ton of people to biglaw.

Gisney
Posts: 403
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:32 pm

Re: W&L c/o 2016

Postby Gisney » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:16 pm

sl5uw13 wrote:Full tuition scholarship!! $42,425!!


+1

Makes things interesting as far as where I will be next year.


Are you taking it or are you still looking at other schools?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”