Florida International University (FIU) c/o 2016 applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Re: Florida International University (FIU) c/o 2016 applicants

Postby 1693 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:00 am

Just sent in my app a little late. Did some more research and FIU seems like a decent option as a resident Miami-Dade/Broward. Hoping to get a decision soon, and maybe some scholarship on top of the instate tuition!

Honey_Badger

Postby Honey_Badger » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:49 pm

Applied a little late, but have "decision mailed" so I'm a little antsy.
Congrats to everyone in so far!

Postby 1693 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:56 pm

Honey_Badger wrote:Applied a little late, but have "decision mailed" so I'm a little antsy.
Congrats to everyone in so far!

Check and see if you have the seat deposit on your status checker.

I applied this past Friday around midnight and got an email on Tuesday morning with the status checker. Set it up and saw they had a decision already :lol: ! Then I got an email about an admitted students chat this Thursday, so I assume I am in. Waiting for my packet before I drive down one afternoon to see the school, now.

slawww

Postby slawww » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:00 pm

When my status changed I had a $200 seat deposit. If you see that, you're in. Good luck!

ashleydy10

Postby ashleydy10 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:39 am

Checking in. I got in back in December. FIU undergrad. If anyone has questions about the school, area, or staff I'd be happy to answer.

Most likley not going to FIU unless they come up with a huge scholarship. Does anyone have info on scholarship offers? When to expect them?

Acronin689

Postby Acronin689 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:20 pm

Anyone know what this hold business is all about? A little annoying since I've been accepted at higher ranked schools.

I also am currently a FIU student for undergrad, so maybe they just don't want more of the same? Just perplexed I guess. LSAT is well above 75% but GPA is below 25%.

slawww

Postby slawww » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:30 am

Acronin689 wrote:Anyone know what this hold business is all about? A little annoying since I've been accepted at higher ranked schools.

I also am currently a FIU student for undergrad, so maybe they just don't want more of the same? Just perplexed I guess. LSAT is well above 75% but GPA is below 25%.

You should be in, I think. I got in with an LSAT also well above the 75th and a GPA below the 25th (with an upward trend). I think they might be holding you because they're trying to get their GPA medians where they want? For a new school, FIU's GPA median & 75th is pretty solid.

I feel your pain about being on hold. I'm on hold at FSU with an above median, around 75th LSAT. I think us "flawed" applicants may have to wait longer than most people, but should get in with the drop in applicants.

Postby 1693 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:47 am

slawww wrote:
Acronin689 wrote:Anyone know what this hold business is all about? A little annoying since I've been accepted at higher ranked schools.

You should be in, I think. I got in with an LSAT also well above the 75th and a GPA below the 25th (with an upward trend). I think they might be holding you because they're trying to get their GPA medians where they want? For a new school, FIU's GPA median & 75th is pretty solid.

I feel your pain about being on hold. I'm on hold at FSU with an above median, around 75th LSAT. I think us "flawed" applicants may have to wait longer than most people, but should get in with the drop in applicants.

Would you attend FSU over FIU? I would prefer to be in South Florida and am thinking FIU wouldn't be a bad choice if I decide to stay in-state. I know FSU is more prestigious but would much prefer to go to school in Miami than Tally.

slawww

Postby slawww » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:06 am

1693 wrote:Would you attend FSU over FIU? I would prefer to be in South Florida and am thinking FIU wouldn't be a bad choice if I decide to stay in-state. I know FSU is more prestigious but would much prefer to go to school in Miami than Tally.

I would, mostly because I would like to go away for law school. I never went away for undergrad, so I think it'd be a good experience. I think FIU is definitely a good option for an in-state applicant who definitely wants to work in Miami, especially if they would live at home and not have to pay for rent. The price of tuition is so reasonable. I also think FIU will continue to rise in the ranking quickly. I wouldn't be surprised if they broke into the top-100 this year coming up.

I guess you could say FIU is a maybe, but it's definitely a strong consideration for me, since I'd like to stay in Miami & do public interest law.

Acronin689

Postby Acronin689 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:32 am

I want to go out of state personally. I grew up down in Miami and left for FSU and now finishing my undergrad at FIU. FIU is a good school with an upward trend. Anecdotally, I have a few friends who attended law school here and all have jobs. All small firm and government jobs but still, jobs nonetheless. FIU places well in jobs like that but you need to do some serious leg work for any type of biglaw I would imagine. The school also has a commuter vibe so be aware of that going in. I was thinking of it as a safety so the hold kind of annoys me. Would be nice to have an in-state option should the need arise. Still waiting on FSU.

Postby 1693 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:27 pm

Yeah- I am also from Miami so I know the rep FIU has. I think it's a good option with the expensive alternatives like UM and Nova being the other law schools in the area, despite not having the "prestige" of UF & FSU especially, as well as UM (larger alumni base) and Stetson I guess. I have lived outside of FL before so I am not sure I want to leave again, but the COA of FIU is very attractive. One of these days I'm just going to drive down and take a tour. I'll report back what I thought of the facilities.

Mdenis1

Postby Mdenis1 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:37 am

I'd be surprised if that would be the case! I know a lot of current students at FIU law and they were all at FIU for undergrad.

Mdenis1

Postby Mdenis1 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:40 am

1693 wrote:Yeah- I am also from Miami so I know the rep FIU has. I think it's a good option with the expensive alternatives like UM and Nova being the other law schools in the area, despite not having the "prestige" of UF & FSU especially, as well as UM (larger alumni base) and Stetson I guess. I have lived outside of FL before so I am not sure I want to leave again, but the COA of FIU is very attractive. One of these days I'm just going to drive down and take a tour. I'll report back what I thought of the facilities.

I agree with you. I think compared to FSU and UF, FSU & UF are better prospects for job opportunities & prestige. But if you're a Florida resident and want to study in Miami, when you compare the cost of attending FIU and UM, FIU is so much cheaper, and I think you basically have the same job prospects. I also read somewhere, I don't have the link with me because I am on my phone (but I'm sure one could easily find it on google) that FIU law grads had better results than UM law grads for bar passing rates (State of Florida). So if someone would have to compare both options at sticker, I think FIU would be the best one.

Mdenis1

Postby Mdenis1 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:42 am

Mdenis1 wrote:
1693 wrote:Yeah- I am also from Miami so I know the rep FIU has. I think it's a good option with the expensive alternatives like UM and Nova being the other law schools in the area, despite not having the "prestige" of UF & FSU especially, as well as UM (larger alumni base) and Stetson I guess. I have lived outside of FL before so I am not sure I want to leave again, but the COA of FIU is very attractive. One of these days I'm just going to drive down and take a tour. I'll report back what I thought of the facilities.

I agree with you. I think compared to FSU and UF, FSU & UF are better prospects for job opportunities & prestige. But if you're a Florida resident and want to study in Miami, when you compare the cost of attending FIU and UM, FIU is so much cheaper, and I think you basically have the same job prospects. I also read somewhere, I don't have the link with me because I am on my phone (but I'm sure one could easily find it on google) that FIU law grads had better results than UM law grads for bar passing rates (State of Florida). So if someone would have to compare both options at sticker, I think FIU would be the best one.

Oh and also - facilities are very new! I did studying abroad at FIU and visited the law building just to get an idea. Sparkling new. The FIU campus is in general very nice and modern. I haven't been in the law library, but their general library is huge, nice, with a lot of windows and with a Starbucks! The only think I didn't like about the area is the fact that public transportation is crap in Miami and you need a car.

Mdenis1

Postby Mdenis1 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:45 am

ashleydy10 wrote:Checking in. I got in back in December. FIU undergrad. If anyone has questions about the school, area, or staff I'd be happy to answer.

Most likley not going to FIU unless they come up with a huge scholarship. Does anyone have info on scholarship offers? When to expect them?

I got one via postal mail about 2 weeks after my acceptance. 10k a year (with a stip). My #s are in profile. I got another letter just before Christmas, telling me I could get another 5k (so 15k per year, I'm out of state so I would still have to pay 18k per year) and that I just had to request it. I wrote them an email about it 2 weeks ago and no answer... I'll write back in a few days I guess.

ashleydy10

Postby ashleydy10 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:47 am

Mdenis1 wrote:
ashleydy10 wrote:Checking in. I got in back in December. FIU undergrad. If anyone has questions about the school, area, or staff I'd be happy to answer.

I got one via postal mail about 2 weeks after my acceptance. 10k a year (with a stip). My #s are in profile. I got another letter just before Christmas, telling me I could get another 5k (so 15k per year, I'm out of state so I would still have to pay 18k per year) and that I just had to request it. I wrote them an email about it 2 weeks ago and no answer... I'll write back in a few days I guess.

weird. I have not received anything from them. LSAT is way above, GPA right at median. I was counting FIU as a sure thing for a serious scholarship. I received great offers from well ranked schools. Not too concerned though.. doesnt look like im going there as of now. Is FIU a good option for you?

ashleydy10

Postby ashleydy10 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:49 am

Mdenis1 wrote:

Just kidding! I just looked at your numbers. Congrats on such an outstanding accomplishment! I sincerely hope you dont use those numbers for FIU lol I mean, nothing against FIU, but I think your numbers put you in a muuucccchhhhh better school lol.

slawww

Postby slawww » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:19 pm

Mdenis1 wrote:

Awesome #'s. After looking at your profile, I'm assuming you won't be attending FIU. You should withdraw you application and open up a spot for someone else. I don't say this selfishly, as I've already been accepted here, but I'm sure there's a lot of people who would very happily take your seat.

scottyc66

Postby scottyc66 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:33 pm

slawww wrote:
Mdenis1 wrote:

Awesome #'s. After looking at your profile, I'm assuming you won't be attending FIU. You should withdraw you application and open up a spot for someone else. I don't say this selfishly, as I've already been accepted here, but I'm sure there's a lot of people who would very happily take your seat.

For real, what a slack ass scholly offer from FIU. If you can't get a full scholly (or even half) what chance do others have

Postby 1693 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:21 pm

Mdenis1 wrote:

Wow- with those numbers all you got was 10/15k a year? That is ridiculous. At least you've had a great cycle - congrats. Your assessment of the FIU campus in general is spot on. Also, Miami is notoriously poor for public transportation. You definitely need a car here.

Why not stay in Canada? I'm assuming you went to McGill or Laval if you did study abroad in Florida lol

floridamba

Postby floridamba » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:23 am

Anyone with a status update on 01/25/2012? do you have a reservation seat fee or not?

sn1000

Postby sn1000 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:46 pm

floridamba wrote:Anyone with a status update on 01/25/2012? do you have a reservation seat fee or not?

I have an update from that date and an unlabeled $200 fee, which I'm going to assume is the seat fee?

Also, hiiii everyone! Longtime lurker, first time poster.

floridamba

Postby floridamba » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:42 pm

Do you mind telling me your LSAT score and GPA? Thanks!

sn1000

Postby sn1000 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:58 pm

Sure! 2.85/157 OOS, slacked off a little bit in undergrad...

floridamba

Postby floridamba » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:10 pm

Thank you very much. Congratulations on your acceptance! anyone else with a status update of 01/25/2013?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”