University of Washington c/o 2016

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ALgooner

Re: University of Washington c/o 2016

Postby ALgooner » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:38 pm

Also received the email last week letting me know I wasn't getting a scholly. Not trying to sound entitled, but considering the large offers I received from higher ranked schools, I was a bit perplexed. I had heard that UW was stingy, but it was still surprising. I tried to negotiate, and was told that they would not be making any scholarship offers until after May 1.

UW was definitely one of my top choices, but there is no way I can attend without a scholly. And waiting until after May 1 to hear back isn't really feasible.

GM544

Postby GM544 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:34 pm

Redfactor wrote:I have a question for you. I am starting to look for places to live near UW. I don't want to live in University District because... I am not in undergrad and don't really want to deal with that at 2AM.

Some places are better than others in this respect. You can definitely live in the u-district and not feel like you're surrounded by college kids. That said, probably not in your price range.

Redfactor wrote:I am trying to figure out some good areas to live. My fiancee and I are late 20's. I have heard suggestions about not wanting to cross bridges. So, stay in the north.

My SO and I are also late 20s and we've been focusing our search on the areas just North of the U-District - Ravenna, Roosevelt, Bryant, Wedgewood. As for bridges, I would not even consider living on the East side (Bellevue, Kirkland, etc.) both because of cost and because there are only two bridges that go across, one of which has a $5 toll. At rush hour you might be looking at 1-2 hours to make it over the I-90 bridge. I've never had much trouble with the North-South bridges though.

Redfactor wrote:My question is, if I live south of UW and commute across the I-5 bridge or the Montlake bridge, would it really be that bad? I would be going against the flow of traffic each way, no?

There isn't really a "flow of traffic" exactly. Seattle traffic is somewhat unpredictable. Either way, when you talk about commute, are you talking about driving? I would not recommend that under any circumstances. Parking in the U-district isn't really a viable option. There are some reserved monthly lots, but I contacted them and they said they might have a space opening up in the future and to contact them again in a few months. These lots are priced at $110-$140 per month. Pretty much everything else is 2 hour parking only.

Redfactor wrote:I say this because we like the Capital Hill area but haven't spent enough time in Seattle proper to know traffic patterns that well.

I like Capitol hill, but I'm not really interested in living there. It feels much more cramped to me, parking is a huge pain, and rent is higher. Furthermore, if your goal is to avoid undergrads, keep in mind that Seattle U and Seattle Central CC are both in Capitol Hill and much of the area is not going to be that quiet at 2 am. That said, the commute from there shouldn't be a problem. My SO used to bus from UW to Capitol Hill and it took only 20 minutes.

Redfactor wrote:Or do you have specific areas you'd recommend? We're trying to keep it under 1300 per month with a parking spot.

$1300 is really really pushing it if you want parking too, either for Capitol Hill or the U-district. As a general rule you should add $100 to the rent for parking. I've seen places as low as $60 but others as high as $145. Are you ok with living in a studio? As is typical, the further out you go, the more space you get for the money, so it's a trade off. I don't know what your fiance will be doing, but I would definitely consider the commute for each of you when you look at a place. There's a big difference between on a bus line and not on a bus line. I use google directions to get estimates because it will tell you which bus lines run, how often they come, and how long they take, and also factors in traffic. There probably are many more apartments in this range available than I know about, because many of them are never listed on the internet. Places do "pre-leasing" and many are already booked through August. We're trying to get into a place now that won't even be available until June, but we know the guy who is leaving. Places are rarely available for more than 24 hours.

Hope that's helpful! And sorry if I sound alarmist, the housing thing has me a little stressed right now. Let me know if I can answer other questions!

ETA: You also might want to consider Wallingford. That's where I currently live. It's cute, walkable, and an easy bus ride (or long walk) to campus. Ballard is nice too and very popular, but a longer bus ride. I love Green Lake too, but only certain areas have good access to the appropriate bus lines.

WisemanAEKDB

Postby WisemanAEKDB » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:54 am

did anyone receive grant money from UW? just wondering how bad this is going to be if I'm chosen post-WL...

simplycatalina

Postby simplycatalina » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:57 am

WisemanAEKDB wrote:did anyone receive grant money from UW? just wondering how bad this is going to be if I'm chosen post-WL...

I got nothing. :/

Redfactor

Postby Redfactor » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:02 pm

I didn't receive anything.

And thank you GM544! I just realized I hadn't thanked you for all the great info. As I was reading I was searching Craigslist with all the neighborhoods you mentioned :)

barrydukakis

Postby barrydukakis » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:16 am

Last edited by barrydukakis on Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GM544

Postby GM544 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:38 am

Redfactor wrote:I didn't receive anything.

And thank you GM544! I just realized I hadn't thanked you for all the great info. As I was reading I was searching Craigslist with all the neighborhoods you mentioned :)

Happy to help. ( : Best of luck with your search!

I also wanted to add that I was just talking with two current students who live in Capitol hill and they both said the daily commute was easy, so that definitely shouldn't be a reason not to live there.

johnsbren

Postby johnsbren » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:46 am

I didn't receive a scholarship, but the grant was very generous. As an in state student, it makes UW incredibly affordable for the school I want in the place I want. I attribute the grant to being married with a kid, so if you're single I'm not sure how it will turn out.

WisemanAEKDB

Postby WisemanAEKDB » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:59 pm

johnsbren wrote:I didn't receive a scholarship, but the grant was very generous. As an in state student, it makes UW incredibly affordable for the school I want in the place I want. I attribute the grant to being married with a kid, so if you're single I'm not sure how it will turn out.

I'm jealous. Also, I'm single. I thought about claiming my cat as a dependent for financial aid purposes, however, I'm pretty sure that's not FASFA-approved.

simplycatalina

Postby simplycatalina » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:05 pm

Anyone in town for the ASW?? Just got into Seattle yesterday.

icecreamdance

Postby icecreamdance » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:32 pm

I couldn't make it to ASW - could people who are there please post and let me know how it went?

uconjak

Postby uconjak » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:37 pm

I withdrew this morning....No scholarship money ....Good luck to all who want to go to SeaTac

Redfactor

Postby Redfactor » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:48 pm

Info, impressions, and pictures from today are appreciated!

WisemanAEKDB

Postby WisemanAEKDB » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:53 pm

Redfactor wrote:Info, impressions, and pictures from today are appreciated!

I can post pics, but look for the c/o 2015 thread. Some guy took so many good pictures, which are better than mine. I didn't do the actual ASW, so I can't comment on that, however the school is absolutely beautiful, the law building is awesome, and the staff were more than nice. I had a great time visiting. Now, off to the Seattle bar scene. Will report later on that matter.

b123

Postby b123 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:10 am

Did anyone attempt negotiations yet?

WisemanAEKDB

Postby WisemanAEKDB » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:03 am

Touring the school was great. I had a really good time and the campus/surrounding area is perfect for me. I'm drafting a LOCI. Would anyone mind proofreading? It's appreciated.

GM544

Postby GM544 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:21 am

Redfactor wrote:Info, impressions, and pictures from today are appreciated!

I was there. I was generally pleased with the school and I will be attending next year. Here are some highlights:

The mock class was amazing. I've also observed 2 other classes on prior visits and I've been extremely impressed by the quality of instruction each time.

Financial aid session was less encouraging. Short answer is, don't expect a scholarship and if you get one, don't expect it to cover much.

I did learn that the current employment stats are somewhat misleadingly low because the school has such a focus on public interest work. Many grads take jobs which are only JD advantage because it's the work they actually want to be doing, not because they couldn't find anything "better." From my conversations with current students, this seems to be good info, not just a sales pitch. All the 3Ls I've talked to have firm jobs lined up.

I'm happy to answer more specific questions about the day (or about Seattle) if you have them.

bigfootseattle

Postby bigfootseattle » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:59 pm

Anyone here still on the waitlist and an instate student? I want to hear your thoughts on waiting out the waitlist.

naw

Postby naw » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:29 pm

b123 wrote:Did anyone attempt negotiations yet?

ALgooner wrote:I tried to negotiate, and was told that they would not be making any scholarship offers until after May 1.

+1

johnsbren

Postby johnsbren » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:08 pm

sent in the deposit yesterday. excited and can't wait to start!

icecreamdance

Postby icecreamdance » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:28 am

Withdrew. Hope my spot goes to a TLSer!

onionskin

Postby onionskin » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:32 pm

Anyone gotten in off the WL?

JaviSTB

Postby JaviSTB » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:56 am

onionskin wrote:Anyone gotten in off the WL?

Came to this thread to ask the same question. I know last year, they were coming off mid-Mayish, so idk.

johnsbren

Postby johnsbren » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:33 am

You'd think they would wait until mid-May, after the confirmation deposit is due. I doubt there will be anything before that.

viksn1

Postby viksn1 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:20 am

Withdrew today. I hope this opens up a spot for one of you!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”