George Washington c/o 2016

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
kckool7
Posts: 139
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:32 pm

Re: George Washington c/o 2016

Postby kckool7 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:38 pm

doppelganger wrote:Never responded to email asking if those on the WL are still interested because after all of this time I started to have cold feet about moving to DC. Ironically, I've become considerably more interested in certain academic aspects of GWU. Now I'm afraid to write anything at all so late because it will be seen as feigning interest. :|

That's a dumb reason. Nothing to lose.

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: George Washington c/o 2016

Postby DoveBodyWash » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:46 pm

kckool7 wrote:
doppelganger wrote:Never responded to email asking if those on the WL are still interested because after all of this time I started to have cold feet about moving to DC. Ironically, I've become considerably more interested in certain academic aspects of GWU. Now I'm afraid to write anything at all so late because it will be seen as feigning interest. :|

That's a dumb reason. Nothing to lose.

+1

In the spirit of morning-after pills everywhere, better late than never :D

assheawaits
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:56 am

Re: George Washington c/o 2016

Postby assheawaits » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:03 pm

Sadreversesplitter,

I received the e-mail on the 16th of April. Why do you ask?

User avatar
BitterSplitter
Posts: 244
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:17 am

Re: George Washington c/o 2016

Postby BitterSplitter » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:17 pm

.
Last edited by BitterSplitter on Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

sadreversesplitter
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:04 pm

Re: George Washington c/o 2016

Postby sadreversesplitter » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:08 pm

assheawaits wrote:Sadreversesplitter,

I received the e-mail on the 16th of April. Why do you ask?


I think a few pages back there were some theories that those that received the April 16th email were under higher consideration? I think chances are still good either way.

In previous years' threads, there seems to be movement all summer.

User avatar
gatorgirl2012
Posts: 273
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:57 am

Re: George Washington c/o 2016

Postby gatorgirl2012 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:32 pm

That's a little reassuring, though I shudder about potentially attending any school at sticker price, let alone one in DC. I'm so disheartened. I really want to attend this school.

squid2211
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:53 pm

Re: George Washington c/o 2016

Postby squid2211 » Wed May 01, 2013 9:50 am

BitterSplitter wrote:
squid2211 wrote:Current GW 1L. Accepted 4/28 last year off the WL. Ended up with 22k/year after negotiating. Talked with Sophia Sim (not sure if she is still there) and went from 0 initially to 16k then 22k. My deposit deadline was extended multiple times while negotiating - I didn't deposit until the end of May.


Did you call or email Sophia Sim?

Email

sadreversesplitter
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:04 pm

Re: George Washington c/o 2016

Postby sadreversesplitter » Wed May 01, 2013 10:23 am

squid2211 wrote:
BitterSplitter wrote:
squid2211 wrote:Current GW 1L. Accepted 4/28 last year off the WL. Ended up with 22k/year after negotiating. Talked with Sophia Sim (not sure if she is still there) and went from 0 initially to 16k then 22k. My deposit deadline was extended multiple times while negotiating - I didn't deposit until the end of May.


Did you call or email Sophia Sim?

Email


Thanks again for your help!

fLaw School Bound
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:29 pm

Re: George Washington c/o 2016

Postby fLaw School Bound » Wed May 01, 2013 11:35 am

Well, guess it's official. I withdrew from my last non-GW school. I'll be seeing you all, or at least a lot of you, this fall!

User avatar
BitterSplitter
Posts: 244
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:17 am

Re: George Washington c/o 2016

Postby BitterSplitter » Wed May 01, 2013 3:29 pm

.
Last edited by BitterSplitter on Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

sadreversesplitter
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:04 pm

Re: George Washington c/o 2016

Postby sadreversesplitter » Wed May 01, 2013 3:58 pm

BitterSplitter wrote:
squid2211 wrote:
BitterSplitter wrote:
squid2211 wrote:Current GW 1L. Accepted 4/28 last year off the WL. Ended up with 22k/year after negotiating. Talked with Sophia Sim (not sure if she is still there) and went from 0 initially to 16k then 22k. My deposit deadline was extended multiple times while negotiating - I didn't deposit until the end of May.


Did you call or email Sophia Sim?

Email


Cool thanks!


Okay, so. I was just in touch with the school about this. I know my situation is a bit unorthodox as a am a reverse splitter who got in due to high gpa and the strongest softs, but I was told there have already overextended themselves with merit scholarships. Has any other WLers had a different experience?

User avatar
TheMostDangerousLG
Posts: 1547
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:25 am

Re: George Washington c/o 2016

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Wed May 01, 2013 4:11 pm

Was already in, but got a crazy ass package with my acceptance letter today. Is that really it: a letter and a single small viewbook? That card box thing is a LOT of presentation for a single letter.

User avatar
BitterSplitter
Posts: 244
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:17 am

Re: George Washington c/o 2016

Postby BitterSplitter » Wed May 01, 2013 4:13 pm

.
Last edited by BitterSplitter on Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

fLaw School Bound
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:29 pm

Re: George Washington c/o 2016

Postby fLaw School Bound » Wed May 01, 2013 4:26 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:Was already in, but got a crazy ass package with my acceptance letter today. Is that really it: a letter and a single small viewbook? That card box thing is a LOT of presentation for a single letter.


Lol, yep, that's it! I guess they figure if you're going to invest 150k in an education you deserve a bit of panache : )

User avatar
enidwexler
Posts: 159
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:05 pm

Re: George Washington c/o 2016

Postby enidwexler » Wed May 01, 2013 4:41 pm

This might be a really stupid question, but how do you ask for a scholarship increase/reconsideration?

sadreversesplitter
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:04 pm

Re: George Washington c/o 2016

Postby sadreversesplitter » Wed May 01, 2013 4:55 pm

No issue at all! I work FT in the area, and through my application and subsequent contact, they know I need an area school to retain my position. So, I did not have much to work with as an offer from WCL doesn't hold much bargaining weight, and still no word on WL at GULC.

Sort of disheartening.

kckool7
Posts: 139
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:32 pm

Re: George Washington c/o 2016

Postby kckool7 » Wed May 01, 2013 4:57 pm

enidwexler wrote:This might be a really stupid question, but how do you ask for a scholarship increase/reconsideration?

Just send an email expressing your desire to attend, mention the importance of finances, and politely ask if its possible for your merit aid package to be reconsidered. Send it to whoever sent you the merit package in the first place.

User avatar
BitterSplitter
Posts: 244
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:17 am

Re: George Washington c/o 2016

Postby BitterSplitter » Wed May 01, 2013 6:21 pm

.
Last edited by BitterSplitter on Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

sadreversesplitter
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:04 pm

Re: George Washington c/o 2016

Postby sadreversesplitter » Wed May 01, 2013 6:33 pm

BitterSplitter wrote:
sadreversesplitter wrote:No issue at all! I work FT in the area, and through my application and subsequent contact, they know I need an area school to retain my position. So, I did not have much to work with as an offer from WCL doesn't hold much bargaining weight, and still no word on WL at GULC.

Sort of disheartening.

What's funny is a wk ago disheartening would have been a deny and admission with no scholly would have only been discomforting.


too true my friend!

Nat Sherman
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: George Washington c/o 2016

Postby Nat Sherman » Thu May 02, 2013 6:59 am

Does anyone have any success negotiating for scholarships without any comparable scholarships or acceptances? I received a generous by normal standards, pathetic by gw COA, in scholarships. I was surprised to get even a gw acceptance and have nothing to leverage with. Unfortunately any need base aid is out the window.

TheNextAmendment
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:44 pm

Re: George Washington c/o 2016

Postby TheNextAmendment » Thu May 02, 2013 8:57 am

Melo723 wrote:Does anyone know what the chances of us receiving the same financial aid package every year is? It scares me that it isn't guaranteed..


Very interested in this as well. Can any current GW 2L or 3L chime in?

fLaw School Bound
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:29 pm

Re: George Washington c/o 2016

Postby fLaw School Bound » Thu May 02, 2013 10:19 am

TheNextAmendment wrote:
Melo723 wrote:Does anyone know what the chances of us receiving the same financial aid package every year is? It scares me that it isn't guaranteed..


They've removed the GPA requirement for renewal of merit scholarships so as long as you're in "good academic standing" it's renewed. The grant I haven't gotten any clarity on, but it seems like if the grant pool doesn't diminish significantly and your financial situation doesn't change, then it should be renewed.

saxattack17
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:48 pm

Re: George Washington c/o 2016

Postby saxattack17 » Thu May 02, 2013 1:33 pm

I applied to GW a couple of days before the March 1st deadline, and went complete a few days later. I have not had any movement on my application, other than the "Application Complete" date being changed a couple of times. Anyone else in the same boat? I'm trying (and I mean really trying) not to get too impatient, but I would like to avoid making a substantial number of initial seat deposits at other schools without my decision from GW.

sadreversesplitter
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:04 pm

Re: George Washington c/o 2016

Postby sadreversesplitter » Thu May 02, 2013 1:51 pm

saxattack17 wrote:I applied to GW a couple of days before the March 1st deadline, and went complete a few days later. I have not had any movement on my application, other than the "Application Complete" date being changed a couple of times. Anyone else in the same boat? I'm trying (and I mean really trying) not to get too impatient, but I would like to avoid making a substantial number of initial seat deposits at other schools without my decision from GW.


I was sort of in the same boat. Applied a week before the deadline. Found out I was waitlisted by 3/19, and am just in off the WL. My guess is, they probably liked your application enough not to automatically WL you. What are your #s?

The dean of admissions is pretty awesome, and very responsive. Others can correct me, but in my view, there is no harm in taking your concern over the lack of movement to her and asking when you might have a decision.

saxattack17
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:48 pm

Re: George Washington c/o 2016

Postby saxattack17 » Thu May 02, 2013 2:14 pm

sadreversesplitter wrote:
saxattack17 wrote:I applied to GW a couple of days before the March 1st deadline, and went complete a few days later. I have not had any movement on my application, other than the "Application Complete" date being changed a couple of times. Anyone else in the same boat? I'm trying (and I mean really trying) not to get too impatient, but I would like to avoid making a substantial number of initial seat deposits at other schools without my decision from GW.


I was sort of in the same boat. Applied a week before the deadline. Found out I was waitlisted by 3/19, and am just in off the WL. My guess is, they probably liked your application enough not to automatically WL you. What are your #s?

The dean of admissions is pretty awesome, and very responsive. Others can correct me, but in my view, there is no harm in taking your concern over the lack of movement to her and asking when you might have a decision.


I'm a newbie on here, but I already like the posts that I've seen you make :)

I've certainly mulled over contacting Dean Sim, but I'm just not quite sure how to go about it diplomatically. My numbers are not incredibly strong (160/3.65) but I have some unique softs (took time off from school to work for the Obama campaign, musical awards, campus leadership, etc.)




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Anon.y.mousse., cyclawps, JazzyMac, lsa16, potatocowpower, ramp_999 and 14 guests