University of Wisconsin Madison c/o 2016 (2012-2013 Cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
willio
Posts: 63
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:17 am

Re: University of Wisconsin Madison c/o 2016 (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby willio » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:26 am

Hey Bucky,

You were way above the LSAT 75 percentile and just barely under the GPA median. Can I ask how you obtained your $36,000 award? Did they offer it to you without your asking or did you have to talk them into it? I'm just barely above the 75 percentile LSAT and sitting right on the GPA median and would like to know how you recommend going about leveraging money.Thanks!

User avatar
rouser
Posts: 233
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:23 am

Re: University of Wisconsin Madison c/o 2016 (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby rouser » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:58 am

in-state tuition will probably be around 23k for you guys. ours went from 19 to 21k from 0L to 1L. I can't imagine medians will change much. last year was pretty crazy because of the big drop in applicants. I'm not sure what the application volume looks like this year but if there's another big drop, the medians for you guys will probably go down some. For ED applicants, note that last year people got deferred/accepted in mid-December while official waitlists came in February. I was median/in-state and got accepted in late spring after being waitlisted. UW likes to waitlist people so don't get mad if you get waitlisted esp if you're instate.

User avatar
buckythebadger
Posts: 292
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:08 am

Re: University of Wisconsin Madison c/o 2016 (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby buckythebadger » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:31 pm

willio wrote:Hey Bucky,

You were way above the LSAT 75 percentile and just barely under the GPA median. Can I ask how you obtained your $36,000 award? Did they offer it to you without your asking or did you have to talk them into it? I'm just barely above the 75 percentile LSAT and sitting right on the GPA median and would like to know how you recommend going about leveraging money.Thanks!


I was admitted right before the holiday break in mid December. That is usually when they send out their first batch of decisions. If I remember correctly, they don't make any scholarship offers until February. I'm sure you will hear about scholly offers coming out on TLS, so I would wait til then to ask admissions. I was offered without asking for one. When and if you do get one, you can try to leverage money. I made one attempt and was able to squeeze out a little bit more money from them. If I could go back, I probably would have made a second attempt. They're not going to rescind your offer for attempting to get more money, so its definitely worth the shot.

User avatar
michaelm55
Posts: 235
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:52 pm

Re: University of Wisconsin Madison c/o 2016 (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby michaelm55 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:51 pm

Still "Complete" as of 10/10/12.

User avatar
willio
Posts: 63
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:17 am

Re: University of Wisconsin Madison c/o 2016 (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby willio » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:57 pm

Thanks for the info, Buck. How do you like UW so far? I visited earlier this month and liked what I saw.

I too am still complete as of 11/5. My guess is that apps are down and they must be waiting to start reviewing until they receive more.

User avatar
buckythebadger
Posts: 292
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:08 am

Re: University of Wisconsin Madison c/o 2016 (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby buckythebadger » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:18 pm

willio wrote:Thanks for the info, Buck. How do you like UW so far? I visited earlier this month and liked what I saw.

I too am still complete as of 11/5. My guess is that apps are down and they must be waiting to start reviewing until they receive more.


I'm hesitant to answer this question. I think when 0L's visit schools, they are looking at the wrong things. When I visited WUSTL, I immediately fell in love with the school because of how nice the buildings were. When in reality, this should play almost nothing into your consideration on where to attend. While the buildings quality can be a bonus, it should not be by any means dispositive. When your visiting, you should really try to get more of a feel for the city. Is Madison or other places in WI a place you can see yourself having a career? If not, then UW probably wouldn't be the school for you (as in the case with almost all schools outside the top 14). But that doesn't necessarily mean that you have to completely commit to a career in WI, you should just be OK with the fact that that there is a decent shot. I plan on targeting most of the bigger cities in the Midwest, but I'm also completely fine with staying in Madison.

With that said, I've enjoyed UW up to this point. Students are all very helpful of one another, the professors are great and approachable, and Madison is a fun city to live in. We will see how my opinion changes after grades come back.

User avatar
willio
Posts: 63
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:17 am

Re: University of Wisconsin Madison c/o 2016 (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby willio » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:46 pm

I'm from in-state and know Madison well. When I toured, I actually hated the law building. The main part is so industrial and confusing to navigate and the older parts seem dark and depressing. What sold me was the tour I went on with a 2L. The 2L had similar career goals as mine and was involved in a lot of activities that interest me. We talked for almost 2 hours. The relatively low in-state tuition is a real plus too.

In an ideal world, I would like to live and work in the Madison area but I understand that the Madison market is extremely flooded since everybody wants to stay there. I would also like working in the Twin Cities, which I where am for UG.

Speaking of grades, do you know how the curves is?

I realize that I've kind of turned this into a "IL taking questions" thread for the time being, but this thread was dead.

User avatar
buckythebadger
Posts: 292
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:08 am

Re: University of Wisconsin Madison c/o 2016 (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby buckythebadger » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:37 pm

willio wrote:I'm from in-state and know Madison well. When I toured, I actually hated the law building. The main part is so industrial and confusing to navigate and the older parts seem dark and depressing. What sold me was the tour I went on with a 2L. The 2L had similar career goals as mine and was involved in a lot of activities that interest me. We talked for almost 2 hours. The relatively low in-state tuition is a real plus too.

In an ideal world, I would like to live and work in the Madison area but I understand that the Madison market is extremely flooded since everybody wants to stay there. I would also like working in the Twin Cities, which I where am for UG.

Speaking of grades, do you know how the curves is?

I realize that I've kind of turned this into a "IL taking questions" thread for the time being, but this thread was dead.


I really can't speak on how flooded the Madison market is as I've yet to worry too much about finding a job. But there is decent amount of students that are looking to leave the state, so its not like Madison is the only target, or even the majority target.

I do know that some of the major firms from the Twin Cities come here for OCI. There is a really great thread in the Ask a Law Student Thread that was started by someone who works in a BigLaw firm there. I'd check that out if your interested in ending up there.

I think the curve is somewhere around a 3.17. The curve really doesn't matter though. It's just about where you rank in your class percentage wise.

User avatar
willio
Posts: 63
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:17 am

Re: University of Wisconsin Madison c/o 2016 (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby willio » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:13 pm

Received an email today asking me to fill out the FAFSA with UW-Madison listed on the form. They also gave me a NetID to monitor and complete the financial aid process. There has been no movement on my application since it went complete on 11/5. Why would UW have me go through all of this if they haven't even begun to look at my application? Is this normal?

Burne182
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue May 08, 2012 10:14 pm

Re: University of Wisconsin Madison c/o 2016 (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby Burne182 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:27 pm

willio wrote:Received an email today asking me to fill out the FAFSA with UW-Madison listed on the form. They also gave me a NetID to monitor and complete the financial aid process. There has been no movement on my application since it went complete on 11/5. Why would UW have me go through all of this if they haven't even begun to look at my application? Is this normal?


Yeah, it's standard for some schools I think. Last year I got that email and got a little excited… rejected a few weeks later.

This is absolutely not to say you have any reason to worry, just that it isn't indicative of anything.

User avatar
willio
Posts: 63
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:17 am

Re: University of Wisconsin Madison c/o 2016 (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby willio » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:52 pm

Burne182 wrote:
willio wrote:Received an email today asking me to fill out the FAFSA with UW-Madison listed on the form. They also gave me a NetID to monitor and complete the financial aid process. There has been no movement on my application since it went complete on 11/5. Why would UW have me go through all of this if they haven't even begun to look at my application? Is this normal?


Yeah, it's standard for some schools I think. Last year I got that email and got a little excited… rejected a few weeks later.

This is absolutely not to say you have any reason to worry, just that it isn't indicative of anything.


Thanks for the info!

User avatar
jrstephens1991
Posts: 110
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:58 pm

Re: University of Wisconsin Madison c/o 2016 (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby jrstephens1991 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:45 am

Still completed...

User avatar
gobuffs10
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:20 am

Re: University of Wisconsin Madison c/o 2016 (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby gobuffs10 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:32 pm

buckythebadger wrote:
patspats wrote:
Abisping wrote:
patspats wrote:From the people I know at UW and from what I have read on TLS, UW seems to be very stingy with their scholarships, especially to their in-state applicants.


Any idea on out of state?


I hear they give scholarships, but don't expect much unless you have high high numbers.


Even with high numbers, they are really tight with scholly money


Unlike this young man, I didn't get a scholly. But I know some people's numbers here, and some have very high LSATs and still got very little money.

I agree with the law building not being all that nice, but it's not a huge deal. Bucky is right, it should not be much of a consideration. From what I know it's generally true that Madison is a tough place to stay because it is nice here, but the city isn't big enough to support all of us. Going to Milwaukee can be tough because Marquette has a pretty solid grip on the city. Minneapolis is possible, but there aren't a ton of us there. For a big firm in Mini, you'd likely need to be top 15%, perhaps better. U of Minnesota fills the Twin Cities first. As far as Chicago goes, well, it's fairly out of the question.

Madison is a first-rate college town, but remember you won't be here to screw around. That isn't to say you can't have fun. I wish I'd spent more time out with friends at the beginning of the semester. Don't do what I did and skip every single Bar Review to study, because it gets you nothing at the end of the semester. People here have fun and work incredibly hard too.

Part of the problem with going to a school like UW is that there isn't a ton of money available, and we all have to work that much harder to find meaningful work. I'm still happy to be here, but try and get some money if you can, and if you do, negotiate. Bucky is right, they won't pull your offer for negotiating. I don't want to deter people from going to UW, because this is a wonderful place. But, given a second shot, I'd hesitate to pay sticker out-of-state, as I'm doing.

I hope you all hear back soon. Good luck. Keep asking questions if you have them. I don't know about Bucky, but I'll take the distraction from finals.
Last edited by gobuffs10 on Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
michaelm55
Posts: 235
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:52 pm

Re: University of Wisconsin Madison c/o 2016 (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby michaelm55 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:43 pm

I got the same "fill out your FAFSA and UW stuff" email.

User avatar
willio
Posts: 63
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:17 am

Re: University of Wisconsin Madison c/o 2016 (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby willio » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:49 pm

gobuffs10 wrote:Unlike this young man, I didn't get a scholly. But I know some people's numbers here, and some have very high LSATs and still got very little money.

I agree with the law building not being all that nice, but it's not a huge deal. Bucky is right, it should not be much of a consideration. From what I know it's generally true that Madison is a tough place to stay because it is nice here, but the city isn't big enough to support all of us. Going to Milwaukee can be tough because Marquette has a pretty solid grip on the city. Minneapolis is possible, but there aren't a ton of us there. For a big firm in Mini, you'd likely need to be top 15%, perhaps better. U of Minnesota fills the Twin Cities first. As far as Chicago goes, well, it's fairly out of the question.

Madison is a first-rate college town, but remember you won't be here to screw around. That isn't to say you can't have fun. I wish I'd spent more time out with friends at the beginning of the semester. Don't do what I did and skip every single Bar Review to study, because it gets you nothing at the end of the semester. People here have fun and work incredibly hard too.

Part of the problem with going to a school like UW is that there isn't a ton of money available, and we all have to work that much harder to find meaningful work. I'm still happy to be here, but try and get some money if you can, and if you do, negotiate. Bucky is right, they won't pull your offer for negotiating. I don't want to deter people from going to UW, because this is a wonderful place. But, given a second shot, I'd hesitate to pay sticker out-of-state, as I'm doing.

I hope you all hear back soon. Good luck. Keep asking questions if you have them. I don't know about Bucky, but I'll take the distraction from finals.


Thanks for your insight, what year are you?

So if Madison, Milwaukee, Chicago and the Twin Cities are all tough to get into, where does everybody go? Rhinelander?!

Did you try to negotiate a scholarship? As an in-stater, I'd be happy even with 5k per year in money.

How has the law school has been affected by Walker's budget cuts?

ks2499
Posts: 323
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:40 am

Re: University of Wisconsin Madison c/o 2016 (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby ks2499 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:15 pm

Did anyone else get that FA email?

I didn't read closely enough at first and thought it was an admission since it included a net ID! No such luck, unfortunately: "Please note that this information is being sent to you for financial aid purposes only and is not an admissions decision."

User avatar
buckythebadger
Posts: 292
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:08 am

Re: University of Wisconsin Madison c/o 2016 (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby buckythebadger » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:25 pm

willio wrote:
gobuffs10 wrote:Unlike this young man, I didn't get a scholly. But I know some people's numbers here, and some have very high LSATs and still got very little money.

I agree with the law building not being all that nice, but it's not a huge deal. Bucky is right, it should not be much of a consideration. From what I know it's generally true that Madison is a tough place to stay because it is nice here, but the city isn't big enough to support all of us. Going to Milwaukee can be tough because Marquette has a pretty solid grip on the city. Minneapolis is possible, but there aren't a ton of us there. For a big firm in Mini, you'd likely need to be top 15%, perhaps better. U of Minnesota fills the Twin Cities first. As far as Chicago goes, well, it's fairly out of the question.

Madison is a first-rate college town, but remember you won't be here to screw around. That isn't to say you can't have fun. I wish I'd spent more time out with friends at the beginning of the semester. Don't do what I did and skip every single Bar Review to study, because it gets you nothing at the end of the semester. People here have fun and work incredibly hard too.

Part of the problem with going to a school like UW is that there isn't a ton of money available, and we all have to work that much harder to find meaningful work. I'm still happy to be here, but try and get some money if you can, and if you do, negotiate. Bucky is right, they won't pull your offer for negotiating. I don't want to deter people from going to UW, because this is a wonderful place. But, given a second shot, I'd hesitate to pay sticker out-of-state, as I'm doing.

I hope you all hear back soon. Good luck. Keep asking questions if you have them. I don't know about Bucky, but I'll take the distraction from finals.


Thanks for your insight, what year are you?

So if Madison, Milwaukee, Chicago and the Twin Cities are all tough to get into, where does everybody go? Rhinelander?!

Did you try to negotiate a scholarship? As an in-stater, I'd be happy even with 5k per year in money.

How has the law school has been affected by Walker's budget cuts?


Your forgetting the fact that just about every major market is difficult to get into, its not only limited to the target areas around WI
Last edited by buckythebadger on Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
gobuffs10
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:20 am

Re: University of Wisconsin Madison c/o 2016 (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby gobuffs10 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:40 pm

I'm just a lowly 1L, so I know little more than any of you, but I guess a little bit is better than nothing.

Bucky is right. To be honest, I don't know where the hell everyone goes. A lot of it is a combination of good grades and luck. I know last year some 1Ls even got paying summer jobs in firms, which is rare anywhere. At the same time, I know 2Ls in the top 15% doing clinics again instead of paid work, and a lot of 3Ls still looking.

I don't want to give anyone the impression that cracking those markets is impossible (well, Chicago may as well be). Anything is possible, but it's hard to bank on anything. If you have ties to the region, that's a big plus. A lot of us don't; a lot of my class came from California, Colorado, New York, Florida, to name a few. We're all going to be doing public defense in some tiny district court somewhere in Wisconsin.

User avatar
nyjets2090
Posts: 134
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:38 pm

Re: University of Wisconsin Madison c/o 2016 (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby nyjets2090 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:14 pm

Checking in.

User avatar
annet
Posts: 218
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:19 pm

Re: University of Wisconsin Madison c/o 2016 (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby annet » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:08 am

Regular decision applicant. Zero movement on ye olde status checker. Driving me bonkers.

User avatar
ariadne328
Posts: 140
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:38 pm

Re: University of Wisconsin Madison c/o 2016 (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby ariadne328 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:14 am

annet wrote:Regular decision applicant. Zero movement on ye olde status checker. Driving me bonkers.

Same here. I need to look back and see when people started hearing last year.

ks2499
Posts: 323
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:40 am

Re: University of Wisconsin Madison c/o 2016 (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby ks2499 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:20 am

ariadne328 wrote:
annet wrote:Regular decision applicant. Zero movement on ye olde status checker. Driving me bonkers.

Same here. I need to look back and see when people started hearing last year.


Also still stuck at complete. They had already started releasing decisions by this time last year.

Edit: First RD decision came out 12/14, so I guess we're not too far behind at this point.

User avatar
ariadne328
Posts: 140
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:38 pm

Re: University of Wisconsin Madison c/o 2016 (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby ariadne328 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:52 am

ks2499 wrote:
ariadne328 wrote:Same here. I need to look back and see when people started hearing last year.


Also still stuck at complete. They had already started releasing decisions by this time last year.

Edit: First RD decision came out 12/14, so I guess we're not too far behind at this point.

Hopefully some of us will hear something before the holidays! I'm not expecting to be in the first round of RD admits, but I will feel better just knowing something is moving. :)
Last edited by ariadne328 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
willio
Posts: 63
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:17 am

Re: University of Wisconsin Madison c/o 2016 (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby willio » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:53 am

ks2499 wrote:
ariadne328 wrote:
annet wrote:Regular decision applicant. Zero movement on ye olde status checker. Driving me bonkers.

Same here. I need to look back and see when people started hearing last year.


Also still stuck at complete. They had already started releasing decisions by this time last year.

Edit: First RD decision came out 12/14, so I guess we're not too far behind at this point.


True but everybody is still stuck at complete. They haven't even begun to look at RD applications. Very frustrating. What are they doing, sitting around twiddling their thumbs?

Randomnumbers
Posts: 356
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:26 pm

Re: University of Wisconsin Madison c/o 2016 (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby Randomnumbers » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:19 pm

Remembering last year, Wisconsin was very slow. I applied in late november, I got my acceptance March 1st, and they gave my 170+ lsat no schollie dollars (in state). Some people heard back relatively quickly from Wisconsin, but for most of us last cycle they were incredibly slow. Wisconsin gives it hardly any money ('specially to in-staters), and seems to only give schollies to people above their LSAT 75th and at or above GPA median, mostly 36 or 45k total. The only big schollies I remember them giving were to URM's.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Finickywalrus, hellohalo, jstans, Photomike2, Tomthecat, Why???, XUMickeal and 14 guests