University of Washington c/o 2016 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sublime

Diamond

Re: University of Washington c/o 2016

Post by sublime » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:57 pm

b123

Bronze

Post by b123 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:07 pm

b123 wrote:Has anyone attempted negotiations?

...bueller...bueller?

warrior23

New

Post by warrior23 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:12 pm

b123 wrote:
b123 wrote:Has anyone attempted negotiations?

...bueller...bueller?
Haven't yet. I haven't heard anything on negotiating with them so I was going to wait until after attending ASW to talk with them.

JaviSTB

Silver

Post by JaviSTB » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:14 pm

Had this been a new class or a new school, I would understand the complaining about the lack of scholarship money, however, that is not the case. You could (really should) have done your research on possible scholarship benefits that could be awarded to you. Looking at UW, you can see that they are not quick to front scholarship money. There are many reasons as such. They have changed their system from providing OOS students in state tuition. You could have read previous years of UW applicants and read how they faired. You're right, we are in a tough economy, therefore, you should have done your homework in applying to schools that would provide you the most aid, not just because of your numbers, but by looking at their history of offering aid. You can complain about UW and it's costs and stingyness, but no one is forcing you to go there. You have the ultimate tool of deciding where you go. Stop sounding entitled.

justathought21

New

Post by justathought21 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:32 pm

Maybe the world is not the fairest of places, but at least here on TLS, we can attempt to set the record straight and help each other:

http://opb.washington.edu/sites/default ... etMemo.pdf

Quoted from an earlier poster:

"Real employment numbers:
52% in full time, long term bar-required jobs
14.8% employed in law firms 100+ and federal clerkships

Yes, UW. Your numbers are "virtually identical to Berkeley.""

We need to look our for each other. that's all. peace 8)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

justathought21

New

Post by justathought21 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:41 pm

i was told that the original link would not open...so here is another attempt:

http://opb.washington.edu/sites/default ... etMemo.pdf

UselessKnowledge

New

Post by UselessKnowledge » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:47 pm

JaviSTB12 wrote:Had this been a new class or a new school, I would understand the complaining about the lack of scholarship money, however, that is not the case. You could (really should) have done your research on possible scholarship benefits that could be awarded to you. Looking at UW, you can see that they are not quick to front scholarship money. There are many reasons as such. They have changed their system from providing OOS students in state tuition. You could have read previous years of UW applicants and read how they faired. You're right, we are in a tough economy, therefore, you should have done your homework in applying to schools that would provide you the most aid, not just because of your numbers, but by looking at their history of offering aid. You can complain about UW and it's costs and stingyness, but no one is forcing you to go there. You have the ultimate tool of deciding where you go. Stop sounding entitled.
Thanks for seeing my point of view on this. If you don't like UW's practices, go somewhere else.

sunspot

New

Post by sunspot » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:08 pm

UselessKnowledge wrote:
JaviSTB12 wrote:Had this been a new class or a new school, I would understand the complaining about the lack of scholarship money, however, that is not the case. You could (really should) have done your research on possible scholarship benefits that could be awarded to you. Looking at UW, you can see that they are not quick to front scholarship money. There are many reasons as such. They have changed their system from providing OOS students in state tuition. You could have read previous years of UW applicants and read how they faired. You're right, we are in a tough economy, therefore, you should have done your homework in applying to schools that would provide you the most aid, not just because of your numbers, but by looking at their history of offering aid. You can complain about UW and it's costs and stingyness, but no one is forcing you to go there. You have the ultimate tool of deciding where you go. Stop sounding entitled.
Thanks for seeing my point of view on this. If you don't like UW's practices, go somewhere else.
Yeah, I don't really see that in the previous posts. There's a bunch of people who got no aid, they're bummed, and they're withdrawing or weighing their options. The historical consistency with which UW offers no aid to admits is a reason to lower your expectations, but no reason to fault UW for making some laughable comparisons about its affordability relative to other universities in its class. (Yes, it's slightly less expensive for OOS tuition relative to its aspirational peers, but it's really better for UW not to invite that comparison.)

I got no aid, and that's a bummer, but frankly that's about what I expected, and I have no objections. C'est la vie. What I object to is a school selling itself as a good deal in relative terms when, as in this case, it isn't. It feels like bad salesmanship, and it's kind of distasteful. More to the point, I can see a hundred sets of eyes rolling when they get to that sentence of the Dean's email--it's embarrassing, just delete it.

Not a knock on the quality of the school itself, which is great.

wannabelawstudent

Gold

Post by wannabelawstudent » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:26 am

Hey anyone mind giving me an explaination if what happened and why uselessknowledge is so upset that he decided to start 3 threads? Stay strong fellow law school with the words Washington and University in it.
Last edited by wannabelawstudent on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:39 am

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:41 am

UselessKnowledge

New

Post by UselessKnowledge » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:14 am

sunspot wrote:
UselessKnowledge wrote:
Yeah, I don't really see that in the previous posts. There's a bunch of people who got no aid, they're bummed, and they're withdrawing or weighing their options. The historical consistency with which UW offers no aid to admits is a reason to lower your expectations, but no reason to fault UW for making some laughable comparisons about its affordability relative to other universities in its class. (Yes, it's slightly less expensive for OOS tuition relative to its aspirational peers, but it's really better for UW not to invite that comparison.)

I got no aid, and that's a bummer, but frankly that's about what I expected, and I have no objections. C'est la vie. What I object to is a school selling itself as a good deal in relative terms when, as in this case, it isn't. It feels like bad salesmanship, and it's kind of distasteful. More to the point, I can see a hundred sets of eyes rolling when they get to that sentence of the Dean's email--it's embarrassing, just delete it.

Not a knock on the quality of the school itself, which is great.
I totally agree on this one. However, law school is all about false advertising and bad salesmanship, as you put it. I mean, we all get emails from unranked schools boasting about how they allow students the best opportunities in the nation.

UselessKnowledge

New

Post by UselessKnowledge » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:16 am

wannabelawstudent wrote:Hey anyone mind giving me an explaination if what happened and why uselessknowledge is so Pusey that he decided to start 3 threads? Stay strong fellow law school with the words Washington and University in it.
I don't understand your question, but if you care to explain I would gladly respond as to why I'm so "Pusey that I decided to start 3 threads." If I started any threads recently (which I don't think I did), it was out of being bad as using this forum.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:25 am

Redfactor

Bronze

Post by Redfactor » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:07 am

If someone doesn't mind, can PII be redacted and a copy of the email be posted? The language in dispute has piqued my interest.

wannabelawstudent

Gold

Post by wannabelawstudent » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:07 am

sublime12089 wrote:
UselessKnowledge wrote:
wannabelawstudent wrote:Hey anyone mind giving me an explaination if what happened and why uselessknowledge is so Pusey that he decided to start 3 threads? Stay strong fellow law school with the words Washington and University in it.
I don't understand your question, but if you care to explain I would gladly respond as to why I'm so "Pusey that I decided to start 3 threads." If I started any threads recently (which I don't think I did), it was out of being bad as using this forum.

I would guess that he meant Justathought21. See: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 7&t=206829
Whoops sorry yeah I meant justathought why is he so mad. Also my phone autocorrected to Pusey. I meant to say upset. My bad.
Last edited by wannabelawstudent on Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

b123

Bronze

Post by b123 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:27 pm

UselessKnowledge wrote:
Gary Pusey?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

simplycatalina

Silver

Post by simplycatalina » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:23 am

Is anyone going to the SF reception tonight??

Redfactor

Bronze

Post by Redfactor » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:35 pm

Has anyone heard anything about scholarships, good or bad, since last friday?

I figured today was the day I would hear my fate, but it's been crickets.

johnsbren

New

Post by johnsbren » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:35 am

Wednesday; same "sorry" email as the rest.

Redfactor

Bronze

Post by Redfactor » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:16 pm

johnsbren wrote:Wednesday; same "sorry" email as the rest.
Thank you for the info!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

GM544

New

Post by GM544 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:39 pm

So, just to make sure, the e-mail I got makes it sound like ASW runs from 9-6 on Friday 4/5 and then that's it. Is that correct?

eomea5

Bronze

Post by eomea5 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:57 am

GM544 wrote:So, just to make sure, the e-mail I got makes it sound like ASW runs from 9-6 on Friday 4/5 and then that's it. Is that correct?
yeah. that was my understanding. as an east coaster flying all the way out west for this, the last minute cancellation of events on 4/6 pissed me off as I had already booked my flights and hotels. spending an extra day roaming seattle isn't the worst use of that saturday, but it would have been nice to have known this quite some time ago as I could have made other plans or gone home earlier.

GM544

New

Post by GM544 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:37 am

eomea5 wrote:yeah. that was my understanding. as an east coaster flying all the way out west for this, the last minute cancellation of events on 4/6 pissed me off as I had already booked my flights and hotels. spending an extra day roaming seattle isn't the worst use of that saturday, but it would have been nice to have known this quite some time ago as I could have made other plans or gone home earlier.
Thanks for the confirmation. I live here and I'm still annoyed that I scheduled around that day. They could have at least sent out the info more than a week ahead. But oh well, if anyone wants suggestions for how to spend the extra time in Seattle, I'm happy to make recommendations.

Redfactor

Bronze

Post by Redfactor » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:33 am

GM544 wrote:
eomea5 wrote:yeah. that was my understanding. as an east coaster flying all the way out west for this, the last minute cancellation of events on 4/6 pissed me off as I had already booked my flights and hotels. spending an extra day roaming seattle isn't the worst use of that saturday, but it would have been nice to have known this quite some time ago as I could have made other plans or gone home earlier.
Thanks for the confirmation. I live here and I'm still annoyed that I scheduled around that day. They could have at least sent out the info more than a week ahead. But oh well, if anyone wants suggestions for how to spend the extra time in Seattle, I'm happy to make recommendations.
I have a question for you. I am starting to look for places to live near UW. I don't want to live in University District because... I am not in undergrad and don't really want to deal with that at 2AM.

I am trying to figure out some good areas to live. My fiancee and I are late 20's. I have heard suggestions about not wanting to cross bridges. So, stay in the north.

My question is, if I live south of UW and commute across the I-5 bridge or the Montlake bridge, would it really be that bad? I would be going against the flow of traffic each way, no?

I say this because we like the Capital Hill area but haven't spent enough time in Seattle proper to know traffic patterns that well.

Or do you have specific areas you'd recommend? We're trying to keep it under 1300 per month with a parking spot.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”