Florida International University (FIU) c/o 2016 applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
floridamba

Re: Florida International University (FIU) c/o 2016 applicants

Postby floridamba » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:52 pm

Can anyone accepted to the part time program give me some LSAT and GPA numbers ? Thanks

floridamba

Postby floridamba » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:30 pm

I received the letter....I am at hold, can someone tell me how long they take to make a decision?

SoJerz13

Postby SoJerz13 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:37 pm

Was contacted by the scholarship committee today via phone. Given $62k over 3 years with 2.9 GPA stipulation

Honey_Badger

Postby Honey_Badger » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:53 pm

SoJerz13 wrote:Was contacted by the scholarship committee today via phone. Given $62k over 3 years with 2.9 GPA stipulation

Wow. Just, wow. CONGRATS!

Honey_Badger

Postby Honey_Badger » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:54 pm

floridamba wrote:I received the letter....I am at hold, can someone tell me how long they take to make a decision?

This. +1000.

Postby 1693 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:12 am

SoJerz13 wrote:Was contacted by the scholarship committee today via phone. Given $62k over 3 years with 2.9 GPA stipulation

Wow- congrats! Would you mind PMing me your LSAT/GPA? Really curious to get that kind of money. Congrats again!!

Mdenis1

Postby Mdenis1 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:18 am

1693 wrote:

Wow- congrats! Would you mind PMing me your LSAT/GPA? Really curious to get that kind of money. Congrats again!!

Me too I wanna know! Also are you FL resident?

Mdenis1

Postby Mdenis1 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:22 am

ashleydy10 wrote:
Mdenis1 wrote:
ashleydy10 wrote:Checking in. I got in back in December. FIU undergrad. If anyone has questions about the school, area, or staff I'd be happy to answer.

Most likley not going to FIU unless they come up with a huge scholarship. Does anyone have info on scholarship offers? When to expect them?

I got one via postal mail about 2 weeks after my acceptance. 10k a year (with a stip). My #s are in profile. I got another letter just before Christmas, telling me I could get another 5k (so 15k per year, I'm out of state so I would still have to pay 18k per year) and that I just had to request it. I wrote them an email about it 2 weeks ago and no answer... I'll write back in a few days I guess.

weird. I have not received anything from them. LSAT is way above, GPA right at median. I was counting FIU as a sure thing for a serious scholarship. I received great offers from well ranked schools. Not too concerned though.. doesnt look like im going there as of now. Is FIU a good option for you?

They don't seem to give a lot of $$ in scholarships. I got way better offers from higher-ranked schools (GWU, USC...). Just wait a little bit, maybe you'll receive something soon. I haven't set my mind yet. But if they only give me what they have offered me (*correction: they offered me 10k a year, not 5k. the other 5k i was talking about is a need-based thing they told me about but I'm not eligible because international...), I would probably be better off either at USC or GWU (or Boalt at sticker... my bank account would hate me though) or at UF with 16k.

Mdenis1

Postby Mdenis1 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:25 am

ashleydy10 wrote:
Mdenis1 wrote:
ashleydy10 wrote:Checking in. I got in back in December. FIU undergrad. If anyone has questions about the school, area, or staff I'd be happy to answer.

Most likley not going to FIU unless they come up with a huge scholarship. Does anyone have info on scholarship offers? When to expect them?

I got one via postal mail about 2 weeks after my acceptance. 10k a year (with a stip). My #s are in profile. I got another letter just before Christmas, telling me I could get another 5k (so 15k per year, I'm out of state so I would still have to pay 18k per year) and that I just had to request it. I wrote them an email about it 2 weeks ago and no answer... I'll write back in a few days I guess.

Just kidding! I just looked at your numbers. Congrats on such an outstanding accomplishment! I sincerely hope you dont use those numbers for FIU lol I mean, nothing against FIU, but I think your numbers put you in a muuucccchhhhh better school lol.

Thanks! I was seriously expecting a bit more. I guess they just don't give a lot in scholly money... I only applied to FIU because I have ties to the Miami area. I haven't made a decision yet but unless that scholarship get bumped up a bit, I probably won't attend. And yes I will withdraw as soon as possible to open up a spot for someone.

Mdenis1

Postby Mdenis1 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:28 am

1693 wrote:
Mdenis1 wrote:

Wow- with those numbers all you got was 10/15k a year? That is ridiculous. At least you've had a great cycle - congrats. Your assessment of the FIU campus in general is spot on. Also, Miami is notoriously poor for public transportation. You definitely need a car here.

Why not stay in Canada? I'm assuming you went to McGill or Laval if you did study abroad in Florida lol

Actually I went to Univ. de Sherbrooke (French uni) it's located in a small city between MTL and QC city. And I did 2 semesters on exchange at FIU, which I really liked! (except for the public transportation part :shock: us Canadians are not used to poor public transportation in big cities! lol)

I want to live in the US later... so going to school there is more logical. Although I'm wondering if I'm not making a bad decision, given that the market right now is really bad in the US while it is still good in Canada (we don't have the oversupply of lawyer problem). I only applied to one law school in Canada, McGill. The degree allow me to work in some US states so I'm still considering it.

SoJerz13

Postby SoJerz13 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:25 am

Mdenis1 wrote:
1693 wrote:

I'm actually a NJ resident. My numbers aren't great (156 LSAT 3.47 GPA) I also have a 4.0 GPA in my MBA and have owned a few businesses so maybe they give weight to softs. They didn't break down the scholarship for me but they said part of it is merit scholarship and part is an out of state grant.

Good luck to everyone still waiting! I'll be visiting the campus in March.

penelope1

Postby penelope1 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:21 am

Okay, that makes more sense....the $62,000 is based on an out-of-state tuition total, which would be equivalent to about a $6,000/yr scholarship for in-state. I didn't think they game full rides+. Good luck!

Postby 1693 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:20 pm

Mdenis1 wrote:
1693 wrote:
Mdenis1 wrote:

Wow- with those numbers all you got was 10/15k a year? That is ridiculous. At least you've had a great cycle - congrats. Your assessment of the FIU campus in general is spot on. Also, Miami is notoriously poor for public transportation. You definitely need a car here.

Why not stay in Canada? I'm assuming you went to McGill or Laval if you did study abroad in Florida lol

Actually I went to Univ. de Sherbrooke (French uni) it's located in a small city between MTL and QC city. And I did 2 semesters on exchange at FIU, which I really liked! (except for the public transportation part :shock: us Canadians are not used to poor public transportation in big cities! lol)

I want to live in the US later... so going to school there is more logical. Although I'm wondering if I'm not making a bad decision, given that the market right now is really bad in the US while it is still good in Canada (we don't have the oversupply of lawyer problem). I only applied to one law school in Canada, McGill. The degree allow me to work in some US states so I'm still considering it.

Well, I am sure you'll make a great choice. I love Canada- personally think it would be wonderful to practice there. But you gotta do what makes you happy obviously! McGill is a great school, I wouldn't blame you for a second for going there.

Postby 1693 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:21 pm

SoJerz13 wrote:
Mdenis1 wrote:
1693 wrote:

I'm actually a NJ resident. My numbers aren't great (156 LSAT 3.47 GPA) I also have a 4.0 GPA in my MBA and have owned a few businesses so maybe they give weight to softs. They didn't break down the scholarship for me but they said part of it is merit scholarship and part is an out of state grant.

Good luck to everyone still waiting! I'll be visiting the campus in March.

Fantastic - congratulations! If you need recommendations on places to visit and what not down here don't hesitate to PM me.

Mister Gold

Postby Mister Gold » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:01 pm

In today via email. 158/3.6 military vet

I applied back in October but had my application "held", so there is hope for those who are in a similar situation. I wrote them an LOCI and had an additional evaluation sent from a professor.

Love Miami and the GI Bill would allow me to attend for almost free, so there's a good chance I'll be here in the Fall.

Best of luck to those still waiting on a decision.

gormco02

Postby gormco02 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:20 pm

Waiting on most of my law schools to get back to me but FIU was an interesting case for me, figured I would share. Got an application complete email on 12/7/12 and received an invite to admitted students day on 12/10/12. While it wasn't an official acceptance letter (that came shortly after), I feel this acceptance may have been the quickest turn around ever for a law school. Was really nice to not have to worry about this school for too long.

Username123

Postby Username123 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:31 pm

gormco02 wrote:Waiting on most of my law schools to get back to me but FIU was an interesting case for me, figured I would share. Got an application complete email on 12/7/12 and received an invite to admitted students day on 12/10/12. While it wasn't an official acceptance letter (that came shortly after), I feel this acceptance may have been the quickest turn around ever for a law school. Was really nice to not have to worry about this school for too long.

The same thing happened to me. At first, I didn't know whether to take that as an acceptance or not because I was waiting on the official acceptance letter in the mail. But I called the school and they told me I was in.

Then I started dancing to "Can't Touch This" by MC Hammer.

Mygramlsat

Postby Mygramlsat » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:01 pm

Mister Gold wrote:In today via email. 158/3.6 military vet

I applied back in October but had my application "held", so there is hope for those who are in a similar situation. I wrote them an LOCI and had an additional evaluation sent from a professor.

Love Miami and the GI Bill would allow me to attend for almost free, so there's a good chance I'll be here in the Fall.

Best of luck to those still waiting on a decision.

I got the same email,however, I was told not to send any materials. Did this happen to you?

SoJerz13

Postby SoJerz13 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:31 am

I got my full financial aid package the other day, which included a government need grant for an additional $5k per year. This puts my tuition at just over $7k per year as an out of state resident. This is going to be a tough decision.

Postby 1693 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:34 pm

SoJerz13 wrote:I got my full financial aid package the other day, which included a government need grant for an additional $5k per year. This puts my tuition at just over $7k per year as an out of state resident. This is going to be a tough decision.

You basically have to decide whether you want to live in South Florida or not. If you do, then FIU is a great choice. The school is definitely on the rise within the legal community down here... but that is just it, it's only down here and not really anywhere else in the state.

SoJerz13

Postby SoJerz13 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:55 pm

1693 wrote:
SoJerz13 wrote:I got my full financial aid package the other day, which included a government need grant for an additional $5k per year. This puts my tuition at just over $7k per year as an out of state resident. This is going to be a tough decision.

You basically have to decide whether you want to live in South Florida or not. If you do, then FIU is a great choice. The school is definitely on the rise within the legal community down here... but that is just it, it's only down here and not really anywhere else in the state.

That is what is making the decision hard. However I do like the LawBridge program they have there for graduates, which is something different than is offered at other schools I am debating on.

Postby 1693 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:27 pm

SoJerz13 wrote:
1693 wrote:

That is what is making the decision hard. However I do like the LawBridge program they have there for graduates, which is something different than is offered at other schools I am debating on.

I like the school quite a bit too and their programs. You have to consider the area too though. That is an awesome price tag for school, first off. But we know it will take a ton of legwork to go far outside of South Florida. I don't know how many attorneys there in Miami-Dade County, but there are over 9,000 alone in Broward County (Ft Lauderdale just north of Dade). Something to ponder. Of course, there are a ton of people living here but it is extremely competitive.

Innit

Postby Innit » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:56 pm

Congratulations! I'm more than a little envious. Jersey Shore here with similar numbers, URM status, and really strong softs. I've fallen in love with FIU but they've only offered me $33,000 to UM's $66,000 with a top half stip. Did you have to do any negotiating?

SoJerz13

Postby SoJerz13 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:33 pm

Innit wrote:

Congratulations! I'm more than a little envious. Jersey Shore here with similar numbers, URM status, and really strong softs. I've fallen in love with FIU but they've only offered me $33,000 to UM's $66,000 with a top half stip. Did you have to do any negotiating?

Well if it makes you feel any better, UM didn't offer me any money haha. I didn't have to negotiate though

Mister Gold

Postby Mister Gold » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:59 pm

Mygramlsat wrote:I got the same email,however, I was told not to send any materials. Did this happen to you?

The wording on my "hold" letter was this:

"The Committee is presently reviewing your application and has decided to hold your application for further review. You are not required to take any additional action at this time."

I called them and asked if there was anything I could submit that would help my case, and they said they would accept additional evals, LoR's, essays, or an LOCI. I wrote an LOCI and mailed it directly to Alma Miro, and I had a professor mail an evaluation directly to her as well.

Best of luck to you.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”