Rutgers Newark c/o 2016 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Easy-E

Platinum

Re: Rutgers Newark c/o 2016

Post by Easy-E » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:35 pm

Kurohoshi wrote:
dirtrida2 wrote:Stipulations are a 3.0 GPA, anyone know what the median is?

How hard will it be to maintain the scholarship?

*edit*

After doing some research it seems that if I wasn't able to keep AT LEAST a 3.0, I should probably drop out of law school w/ or w/o a scholarship; lol.
Median is 3.0, so the stipulation isn't the worst. For those that already have a specific employment plan, I'd say law school can still hold value. There are some non-traditional routes for students such as law enforcement in which simply having a law degree allow for upward mobility.
Just wanna say, don't go to law school without the intention to be a lawyer. The whole "a law degree is versatile" bit is dead. You can work in law enforcement without any law debt. I see what you're saying, but if you don't maintain a 3.0, you should bail. Unless you have a job 100% lined up and you just need a degree.

wfudeacons2005

Bronze

Post by wfudeacons2005 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:25 pm

emarxnj wrote:
wfudeacons2005 wrote:1LE here...would be happy to answer any questions if you guys have them.
Suggestions of safe places to live, both in and out of Newark? I've got friends in Hoboken, but that's just too much to pay, and socially I'd go out in the city over Hoboken anyway.
I actually live in Hoboken with two roommates and only pay $800 per month - about as reasonable as rent gets around here. Plus, it is by far the safest option, easiest access to NYC, best bars/food, and both the PATH/NJT run to Newark from there. Look on craigslist for places 9th-13th Street two or three blocks off of Washington...you'll be surprised how reasonable it can be.

If not Hoboken though, I've heard of a decent number of Harrison people. Most seem to like it. Rent is reasonable, it doesn't have quite as many problems as Newark and commuting is easy.

As to Newark, some live in the dorms which sound like well...dorms. I have a buddy of mine lives in the recently refinished Eleven80 building on Raymond Boulevard and says that it's a great building. Finally, the ironbound has long been the most safe, vibrant part of Newark and it remains that way. The problem is that none of these options are that cost efficient and this city is downright rough right now. The number of crime alerts that I have received this year is staggering and this is coming from someone who went to UG in a pretty rough town too. Of course, for the most part it's fine during the day but I really like having my home elsewhere. Just my two cents.

Sweetlady75

New

Post by Sweetlady75 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:15 pm

Woohooo..
In today p/t via email.

My first acceptance for the cycle. I pray that there are more to come

Sweetlady75

New

Post by Sweetlady75 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:16 pm

wfudeacons2005 wrote:
emarxnj wrote:
wfudeacons2005 wrote:1LE here...would be happy to answer any questions if you guys have them.
Suggestions of safe places to live, both in and out of Newark? I've got friends in Hoboken, but that's just too much to pay, and socially I'd go out in the city over Hoboken anyway.
I actually live in Hoboken with two roommates and only pay $800 per month - about as reasonable as rent gets around here. Plus, it is by far the safest option, easiest access to NYC, best bars/food, and both the PATH/NJT run to Newark from there. Look on craigslist for places 9th-13th Street two or three blocks off of Washington...you'll be surprised how reasonable it can be.

If not Hoboken though, I've heard of a decent number of Harrison people. Most seem to like it. Rent is reasonable, it doesn't have quite as many problems as Newark and commuting is easy.

As to Newark, some live in the dorms which sound like well...dorms. I have a buddy of mine lives in the recently refinished Eleven80 building on Raymond Boulevard and says that it's a great building. Finally, the ironbound has long been the most safe, vibrant part of Newark and it remains that way. The problem is that none of these options are that cost efficient and this city is downright rough right now. The number of crime alerts that I have received this year is staggering and this is coming from someone who went to UG in a pretty rough town too. Of course, for the most part it's fine during the day but I really like having my home elsewhere. Just my two cents.

How long is the drive from Hoboken to campus?

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:42 pm

Sweetlady75 wrote:
wfudeacons2005 wrote:
emarxnj wrote:

How long is the drive from Hoboken to campus?
Google Maps that shit.

Is your place an actual 3BR? Where did you find it listed? Also, if you take the path don't you still need to switch trains at exchange place, then go to Newark? Seems like a bit of a pain every day to do bus to the path, change trains, back to newark-penn, bus to school? Or is it painless? I'm not much of a commuter.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Kurohoshi

New

Post by Kurohoshi » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:58 pm

emarxnj wrote: Just wanna say, don't go to law school without the intention to be a lawyer. The whole "a law degree is versatile" bit is dead. You can work in law enforcement without any law debt. I see what you're saying, but if you don't maintain a 3.0, you should bail. Unless you have a job 100% lined up and you just need a degree.

You're right. If you go to law school, you should want to be a lawyer. However, to say that one should bail without a 3.0 is a little much as the median is 3.0. That is saying that almost half of all students should give up. I wasn't saying that a law degree is a great substitute for a criminal justice degree or an MBA, but I just think every law student should have a back-up plan in the current economy. And given how hard it is to get back into a field once you're out, make damn sure you are going into a career that you can succeed and rise in. I only used law enforcement because that's another field that I have an interest in and could see myself re-visiting if all else truly failed.

Sweetlady75

New

Post by Sweetlady75 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:03 pm

Google Maps does not tell you about the daily traffic issues. So thanks, but NO thanks for your brash response....

Kurohoshi

New

Post by Kurohoshi » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:08 pm

wfudeacons2005 wrote: I actually live in Hoboken with two roommates and only pay $800 per month - about as reasonable as rent gets around here. Plus, it is by far the safest option, easiest access to NYC, best bars/food, and both the PATH/NJT run to Newark from there. Look on craigslist for places 9th-13th Street two or three blocks off of Washington...you'll be surprised how reasonable it can be.

Call me crazy but I actually plan to live in Newark and get an off-campus apartment. To give some background, I have lived most of my life between one of the worst parts of Queens and a rough area of Philadelphia. I know that this doesn't make me any safer but I'm already used to a certain type of lifestyle and would prefer to live alone in a cheaper area.

Are there any parts of the city that students tend to find quality housing?

Kurohoshi

New

Post by Kurohoshi » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:22 pm

Sweetlady75 wrote:Google Maps does not tell you about the daily traffic issues. So thanks, but NO thanks for your brash response....
More like Spicylady75..... (I'm sorry I had to)

The response of a student travelling from there would definitely be more helpful but I would say to check out GMaps and traffic.com at the exact time you would plan to head to class also. They now update travel info based on current traffic if you search at that particular time. You can plug in the exact address of the place you're looking at and get a slightly better route on GMaps. Traffic.com will help you discern whether the traffic times are caused by ongoing construction, accidents, or just regular commuter back-up.

Seriously, not trying to be a dick or anything. I'm going to be doing this as well.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dirtrida2

Bronze

Post by dirtrida2 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:43 pm

So... 12k a year at rutgers or a full-ride at a few different peer schools with top 40% stips - who section stack.

I assume I would have a better chance at keeping my scholarship at Rutgers than one of the peer schools?

If something happens and I do lose my scholarship, 22k at Rutgers vs 40k+ might be a little easier to swallow - Though, if I do fine, no debt (except COL) would be even nicer. Do I take the gamble?

(I wouldn't drop out because I do have some connections in the legal field and could find myself a job regardless, though it won't be my ideal job).

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:08 pm

Kurohoshi wrote:
emarxnj wrote: Just wanna say, don't go to law school without the intention to be a lawyer. The whole "a law degree is versatile" bit is dead. You can work in law enforcement without any law debt. I see what you're saying, but if you don't maintain a 3.0, you should bail. Unless you have a job 100% lined up and you just need a degree.

You're right. If you go to law school, you should want to be a lawyer. However, to say that one should bail without a 3.0 is a little much as the median is 3.0. That is saying that almost half of all students should give up. I wasn't saying that a law degree is a great substitute for a criminal justice degree or an MBA, but I just think every law student should have a back-up plan in the current economy. And given how hard it is to get back into a field once you're out, make damn sure you are going into a career that you can succeed and rise in. I only used law enforcement because that's another field that I have an interest in and could see myself re-visiting if all else truly failed.
If you're below median, you're in trouble. Half of the class isn't going to drop out, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't, especially since they will lose a chunk of their scholarship if not all. Sorry to be negative, but go browse the forum a bit, check out Law School Transparency. It's not pretty. I know what you meant with the law enforcment example, and I'm with you. Nothing wrong with a back-up plan, I just wanted to make sure no one took it as the "law degree = versatile" shpeel that boomers puke out.

quonsoe00

New

Post by quonsoe00 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:49 pm

dirtrida2 wrote:Just accepted today, 12k scholarship.

Anyone have any luck negotiating scholarships with Rutgers?
I did have luck negotiating. I went from 0 scholarship to 8k per year. But that is probably due to the fact that I should have received one to begin with.

Sweetlady75

New

Post by Sweetlady75 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:52 pm

Kurohoshi wrote:
Sweetlady75 wrote:Google Maps does not tell you about the daily traffic issues. So thanks, but NO thanks for your brash response....
More like Spicylady75..... (I'm sorry I had to)

The response of a student travelling from there would definitely be more helpful but I would say to check out GMaps and traffic.com at the exact time you would plan to head to class also. They now update travel info based on current traffic if you search at that particular time. You can plug in the exact address of the place you're looking at and get a slightly better route on GMaps. Traffic.com will help you discern whether the traffic times are caused by ongoing construction, accidents, or just regular commuter back-up.

Seriously, not trying to be a dick or anything. I'm going to be doing this as well.

I kind of like spicylady..LOL

Thanks for the tip.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

wfudeacons2005

Bronze

Post by wfudeacons2005 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:24 pm

Is your place an actual 3BR? Where did you find it listed? Also, if you take the path don't you still need to switch trains at exchange place, then go to Newark? Seems like a bit of a pain every day to do bus to the path, change trains, back to newark-penn, bus to school? Or is it painless? I'm not much of a commuter.

Admittedly, it's more of a 2.5 bedroom but trust me, there are other reasonable deals to be had (<$1000). I found it on craigslist. Now I already had two friends that I was planning on living with but it's also by far and away the best place to find people looking for roommates. As to the commute itself, yeah I wouldn't ever recommend driving from Hoboken. For one, having a car in Hoboken is VERY expensive and actually finding a space is next to impossible. Couple that with the absurd traffic between the two and it just ain't worth it. Train is definitely the way to go. If you are taking NJT from Hoboken, it goes directly to Newark Broad. During the day (when you can walk), it's no more than a 8-10 minute trek. At night they have two shuttles that go directly from the law school to the station. If you take the PATH from uptown in Hoboken, the best move is to get the light rail at 9th Street and take that to the Exchange Place stop. Then, the PATH trip is a direct shot. Again, during the day the walk is no more than 10-12 minutes and at night shuttle to Penn are frequent.

As to the living in Newark question, I would HIGHLY recommend living in the Ironbound. It's by far and away the safest and most vibrant part of the city. At least there you can walk down to the local Dunkin Donuts at night. Everywhere else is pretty much just dead quiet and walking around alone is a serious safety risk. Totally understand the want to save money and that you have a degree of comfort in some tough areas but just be careful if you venture much out of the Ironbound. As someone whose extended family lived in Newark until the 1960s, I've always been rooting for the place to make a comeback. It seemed like there were some positive signs of a resurgence for a while (Corey Booker, NJPAC, Prudential Center etc.) but that has changed. The city's police force was cut and the violent crime is staggering.

nwlawschool2013

New

Post by nwlawschool2013 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:54 pm

So, I'm too lazy to read through this whole post, but isn't there a PATH train that goes almost directly to campus? You can pick up the PATH at the World Trade Center. That is one of the cheapest (though admittedly most expensive) areas of Manhattan to live - you can probably find a place for $800-$1000 with roommates.

Also, I'm not familiar with living outside the city, but craigslist is actually a really good place to look for roommates for NYC/Hoboken if you don't know people before you move. Because rent is so high in the city, EVERYONE is looking for roommates, and there are a ton of totally normal, sane students and young professionals looking for people. Just, you know, meet up with them once or twice for a self psych eval.

joshuajsmith

New

Post by joshuajsmith » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:05 pm

nwlawschool2013 wrote:So, I'm too lazy to read through this whole post, but isn't there a PATH train that goes almost directly to campus? You can pick up the PATH at the World Trade Center. That is one of the cheapest (though admittedly most expensive) areas of Manhattan to live - you can probably find a place for $800-$1000 with roommates.

Also, I'm not familiar with living outside the city, but craigslist is actually a really good place to look for roommates for NYC/Hoboken if you don't know people before you move. Because rent is so high in the city, EVERYONE is looking for roommates, and there are a ton of totally normal, sane students and young professionals looking for people. Just, you know, meet up with them once or twice for a self psych eval.
Not a smart plan, honestly. Rutgers-Newark will give you in-state tuition if you sign a 12 month lease in NJ before classes start.

wfudeacons2005

Bronze

Post by wfudeacons2005 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:36 pm

Yeah, Rutgers-Newark has one of the most liberal "in-state" tuition policies around. You could be from Hawaii and sign a 12 month lease anywhere in NJ one day before class starts and save a fortune so living in NYC wouldn't be a good idea. However, I suppose you may be able to live in NYC and keep in-state rates if you are from NJ, your parents still live there and you still consider their home your permanent address despite paying rent elsewhere. Not sure about the ethics of that though.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Kurohoshi

New

Post by Kurohoshi » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:40 pm

joshuajsmith wrote:
nwlawschool2013 wrote:So, I'm too lazy to read through this whole post, but isn't there a PATH train that goes almost directly to campus? You can pick up the PATH at the World Trade Center. That is one of the cheapest (though admittedly most expensive) areas of Manhattan to live - you can probably find a place for $800-$1000 with roommates.

Not a smart plan, honestly. Rutgers-Newark will give you in-state tuition if you sign a 12 month lease in NJ before classes start.
This. The discount for in-state could be rent for the 12 months if you find a cheap enough place.

Kurohoshi

New

Post by Kurohoshi » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:42 pm

emarxnj wrote: If you're below median, you're in trouble. Half of the class isn't going to drop out, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't, especially since they will lose a chunk of their scholarship if not all. Sorry to be negative, but go browse the forum a bit, check out Law School Transparency. It's not pretty. I know what you meant with the law enforcment example, and I'm with you. Nothing wrong with a back-up plan, I just wanted to make sure no one took it as the "law degree = versatile" shpeel that boomers puke out.

Gotcha. Agreed with everything.

And yeah, everyone under median will probably end up making a regular middle class wage at best.

@Spicylady75 no problem

nwlawschool2013

New

Post by nwlawschool2013 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:06 pm

joshuajsmith wrote:

Good to know

Mhens

New

Post by Mhens » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:26 am

Received an email today saying "although we are impressed by your credentials we have voted to defer making a decision on your application until later in the application cycle". So basically they want to see if any better candidates apply. Thanks Rutgers! Just wondering if anyone had a similar experience. The email also said I should have a decision before the middle of March.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dirtrida2

Bronze

Post by dirtrida2 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:41 am

Mhens wrote:Received an email today saying "although we are impressed by your credentials we have voted to defer making a decision on your application until later in the application cycle". So basically they want to see if any better candidates apply. Thanks Rutgers! Just wondering if anyone had a similar experience. The email also said I should have a decision before the middle of March.

You have a 4.0 GPA?

How many times have you taken the LSAT?

Please retake =)

Mhens

New

Post by Mhens » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:09 am

dirtrida2 wrote:
Mhens wrote:Received an email today saying "although we are impressed by your credentials we have voted to defer making a decision on your application until later in the application cycle". So basically they want to see if any better candidates apply. Thanks Rutgers! Just wondering if anyone had a similar experience. The email also said I should have a decision before the middle of March.

You have a 4.0 GPA?

Please retake =)

I graduated with a 3.98. I have taken the LSAT twice and scored a 153 the first time. Thought I did much better the second time around but only scored a point higher. I'm planning to study my ass off and retake in June to try and get off the waitlist at both Temple and Fordham.

dirtrida2

Bronze

Post by dirtrida2 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:21 am

Mhens wrote:
dirtrida2 wrote:

You have a 4.0 GPA?

Please retake =)

I graduated with a 3.98. I have taken the LSAT twice and scored a 153 the first time. Thought I did much better the second time around but only scored a point higher. I'm planning to study my ass off and retake in June to try and get off the waitlist at both Temple and Fordham.
I like your attitude, I was in the same boat as you.. two low 150 scores, I got a tutor and worked hard and finally broke into the 160's - so glad i did.

wfudeacons2005

Bronze

Post by wfudeacons2005 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:11 pm

I agree that the re-take is a good approach. Fordham definitely has superior job prospects relative to RU and Temple - especially in big law. However, I'd caution against paying sticker for it which could very well be the case if you are WL'd and see good improvement. Only 25% get those big time jobs and when you are talking about 250K-300K for tuition + cost of living, that's one hell of a bet (not to mention the 30% who are underemployed/unemployed). Maybe I'm biased but I'd take the lower risk, lower reward situation at Temple or RU if you get in if you don't get $$$ at Fordham. Regardless, good luck with whatever you choose!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”