University of Washington c/o 2016 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Lookingforanswers

New

University of Washington c/o 2016

Post by Lookingforanswers » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:46 pm

For anyone applying to the University of Washington, didn't see a forum, so I decided to create one!

Submitted my App on 10/18 and I'm ready for review.

turnercr

New

Re: University of Washington c/o 2016

Post by turnercr » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:54 pm

Ready for Review as of 10/9. Best of luck!

defdef

Bronze

Post by defdef » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:21 am

Applying but ive heard they are very splitter unfriendly so i dont like my chances much.

FortunaGubernans

Bronze

Post by FortunaGubernans » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:51 pm

Hey, friends. I'm in this boat, too. Checking in!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nickb285

Silver

Post by nickb285 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:19 pm

Last edited by nickb285 on Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nolabreeze

New

Post by nolabreeze » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:36 pm

checking in. I don't have very good numbers, but I want to get into the PNW area. I did the optional essay "What life events or experiences have had the greatest influence in shaping your character and why?"

dproduct

Gold

Post by dproduct » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:11 pm

I'm applying too. Good luck to everyone!

Lookingforanswers

New

Post by Lookingforanswers » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:35 pm

When do you think they will start reviewing apps? anyone in review yet?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

gate08

New

Post by gate08 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:58 pm

Lookingforanswers wrote:When do you think they will start reviewing apps? anyone in review yet?
I'm in review as of 10/31

jamesbrf

New

Post by jamesbrf » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:19 pm

gate08 wrote:I'm in review as of 10/31
Me too. I am not sure if this means they are actually reviewing our applications as we speak or if it just means that we have been assigned to a review committee that will start reviewing our apps in a few weeks. I am hoping it means the former. In either case good luck everyone!

BlazersTime

Bronze

Post by BlazersTime » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:38 pm

Complete! 3.65, 162. I love the northwest and hope I have a shot with my numbers

kingsfield69

Bronze

Post by kingsfield69 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:11 pm

Been complete since 10/31. Anxiously awaiting a decision....we want to settle down in Seattle and this is easily my #1 target school.

164/3.89 with very strong softs...but I'm an out-of-state guy.

I wrote the optional statement that asked about my ideal non-profit.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rhcp47

New

Post by rhcp47 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:27 am

defdef wrote:Applying but ive heard they are very splitter unfriendly so i dont like my chances much.
Another splitter checking in, it's worth a shot right? :)

dproduct

Gold

Post by dproduct » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:58 am

I applied today.

I'm actually really enticed about living/working in Seattle, I hope they don't WL me and think I"m just trolling for admissions.

We'll see. Good luck everyone!

Granfalloon12

Bronze

Post by Granfalloon12 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:46 pm

Is it true that they average your LSAT scores? Anyone know?

dproduct

Gold

Post by dproduct » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:58 pm

Granfalloon12 wrote:Is it true that they average your LSAT scores? Anyone know?
IMO, with the drop in test takers and all, I highly doubt they will use the average LSAT score for admissions.

Sure, maybe some who straight up got a 167 versus a 155-167 taker would get the edge in a tiebreaker... But I just can't believe they won't look at the highest since that is what they will be reporting for rankings.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Granfalloon12

Bronze

Post by Granfalloon12 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:02 pm

dproduct wrote:
IMO, with the drop in test takers and all, I highly doubt they will use the average LSAT score for admissions.

Sure, maybe some who straight up got a 167 versus a 155-167 taker would get the edge in a tiebreaker... But I just can't believe they won't look at the highest since that is what they will be reporting for rankings.
Yeah, I just noticed that somebody mentioned that they average them... my June score was 160 and my October a 168 so I was wondering if that would hurt me, but it looks like it won't be too big of a detriment if any at all.

kingsfield69

Bronze

Post by kingsfield69 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:59 pm

According to the school's Admissions FAQ:

"Multiple LSAT scores are averaged."

postard

Bronze

Post by postard » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:53 am

Checking in. 3.98, 168, did UW for undergrad.

WhiskeynCoke

Bronze

Post by WhiskeynCoke » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:37 am

What a blatant lie. DO NOT BELIEVE THIS! Admissions folks, especially in the range of schools that UW is in, cannot afford to "average" scores because only the highest score is reported to US News for rankings/medians calculations and their jobs depend on maintaining those medians/rankings (or improving them, if possible). The difficulty/stakes of this are raised even higher when applications plummet like they have been (3rd year in a row... research it).

Who do you think would do better?:

3.6/162 (one score) vs. 3.6/170/150 ( 2 scores = 160 average)

You better believe its the guy with the 170 but lower "average" (162 vs 160). The difference between the two applicants is that the applicant with the 170 helps UW's LSAT median/rank and the guy with the 162 hurts UW's LSAT median/rank.

UW cares a lot about their rank. It's all they've got with employment stats like these:
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=washington

"Top 20 law school in the country" and you've got a coin-flip's chance of landing ANY lawyer job.

They take your highest LSAT. So does everyone else despite what is "claimed."

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kingsfield69

Bronze

Post by kingsfield69 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:47 am

WhiskeynCoke wrote:

What a blatant lie. DO NOT BELIEVE THIS! Admissions folks, especially in the range of schools that UW is in, cannot afford to "average" scores because only the highest score is reported to US News for rankings/medians calculations and their jobs depend on maintaining those medians/rankings (or improving them, if possible). The difficulty/stakes of this are raised even higher when applications plummet like they have been (3rd year in a row... research it).

Who do you think would do better?:

3.6/162 (one score) vs. 3.6/170/150 ( 2 scores = 160 average)

You better believe its the guy with the 170 but lower "average" (162 vs 160). The difference between the two applicants is that the applicant with the 170 helps UW's LSAT median/rank and the guy with the 162 hurts UW's LSAT median/rank.

UW cares a lot about their rank. It's all they've got with employment stats like these:
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=washington

"Top 20 law school in the country" and you've got a coin-flip's chance of landing ANY lawyer job.

They take your highest LSAT. So does everyone else despite what is "claimed."
Your impassioned claim is noteworthy, but ultimately unsupported. While UW obviously "cares about" its ranking, it must also care about maintaining appropriate ethical standards in a process that gets scrutinized by dozens of internal and external stakeholders. Saying one thing and doing another would leave the school vulnerable to charges of unethical behavior, which would do much more harm to its reputation than occasionally accepting someone with lower LSAT average. You should take UW at its word that scores are averaged. Certainly, the higher of scores will be reported for the US News rankings.

UW is a regional school. It cares about producing lawyers for the Seattle/PNW market and maintaining its reputation of regional preeminence. This is a comparatively modest objective that does not require the tactics of those schools fighting to establish or maintain a national reputation.

WhiskeynCoke

Bronze

Post by WhiskeynCoke » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:01 pm

Saying one thing and doing another would leave the school vulnerable to charges of unethical behavior, which would do much more harm to its reputation than occasionally accepting someone with lower LSAT average.
I see what you're getting at, but you must consider this: law schools consider a "multitude of factors" in acceptance. What this enables them to do, is point at some "other" factor as the reason why someone was accepted while another was denied. It would be nearly impossible to prove that the school was not averaging LSAT scores, but taking the higher one, and that this would constitute a breach of ethics in any way. Every applicant has so many different aspects of their application that could be pointed at (resume, PS, GPA, LOR's, addendum, residency, URM, etc...), how could you possibly hope to "charge" the school with unethical behavior? Besides, it's an incredibly common practice among law schools since 2006 to claim to "average" while taking the higher score.
Your impassioned claim is noteworthy, but ultimately unsupported.
Years of LSN data support it, as well as TLS conventional wisdom. I think some research may be in order. There is no way they "average." You MAY be able to make the case that other scores are "considered," perhaps in the case of a tie-break if every single other aspect of 2 applications were identical, but this would obviously be a unlikely case. People are different.

To "average" is a very specific definition. The total sum of all scores is taken and divided by the number of scores (duh). Let me give you an example to illustrate why they can't possibly "average."

These two applicants are competing for the "last spot" in the class. Assume they have identical GPA's and similar softs.
Applicant A: LSAT scores (1): 162 (average = 162)
Applicant B: LSAT scores (3): 150, 152, 172 (average = 158)
you should take UW at its word that scores are averaged.
According to your argument, UW would always choose applicant A over applicant B, because of their "average" LSAT scores. UW would turn down the 172 for the 162 because they "average?" In order for you to stand by your suggestion to "take UW at its word" you must also be making the above assertion. History, evidence, conventional wisdom, and basic reason disagree with you.

http://washington.lawschoolnumbers.com/ ... order=desc

Those are highest scores, not averages. How many people with 170+ scores were rejected? I guarantee you that a lot of them had much lower averages than that.

Archangel

Bronze

Post by Archangel » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:08 pm

Last edited by Archangel on Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kingsfield69

Bronze

Post by kingsfield69 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:35 pm

WhiskeynCoke wrote:
you should take UW at its word that scores are averaged.
According to your argument, UW would always choose applicant A over applicant B, because of their "average" LSAT scores. UW would turn down the 172 for the 162 because they "average?" In order for you to stand by your suggestion to "take UW at its word" you must also be making the above assertion. History, evidence, conventional wisdom, and basic reason disagree with you.

http://washington.lawschoolnumbers.com/ ... order=desc

Those are highest scores, not averages. How many people with 170+ scores were rejected? I guarantee you that a lot of them had much lower averages than that.
Point taken. But let's keep in mind that the average improvement on a re-take for someone with a 163 LSAT is about 1.6 points. Very few individuals are going to make the 10-point improvement you're citing in the example above. Given the tiny numbers of those who do and the even smaller number who make such an improvement and apply to UW, the school's rankings are not going to be skewed by its practice of averaging. I'll admit I could be wrong...I would just hate for any applicant out there to assume the higher score will be used when the school is saying something different. I took the test one time and scored exactly at last year's UW median. With any luck, the school will start issuing decisions soon and we can compare actual outcomes rather than speculating.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”