Stetson Class of 2016

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
scottyc66
Posts: 719
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:19 pm

Re: Stetson Class of 2016

Postby scottyc66 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:57 pm

shawty18ga wrote:
Mister Gold wrote:In last week via email. 8k/yr, requires good academic standing. Air force vet attending on GI bill, essentially turns it into a full ride. Above 75th LSAT and near median GPA. I visited the school, but only had a few hours so I didn't get to see as much of the surrounding area as I would have liked. Anyone have any info on what life is like in st. Pete? I imagine a lot of elderly and retiree snowbirds from the north... I'm not from the area so I'm only speculating.


St. Pete actually has a good downtown with lots of solid bars and a few night clubs. There are plenty of old people and snow birds around, but St. Pete has been getting younger.

I'm 30 minutes from St. Pete and I'm there a couple weekends a month and I can vouch. Pretty fun and relatively cheap downtown area. Gulfport, where Stetson is actually located, is kind of a strange little beach bum town.

Mister Gold
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:54 pm

Re: Stetson Class of 2016

Postby Mister Gold » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:28 pm

Thanks for the info, i think I'll give Stetson a harder look than I had planned.

chomp
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:01 pm

Re: Stetson Class of 2016

Postby chomp » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:51 pm

I got my acceptance email last night and a full tuition scholarship!!!

I still haven't heard back from UF, but I doubt I'd get any $$ there. I'm from St. Pete and love the area anyway. See you at Stetson in the fall for sure!

User avatar
scottyc66
Posts: 719
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:19 pm

Re: Stetson Class of 2016

Postby scottyc66 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:10 pm

chomp wrote:I got my acceptance email last night and a full tuition scholarship!!!

I still haven't heard back from UF, but I doubt I'd get any $$ there. I'm from St. Pete and love the area anyway. See you at Stetson in the fall for sure!

Numbers? If you don't mind...

chomp
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:01 pm

Re: Stetson Class of 2016

Postby chomp » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:11 pm

162/3.5
With 3 stellar letters of rec from profs and my internship, which I feel like probably helped me here.
I was pretty surprised at the offer, but really, really excited haha!

Good luck to everyone else applying :)

User avatar
scottyc66
Posts: 719
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:19 pm

Re: Stetson Class of 2016

Postby scottyc66 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:20 am

chomp wrote:162/3.5
With 3 stellar letters of rec from profs and my internship, which I feel like probably helped me here.
I was pretty surprised at the offer, but really, really excited haha!

Good luck to everyone else applying :)

LORs really have more to do with borderline people getting in or not getting in that getting a full scholarship, congrats either way though.

Username123
Posts: 742
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 2:26 am

Re: Stetson Class of 2016

Postby Username123 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:12 pm

Accepted today via email with 12K/year contingent upon maintaining a 2.25 GPA. :D

Anybody have any insight on negotiating scholarships with Stetson?

User avatar
scottyc66
Posts: 719
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:19 pm

Re: Stetson Class of 2016

Postby scottyc66 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:30 am

Uschoolqb10 wrote:Accepted today via email with 12K/year contingent upon maintaining a 2.25 GPA. :D

Anybody have any insight on negotiating scholarships with Stetson?

Awesome stips, what are your numbers and other scholarship offers/acceptances?

Username123
Posts: 742
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 2:26 am

Re: Stetson Class of 2016

Postby Username123 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:47 pm

scottyc66 wrote:
Uschoolqb10 wrote:Accepted today via email with 12K/year contingent upon maintaining a 2.25 GPA. :D

Anybody have any insight on negotiating scholarships with Stetson?

Awesome stips, what are your numbers and other scholarship offers/acceptances?


156, 3.1. I have been offered by St. Thomas almost full ride, Nova 18K/year, FIU 5K/year (in state tuition), and waiting to hear back from DePaul about scholarship information. I highly doubt I will receive any $ from Miami.

Do you think I could negotiate some more $ out of Stetson? I wouldn't be able to justify attending without at least 5K more per year. My personal statement, resume, and Rec letters were all very good, in my opinion - I think these played a factor in the $ offered from Stetson.

TLSplitter2012
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:07 am

Re: Stetson Class of 2016

Postby TLSplitter2012 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:53 pm

This forum is inactive compared to last year!

I got accepted yesterday with GPA above 75% and LSAT @ 75%... 50% scholarship. Would highly consider attending if I can get 75% or 100% scholarship.

Anyone have any luck getting it to a higher amount?

User avatar
scottyc66
Posts: 719
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:19 pm

Re: Stetson Class of 2016

Postby scottyc66 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:24 pm

Uschoolqb10 wrote:
scottyc66 wrote:
Uschoolqb10 wrote:Accepted today via email with 12K/year contingent upon maintaining a 2.25 GPA. :D

Anybody have any insight on negotiating scholarships with Stetson?

Awesome stips, what are your numbers and other scholarship offers/acceptances?


156, 3.1. I have been offered by St. Thomas almost full ride, Nova 18K/year, FIU 5K/year (in state tuition), and waiting to hear back from DePaul about scholarship information. I highly doubt I will receive any $ from Miami.

Do you think I could negotiate some more $ out of Stetson? I wouldn't be able to justify attending without at least 5K more per year. My personal statement, resume, and Rec letters were all very good, in my opinion - I think these played a factor in the $ offered from Stetson.

You a URM?

Username123
Posts: 742
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 2:26 am

Re: Stetson Class of 2016

Postby Username123 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:17 pm

scottyc66 wrote:
Uschoolqb10 wrote:
scottyc66 wrote:
Uschoolqb10 wrote:Accepted today via email with 12K/year contingent upon maintaining a 2.25 GPA. :D

Anybody have any insight on negotiating scholarships with Stetson?

Awesome stips, what are your numbers and other scholarship offers/acceptances?


156, 3.1. I have been offered by St. Thomas almost full ride, Nova 18K/year, FIU 5K/year (in state tuition), and waiting to hear back from DePaul about scholarship information. I highly doubt I will receive any $ from Miami.

Do you think I could negotiate some more $ out of Stetson? I wouldn't be able to justify attending without at least 5K more per year. My personal statement, resume, and Rec letters were all very good, in my opinion - I think these played a factor in the $ offered from Stetson.

You a URM?


I'm Cuban so I don't think so. Although I do recall that on Stetson's application, it just asked if I was Hispanic or not. It never asked for specification, so idk if that would mean that all Hispanics are considered an URM for Stetson? I don't know.

penelope1
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:06 am

Re: Stetson Class of 2016

Postby penelope1 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:09 am

Got accepted last week with $30,000/year schol, 50% stip. Very excited! Is anyone going to Scholars Retreat next month?

User avatar
scottyc66
Posts: 719
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:19 pm

Re: Stetson Class of 2016

Postby scottyc66 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:49 pm

penelope1 wrote:Got accepted last week with $30,000/year schol, 50% stip. Very excited! Is anyone going to Scholars Retreat next month?

Numbers?

penelope1
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:06 am

Re: Stetson Class of 2016

Postby penelope1 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:02 pm

3.05 169 Total splitter

User avatar
scottyc66
Posts: 719
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:19 pm

Re: Stetson Class of 2016

Postby scottyc66 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:13 pm

penelope1 wrote:3.05 169 Total splitter

Good to hear a fellow splitter is getting full ride

edit: close to a full ride

User avatar
meowllory
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:28 pm

Re: Stetson Class of 2016

Postby meowllory » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:17 pm

I received a full scholarship with a 162/3.39
Last edited by meowllory on Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
scottyc66
Posts: 719
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:19 pm

Re: Stetson Class of 2016

Postby scottyc66 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:00 pm

meowllory wrote:I received a full scholarship with a 162/3.39 but still don't think I can justify going to a lower ranked school that seems to have poor job placement :/

How much better does it get with those numbers? FSU with in-state is essentially the only other option if you're dead-set on going.

penelope1
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:06 am

Re: Stetson Class of 2016

Postby penelope1 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:00 pm

scottyc66 wrote:
penelope1 wrote:3.05 169 Total splitter

Good to hear a fellow splitter is getting full ride

edit: close to a full ride




Your numbers?

User avatar
scottyc66
Posts: 719
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:19 pm

Re: Stetson Class of 2016

Postby scottyc66 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:01 pm

penelope1 wrote:Your numbers?

166/3.37

penelope1
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:06 am

Re: Stetson Class of 2016

Postby penelope1 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:02 pm

scottyc66 wrote:
meowllory wrote:I received a full scholarship with a 162/3.39 but still don't think I can justify going to a lower ranked school that seems to have poor job placement :/

How much better does it get with those numbers? FSU with in-state is essentially the only other option if you're dead-set on going.



Yes, agree.....you're not getting into a T14....or anywhere near that. Those numbers won't give u much, if any $$ at UF

User avatar
meowllory
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:28 pm

Re: Stetson Class of 2016

Postby meowllory » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:06 pm

scottyc66 wrote:
meowllory wrote:I received a full scholarship with a 162/3.39 but still don't think I can justify going to a lower ranked school that seems to have poor job placement :/

How much better does it get with those numbers? FSU with in-state is essentially the only other option if you're dead-set on going.


Dead-set on going? What do you mean by that?

and not looking to get into a t14 school.. just one that has more than 50% job placement even if that requires paying in-state tuition

User avatar
scottyc66
Posts: 719
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:19 pm

Re: Stetson Class of 2016

Postby scottyc66 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:06 pm

penelope1 wrote:Yes, agree.....you're not getting into a T14....or anywhere near that. Those numbers won't give u much, if any $$ at UF

I won't even consider Stetson unless it's a full ride and probably won't do FSU unless I get some help there. Honestly, I'd rather not sit out a cycle, but if it doesn't make sense I probably will and just study up for June and hope for 170+ for a shot at T14.

User avatar
meowllory
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:28 pm

Re: Stetson Class of 2016

Postby meowllory » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:08 pm

Not looking for advice.. just putting my numbers out there to show what they're throwing scholarship money at
Last edited by meowllory on Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
scottyc66
Posts: 719
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:19 pm

Re: Stetson Class of 2016

Postby scottyc66 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:10 pm

meowllory wrote:Dead-set on going? What do you mean by that?

and not looking to get into a t14 school.. just one that has more than 50% job placement even if that requires paying in-state tuition

Dead-set on going to law school and not pursuing other options or retaking the LSAT.
If you know you want to practice in the Tampa area (not sure) and have some sort of connection to the area (I do) Stetson isn't a bad option. Tons of alumni in the area.
I was just saying Stetson at full-ride and FSU in-state would be your only real, viable options. Your #s probably won't get you into UF and pretty much everything else would be a worse idea.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”