University of Washington c/o 2016

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Notorious BHG

Re: University of Washington c/o 2016

Postby Notorious BHG » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:39 pm

Long-time lurker, first-time poster. Happy to be here.

Are people going to the ASW? Any idea what the community service project on the second day is?

dproduct

Postby dproduct » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:46 am

Withdrew. Good luck everyone.

GM544

Postby GM544 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:12 pm

WisemanAEKDB wrote:About the LSAT: looks like nearly no one got off of the WL from TLS last cycle, but those who did mostly heard back in the second week in May. I will ask the admission counselor I meet with what he/she thinks is the best course of action. I don't think the June LSAT would benefit my situation. But it never hurts to ask.

Has this meeting happened yet? I would love to know what you found out. I'm considering a retake for scholarship purposes but I have the same feeling that the most likely outcome is it won't matter.

WisemanAEKDB

Postby WisemanAEKDB » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:51 pm

GM544 wrote:
WisemanAEKDB wrote:About the LSAT: looks like nearly no one got off of the WL from TLS last cycle, but those who did mostly heard back in the second week in May. I will ask the admission counselor I meet with what he/she thinks is the best course of action. I don't think the June LSAT would benefit my situation. But it never hurts to ask.

Has this meeting happened yet? I would love to know what you found out. I'm considering a retake for scholarship purposes but I have the same feeling that the most likely outcome is it won't matter.

Not yet. I'm pretty sold on UW and I'm gunning for an acceptance off of the WL. I think I'll either be accepted in May or June, or I won't be getting an acceptance. LSAT scores back the first week in July... The only way I'd retake at this point was if I was 100% committed to deferring for a year and working, which is still an option, but I don't know. I'm so confused. Law school make my brain hurt and I haven't even sat in a single day of classes yet...

simplycatalina

Postby simplycatalina » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:57 am

Who's going to the ASW on April 5 and 6??

warrior23

Postby warrior23 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:52 pm

Long time lurker but first post. I love UW, but was shocked by the nonexistent scholly offer. Anyone else disappointed with their scholarship offer/ had any luck negotiating?

intlsplitr

Postby intlsplitr » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:07 pm

warrior23 wrote:Long time lurker but first post. I love UW, but was shocked by the nonexistent scholly offer. Anyone else disappointed with their scholarship offer/ had any luck negotiating?

Yeah, definitely disappointed here as well. I got nothing. Zilch. Nada. I was seriously considering UW, but not at sticker. I'll be withdrawing shortly; I hope one of you get the spot!

Notorious BHG

Postby Notorious BHG » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:52 pm

warrior23 wrote:Long time lurker but first post. I love UW, but was shocked by the nonexistent scholly offer. Anyone else disappointed with their scholarship offer/ had any luck negotiating?

Sooo disappointed. I know my numbers aren't great, and I really didn't expect anything, but I was hoping that there was some small, token amount that they would send my way to say that they want me to go there. I'd be fine with no money if I were still in-state, but I'm not.

I (barely) avoided sending a drunken angry email in response. That would've been a poor negotiating tactic.

Notorious BHG

Postby Notorious BHG » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:54 pm

cbarlow1016 wrote:Who's going to the ASW on April 5 and 6??

I will be. It got me out of jury duty.

dproduct

Postby dproduct » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:20 pm

intlsplitr wrote:

Yeah, definitely disappointed here as well. I got nothing. Zilch. Nada. I was seriously considering UW, but not at sticker. I'll be withdrawing shortly; I hope one of you get the spot!

Notorious BHG wrote:Sooo disappointed. I know my numbers aren't great, and I really didn't expect anything, but I was hoping that there was some small, token amount that they would send my way to say that they want me to go there. I'd be fine with no money if I were still in-state, but I'm not.

I (barely) avoided sending a drunken angry email in response. That would've been a poor negotiating tactic.

I received nothing as well. It's laughable, really. The email itself was frustrating. Not only the portion about, "maybe we'll have more money later and give you something" but then the "we're still so affordable it doesn't matter!" No. :roll: :roll: :roll:

warrior23

Postby warrior23 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:29 pm

dproduct wrote:
intlsplitr wrote:

Notorious BHG wrote:Sooo disappointed. I know my numbers aren't great, and I really didn't expect anything, but I was hoping that there was some small, token amount that they would send my way to say that they want me to go there. I'd be fine with no money if I were still in-state, but I'm not.

I received nothing as well. It's laughable, really. The email itself was frustrating. Not only the portion about, "maybe we'll have more money later and give you something" but then the "we're still so affordable it doesn't matter!" No. :roll: :roll: :roll:

I know! I heard that they were stingy, but I had no idea that we would receive nothing. What are all of your thoughts about UW at sticker? I am not so sure they are worth their price tag.

sublime

Postby sublime » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:49 pm

dproduct

Postby dproduct » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:16 pm

warrior23 wrote:I know! I heard that they were stingy, but I had no idea that we would receive nothing. What are all of your thoughts about UW at sticker? I am not so sure they are worth their price tag.

Me personally? It was an easy withdrawal. Normally I'd be upset, but at this point in the cycle, I need reasons to eliminate choices, so I'm not too disappointed. Good luck with your decision.

johnsbren

Postby johnsbren » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:31 pm

so everyone is posting about how they got nothing in offers, but how did you find out? Have people been receiving emails or is it snail mail? I applied the day I was able to access the admitted students site (i think towards the beginning of february) and still I've heard nothing. When have people been receiving them?

warrior23

Postby warrior23 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:32 pm

johnsbren wrote:so everyone is posting about how they got nothing in offers, but how did you find out? Have people been receiving emails or is it snail mail? I applied the day I was able to access the admitted students site (i think towards the beginning of february) and still I've heard nothing. When have people been receiving them?

I received an email on Friday night saying that they were not going to extend a merit scholarship offer to me. I am not sure about others.

intlsplitr

Postby intlsplitr » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:40 pm

johnsbren wrote:so everyone is posting about how they got nothing in offers, but how did you find out? Have people been receiving emails or is it snail mail? I applied the day I was able to access the admitted students site (i think towards the beginning of february) and still I've heard nothing. When have people been receiving them?

Via email on Friday.

simplycatalina

Postby simplycatalina » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:17 am

Notorious BHG wrote:
cbarlow1016 wrote:Who's going to the ASW on April 5 and 6??

I will be. It got me out of jury duty.

Always a good reason.

superhopefulwoo

Postby superhopefulwoo » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:17 pm

It seems to me that they will probably provide more scholarships later when some students commit? Like maybe they are targeting their median students before the 75th and above scorers because I can't imagine that some of you on here wouldn't receive any merit offer.

b123

Postby b123 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:23 pm

Has anyone attempted negotiations?

sunspot

Postby sunspot » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:58 pm

I got an email saying no aid. And like a previous applicant, the email included a self-congratulatory statement about how affordable UW is.

I didn't put this in withdrawal, but since it seems clear that the UW admissions people read the forums, I may as well put it here: Admissions staff, that's an insult, and that sentence should be removed from future financial aid emails. UW has every right in the world to charge $42K to out-of-state students. And UW is welcome to bar OOS students from residency as well, if that's what they want to do. But with their own calculations of living expenses--assuming they aren't overly conservative--that's nearly $200K for a three-year education at a regional school--a great one, but a regional school--in a tight legal market with no real LRAP. At sticker price, that's not affordable, and it's simply not a good deal compared with many similarly placed universities. If UW aspires to be, as it states, the best law school in the country, it should expect to be admitting people who aren't dumb enough to read a claim like that and find it offensively out of touch.

Nobody's entitled to aid, and I wouldn't disparage anyone who's able or willing to pay OOS tuition at sticker price--that's a great choice for many people, I'm sure. But a deal it is not.

UW was first choice, but I declined in favor of a comparably ranked school elsewhere that offered almost a free ride.

Good luck to all!

warrior23

Postby warrior23 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:01 pm

sunspot wrote:

I got an email saying no aid. And like a previous applicant, the email included a self-congratulatory statement about how affordable UW is.

I didn't put this in withdrawal, but since it seems clear that the UW admissions people read the forums, I may as well put it here: Admissions staff, that's an insult, and that sentence should be removed from future financial aid emails. UW has every right in the world to charge $42K to out-of-state students. And UW is welcome to bar OOS students from residency as well, if that's what they want to do. But with their own calculations of living expenses--assuming they aren't overly conservative--that's nearly $200K for a three-year education at a regional school--a great one, but a regional school--in a tight legal market with no real LRAP. At sticker price, that's not affordable, and it's simply not a good deal compared with many similarly placed universities. If UW aspires to be, as it states, the best law school in the country, it should expect to be admitting people who aren't dumb enough to read a claim like that and find it offensively out of touch.

Nobody's entitled to aid, and I wouldn't disparage anyone who's able or willing to pay OOS tuition at sticker price--that's a great choice for many people, I'm sure. But a deal it is not.

UW was first choice, but I declined in favor of a comparably ranked school elsewhere that offered almost a free ride.

Good luck to all!

Best post. Couldn't agree more.

UselessKnowledge

Postby UselessKnowledge » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:58 am

warrior23 wrote:
dproduct wrote:
intlsplitr wrote:

I know! I heard that they were stingy, but I had no idea that we would receive nothing. What are all of your thoughts about UW at sticker? I am not so sure they are worth their price tag.

I see where all of you are coming from, but the amount of entitlement for merit scharships that people on this forum have is ridiculous and kind of infuriating actually. One of you has a 160 LSAT. You should be happy to have been accepted at all! If you don't want to have debt, go to another school that does offer you money. Don't act as if you're just entitled to a full ride to your reach school and talk about how you are thinking of drunkenly emailing them about how you deserve aid because you've determined that's the case. Man, I'm sure no one will agree with ne, but this whole page really rubs me the wrong way.

justathought21

Postby justathought21 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:15 am

I see where all of you are coming from, but the amount of entitlement for merit scharships that people on this forum have is ridiculous and kind of infuriating actually. One of you has a 160 LSAT. You should be happy to have been accepted at all! If you don't want to have debt, go to another school that does offer you money. Don't act as if you're just entitled to a full ride to your reach school and talk about how you are thinking of drunkenly emailing them about how you deserve aid because you've determined that's the case. Man, I'm sure no one will agree with ne, but this whole page really rubs me the wrong way.[/quote]

Hey "Useless Knowledge", If a school accepts a student given the current economic climate and employment prospect, that school should be willing to accept some of the risk for its student. I have read MULTIPLE posts by lawyers who are struggling to pay their rent and eat while their alma mater is sitting fat happy.

Your use of the concept of "entitlement" is incorrect. What students have been upset about with respect to UW, is the fact that a STATE school receiving PUBLIC FUNDING from peoples taxes is not sharing the wealth. Instead, what UW has chosen to do is show a small piece of the DIRECT and INDIRECT opportunity costs related to attending UW Law School, and then stake a claim that its so cheap to attend that there is no need for tuition assistance. Not a good idea on UW's part, and may be a sign that their falling rankings (for 20 to 28) may only be the beginning of a more dramatic fall to come.

Imagine what would happen if aspiring law students came together and vetoed UW's current attitude by simply NOT attending! Once you attend its over....they have you. You have acquired a sunk cost that you can never get back....So BEFORE you attend any law school, please make sure that you are getting the best deal YOU know is right....NOT the deal that the school is claiming is right for you! Buyer PLEASE BEWARE!

justathought21

Postby justathought21 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:16 am

Hey "Useless Knowledge", If a school accepts a student given the current economic climate and employment prospect, that school should be willing to accept some of the risk for its student. I have read MULTIPLE posts by lawyers who are struggling to pay their rent and eat while their alma mater is sitting fat happy.

Your use of the concept of "entitlement" is incorrect. What students have been upset about with respect to UW, is the fact that a STATE school receiving PUBLIC FUNDING from peoples taxes is not sharing the wealth. Instead, what UW has chosen to do is show a small piece of the DIRECT and INDIRECT opportunity costs related to attending UW Law School, and then stake a claim that its so cheap to attend that there is no need for tuition assistance. Not a good idea on UW's part, and may be a sign that their falling rankings (for 20 to 28) may only be the beginning of a more dramatic fall to come.

Imagine what would happen if aspiring law students came together and vetoed UW's current attitude by simply NOT attending! Once you attend its over....they have you. You have acquired a sunk cost that you can never get back....So BEFORE you attend any law school, please make sure that you are getting the best deal YOU know is right....NOT the deal that the school is claiming is right for you! Buyer PLEASE BEWARE!

Notorious BHG

Postby Notorious BHG » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:22 am

UselessKnowledge wrote:I see where all of you are coming from, but the amount of entitlement for merit scharships that people on this forum have is ridiculous and kind of infuriating actually. One of you has a 160 LSAT. You should be happy to have been accepted at all! If you don't want to have debt, go to another school that does offer you money. Don't act as if you're just entitled to a full ride to your reach school and talk about how you are thinking of drunkenly emailing them about how you deserve aid because you've determined that's the case. Man, I'm sure no one will agree with ne, but this whole page really rubs me the wrong way.

Perhaps you missed the part where I acknowledged that, because of my less-than-stellar numbers, I didn't expect to receive any money. Perhaps you also missed the part where I said that a small amount of money (not a full ride) would've been a nice gesture. You know how your grandma would send you a card on Valentine's Day with $5 tucked inside? That's what I was hoping for, though I was absolutely happy to be receiving the card.

P.S. The drunken email was tongue in cheek.

(Edited to clean up quotes.)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”