W&L c/o 2016 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
dirtrida2

Bronze

Re: W&L c/o 2016

Post by dirtrida2 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:29 pm

NewYorkL wrote:Yeah, I'm going to see if I can make it out to one of those preview days for people on the waitlist then send an loci.

You would pay sticker to go?

Thats my only caveat - it's not worth the effort to me because I couldn't see paying stick for W&L.

2012Lsatscore

Silver

Post by 2012Lsatscore » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:33 pm

Last edited by 2012Lsatscore on Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

WanderingPondering

Bronze

Post by WanderingPondering » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:34 pm

Any waitlist movement going on here yet?

dirtrida2

Bronze

Post by dirtrida2 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:35 pm

2012Lsatscore wrote:
dirtrida2 wrote:
NewYorkL wrote:Yeah, I'm going to see if I can make it out to one of those preview days for people on the waitlist then send an loci.

Thats my only caveat - it's not worth the effort to me because I couldn't see paying stick for W&L.
+1

Do NOOOTTT pay sticker ANYWHERE outside the T-14. I love W&L and it is my #2, but I am getting cold with the tuition AFTER my 90k scholly. Sticker would be crazy.

So do you have any idea where you want to go?

:lol:

2012Lsatscore

Silver

Post by 2012Lsatscore » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:39 pm

Last edited by 2012Lsatscore on Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dirtrida2

Bronze

Post by dirtrida2 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:45 pm

[Me?]

I know where I want to go, unfortunately they don't want me there. :cry:

I'm gonna visit UGA and take it from there. Right now I'm just getting major cold feet with the whole thing. 40k in pure tuition is a lot of freakin money.
Yea I was all excited at the beginning of the cycle, now I have a job and im saving up some money, etc...

The whole tuition pricing and mediocre job prospects (at least for people with my LSAT) is depressing.

2012Lsatscore

Silver

Post by 2012Lsatscore » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:46 pm

Last edited by 2012Lsatscore on Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:59 pm

patricksouthern wrote:Just got an email indicating my application is now in review. Status checker agrees. Hope to hear some good news in the coming weeks!

Good luck!

re: taking on debt
I think this is a really personal Q that is compiled by so many factors like what are you bringing in, how "scared' of debt and how confident you are for having the ability to repay it (yes, I know this against TLS methodology where you have to assume you're going to be either median or not) and your career aspiration. I am going to start school next year with a clear indication that is two fold: One is that I HAVE TO DO BIG LAW in order to repay the money. Two is that I want to do biglaw, and that's something I was interested in doing well before starting the process. If your aspirations are different and you're more PI oriented, or dont even know you want to practice law or work in a traditional law firm than yes, you should be much more debt adverse. The bottom line is that LS is an expensive venture, it was and always will be. And most people pay sticker, even to TTTs and below, and many people choose to pay sticker to attend a better school that will give them better opportunities. The TLS methodology is mostly very good. But every situation is different. For the most part, the recommendations here are set for the traditional 20 some applicants who can afford to take a year off and just retake until they get what they need (and I have no interest into taking the thread in that direction) W&L, if played well can give you great opportunities. I know that in TLS sphere a school ranked 26 is like a dead zone. In the real world many many people would love to get the opportunity to go there or school similar to it (sorry for the length)

talesofyore

Bronze

Post by talesofyore » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:28 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
patricksouthern wrote:Just got an email indicating my application is now in review. Status checker agrees. Hope to hear some good news in the coming weeks!

Good luck!

I know that in TLS sphere a school ranked 26 is like a dead zone. In the real world many many people would love to get the opportunity to go there or school similar to it (sorry for the length)

This. I've met practicing lawyers who are doing well who are REALLY impressed that I got into W&L.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dirtrida2

Bronze

Post by dirtrida2 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:33 pm

JayJones78 wrote:

Good luck!

I think this is a really personal Q that is compiled by so many factors like what are you bringing in, how "scared' of debt and how confident you are for having the ability to repay it (yes, I know this against TLS methodology where you have to assume you're going to be either median or not) and your career aspiration. I am going to start school next year with a clear indication that is two fold: One is that I HAVE TO DO BIG LAW in order to repay the money. Two is that I want to do biglaw, and that's something I was interested in doing well before starting the process. If your aspirations are different and you're more PI oriented, or dont even know you want to practice law or work in a traditional law firm than yes, you should be much more debt adverse. The bottom line is that LS is an expensive venture, it was and always will be. And most people pay sticker, even to TTTs and below, and many people choose to pay sticker to attend a better school that will give them better opportunities. The TLS methodology is mostly very good. But every situation is different. For the most part, the recommendations here are set for the traditional 20 some applicants who can afford to take a year off and just retake until they get what they need (and I have no interest into taking the thread in that direction) W&L, if played well can give you great opportunities. I know that in TLS sphere a school ranked 26 is like a dead zone. In the real world many many people would love to get the opportunity to go there or school similar to it (sorry for the length)

While I think WL is great and so is the area - I just wish they placed better in big law.

That is the main reason I couldn't see myself paying sticker.

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:39 pm

dirtrida2 wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:

Good luck!

While I think WL is great and so is the area - I just wish they placed better in big law.

That is the main reason I couldn't see myself paying sticker.
I spoke with 3Ls when I was at ASW and what I got is that the oppertunity is there. It's def not out for the taking but it's there. One of the good things about a small class is that there is less to compete with. Many come to W&L because of their good placement (for their rankings)in clerkships. What I got is that those people that wanted biglaw and had the grades, got it. This is really no different than many of their peer schools or even schools a little higher on the list. Which is why I'm debating over why would I take WashU (if accepted) over W&L for east coast biglaw.

Mets0213

New

Post by Mets0213 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:55 pm

I'm sorry Jay but the idea of taking out a six figure loan to attend a school with just okay (which is generous) placement in biglaw is terrifying. W&L is a great school, no doubt, and highly respected. I'm not knocking the caliber of the school or its students. No one has any idea what the legal market is evolving into post-crash and no one will know what the economy will be like when you graduate in May 2016. I urge you to rethink this, I know taking a year off and waiting sucks, but it will be worth it.

I understand you don't want to take another year off and retake but hear me out. Wouldn't it be better to wait out a year get a great scholarship offer instead of having to work off years of hundreds of thousands of dollars? Wouldn't taking that year off and retaking save you hundreds of thousands of dollars of income, years of debt, and incredible stress down the line? I'm sure you are bright and driven, but most people going to W&L probably are as well. This is not a knock on you, this is just a scary, scary gamble with bad odds. Can you defer W&L, so you won't be as stressed during the LSAT, retake next year and negotiate for more money? You will have that acceptance with you and will take the stress of the test taking.

Also, because the class at W&L is smaller and it does mean you will be competing with less kids but it doesn't change the fact that the odds are the still the same despite the school's size. You will still face unfavorable odds to be in that top 10%.

Good luck with everything and I implore you to just rethink the decision to borrow six figures of debt in this economy.

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:02 pm

Mets0213 wrote:I'm sorry Jay but the idea of taking out a six figure loan to attend a school with just okay (which is generous) placement in biglaw is terrifying. W&L is a great school, no doubt, and highly respected. I'm not knocking the caliber of the school or its students. No one has any idea what the legal market is evolving into post-crash and no one will know what the economy will be like when you graduate in May 2016. I urge you to rethink this, I know taking a year off and waiting sucks, but it will be worth it.

I understand you don't want to take another year off and retake but hear me out. Wouldn't it be better to wait out a year get a great scholarship offer instead of having to work off years of hundreds of thousands of dollars? Wouldn't taking that year off and retaking save you hundreds of thousands of dollars of income, years of debt, and incredible stress down the line? I'm sure you are bright and driven, but most people going to W&L probably are as well. This is not a knock on you, this is just a scary, scary gamble with bad odds. Can you defer W&L, so you won't be as stressed during the LSAT, retake next year and negotiate for more money? You will have that acceptance with you and will take the stress of the test taking.

Also, because the class at W&L is smaller and it does mean you will be competing with less kids but it doesn't change the fact that the odds are the still the same despite the school's size. You will still face unfavorable odds to be in that top 10%.

Good luck with everything and I implore you to just rethink the decision to borrow six figures of debt in this economy.
Thanks for the detailed response. For many many reasons I can't and won't take a year of at this point in my life. It's just not in the cards for me.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

NewYorkL

Bronze

Post by NewYorkL » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:30 pm

dirtrida2 wrote:

I hear the campus is beautiful and I actually have family out there may help with COL so I'm going to check it out. Also I hear some people get money of waitlists so I'm might as well try to get off it even if the chances are low.

NewYorkL

Bronze

Post by NewYorkL » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:32 pm

Just stole the last spot for preview day on April 6. :twisted:

Minorities are coming :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

lhanvt13

Gold

Post by lhanvt13 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:14 pm

revive!
so what are you guys doing over the summer before school?

2012Lsatscore

Silver

Post by 2012Lsatscore » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:53 pm

Last edited by 2012Lsatscore on Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lhanvt13

Gold

Post by lhanvt13 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:31 pm

2012Lsatscore wrote:
lhanvt13 wrote:revive!
I'm working all summer. Anyone investing in LEEWS?
yup. gotta gunner-up

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:34 pm

lhanvt13 wrote:
2012Lsatscore wrote:
lhanvt13 wrote:revive!
I'm working all summer. Anyone investing in LEEWS?
yup. gotta gunner-up
Why or why not to do it?

Also got a pamphlet about general law school prep course. I don't know, I'm skeptical with all these things.

wannabelawstudent

Gold

Post by wannabelawstudent » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:36 pm

I'm reading getting to maybe right now. I'm gonna wait til after I finish to decide what's next.

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:37 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote:I'm reading getting to maybe right now. I'm gonna wait til after I finish to decide what's next.
What's next with what? It to apply to LS? :shock:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

wannabelawstudent

Gold

Post by wannabelawstudent » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:38 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
wannabelawstudent wrote:I'm reading getting to maybe right now. I'm gonna wait til after I finish to decide what's next.
what's next as far as pre-law school prep.

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:44 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
I see. I should start getting into the whole pre LS prep

lhanvt13

Gold

Post by lhanvt13 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:46 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
yeah I got LEEWS as a hand-me-down so didn't have to pay for it.
probably hopping on it since I got nothing better to do than make myself feel like I'm getting ahead.
GTM, LEEWS, 1L of a ride, etc you know the whole shebang.

lhanvt13

Gold

Post by lhanvt13 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:48 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
wannabelawstudent wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
I see. I should start getting into the whole pre LS prep
a lot of people say it's unnecessary but I see a lot of diff advices here and there so idk.
I'm incorporating arrow's guide http://www.top-law-schools.com/loyola-study-advice.html

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”