RESCINDING AN EARLY DECISION ACCEPTANCE: HELP?! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sonnyblues

New

RESCINDING AN EARLY DECISION ACCEPTANCE: HELP?!

Post by sonnyblues » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:31 am

True story:

In the Spring I was admitted early decision for Fall 2012 to a Top 14 Law School (for obvious reasons I am going to withhold the name of the actual school, though I will say it is one of the schools in the lower half of the T14).

After accepting the early decision offer, I later deferred my admission for Fall 2013.

After giving things some thought (and coming to terms with the reality that I will not be able to afford to attend that institution with the financial package they offered me), I am now interested in applying to other schools this cycle.

Question 1: If I move forward with applying to other schools this cycle, what is the likelihood that they will know that I have deferred admission elsewhere?

Question 2: Are there precedents for dilemmas like this? Is there any way for me to get out of this?

Question: Is it possible for me to simply contact the school that I deferred at tell them that I would like to relinquish my seat, thus effectively releasing me from the binding agreement?

Please reserve your judgmental/mean-spirited responses.

nygrrrl

Gold

Re: RESCINDING AN EARLY DECISION ACCEPTANCE: HELP?!

Post by nygrrrl » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:14 am

No duplicate threads, please.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”