Stetson Class of 2016

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
usfvictor

Stetson Class of 2016

Postby usfvictor » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:19 pm

Didn't see a thread started on this so figure I'd start one up.

Got my acceptance email last week. Waiting on the acceptance packet to see if I got any $$$.

usfvictor

Re: Stetson Class of 2016

Postby usfvictor » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:23 pm

Got my email informing me of scholarship info today.

patienunderstanding

Postby patienunderstanding » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:29 pm

usfvictor wrote:Got my email informing me of scholarship info today.

How much did You get?

usfvictor

Postby usfvictor » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:52 am

1/3 scholly

patienunderstanding

Postby patienunderstanding » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:25 am

usfvictor wrote:1/3 scholly

Congrats. And your numbers? Dont have to be exact if you dont want to tell.

BlueJeanBaby

Postby BlueJeanBaby » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:31 pm

I'm not applying to Stetson because I no longer live or want to work in Florida, but I LOVE the school. I did actually apply there in 2010 but decided to postpone law school. I've also worked with a bunch of Stetson grads (at NLJ250 firms ;) ) Good luck to you all!!

Ex Cearulo

Postby Ex Cearulo » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:34 pm

Checking in. I guess this is my "safe" in-state school, if you want to call it that. Even then, if they float enough scholarship money my way, I may pick Stetson over UF or FSU if I stay in-state. I particularly like their nationally ranked trial advocacy program, because if I'm accepted into the Air Force's JAG program I'll be doing a lot of that right out of the gate.

Best of luck to everyone out there!

-HD

usfvictor

Postby usfvictor » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:03 am

Id say pick UF of FSU, they give you better chances at employment regardless, since although you want to do JAG that may change down the line. The reason im more than likely choosing stetson is for there part time program.

Ex Cearulo

Postby Ex Cearulo » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:17 am

usfvictor wrote:Id say pick UF of FSU, they give you better chances at employment regardless, since although you want to do JAG that may change down the line. The reason im more than likely choosing stetson is for there part time program.

I hear ya. And I'm a UF alum and I'd love to go back to Gainesville if I stay in-state. My situation is very unique, though. The Air Force program I'm applying to keeps me on active duty for considerations like medical benefits and time towards rank and retirement, but it doesn't pay any tuition and it stops paying my salary while I'm in law school. So I'll have a wife, two kids, and no income while in school (good deal, huh?). Good thing she works. And since I have guaranteed employment with the AF after law school, I'm not obsessed with employment prospects like I would be otherwise. I am, however, concerned with debt.

This is why I say if Stetson gives me enough money to make it cheaper than going to UF, FSU (or Miami, too), I'll strongly consider going there. Their trial advocacy program helps with the decision because as a new JAG I'll find myself in a courtroom within a few weeks of arriving at my first assignment. That said, hopefully I rock the Dec LSAT and have the option of going to a school that warrants me leaving the state :D Though even if I do I can see myself staying in-state for the debt consideration and to stay closer to our families.

But I understand your point. Any "normal" prospective student would likely be benefitted by going to UF or FSU in terms of overall job prospects in the state. Still, though, I find Stetson to be somewhat underrated in Florida. Two nationally ranked programs and private school tuition that, while still expensive, hasn't crossed over into the ludicrous realm of $40-45k/yr. Yet.

BlueJeanBaby

Postby BlueJeanBaby » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:23 am

HawgDriver wrote:
usfvictor wrote:Id say pick UF of FSU, they give you better chances at employment regardless, since although you want to do JAG that may change down the line. The reason im more than likely choosing stetson is for there part time program.

I hear ya. And I'm a UF alum and I'd love to go back to Gainesville if I stay in-state. My situation is very unique, though. The Air Force program I'm applying to keeps me on active duty for considerations like medical benefits and time towards rank and retirement, but it doesn't pay any tuition and it stops paying my salary while I'm in law school. So I'll have a wife, two kids, and no income while in school (good deal, huh?). Good thing she works. And since I have guaranteed employment with the AF after law school, I'm not obsessed with employment prospects like I would be otherwise. I am, however, concerned with debt.

This is why I say if Stetson gives me enough money to make it cheaper than going to UF, FSU (or Miami, too), I'll strongly consider going there. Their trial advocacy program helps with the decision because as a new JAG I'll find myself in a courtroom within a few weeks of arriving at my first assignment. That said, hopefully I rock the Dec LSAT and have the option of going to a school that warrants me leaving the state :D Though even if I do I can see myself staying in-state for the debt consideration and to stay closer to our families.

But I understand your point. Any "normal" prospective student would likely be benefitted by going to UF or FSU in terms of overall job prospects in the state. Still, though, I find Stetson to be somewhat underrated in Florida. Two nationally ranked programs and private school tuition that, while still expensive, hasn't crossed over into the ludicrous realm of $40-45k/yr. Yet.

Stetson usually hands out a few full rides or close to it each year. I think this depends on numbers AND your case for wanting to attend Stetson, which you seem to have a good grasp on :).

usfvictor

Postby usfvictor » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:21 am

patienunderstanding wrote:
usfvictor wrote:1/3 scholly

Congrats. And your numbers? Dont have to be exact if you dont want to tell.

splitter at 25% for GPA at 75% for LSAT

usfvictor

Postby usfvictor » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:25 am

HawgDriver wrote:

Good Luck! Glad you've researched it, Stetson with a full ride or close to a full ride is worth it over UF or FSU with no $$, even thou a bunch of TLSers will disagree with me :D .

seancris

Postby seancris » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:55 pm

Admitted with scholly by email. Full-tuition plus 4k/yr stipend. Top 50% stip. Numbers well above both 75ths.

Ex Cearulo

Postby Ex Cearulo » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:13 pm

seancris wrote:Admitted with scholly by email. Full-tuition plus 4k/yr stipend. Top 50% stip. Numbers well above both 75ths.

Congrats! Think that much money could sway you there over other schools with little/no scholly offers?

Jacaranda21

Postby Jacaranda21 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:31 pm

seancris wrote:Admitted with scholly by email. Full-tuition plus 4k/yr stipend. Top 50% stip. Numbers well above both 75ths.

Same here (: Got the letter on Friday

seancris

Postby seancris » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:12 pm

HawgDriver wrote:

Congrats! Think that much money could sway you there over other schools with little/no scholly offers?

Thanks!

I won't be attending any school without a significant scholarship. With 45%+ underemployment for recent grads at even T1 schools, I don't see the prospect of taking on 6-figure debt as a good investment.

As a result, I've chosen practically every school that I've applied to on the basis of which school is likely to send some significant financial aid my way.

This offer makes Stetson much more attractive, but that stipulation bothers me. It gives the school a financial incentive to give me poor grades. Will do what I can to change the stip to "good standing" which other Stetson scholarship recipients get.

shawty18ga

Postby shawty18ga » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:38 pm

To be fair, Stetson does not section stack. I don't know of anybody personally who had a hard time staying in the top 50% to keep the scholly. My understanding was that the diversity kids were mainly the ones with the "good academic standing" requirement.

usfvictor

Postby usfvictor » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:00 pm

shawty18ga wrote:To be fair, Stetson does not section stack. I don't know of anybody personally who had a hard time staying in the top 50% to keep the scholly. My understanding was that the diversity kids were mainly the ones with the "good academic standing" requirement.

That's prbly true. I got a diversity scholly. hey shawty18ga are you a stetson student? if so, hows the overall feel of the campus in regards to landing jobs?

shawty18ga

Postby shawty18ga » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:15 pm

usfvictor wrote:
shawty18ga wrote:To be fair, Stetson does not section stack. I don't know of anybody personally who had a hard time staying in the top 50% to keep the scholly. My understanding was that the diversity kids were mainly the ones with the "good academic standing" requirement.

That's prbly true. I got a diversity scholly. hey shawty18ga are you a stetson student? if so, hows the overall feel of the campus in regards to landing jobs?

I'm a 3L. People don't talk about jobs a whole lot except with their closest friends. I'm pretty happy with my prospects right now. Very very few Stetson grads will work in big firms. If you wanna check out the ABA numbers, Stetson does fine compared to other schools in Florida, but the bar is pretty low. http://employmentsummary.abaquestionnaire.org/

chomp

Postby chomp » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:18 pm

status checker says "decision made, sent by email"

...so ive been constantly refreshing my email for an hour. obviously ill find out soon, but does anyone know if the decision comes the same day as the status change and if scholarship info is included with the decision or sent out later?

seancris

Postby seancris » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:33 pm

chomp wrote:status checker says "decision made, sent by email"

...so ive been constantly refreshing my email for an hour. obviously ill find out soon, but does anyone know if the decision comes the same day as the status change and if scholarship info is included with the decision or sent out later?

Doesn't come same day. 2-3 business days later, for some reason. Also my scholarship was included in the email, but I got the presidential award. Might not be the same for every scholarship.

Mister Gold

Postby Mister Gold » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:02 pm

In last week via email. 8k/yr, requires good academic standing. Air force vet attending on GI bill, essentially turns it into a full ride. Above 75th LSAT and near median GPA. I visited the school, but only had a few hours so I didn't get to see as much of the surrounding area as I would have liked. Anyone have any info on what life is like in st. Pete? I imagine a lot of elderly and retiree snowbirds from the north... I'm not from the area so I'm only speculating.

scottyc66

Postby scottyc66 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:08 pm

Mister Gold wrote:In last week via email. 8k/yr, requires good academic standing. Air force vet attending on GI bill, essentially turns it into a full ride. Above 75th LSAT and near median GPA. I visited the school, but only had a few hours so I didn't get to see as much of the surrounding area as I would have liked. Anyone have any info on what life is like in st. Pete? I imagine a lot of elderly and retiree snowbirds from the north... I'm not from the area so I'm only speculating.

Surprisingly low scholly offer

Mister Gold

Postby Mister Gold » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:28 pm

Yeah maybe you're right, but they know I'm on the GI bill, so they want the government to pay as much as possible.

shawty18ga

Postby shawty18ga » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:35 pm

Mister Gold wrote:In last week via email. 8k/yr, requires good academic standing. Air force vet attending on GI bill, essentially turns it into a full ride. Above 75th LSAT and near median GPA. I visited the school, but only had a few hours so I didn't get to see as much of the surrounding area as I would have liked. Anyone have any info on what life is like in st. Pete? I imagine a lot of elderly and retiree snowbirds from the north... I'm not from the area so I'm only speculating.

St. Pete actually has a good downtown with lots of solid bars and a few night clubs. There are plenty of old people and snow birds around, but St. Pete has been getting younger.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”