Florida International University (FIU) c/o 2016 applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Ale7777
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:53 am

Re: Florida International University (FIU) c/o 2016 applicants

Postby Ale7777 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:01 am

Anyone who applied and got accepted but is not planning to attend, PLEASE send them an email withdrawing your application. I did this with the other schools that I was accepted in that I know I wont be attending, I just kept one as a back-up if Im not accepted in FIU. I hope I get accepted because I attended FIU undergrad and got a 3.7 but was placed on hold for my LSAT score which was not that great. Anyway, its good karma, please withdraw if you plan on going elsewhere to open up more spots for those who do want to go to FIU :wink:

ashleydy10
Posts: 120
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:38 am

Re: Florida International University (FIU) c/o 2016 applicants

Postby ashleydy10 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:25 am

Ale7777 wrote:Anyone who applied and got accepted but is not planning to attend, PLEASE send them an email withdrawing your application. I did this with the other schools that I was accepted in that I know I wont be attending, I just kept one as a back-up if Im not accepted in FIU. I hope I get accepted because I attended FIU undergrad and got a 3.7 but was placed on hold for my LSAT score which was not that great. Anyway, its good karma, please withdraw if you plan on going elsewhere to open up more spots for those who do want to go to FIU :wink:



some may not want to withdraw yet because FIU has been sooooo slow to get scholly info out.. I KNOW that i qualify for a good scholly, but i havent received anything from them.. so until i do, I dont know what im turning down. I've gotten into higher ranked schools, but if FIU turns out to be the cheapest option, it may weigh on my decision. I think many will wait until they are able to make an informed decision. Without scholly info, that is hard to do.

Mister Gold
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:54 pm

Re: Florida International University (FIU) c/o 2016 applicants

Postby Mister Gold » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:38 pm

^ exactly. My status checker has said "decision rendered - letter mailed" since February 13th. I have yet to receive anything in the mail from them. One day I just started receiving emails about events for admitted students, and I wasn't sure I had actually been accepted until I called the admissions office. I'm in Maryland, so I expect a little bit of a delay when receiving mail from FIU, but it's been almost 2 full weeks, and that's just for the acceptance letter. Who knows when my aid package will be completed.

Hang in there Ale7777. I know that FIU has started sending out aid packages to some of the admitted students, so there's certainly potential for some withdrawals and new acceptances in the next few weeks.

ashleydy10
Posts: 120
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:38 am

Re: Florida International University (FIU) c/o 2016 applicants

Postby ashleydy10 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:44 pm

Mister Gold wrote:^ exactly. My status checker has said "decision rendered - letter mailed" since February 13th. I have yet to receive anything in the mail from them. One day I just started receiving emails about events for admitted students, and I wasn't sure I had actually been accepted until I called the admissions office. I'm in Maryland, so I expect a little bit of a delay when receiving mail from FIU, but it's been almost 2 full weeks, and that's just for the acceptance letter. Who knows when my aid package will be completed.

Hang in there Ale7777. I know that FIU has started sending out aid packages to some of the admitted students, so there's certainly potential for some withdrawals and new acceptances in the next few weeks.




My acceptance letter took 3 weeks to receive and i live 15 minutes away lol. so hang in there. it will NOT include scholly info or anything flashy.. simple letter with a green form to fill out if you want to matriculate.. boring stuff lol.. if i didnt know i was in, i may think it was a tiny denial letter lol.

SoJerz13
Posts: 95
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:40 am

Re: Florida International University (FIU) c/o 2016 applicants

Postby SoJerz13 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:42 pm

Is anyone else going to the scholarship weekend March 15-17th?

User avatar
Honey_Badger
Posts: 195
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:57 pm

Re: Florida International University (FIU) c/o 2016 applicants

Postby Honey_Badger » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:36 pm

Ale7777 wrote:Anyone who applied and got accepted but is not planning to attend, PLEASE send them an email withdrawing your application. I did this with the other schools that I was accepted in that I know I wont be attending, I just kept one as a back-up if Im not accepted in FIU. I hope I get accepted because I attended FIU undergrad and got a 3.7 but was placed on hold for my LSAT score which was not that great. Anyway, its good karma, please withdraw if you plan on going elsewhere to open up more spots for those who do want to go to FIU :wink:


+1

User avatar
slawww
Posts: 657
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:44 pm

Re: Florida International University (FIU) c/o 2016 applicants

Postby slawww » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:09 pm

Honey_Badger wrote:
Ale7777 wrote:Anyone who applied and got accepted but is not planning to attend, PLEASE send them an email withdrawing your application. I did this with the other schools that I was accepted in that I know I wont be attending, I just kept one as a back-up if Im not accepted in FIU. I hope I get accepted because I attended FIU undergrad and got a 3.7 but was placed on hold for my LSAT score which was not that great. Anyway, its good karma, please withdraw if you plan on going elsewhere to open up more spots for those who do want to go to FIU :wink:


+1


I'm about 97.29% sure I'll be withdrawing soon. Good luck!

Ale7777
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:53 am

Re: Florida International University (FIU) c/o 2016 applicants

Postby Ale7777 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:22 pm

:D Best of luck to you!

sofl_law
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:11 pm

Re: Florida International University (FIU) c/o 2016 applicants

Postby sofl_law » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:01 pm

I actually just withdrew yesterday and I had a hefty scholarship so hopefully the money goes to someone who also deserves it! Good luck you guys and congrats on getting accepted! FIU Law is a great school!

geebers819
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:52 pm

Re: Florida International University (FIU) c/o 2016 applicants

Postby geebers819 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:30 am

SoJerz13 wrote:Is anyone else going to the scholarship weekend March 15-17th?


I believe its actually March 22-23? Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

SoJerz13
Posts: 95
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:40 am

Re: Florida International University (FIU) c/o 2016 applicants

Postby SoJerz13 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:02 pm

geebers819 wrote:
SoJerz13 wrote:Is anyone else going to the scholarship weekend March 15-17th?


I believe its actually March 22-23? Someone correct me if i'm wrong.


Yea you're right, they gave me the wrong date on the phone and corrected it via e-mail.

SoJerz13
Posts: 95
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:40 am

Re: Florida International University (FIU) c/o 2016 applicants

Postby SoJerz13 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:21 am

So is anyone going this weekend? They are flying me down on Thursday.

User avatar
slawww
Posts: 657
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:44 pm

Re: Florida International University (FIU) c/o 2016 applicants

Postby slawww » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:51 pm

Withdrew my app. Hope that helps one of y'all!

Ale7777
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:53 am

Re: Florida International University (FIU) c/o 2016 applicants

Postby Ale7777 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:37 am

slawww wrote:Withdrew my app. Hope that helps one of y'all!


Thanks!

Username123
Posts: 742
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 2:26 am

Re: Florida International University (FIU) c/o 2016 applicants

Postby Username123 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:45 pm

Anyone know if FIU has a policy with their deposits? I am on three waitlists and plan to wait them out. I don't have to withdraw those waitlists if I am deposited at FIU do I?

Mister Gold
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:54 pm

Re: Florida International University (FIU) c/o 2016 applicants

Postby Mister Gold » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:16 pm

Uschoolqb10 wrote:Anyone know if FIU has a policy with their deposits? I am on three waitlists and plan to wait them out. I don't have to withdraw those waitlists if I am deposited at FIU do I?


No, you don't have to withdraw from the waitlist at other schools. I submitted my seat deposit at FIU earlier this week, but I am still on the waitlist at two other places.

yramos90
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:35 pm

Re: Florida International University (FIU) c/o 2016 applicants

Postby yramos90 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:02 pm

Anybody know of a good place to live around the FIU/ Miami/Miami Lakes area that isn't too expensive and clean???

User avatar
alwayssunnyinfl
Posts: 4100
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:34 pm

Re: Florida International University (FIU) c/o 2016 applicants

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:10 pm

yramos90 wrote:Anybody know of a good place to live around the FIU/ Miami/Miami Lakes area that isn't too expensive and clean???

There are some decent places closer to the city or further north in Broward, but it's really rough finding good, cheap places around FIU. They're there, but the most likely scenarios are either paying a premium for the few nice places nearby or commuting.

Mister Gold
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:54 pm

Re: Florida International University (FIU) c/o 2016 applicants

Postby Mister Gold » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:45 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:There are some decent places closer to the city


Can you reccomend any places in particular? I'm not from the area and my Internet search hasn't been going so well. I know that traffic can be very bad in Miami so I'm hesitant to live too far from campus, but there doesn't seem to be many great options nearby. Is living downtown completely out of the question?

TIA for any help or suggestions.

User avatar
alwayssunnyinfl
Posts: 4100
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:34 pm

Re: Florida International University (FIU) c/o 2016 applicants

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:56 pm

Mister Gold wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:There are some decent places closer to the city


Can you reccomend any places in particular? I'm not from the area and my Internet search hasn't been going so well. I know that traffic can be very bad in Miami so I'm hesitant to live too far from campus, but there doesn't seem to be many great options nearby. Is living downtown completely out of the question?

TIA for any help or suggestions.


http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 0#p5914873

That's a post I made a while ago in response to a poster asking about living in Miami, especially without a car. I'm currently in UG at FIU, and most of my classmates live all over Miami-Dade. My advice would be to settle on how long of a commute you'd be comfortable with and then casting a wide, wide net. Living near a freeway/expressway will make your life much easier. Most of the traffic nightmares in Miami are on surface streets.

I used to live where Little Havana and Brickell meet, and it wasn't bad. The commute was only about 20 minutes and I was close to everything that goes on in Brickell. It's unfortunate that the Metro doesn't go to FIU and that there aren't really any lively areas near campus, so you're going to have to decide if suburban life can be enough or if living in the city and commuting is more of the way to go for you.

Mister Gold
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:54 pm

Re: Florida International University (FIU) c/o 2016 applicants

Postby Mister Gold » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:43 pm

sent you a PM alwayssunny, I don't want to hijack the thread.

steph7691
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:19 pm

Re: Florida International University (FIU) c/o 2016 applicants

Postby steph7691 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:32 pm

My status changed yesterday to desicion rendered, letter sent. If I do not have a seat deposit charge does this mean I wasn't accepted? Did everyones change immediately??

Thanks!

Mister Gold
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:54 pm

Re: Florida International University (FIU) c/o 2016 applicants

Postby Mister Gold » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:32 pm

steph7691 wrote:My status changed yesterday to desicion rendered, letter sent. If I do not have a seat deposit charge does this mean I wasn't accepted? Did everyones change immediately??


It doesn't mean anything. Mine said the same thing for several weeks after the decision was rendered, and I was accepted. It took at least 2 weeks for the seat deposit to appear on my status checker. I know that some people had the deposit appear right away, but that is not the case for everybody.

Good luck.

jnegron9
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:43 pm

Re: Florida International University (FIU) c/o 2016 applicants

Postby jnegron9 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:56 pm

So on April 4th my status changed to "Decision Rendered, Letter Sent." But, I have yet to receive any letter and I actually live close to the campus. I decided to give the admissions office a call today, in order to find out my status, only to be told that my application is still "pending review". Now I'm confused in whether I should even be expecting a letter or not. Has anyone else had this happened to them?

Mister Gold
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:54 pm

Re: Florida International University (FIU) c/o 2016 applicants

Postby Mister Gold » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:54 pm

jnegron9 wrote:So on April 4th my status changed to "Decision Rendered, Letter Sent." But, I have yet to receive any letter and I actually live close to the campus. I decided to give the admissions office a call today, in order to find out my status, only to be told that my application is still "pending review". Now I'm confused in whether I should even be expecting a letter or not. Has anyone else had this happened to them?


Yes, and it has been discussed in this forum thread, so you can read through it for details if you want. Basically though, there are 4 possible decisions that can be rendered upon an application. Accept, Deny, Waitlist, or Hold. If your status checker indicates that a decision has been rendered, and the admissions office is telling you that your application is still pending, its likely that they decided to place your app on "hold". This means that they will review it at a later date. Its very late in the cycle for this to happen though, I think by this point they probably have a very good idea what their incoming class will look like. Seat deposits were due on April 1st, so most people have committed/withdrawn at this point.

When did you submit your app?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”