George Washington c/o 2016

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
FKASunny

Re: George Washington c/o 2016

Postby FKASunny » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:23 pm

TheNextAmendment wrote:
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) wrote:
TheNextAmendment wrote:@dolphine: you were waitlisted at GW but you have a FULL RIDE to a HIGHER ranked school? Am I the only one confused? The only possibility would be UMN and full rides were at 166 lsat with solid gpa...and those people got into GW no problem I thought.

Think of another Washington.

"including full rides from higher ranked schools"- so he got a full ride to WUSTL and UMN and got waitlisted at GW? lol...Im calling flame.

I know her personally and she's not a flame. And I was also accepted at WUSTL pretty early in the cycle and waitlisted ---> admit at GW. GW's not nearly as splitter friendly as WUSTL.

bananasplit19

Postby bananasplit19 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:36 pm

+1. I got the full ride at WUSTL and UMN, got $0 in merit aid from GWU.

Dream Weave

Postby Dream Weave » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:46 pm

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) wrote:
TheNextAmendment wrote:
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) wrote:
TheNextAmendment wrote:@dolphine: you were waitlisted at GW but you have a FULL RIDE to a HIGHER ranked school? Am I the only one confused? The only possibility would be UMN and full rides were at 166 lsat with solid gpa...and those people got into GW no problem I thought.

Think of another Washington.

"including full rides from higher ranked schools"- so he got a full ride to WUSTL and UMN and got waitlisted at GW? lol...Im calling flame.

I know her personally and she's not a flame. And I was also accepted at WUSTL pretty early in the cycle and waitlisted ---> admit at GW. GW's not nearly as splitter friendly as WUSTL.

It's not a flame at all. You are following the rankings way too closely. Minnesota and WUSTL are located in far less desirable places to live for people who are based on the Coasts. Most of the country's wealth and highly educated population are located on the West and East Coast. If a finance guy or business exec has a daughter who is choosing between WUSTl and GW with a 60k vs. 145 scholly, he would rather have his daughter go to GW the majority of the time. If you go to the Midwest, you prob won't be coming back or at least that is thinking by the majority of the people in the northeast. I understand WUSTL is the smart decision, but most ppl in the Northeast would disagree. GW not only knows this, but relies on it.

When I talked about my options between GW v. WUSTL or Minnesota, almost everytime the response was "Minnesota? Missouri? Why would you ever want to go there?" Terrible, but true.

Also I'm a 166 with a solid GPA and I was waitlisted at GW and accepted to WUSTL with a 95k scholarship in less than a week. So no flame here.

fLaw School Bound

Postby fLaw School Bound » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:54 pm

I've got to imagine WUSTL is simply desperate to keep their slight edge in the ranking and be considered a Top 20 school. Saw one guy with a 2.5 GPA and 167 LSAT get a full ride offer. I don't mean to disparage the people going there (by all means take the scholly and run), but I have to wonder how WUSTL is going to keep funding they're program if they have to give full rides to anyone even approaching their medians.

TheNextAmendment

Postby TheNextAmendment » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:40 pm

Dream Weave wrote:Also I'm a 166 with a solid GPA and I was waitlisted at GW and accepted to WUSTL with a 95k scholarship in less than a week. So no flame here.

Yes but you were GW-accepted a while ago and weren't a June WL>Accept. There's a big difference. Either way I stand corrected. I seriously had no idea that WUSTL AND UMN were so generous with their schollies. I know how GW relies on its location to get its medians at a good price and all, but I'm shocked that someone who could have a FULL RIDE to WUSTL and UMN would be waitlisted by GW into the end of June...that's mind-numbing. Will someone with WUSTL knowledge enlighten me about their numbers this year? What LSAT/GPA range got that full ride?

BitterSplitter

Postby BitterSplitter » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:04 am

TheNextAmendment wrote:
Dream Weave wrote:Also I'm a 166 with a solid GPA and I was waitlisted at GW and accepted to WUSTL with a 95k scholarship in less than a week. So no flame here.

Yes but you were GW-accepted a while ago and weren't a June WL>Accept. There's a big difference. Either way I stand corrected. I seriously had no idea that WUSTL AND UMN were so generous with their schollies. I know how GW relies on its location to get its medians at a good price and all, but I'm shocked that someone who could have a FULL RIDE to WUSTL and UMN would be waitlisted by GW into the end of June...that's mind-numbing. Will someone with WUSTL knowledge enlighten me about their numbers this year? What LSAT/GPA range got that full ride?

166+ fer sure. no clue if any gpa cut off merited the full scholly

Dolphine

Postby Dolphine » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:58 am

Yo TheNextAmendment, would it blow your mind to know I was waitlisted at a school ranked in the 50's and 3 in the 40's? I also got rejected from a school ranked below WUSTL and GW. Crazy stuff eh?

altoid99

Postby altoid99 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:29 am

To those who received scholarship offers from UMN, WUSTL, etc. but nothing from GW...how responsive was GW when/if you leveraged those offers for more money from GW? Others who've negotiated for more money from GW this cycle can also chime in.

gatorgirl2012

Postby gatorgirl2012 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:30 am

Dolphine wrote:Yo TheNextAmendment, would it blow your mind to know I was waitlisted at a school ranked in the 50's and 3 in the 40's? I also got rejected from a school ranked below WUSTL and GW. Crazy stuff eh?

^Classic yield percentage. Honestly, questioning your legitimacy is senseless. Anyone that's been through this process should understand how subjective admissions can be and nothing is ever assured. Dolphine, like I said a few posts a go, be grateful you have great options! All the power to ya 8)

fLaw School Bound

Postby fLaw School Bound » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:46 am

gatorgirl2012 wrote:
Dolphine wrote:Yo TheNextAmendment, would it blow your mind to know I was waitlisted at a school ranked in the 50's and 3 in the 40's? I also got rejected from a school ranked below WUSTL and GW. Crazy stuff eh?

^Classic yield percentage. Honestly, questioning your legitimacy is senseless. Anyone that's been through this process should understand how subjective admissions can be and nothing is ever assured. Dolphine, like I said a few posts a go, be grateful you have great options! All the power to ya 8)

Seriously. I got a moderate scholarship from GW yet waitlisted by American. The fact that the LSAC calculator only gave me an 8& chance of getting into GW and an 80% chance at American means little. Each admissions department has their own criteria.

I didn't apply to WUSTL or Minn but I would have been tempted by those big money offers they're handing out. Still I can't think of any law schools outside of maybe the top 6 that I would really prefer over GW (yes including GULC). Just seems a good fit.

Dream Weave

Postby Dream Weave » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:00 am

fLaw School Bound wrote:
gatorgirl2012 wrote:

Seriously. I got a moderate scholarship from GW yet waitlisted by American. The fact that the LSAC calculator only gave me an 8& chance of getting into GW and an 80% chance at American means little. Each admissions department has their own criteria.

I didn't apply to WUSTL or Minn but I would have been tempted by those big money offers they're handing out. Still I can't think of any law schools outside of maybe the top 6 that I would really prefer over GW (yes including GULC). Just seems a good fit.

Almost everyone accepted to GW or Georgetown was waitlisted by American. It was automatic with a 166 of above (yield protection).

Themanp

Postby Themanp » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:10 pm

fLaw School Bound wrote:
gatorgirl2012 wrote:

"Seriously. I got a moderate scholarship from GW yet waitlisted by American. The fact that the LSAC calculator only gave me an 8& chance of getting into GW and an 80% chance at American means little. Each admissions department has their own criteria."

LOL guys... you did not get waitlisted by American because you failed their "criteria". American knew they didn't have a chance in hell of actually landing you. They were simply protecting their yield. I mean, I guess criteria could include 'actually has a fucking chance of wanting to end up here'. They were your safety school bro AND they knew it!

TheNextAmendment

Postby TheNextAmendment » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:12 pm

YP. Plus that's not too uncommon because USNWR doesn't necessarily mean a lower ranked school will take higher numbers... Plus getting WL or rejected is different then getting a full ride and WL from peers. Still amazes me.

RedGiant

Postby RedGiant » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:40 pm

altoid99 wrote:To those who received scholarship offers from UMN, WUSTL, etc. but nothing from GW...how responsive was GW when/if you leveraged those offers for more money from GW? Others who've negotiated for more money from GW this cycle can also chime in.

My scholly situation was not UMN or WUSTL, but Admissions have been largely unresponsive and I have to let them know if I would like to attend by July 8, so GW is looking unlikely. Let me free up a huge pot of nothing for all you other WLers! :lol:

Seriously, I hope you get in...but GW's 3 year cost at sticker is staggering. I will speak to them on Monday--they closed at 2pm ET today, which was a little early for a working girl who had to you know, work, on the West Coast. I am doubtful they'll match this late in the cycle.

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:25 am

from what I understand they should send a WL update today no? they clamied that we will get one by 7/5 but it seems odd that the office is not closed for the weekend of the 4th :roll:

FKASunny

Postby FKASunny » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:25 am

JayJones78 wrote:from what I understand they should send a WL update today no? they clamied that we will get one by 7/5 but it seems odd that the office is not closed for the weekend of the 4th :roll:

Why are you worrying about an email that will probably consist of this:

Dear Jayjones

Thank you for your continued interest in GWU. We made a few offers from the wait list over the past few weeks. However, at this time, we are not able to extend more offers. We anticipate that there may be more movement in the weeks to come.

We understand that this process is difficult, and we appreciate your continued patience. Please let us know if you have made plans for the fall and would no longer wish to be considered for future admissions.

Thank you, and enjoy your 4th of July weekend!

Sincerely,

Someone you'll never meet

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:02 am

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:from what I understand they should send a WL update today no? they clamied that we will get one by 7/5 but it seems odd that the office is not closed for the weekend of the 4th :roll:

Dear Jayjones

Thank you for your continued interest in GWU. We made a few offers from the wait list over the past few weeks. However, at this time, we are not able to extend more offers. We anticipate that there may be more movement in the weeks to come.

We understand that this process is difficult, and we appreciate your continued patience. Please let us know if you have made plans for the fall and would no longer wish to be considered for future admissions.

Sincerely,

Sad :(
But prob true :oops:

ookoshi

Postby ookoshi » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:06 pm

For reasons I'd rather not discuss openly, my only law school option is the least expensive part-time program available to me, which is sadly not GW. I withdrew, meaning there's at least 1 spot open for someone out there.

km0828

Postby km0828 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:41 am

JayJones78 wrote:
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) wrote:

Dear Jayjones

Sincerely,

So true... I guess we shall wait a couple of hours and see.....

JuniperCreekEsq

Postby JuniperCreekEsq » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:55 pm

GW has about 5 minutes to accept my love, right?

km0828

Postby km0828 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:59 pm

km0828 wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) wrote:

Dear Jayjones

Sincerely,

Or not...

eomea5

Postby eomea5 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:03 pm

km0828 wrote:
km0828 wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) wrote:from what I understand they should send a WL update today no? they clamied that we will get one by 7/5 but it seems odd that the office is not closed for the weekend of the 4th :roll:

Dear Jayjones

Sincerely,

I think an update on 7/8 would be more appropriate as that was the deadline for the recent WL admits. i will be withdrawing so there should be another spot opening up.

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:18 am

Should we expect to hear from them today? When was the last deposit deadline for those offered a seat?

gatorgirl2012

Postby gatorgirl2012 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:29 am

JayJones78 wrote:Should we expect to hear from them today? When was the last deposit deadline for those offered a seat?

Another week in the life of a desperate waitlisted applicant. I think the deadline is today. I'm hoping for more movement this week, or rather, I'm perpetually waiting for movement, haha.

eomea5

Postby eomea5 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:49 am

officially withdrew today. seat and 39K back in the pot - Hope one of you gets it.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”