W&L c/o 2016

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
dip_spLitter

Re: W&L c/o 2016

Postby dip_spLitter » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:13 pm

Anyone else seen this?

"NOTE: Due to extensive residence hall renovations beginning in the summer 2013, on campus housing will only be provided for W&L undergraduate students. Unfortunately, we will not be able to accommodate law students until renovation projects conclude in the late summer of 2015."

Saw it on the Law Student Housing tab on the main university page and it caught my eye. Any current W&L students care to point some of us that live out of state in the direction of finding housing? I looked at craigslist but the closest I can find is Roanoke.

Dubyuhnell

Postby Dubyuhnell » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:38 pm

dip_spLitter wrote:Anyone else seen this?

"NOTE: Due to extensive residence hall renovations beginning in the summer 2013, on campus housing will only be provided for W&L undergraduate students. Unfortunately, we will not be able to accommodate law students until renovation projects conclude in the late summer of 2015."

Saw it on the Law Student Housing tab on the main university page and it caught my eye. Any current W&L students care to point some of us that live out of state in the direction of finding housing? I looked at craigslist but the closest I can find is Roanoke.

Trust me you dont want to live in the student housing anyways...on the roanoake craigslist go to the housing section and type in lexington in the search bar...i found my house on craigslist and i love it...there is also a link on the w&L admitted student website about housing http://law.wlu.edu/admissions/page.asp? ... 494...this has links to all the local realtors website and contact info...I would definately call them because they dont have a full listing of property available on the websites most of the time...also its a little early to find most places as the current students probably havent given a notice of whether they are moving out or not yet...Around Feb and March are when most places start opening up..so you have some time

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:39 pm

FortunaGubernans wrote:
talesofyore wrote:Did anyone's mailman/mailwoman/mailperson arrive with their scholarship (or lack thereof) letter yet?

Mine came, and it was nothing but ads. I made an unhappy face at the mailbox. It looked like this: :cry:

NOTHING IN MY MAILBOX. Why usps. Why.
I think all law school related mailings should be sent fedex overnight. 8AM delivery

talesofyore

Postby talesofyore » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:54 pm

FortunaGubernans wrote:
talesofyore wrote:Did anyone's mailman/mailwoman/mailperson arrive with their scholarship (or lack thereof) letter yet?

Mine came, and it was nothing but ads. I made an unhappy face at the mailbox. It looked like this: :cry:

Yeah, I decided to go home for lunch in order to save money (but really to check the mail). My mailbox contained one lone Allstate advertisement. :evil:

talesofyore

Postby talesofyore » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:56 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
FortunaGubernans wrote:

I think all law school related mailings should be sent fedex overnight. 8AM delivery

For me, a simple email would suffice. They can attach the letter as a pdf file if they have their hearts set on it looking fancy.

FortunaGubernans

Postby FortunaGubernans » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:58 pm

talesofyore wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
FortunaGubernans wrote:

For me, a simple email would suffice. They can attach the letter as a pdf file if they have their heart set on it looking fancy.

I second both of these sentiments. And the one earlier about torture.

presh

Postby presh » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:32 pm

Dubyuhnell wrote:
dip_spLitter wrote:Anyone else seen this?

Trust me you dont want to live in the student housing anyways...on the roanoake craigslist go to the housing section and type in lexington in the search bar...i found my house on craigslist and i love it...there is also a link on the w&L admitted student website about housing http://law.wlu.edu/admissions/page.asp? ... 494...this has links to all the local realtors website and contact info...I would definately call them because they dont have a full listing of property available on the websites most of the time...also its a little early to find most places as the current students probably havent given a notice of whether they are moving out or not yet...Around Feb and March are when most places start opening up..so you have some time

Second this, the student housing for law students was depressing as fuck anyway. Don't stress about it too much, apartments won't start opening up for a couple months anyway, and you can usually find decent stuff right up until orientation. I know waitlisters who got decent apartments.

If you can, go down in person because a lot of the apartments are converted houses/independent landlord type things. But Emily Reel is pretty popular as far as rental agents go and usually has a decent inventory.

There are a few apartment complexes around. Generals Retreat is close to the school and decent, but a bit pricey for the size. Magnolia Square is a bit out of town (still like a 5ish min drive though), and about as ritzy as Lexington Apartments get. A bit farther out by the Walmart there are some nice townhouses you can rent. Also, Borden Commons is really close to the law school, and you can usually find a few condos that are for rent there.

2012Lsatscore

Postby 2012Lsatscore » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:32 am

Last edited by 2012Lsatscore on Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:45 am

2012Lsatscore wrote::shock: Got my neighbor's Netflix today...

People still use Netflix discs?? :shock:

2012Lsatscore

Postby 2012Lsatscore » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:02 am

Last edited by 2012Lsatscore on Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jdawgie

Postby Jdawgie » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:50 am

In with 3,27 165 URM

Any idea when we can hear about scholarship info?

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:14 am

Jdawgie wrote:In with 3,27 165 URM

Congratulations!! I'm sure you'll get mad $$$$$. They mail them every Tuesday. All come in reg mail. No email or phone info for that.

Jdawgie

Postby Jdawgie » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:23 am

JayJones78 wrote:
Jdawgie wrote:In with 3,27 165 URM

Congratulations!! I'm sure you'll get mad $$$$$. They mail them every Tuesday. All come in reg mail. No email or phone info for that.

You seem confident! I'm not so sure, I feel I'm at the lower end of stats.

Any reasoning to expect a generous offer? I'm thrilled at the small class size and small town vibe. Hopefully being LGBT and Mexi/White/Asian can do me some good...

sl5uw13

Postby sl5uw13 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:05 pm

got the scholarship letter mailed status checker update!

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:07 pm

sl5uw13 wrote:got the scholarship letter mailed status checker update!

Here's to hoping my mail man will arrive with both my scholy info & my ND decision letter!

kuttlefish

Postby kuttlefish » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:26 pm

Jdawgie wrote: I'm thrilled at the small class size and small town vibe.

Is it still a small class size or are they now up to 200+ students? I thought I read somewhere that they've been experimenting with a "super" class.

Dubyuhnell

Postby Dubyuhnell » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:00 pm

kuttlefish wrote:
Jdawgie wrote: I'm thrilled at the small class size and small town vibe.

Is it still a small class size or are they now up to 200+ students? I thought I read somewhere that they've been experimenting with a "super" class.

Yeah that's not happening my class was huge on accident and the powers that be We're not all that happy with it.. The target class size I think is around 125

cheymao

Postby cheymao » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:27 pm

scholarship letter arrived this morning. I'm in CA...

talesofyore

Postby talesofyore » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:41 pm

cheymao wrote:scholarship letter arrived this morning. I'm in CA...

What did it say?! Do they seem like the generous type? I can't get mine until I leave work.

szb5058

Postby szb5058 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:28 pm

just got my scholarship in the mail as well. 40K for the first year guaranteed, renewed for the next years if i maintain a 3.25 which they claim 60% of the class will get. Was hoping for a more stable scholly without stipulations....just makes the risk of attending that much greater

FortunaGubernans

Postby FortunaGubernans » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:35 pm

Mine is 30k as long as i maintain a 3.15. I'm pretty pleased.

Dubyuhnell

Postby Dubyuhnell » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:35 pm

szb5058 wrote:just got my scholarship in the mail as well. 40K for the first year guaranteed, renewed for the next years if i maintain a 3.25 which they claim 60% of the class will get. Was hoping for a more stable scholly without stipulations....just makes the risk of attending that much greater

Hey, First congrats on the huge scholly, in regards to the stip i wouldnt really worry about it at W&L they have a policy of trying hartd not to reduce peoples scholarship ( i think this is posted on the website and they will tell you this during asw and orientation if you decide to attend) if you fall below the stipuated GPA they will call you into the deans office adn talk to you about what happened...as along as you can show them that you really tried and put in the effort and werent out partying every night and what not they will leave your scholasrhip alone...in the past three years only 18 scholarships have been reduced and 1 person has had their it completely revoked

szb5058

Postby szb5058 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:37 pm

wow Dubyuhnell just made me feel so much better :)
Dubyuhnell wrote:
szb5058 wrote:just got my scholarship in the mail as well. 40K for the first year guaranteed, renewed for the next years if i maintain a 3.25 which they claim 60% of the class will get. Was hoping for a more stable scholly without stipulations....just makes the risk of attending that much greater

Hey, First congrats on the huge scholly, in regards to the stip i wouldnt really worry about it at W&L they have a policy of trying hartd not to reduce peoples scholarship ( i think this is posted on the website and they will tell you this during asw and orientation if you decide to attend) if you fall below the stipuated GPA they will call you into the deans office adn talk to you about what happened...as along as you can show them that you really tried and put in the effort and werent out partying every night and what not they will leave your scholasrhip alone...in the past three years only 18 scholarships have been reduced and 1 person has had their it completely revoked

muhami

Postby muhami » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:40 pm

Admitted! - waiting for scholly info!
Last edited by muhami on Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:42 pm

Last edited by wannabelawstudent on Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”