Rutgers Newark c/o 2016 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
NewYorkL

Bronze

Re: Rutgers Newark c/o 2016

Post by NewYorkL » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:02 pm

wfudeacons2005 wrote:
NewYorkL wrote:You guys really addressed the most important things which are the job prospects. So thank you for that. Can you address other things that might helpful such as the workload, class sizes, social scene. I would assume you cannot choose professors the first year? And any other advice you could give someone to put themselves in a position to get that great GPA that Scarlet Knight just mentioned. Thanks again.
Since I'm a 1LE so I can't comment too much on the day program. I will say that the workload is heavy but it is not going to be as bad as all of the nightmares that you have likely heard. The professors have been a mixed bag for me and though I am not with the day students, I know that they operate on a similar track system. I believe the only choice that you have at all is whether you would like classes to start earlier or end later. Class sizes are fairly large but they do a good job of ensuring that each 1L has one "small section" class, which is much better for discussion etc. ScarletKnight is also 100% right in saying that the school is very liberal. I consider myself to be a good bit left of center but this place is definitely a bit out there. While both good things, the place emphasizes diversity and public interest to a fault, in my opinion. Can't comment much on the social life of a day 1L but I would really advise against living in Newark. The rent isn't that cheap, crime has been off the charts this year and it's just nice to have a little escape from school but also the depressing-ness of the city. If you want to be able to go out a night a week, I'd definitely recommend Hoboken. If that doesn't matter to you, I'd recommend Harrison. Place has a lot of decent living options and is a good bit nicer than Newark, IMO.
Thank you. Great advice. Newark is def not the place to be.

ScarletKnight

New

Post by ScarletKnight » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:23 pm

NewYorkL wrote:You guys really addressed the most important things which are the job prospects. So thank you for that. Can you address other things that might helpful such as the workload, class sizes, social scene. I would assume you cannot choose professors the first year? And any other advice you could give someone to put themselves in a position to get that great GPA that Scarlet Knight just mentioned. Thanks again.
Workload - About 75 pages a week per major class

Class Sizes - Day students have 1 small section with their track (about 30 students) and 3 with a mixture of other other tracks. I had 2 classes with 3 tracks (90 students) and 1 with 2 tracks (60 students).

Social Scene - I commute to school and honestly not part of any social scene. I have some good friends in class but can't speak to the social scene outside of class.

Professors - You do not pick any of your professors except your elective in the spring semester.

Good GPA - Rutgers is for the most part anti-competitive for whatever reason. I am however extremely competitive and that is what your first year grades are, a competition (you vs. everyone else in the class). Part of that GPA is that I'm not part of any social scene. The other part is that I read every case after reading supplemental material (I like E&Es) on the topic or issues were discussing in class. The other part is that I had an easy time seeing both sides of the issues on exams. You can argue the hell out of 1 side and only get it 50% right, you need to make the arguments on both sides. Also I'm a somewhat gunner, in that I make it a priority to participate in every class (you get a bump up an extra .33 on your final gpa for that class if the teacher deems you participate a lot.) It may not sound like a lot but there's a BIG difference from a 3.75 to a 3.42 without my bumps, so participate.

Also you'll want to donate your life to LRW your first semester, and while it's important, remember it's only 1 credit. Same goes for criminal law to a lesser extent, 3 credits, compared to torts, property and contracts which are 4 each.

Honestly I love everything about the school outside of the Public Interest focus and it's nothing but liberal attitude. The professors are magnificent. All my professors were either Harvard, Yale, UMichigan, or Berkeley and they were all incredibly brilliant. However, I don't appreciate the strong emphasis on affirmative action programs, which give MSP kids an unfair advantage onto Law Review (they have to have a certain % on it), but that's for a different day. Hopefully Fisher v. Texas ends that (my right wing approach obviously).
Last edited by ScarletKnight on Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ScarletKnight

New

Post by ScarletKnight » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:25 pm

NewYorkL wrote:
dirtrida2 wrote:
sublime12089 wrote:
dirtrida2 wrote:IMHO - Seton Hall places a lot of its students because it is a landing zone for the underachieving offspring of wealthy businessmen/lawyers.

The school tends to attract this demographic - most of these kids have had jobs lined up since they came out of the womb.

Shots fired.

haha, there is some truth to the statement.

I should really be taking shots at Rutgers N for not matching Camdens full ride (Camden even dropped my stip from top 40% to 3.0).

They do negotiate though right? If I showed them a scholly from Rutgers Camden or NYLS, would they bite and give me something? Anyone know?
They didn't last year, I got 15k from Rutgers and full rides from R-C, Syracuse and 20K from Fordham. They didn't budge.

NewYorkL

Bronze

Post by NewYorkL » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:49 pm

Really appreciate the writeup Scarlet Knight that's great insight for anyone whose interested in the day program at Rutgers. R-N happens to be my top choice at the moment.

ScarletKnight

New

Post by ScarletKnight » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:28 pm

No problem, it's a great choice and a great opportunity if you're willing to work hard. If you or anyone else have any questions let me know and I'll do as best I can to answer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jay_nj

New

Post by jay_nj » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:50 am

quonsoe00 wrote:
dirtrida2 wrote:Just accepted today, 12k scholarship.

Anyone have any luck negotiating scholarships with Rutgers?
I did have luck negotiating. I went from 0 scholarship to 8k per year. But that is probably due to the fact that I should have received one to begin with.

What were your LSAT and GPA stats? I was hoping to get something from them but not so lucky. Also, how did you go about negotiating coming from a position where they weren't giving you any money at all?

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:19 am

NJ resident here, and 99% sure I will be at R-N. Newark is a rough area, though University Heights would be fine. I also hear Harrison, Kearny, and Bellville are safe enough areas. If you were okay with being further out, and taking the train/driving in, Montclair and Bloomfield are some other options. I've looked at parts of Jersey City as well, which like Newark has it's good and bad (very bad) areas. Hoboken is the most "fun" option, I've got friends there, but you will be commuting close to an hour everyday. Personally I'm not in love with Hoboken, it's city COL without being in the city.

Edit: Also hear that the Ironbound area of Newark is relatively safe, mostly working class. More importantly, I hear the food is fucking fantastic.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:25 am

get it to x

Bronze

Post by get it to x » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:47 am

Recent RU grad, willing to take your questions if any. Fire away.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jay_nj

New

Post by jay_nj » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:04 am

emarxnj wrote:NJ resident here, and 99% sure I will be at R-N. Newark is a rough area, though University Heights would be fine. I also hear Harrison, Kearny, and Bellville are safe enough areas. If you were okay with being further out, and taking the train/driving in, Montclair and Bloomfield are some other options. I've looked at parts of Jersey City as well, which like Newark has it's good and bad (very bad) areas. Hoboken is the most "fun" option, I've got friends there, but you will be commuting close to an hour everyday. Personally I'm not in love with Hoboken, it's city COL without being in the city.

Edit: Also hear that the Ironbound area of Newark is relatively safe, mostly working class. More importantly, I hear the food is fucking fantastic.
I'm a NJ resident too and most likely going to Rutgers. I've been looking around the area and it seems like the downtown buildings near Penn look to be decent (and in a decent area). That, with the shuttle service that Rutgers offers to and from Penn 24/7 isn't bad. Hoboken is definitely going to be the most fun (but also most expensive) although Craigslist had a few postings near the PATH for about $1000 per person--not bad for Hoboken and being within walking distance to Washington Ave. Some relatives of mine lived in South Orange which is nearby as well and about a 20 minute round-trip commute. The area is very nice and quiet and has a train station that can get you straight to New York.

japenanunez

New

Post by japenanunez » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:40 am

Accepted into the JD/MBA program and the MSP program, does anyone have any idea what the advantages of participating in the MSP are, if any? Also, do any current students know how the JD/MBA curriculum works, and the job prospects of JD/MBA's who are currently in the program? Thanks any info would be useful. :D

wfudeacons2005

Bronze

Post by wfudeacons2005 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:40 pm

Just my two cents as current student but I wouldn't say that the University Heights area is "fine". I know that is where a lot of students live and that chances are nothing will happen but the amount of crime in and around Rutgers campus has been staggering this year. I swear there was a point where I was getting 1 or more police alerts every week and that is just for the stuff ON CAMPUS. The issue is that one side borders on the downtown side, while the other borders on Broad Street. And, once you cross Broad Street, you are in one of the most dangerous parts of the city. Some of the downtown buildings are okay and I agree that the Ironbound is pretty safe and has some great food options but rent in these areas isn't that much of a bargain. With everything in mind, I'd really look at Harrison/Jersey City/Hoboken. I spent a fair amount of time in Newark growing up, my family is from there etc. and I have to be honest, being there everyday is worse than I thought it would be.

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:16 pm

wfudeacons2005 wrote:Just my two cents as current student but I wouldn't say that the University Heights area is "fine". I know that is where a lot of students live and that chances are nothing will happen but the amount of crime in and around Rutgers campus has been staggering this year. I swear there was a point where I was getting 1 or more police alerts every week and that is just for the stuff ON CAMPUS. The issue is that one side borders on the downtown side, while the other borders on Broad Street. And, once you cross Broad Street, you are in one of the most dangerous parts of the city. Some of the downtown buildings are okay and I agree that the Ironbound is pretty safe and has some great food options but rent in these areas isn't that much of a bargain. With everything in mind, I'd really look at Harrison/Jersey City/Hoboken. I spent a fair amount of time in Newark growing up, my family is from there etc. and I have to be honest, being there everyday is worse than I thought it would be.
Problem is the commute from Hoboken. Let's assume you aren't walking distance to Path, you gotta go bus-path-path-bus to campus, this is going to take you close to an hour. But yeah, all-in-all Newark is a shithole.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:49 am

Can someone confirm I'm right about this? I had someone recently tell me a path train DOES run direct from Hoboken to Newark during AM and PM rush hours (though bus travel would still be needed), I was under the impression you needed to exchange trains no matter what, as it doesn't look like the red line goes from Hoboken to Newark. It doesn't mitigate the high cost of living, but still.

wfudeacons2005

Bronze

Post by wfudeacons2005 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:56 pm

emarxnj wrote:Can someone confirm I'm right about this? I had someone recently tell me a path train DOES run direct from Hoboken to Newark during AM and PM rush hours (though bus travel would still be needed), I was under the impression you needed to exchange trains no matter what, as it doesn't look like the red line goes from Hoboken to Newark. It doesn't mitigate the high cost of living, but still.
You always need to change PATH trains to get from Hoboken to Newark Penn. However, NJT runs direct from Newark Broad to Hoboken direct every hour (approx.)

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:04 am

wfudeacons2005 wrote:
emarxnj wrote:Can someone confirm I'm right about this? I had someone recently tell me a path train DOES run direct from Hoboken to Newark during AM and PM rush hours (though bus travel would still be needed), I was under the impression you needed to exchange trains no matter what, as it doesn't look like the red line goes from Hoboken to Newark. It doesn't mitigate the high cost of living, but still.
You always need to change PATH trains to get from Hoboken to Newark Penn. However, NJT runs direct from Newark Broad to Hoboken direct every hour (approx.)
Ah got it. Thanks.

_empower

New

Post by _empower » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:24 pm

Thoughts on going to R-N while living in NYC? I already live here and my husband is a student as well, so I would rather not move. I feel like the out-of-state tuition would make this an insane idea..

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:05 am

_empower

New

Post by _empower » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:41 am

sublime12089 wrote:
_empower wrote:Thoughts on going to R-N while living in NYC? I already live here and my husband is a student as well, so I would rather not move. I feel like the out-of-state tuition would make this an insane idea..

I would certainly agree at sticker.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I haven't received any scholarship info, just the initial acceptance email. It's almost cheaper to find the cheapest room possible on craiglist and sign a year lease to get in-state.

jack5on

New

Post by jack5on » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:36 am

Just withdrew. 10k back in the pot. Hope it gets spread around!

rwhyAn

Bronze

Post by rwhyAn » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:04 am

Just deposited, part-time student. Maybe I'll see some of you there.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

RAWR

Bronze

Post by RAWR » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:27 am

Withdrew with $$. Hopefully they throw it at someone else.

NewYorkL

Bronze

Post by NewYorkL » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:43 am

Deposited yesterday. I wonder if I can still negotiate scholly.

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:16 pm

Can anyone with knowledge of the area speak to what areas of Jersey City would be considered safe (and affordable) for student living?

NewYorkL

Bronze

Post by NewYorkL » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:38 pm

emarxnj wrote:Can anyone with knowledge of the area speak to what areas of Jersey City would be considered safe (and affordable) for student living?
The Heights and anywhere near Journal Square. From JSQ, you take the Path, and your right in Newark.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”