Rutgers Newark c/o 2016 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
baddabing27

New

Re: Rutgers Newark c/o 2016

Post by baddabing27 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:53 pm

Couldn't believe this last one until I checked it for myself. Fordham is $225k with COL inclusive. Pricey.

penguinbrah

New

Post by penguinbrah » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:27 am

pretty sure i'm going to rutgers newark.. anyone here looking for a roommate? Dont wanna live with more than one person - just gets distracting with people coming over, girlfriends, etc... not tryina deal with that shit during law school... undergrad was crazy enough

Kurohoshi

New

Post by Kurohoshi » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:17 pm

penguinbrah wrote:pretty sure i'm going to rutgers newark.. anyone here looking for a roommate? Dont wanna live with more than one person - just gets distracting with people coming over, girlfriends, etc... not tryina deal with that shit during law school... undergrad was crazy enough

Probably tough to find a roommate here, just because no one knows anything about you beside the fact that you have a TLS account. Not much to go on when you are considering a year of living together. I think you'd have better luck at an on-campus event or through the school if they have a program for that.

wfudeacons2005

Bronze

Post by wfudeacons2005 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:08 pm

baddabing27 wrote:Couldn't believe this last one until I checked it for myself. Fordham is $225k with COL inclusive. Pricey.
according to law school transparency (the only trustworthy site around on this stuff as far as i am concerned) it's actually $275,631: http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=fordham

again, definitely better employment prospects...just not worth the extra 100K or so in risk as far as I am concerned.

NewYorkL

Bronze

Post by NewYorkL » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:49 pm

In via status checker. Wonder how long before I receive any scholly info, if any.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MeowMix11

New

Post by MeowMix11 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:31 pm

NewYorkL wrote:In via status checker. Wonder how long before I receive any scholly info, if any.
If you receive a scholarship, they will notify you via email within minutes after they notify you of acceptance (also via email).

penguinbrah

New

Post by penguinbrah » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:03 pm

how u guys feelin about the ranking dropping to 86 from 82? I personally think its nonsense that seton hall is 64 compared to rutgers. I'm from jersey and the general consensus in my worldview from talking to people i've come in contact with is that rutgers > seton by far

NewYorkL

Bronze

Post by NewYorkL » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:19 pm

Not that far of a drop therefore not that big of a deal. I'm from the area also but I've gotten the impression that Rutgers and Seton Hall are about equal. And if that's the case, I'd go with the cheaper option of the two, which is Rutgers.

dirtrida2

Bronze

Post by dirtrida2 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:26 pm

IMHO - Seton Hall places a lot of its students because it is a landing zone for the underachieving offspring of wealthy businessmen/lawyers.

The school tends to attract this demographic - most of these kids have had jobs lined up since they came out of the womb.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:30 pm

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:31 pm

dirtrida2

Bronze

Post by dirtrida2 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:32 pm

sublime12089 wrote:
dirtrida2 wrote:IMHO - Seton Hall places a lot of its students because it is a landing zone for the underachieving offspring of wealthy businessmen/lawyers.

The school tends to attract this demographic - most of these kids have had jobs lined up since they came out of the womb.

Shots fired.

haha, there is some truth to the statement.

I should really be taking shots at Rutgers N for not matching Camdens full ride (Camden even dropped my stip from top 40% to 3.0).

NewYorkL

Bronze

Post by NewYorkL » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:45 pm

dirtrida2 wrote:IMHO - Seton Hall places a lot of its students because it is a landing zone for the underachieving offspring of wealthy businessmen/lawyers.

Aren't these the kids you want to network with though?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dirtrida2

Bronze

Post by dirtrida2 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:51 pm

NewYorkL wrote:

Aren't these the kids you want to network with though?

Never said this was a bad thing, it just might explain the sizable gap in employment prospects between the two schools.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:54 pm

NewYorkL

Bronze

Post by NewYorkL » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:58 pm

sublime12089 wrote:
dirtrida2 wrote:
sublime12089 wrote:

Shots fired.

I should really be taking shots at Rutgers N for not matching Camdens full ride (Camden even dropped my stip from top 40% to 3.0).
Oh, I know it is. That is at least what my best friend who is a 3L at Rutgers-Newark and his roommates said when I visited.
Just didn't expect that level of bluntness lol.
Can you speak toward your 3L friend and what he thinks of the school (said he hates it, loves it, made the right choice) and if he has a job lined up?

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:36 am

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

NewYorkL

Bronze

Post by NewYorkL » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:57 am

That was some good insight. Thank you. The fact that many 3Ls are are worried about employment is worrisome but I would imagine this is happening at many schools.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:38 am

wfudeacons2005

Bronze

Post by wfudeacons2005 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:56 am

Despite only being a 1LE, I can confirm that the employment market is definitely a concern among 3Ls. However, I really do get the feeling that things aren't impossible if you are top 1/3 - 1/2 and the numbers tend to support that. Most of the kids that I talk to say that many of the people who cannot find jobs are below median and did not write on any of the reviews. Make no mistake though, those kids seem to be screwed in every sense of the word - I have heard people from that group talking about doing everything from going to get further degrees to knock the JD down their resume to working at their parents pizza join while living at home. Just lots of people who are just shocked at how the degree isn't going to get them the 6 figure job that they expected they would have after adding the Esq. to their title. Nevertheless, by being on TLS, I think you all appreciate that outside of the T-14 + a few others that is about as good of a reality as you can ask for nowadays and there is definitely a lot of optimism among 1Ls about the merger opening up a lot of new doors with regards to reputation and employment prospects by opening up another legal market. Simply put, RU is a reasonably priced and if you beat the median, you will most likely find legal work in New Jersey. Today, that ain't too bad.

ScarletKnight

New

Post by ScarletKnight » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:15 pm

Current 1L, if you guys have any questions let me know. The poster above is right. 3Ls are freaking out. However, those are the same 3Ls who came to law school thinking that they just need to graduate to get a 6 figure job. As far as a 1L standpoint, I finished first semester with a 3.75 and secured a pretty awesome summer job. I don't love the atmosphere, VERY PUBLIC INTEREST FOCUSED AND LIBERAL, neither of which I am, but the school is respected by New Jersey Firms and Companies and opportunities for top students are abundant.

Ask away.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

NewYorkL

Bronze

Post by NewYorkL » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:08 pm

You guys really addressed the most important things which are the job prospects. So thank you for that. Can you address other things that might helpful such as the workload, class sizes, social scene. I would assume you cannot choose professors the first year? And any other advice you could give someone to put themselves in a position to get that great GPA that Scarlet Knight just mentioned. Thanks again.

NewYorkL

Bronze

Post by NewYorkL » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:12 pm

sublime12089 wrote:No problem. If you think of any specific questions, I will ask him and see if he is willing to come on here, or let me put what he says.

Very nice avi, btw

Thanks. Pulp Fiction has to be one great films of all time. Samuel L. was a boss.

wfudeacons2005

Bronze

Post by wfudeacons2005 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:42 pm

NewYorkL wrote:You guys really addressed the most important things which are the job prospects. So thank you for that. Can you address other things that might helpful such as the workload, class sizes, social scene. I would assume you cannot choose professors the first year? And any other advice you could give someone to put themselves in a position to get that great GPA that Scarlet Knight just mentioned. Thanks again.
Since I'm a 1LE so I can't comment too much on the day program. I will say that the workload is heavy but it is not going to be as bad as all of the nightmares that you have likely heard. The professors have been a mixed bag for me and though I am not with the day students, I know that they operate on a similar track system. I believe the only choice that you have at all is whether you would like classes to start earlier or end later. Class sizes are fairly large but they do a good job of ensuring that each 1L has one "small section" class, which is much better for discussion etc. ScarletKnight is also 100% right in saying that the school is very liberal. I consider myself to be a good bit left of center but this place is definitely a bit out there. While both good things, the place emphasizes diversity and public interest to a fault, in my opinion. Can't comment much on the social life of a day 1L but I would really advise against living in Newark. The rent isn't that cheap, crime has been off the charts this year and it's just nice to have a little escape from school but also the depressing-ness of the city. If you want to be able to go out a night a week, I'd definitely recommend Hoboken. If that doesn't matter to you, I'd recommend Harrison. Place has a lot of decent living options and is a good bit nicer than Newark, IMO.

NewYorkL

Bronze

Post by NewYorkL » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:56 pm

dirtrida2 wrote:
sublime12089 wrote:

Shots fired.

They do negotiate though right? If I showed them a scholly from Rutgers Camden or NYLS, would they bite and give me something? Anyone know?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”