George Washington c/o 2016

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Pepper91

Re: George Washington c/o 2016

Postby Pepper91 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:13 pm

Hey, I received a "good" message, sent a LOCI, and just received an acceptance email. It didn't include anything about scholarships though. Did anybody get one that mentions a scholarship? Or do we have to log in to the admitted students page (mine isn't working).

Themanp

Postby Themanp » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:20 pm

Yeah I got the same question as pepper..if anyone knows how to access scholarship info (if any) please tell. Thanks!

eomea5

Postby eomea5 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:38 pm

got the acceptance as well - can't find any info on merit aid though. going to give them a call tomorrow.

JuniperCreekEsq

Postby JuniperCreekEsq » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:41 pm

Pepper, themanp, eomea: did you each receive notification of your acceptance today?

Themanp

Postby Themanp » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:50 pm

Esq- yes we did.

Eomea5- please let us know if you find anything out.

gatorgirl2012

Postby gatorgirl2012 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:53 pm

Congrats to all of you who were accepted today!! How long did they give you to reply? And how likely are you to accept? I'm happy for you really, but I'm still hoping I get an acceptance :(

hookemhorns008

Postby hookemhorns008 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:00 pm

gatorgirl2012 wrote:Congrats to all of you who were accepted today!! How long did they give you to reply? And how likely are you to accept? I'm happy for you really, but I'm still hoping I get an acceptance :(

Seat deposit is due the 8th. I will almost certainly be attending, but I'd be willing to bet some spots will still open up. Hang in there.

Dream Weave

Postby Dream Weave » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:20 pm

Anyone think there is a risk of GW's LSAT median dropping to a 165? It seemed like they had a 166 locked up, but based off recent acceptances that are submedian GPA and LSAT- I'm not so sure... Wonder if the 166ers could go for more money

fLaw School Bound

Postby fLaw School Bound » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:11 pm

hookemhorns008 wrote:
gatorgirl2012 wrote:Congrats to all of you who were accepted today!! How long did they give you to reply? And how likely are you to accept? I'm happy for you really, but I'm still hoping I get an acceptance :(

Seat deposit is due the 8th. I will almost certainly be attending, but I'd be willing to bet some spots will still open up. Hang in there.

Hook'em are you in Austin? I've been living in Texas for the last couple of years, hadn't seen anyone living from the area in the GW forums.

RedGiant

Postby RedGiant » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:19 pm

In today as well. No info on scholly (or lack thereof). Deadline for deposit is 7/8. Hope that helps all the waiters! Thanks.

gatorgirl2012

Postby gatorgirl2012 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:24 pm

RedGiant wrote:In today as well. No info on scholly (or lack thereof). Deadline for deposit is 7/8. Hope that helps all the waiters! Thanks.

Again congratulations to all those that were accepted! And thank you for your continued support. Getting a little more depressed, but there's still a glimmer of hope :oops:

JuniperCreekEsq

Postby JuniperCreekEsq » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:34 pm

RedGiant wrote:In today as well. No info on scholly (or lack thereof). Deadline for deposit is 7/8. Hope that helps all the waiters! Thanks.

In an email from this week they said, "...we will send you another update by July 5."

They'd be wise to promise the update after, not before the recent admits' deadline. #meh

Themanp

Postby Themanp » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:37 pm

There is definitely still hope! I would say after July 8 there will be some more movement! (Maybe before if there is a swift turnaround from these waitlist offers) I for one will be making my determination from the financial offer I get from GW.. If its not in the same ballpark as my already accepted offer from a T20-25 then I'll likely stay put! I really hope it works out for all of you!

RedGiant

Postby RedGiant » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:27 pm

Themanp wrote:There is definitely still hope! I would say after July 8 there will be some more movement! (Maybe before if there is a swift turnaround from these waitlist offers) I for one will be making my determination from the financial offer I get from GW.. If its not in the same ballpark as my already accepted offer from a T20-25 then I'll likely stay put! I really hope it works out for all of you!

This is my situation as well. GW will have to come through with substantial money to make COA even close...it's a delta of 35K+/year for me. So there's a very real possiblity of additional movement. Chin up WL'ers! If it can happen for me, it can happen for anyone!

FacePalm

Postby FacePalm » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:13 am

In today too. I have $$$ at a top 40 school in my area. I am taking this news seriously.

I'm certain that this has been discussed ad nauseum somewhere, but I thought I would start here:

I'm looking at LST's graph and the numbers all add up to 99%ish. So, where are the 20% of students that are employed for $15/hr through the school in the Pathways to Practice Program??? My first thought was that they are mostly spread out in the gov/public interest. Then I looked at the same graph for Georgetown, and now I have no idea. They certainly do not fit in the business, short term or academic. My real concern is that they have found away to slide them into the 501+ club.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Given my current options, this would be my only statistically significant shot at "biglaw." So, it is a consideration once I see their financial aid package.

doyouevenlift

Postby doyouevenlift » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:37 am

anybody else get that email this morning saying we needed to fill out that financial aid request form for our award to be made? Im guessing that this is for both need and merit based aid? or can we find the merit based aid somewhere else? it seems like every other school awarded merit based aid right on the spot, so im wondering if im missing something.

Pepper91

Postby Pepper91 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:40 am

doyouevenlift wrote:anybody else get that email this morning saying we needed to fill out that financial aid request form for our award to be made? Im guessing that this is for both need and merit based aid? or can we find the merit based aid somewhere else? it seems like every other school awarded merit based aid right on the spot, so im wondering if im missing something.

I think the email was just referring to financial aid information. I still have no clue about any merit aid though.

Dream Weave

Postby Dream Weave » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:44 am

doyouevenlift wrote:anybody else get that email this morning saying we needed to fill out that financial aid request form for our award to be made? Im guessing that this is for both need and merit based aid? or can we find the merit based aid somewhere else? it seems like every other school awarded merit based aid right on the spot, so im wondering if im missing something.

GW actually does need-based scholarships/grants. The form would need to be filled out in order to qualify for this. I believe it maxes out at 15k a year though. I didn't fill out this form, but I did receive a merit award. I didn't think I would be able to qualify for need-based because of my parents and my age. GW was really stingy with money compared to WUSTL, Emory ect. They just don't have the endowment that these other schools have.

Edit: GW actually didn't offer me anything back when I was accepted of the waitlist in Feb and my numbers were prob at both of their new medians: 166/3.6X. I sent them far larger awards from Minnesota, Emory, WUSTL and they gave me an offer that covers over just one year of tuition so I'm interested to see how you guys fair. Good luck!

fLaw School Bound

Postby fLaw School Bound » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:09 pm

Dream Weave wrote:

GW actually does need-based scholarships/grants. The form would need to be filled out in order to qualify for this. I believe it maxes out at 15k a year though. I didn't fill out this form, but I did receive a merit award. I didn't think I would be able to qualify for need-based because of my parents and my age. GW was really stingy with money compared to WUSTL, Emory ect. They just don't have the endowment that these other schools have.

Edit: GW actually didn't offer me anything back when I was accepted of the waitlist in Feb and my numbers were prob at both of their new medians: 166/3.6X. I sent them far larger awards from Minnesota, Emory, WUSTL and they gave me an offer that covers over just one year of tuition so I'm interested to see how you guys fair. Good luck!

To give you all an idea of what level of destitution is required for a need-based grant, I'm 33 and made $12,500 last year working full time, and received only $13,000 of the possible $16,000. Not complaining about a $13,000 grant mind you, in fact I'm very thankful, just surprised that I didn't qualify for the maximum grant.

fLaw School Bound

Postby fLaw School Bound » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:35 pm

FacePalm wrote:In today too. I have $$$ at a top 40 school in my area. I am taking this news seriously.

I'm certain that this has been discussed ad nauseum somewhere, but I thought I would start here:

I'm looking at LST's graph and the numbers all add up to 99%ish. So, where are the 20% of students that are employed for $15/hr through the school in the Pathways to Practice Program??? My first thought was that they are mostly spread out in the gov/public interest. Then I looked at the same graph for Georgetown, and now I have no idea. They certainly do not fit in the business, short term or academic. My real concern is that they have found away to slide them into the 501+ club.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Given my current options, this would be my only statistically significant shot at "biglaw." So, it is a consideration once I see their financial aid package.

I doubt that many of these positions are listed in the 501+ stat. From my understanding, this program is to support unpaid internships, mainly at small firms, non-profits and in some public service areas. Big Law, again this is only from what I've seen researching these issues, tends to stay away from these kind of programs because a)the chance of them eventually hiring a grad that couldn't even find paid work at a small practice is virtually nil, and b) Big Law is all about creating an atmosphere of prestige, and having to rely on this program to provide attorneys to your firm (attorney's from the bottom 1/3rd of their class at that), is hardly prestigious.

BitterSplitter

Postby BitterSplitter » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:15 pm

Dream Weave wrote:Anyone think there is a risk of GW's LSAT median dropping to a 165? It seemed like they had a 166 locked up, but based off recent acceptances that are submedian GPA and LSAT- I'm not so sure... Wonder if the 166ers could go for more money

I hope that's its more of a "we admitted too many 166 splitters that accepted and now we have room on the median to accept sum full or close-to-full freight payers" situation than a 165 median. Although the former would mean having more students in the class than they were projecting

Dream Weave

Postby Dream Weave » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:25 pm

I hope your right. It would be devastating to have a 2 point LSAT drop in one cycle for the admissions team. The only thing that worries me is that the old dean was ousted for such things as: trying to raise the prestige of the school by lowering class size in order to protect the medians and maybe even increase them. From what I understand, a lot of faculty and staff did not like this due to the consequential loss of revenue and ousted him. He actually seemed like someone who wanted what was best for the school as oppose to being money hungry. Should any of us have to care that the guy in the copy room is going to be layed off because less students are signing up for the quarter of a million dollars in debt?

fLaw School Bound

Postby fLaw School Bound » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:58 pm

I could for see a possible drop in rankings by GW next year. This has less to do with anything in regards to the actual quality of the school, just that other schools have gotten desperate and are wiling to pay big to keep their means up. There's reports of WUSTL offering near full rides to some folks they wouldn't even have admitted last year. We're talking guys with GPA's under 3.0 and LSATs below last year's median. On top of that it seems Northwestern and even the University of Virgina are accepting some sub 3.0 GPAs (nor URM one's that!) and siphoning off students that would have otherwise attended GW.

With peer schools throwing money at applicants and shrinking class sizes, I can see GW falling as low as 25 nest year... but then again. Will that drop really mean anything when it comes to quality of education and prestige of the university in the eyes of firms? Are firms going to open the USNWR rankings and say, "well GW fell two spots, we won't be hiring any students from there anymore."

I kind of doubt it.

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:31 am

fLaw School Bound wrote:I could for see a possible drop in rankings by GW next year. This has less to do with anything in regards to the actual quality of the school, just that other schools have gotten desperate and are wiling to pay big to keep their means up. There's reports of WUSTL offering near full rides to some folks they wouldn't even have admitted last year. We're talking guys with GPA's under 3.0 and LSATs below last year's median. On top of that it seems Northwestern and even the University of Virgina are accepting some sub 3.0 GPAs (nor URM one's that!) and siphoning off students that would have otherwise attended GW.

With peer schools throwing money at applicants and shrinking class sizes, I can see GW falling as low as 25 nest year... but then again. Will that drop really mean anything when it comes to quality of education and prestige of the university in the eyes of firms? Are firms going to open the USNWR rankings and say, "well GW fell two spots, we won't be hiring any students from there anymore."

I kind of doubt it.

I truly think that your last statement has so much merit both in regards to GW and in a general sense regarding hiring process and the rankings. I think that as 0Ls we are so consumed by the rankings, a two or even three spot drop and a median change of 1 or 2 points that we forget that the hiring partners (from every non 0L and non TLSer) that I spoke with are either not concerned with this or even pay no attention to it. a change like that will either go unnoticed or plainly ignored. Just my honest opinion. We discuss and dissect the rankings so much that we (sometime) don't put in the bigger prism

JuniperCreekEsq

Postby JuniperCreekEsq » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:54 am

JayJones78 wrote:
fLaw School Bound wrote:I could for see a possible drop in rankings by GW next year. This has less to do with anything in regards to the actual quality of the school, just that other schools have gotten desperate and are wiling to pay big to keep their means up. There's reports of WUSTL offering near full rides to some folks they wouldn't even have admitted last year. We're talking guys with GPA's under 3.0 and LSATs below last year's median. On top of that it seems Northwestern and even the University of Virgina are accepting some sub 3.0 GPAs (nor URM one's that!) and siphoning off students that would have otherwise attended GW.

I kind of doubt it.

I truly think that your last statement has so much merit both in regards to GW and in a general sense regarding hiring process and the rankings. I think that as 0Ls we are so consumed by the rankings, a two or even three spot drop and a median change of 1 or 2 points that we forget that the hiring partners (from every non 0L and non TLSer) that I spoke with are either not concerned with this or even pay no attention to it. a change like that will either go unnoticed or plainly ignored. Just my honest opinion. We discuss and dissect the rankings so much that we (sometime) don't put in the bigger prism

You said, "Prism." Lol. So DC ryt now

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”