University of Washington c/o 2016

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
whatsup2b

Re: University of Washington c/o 2016

Postby whatsup2b » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:24 am

When does UW release scholarships?

chatterbox

Postby chatterbox » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:00 pm

While turning in my scholarship essay this morning, I read that the UW scholarship essay is a yearly requirement. So I'll be writing an essay every year proving my worth for a scholarship based on involvement in student organizations, journals, recruitment, leadership, volunteerism...

I'm very inclined to go to UW. But comparable schools have offered me scholarships that recur contingent only on my GPA. Only UW introduces the financial uncertainty of losing a scholarship based on soft factors.

Am I reading this correctly?

postard

Postby postard » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:50 pm

chatterbox wrote:While turning in my scholarship essay this morning, I read that the UW scholarship essay is a yearly requirement. So I'll be writing an essay every year proving my worth for a scholarship based on involvement in student organizations, journals, recruitment, leadership, volunteerism...

I'm very inclined to go to UW. But comparable schools have offered me scholarships that recur contingent only on my GPA. Only UW introduces the financial uncertainty of losing a scholarship based on soft factors.

No, I'm pretty sure you're not. I believe they renew every year, read up further in the thread.

chatterbox

Postby chatterbox » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:39 pm

postard wrote:
chatterbox wrote:While turning in my scholarship essay this morning, I read that the UW scholarship essay is a yearly requirement. So I'll be writing an essay every year proving my worth for a scholarship based on involvement in student organizations, journals, recruitment, leadership, volunteerism...

No, I'm pretty sure you're not. I believe they renew every year, read up further in the thread.
I just spoke with someone in the admissions office. You do not need to reapply every year. (edit - see below)
Last edited by chatterbox on Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chatterbox

Postby chatterbox » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:33 pm

I just received an e-mail from UW admissions. Official word from admissions is:

"Scholarship awards offered to incoming students cover all three years at the law school with no conditions for renewal beyond continued enrollment at UW Law."

I apologize if I worried anyone.

dproduct

Postby dproduct » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:41 pm

Was very nice of Dean Le to send out a clarification email. May that officially put to rest anyones concern about whether scholarships are renewed or not.

intlsplitr

Postby intlsplitr » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:43 pm

dproduct wrote:Was very nice of Dean Le to send out a clarification email. May that officially put to rest anyones concern about whether scholarships are renewed or not.

Totally agree. I like that he referred to "a series of questions on blogs". Awesome.

WisemanAEKDB

Postby WisemanAEKDB » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:35 am

Is anyone else riding out the waitlist here? I see a lot of people withdrawing, but I was wondering if I've got some company. Preparing for the long haul here. From viewing last year's thread, it looks like they didn't admit too many off of the WL. They cut a lot of people the first week in May, admitted a very small amount, and kept a few on throughout the entire summer.

MeowMix11

Postby MeowMix11 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:13 pm

WisemanAEKDB wrote:Is anyone else riding out the waitlist here? I see a lot of people withdrawing, but I was wondering if I've got some company. Preparing for the long haul here. From viewing last year's thread, it looks like they didn't admit too many off of the WL. They cut a lot of people the first week in May, admitted a very small amount, and kept a few on throughout the entire summer.

I'm thinking of waiting it out. But with my LSAT score I'm not counting on getting in. Please no lectures on retaking, heard it all before :)

atay

Postby atay » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:37 pm

MeowMix11 wrote:
WisemanAEKDB wrote:Is anyone else riding out the waitlist here? I see a lot of people withdrawing, but I was wondering if I've got some company. Preparing for the long haul here. From viewing last year's thread, it looks like they didn't admit too many off of the WL. They cut a lot of people the first week in May, admitted a very small amount, and kept a few on throughout the entire summer.

I'm thinking of waiting it out. But with my LSAT score I'm not counting on getting in. Please no lectures on retaking, heard it all before :)

I'm waiting it out too. Even if I get in I'm not sure I will go since I have decent scholarships from other (lower ranked) schools. I did give in to all the retake talk though ( I only got a 157 and am amazed I even made the waitlist) I'm wondering if I should ask UW to wait on making a final decision until I get the results.

kaydee

Postby kaydee » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:22 pm

People who have heard back: how long were you "in review" before a decision was rendered? I thought I was definitely an auto-reject but I've been in review for a surprisingly long time now (2/17)....

JaviSTB

Postby JaviSTB » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:28 pm

atay wrote:
MeowMix11 wrote:

I'm waiting it out too. Even if I get in I'm not sure I will go since I have decent scholarships from other (lower ranked) schools. I did give in to all the retake talk though ( I only got a 157 and am amazed I even made the waitlist) I'm wondering if I should ask UW to wait on making a final decision until I get the results.

Yeah, I'm gonna wait it out, however, I think it might depend on how much money I get from Seattle U. Yes, I know Udub is way better and all the risks, but I am retaking the test in June, see what happens

intlsplitr

Postby intlsplitr » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:29 pm

kaydee wrote:People who have heard back: how long were you "in review" before a decision was rendered? I thought I was definitely an auto-reject but I've been in review for a surprisingly long time now (2/17)....

I was 'in review' for about 5 weeks (In Review 1/7; decision 2/15). HTH

The Best Username

Postby The Best Username » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:29 pm

kaydee wrote:People who have heard back: how long were you "in review" before a decision was rendered? I thought I was definitely an auto-reject but I've been in review for a surprisingly long time now (2/17)....

I was in review for about six weeks.

JaviSTB

Postby JaviSTB » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:34 pm

Last edited by JaviSTB on Wed May 22, 2013 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GM544

Postby GM544 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:21 am

atay wrote:I'm waiting it out too. Even if I get in I'm not sure I will go since I have decent scholarships from other (lower ranked) schools. I did give in to all the retake talk though ( I only got a 157 and am amazed I even made the waitlist) I'm wondering if I should ask UW to wait on making a final decision until I get the results.

Glad to hear it! I'm pulling for you!

atay

Postby atay » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:15 pm

Glad to hear it! I'm pulling for you![/quote]

Thanks GM! I didn't submit a scholarship app. to Gonzaga so I hope you get that! Still trying to negotiate with another school. Ughh, things are getting complicated ;)

ALgooner

Postby ALgooner » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:43 pm

Just joined the FB group. Why are there only 8 members!?

fosterp

Postby fosterp » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:28 pm

ALgooner wrote:Just joined the FB group. Why are there only 8 members!?

I'm sure not a lot of people have made their finals choices yet. People usually don't know about the fb group until admissions sends out the link in one of their newsletters.

sinkhole

Postby sinkhole » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:45 pm

i applied last-minute and was in review for about 2 weeks. in review 2/19, admitted 3/7.

gonnaknow

Postby gonnaknow » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:49 pm

sinkhole wrote:

i applied last-minute and was in review for about 2 weeks. in review 2/19, admitted 3/7.

when did your status change? I was in review since 2/11 and still no word.

sinkhole

Postby sinkhole » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:52 pm

gonnaknow wrote:
sinkhole wrote:

5pm pdt today. wasn't really expecting the fast turn around.

gonnaknow

Postby gonnaknow » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:55 pm

sinkhole wrote:
gonnaknow wrote:
sinkhole wrote:

5pm pdt today. wasn't really expecting the fast turn around.

just checked mine, nothing. wish I'll hear something on Friday.

sinkhole

Postby sinkhole » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:07 pm

their twitter indicates they're finished entering decisions until monday, but hopefully you'll hear back next week!

onionskin

Postby onionskin » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:02 pm

I got WLed today.

Thing is I'm 100% set on working in the San Francisco Bay Area after graduation (PD or DA) so would UW's higher ranking still give me an advantage over lower ranked regional schools like USF, SCU or even in-state schools like say USD? Or heaven forbid I should get Davis (29 vs UW's 20)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”