George Washington c/o 2016

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Dream Weave

Re: George Washington c/o 2016

Postby Dream Weave » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:24 pm

10.5 hours until my deposit deadline extension expires and I still haven't heard back on the scholarship reconsideration- hoping I hear before they close at 5.

sadreversesplitter

Postby sadreversesplitter » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:35 pm

Dream Weave wrote:10.5 hours until my deposit deadline extension expires and I still haven't heard back on the scholarship reconsideration- hoping I hear before they close at 5.

Why don't you drop Dean Sim an email or call?

Dream Weave

Postby Dream Weave » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:38 pm

I called last Friday and they didn't seem alarmed. I'm not sure who I spoke to though I know the Dean is quite helpful . They told me to wait it out until Monday so that's what I'm doing. If I don't hear by 4:30 I guess I'll call and see if I can wait to deposit for a couple more days.

Dream Weave

Postby Dream Weave » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:19 pm

Dean Sim is my girl! Just got the new award! I'm going to GW

Melo723

Postby Melo723 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:22 pm

Dream Weave wrote:Dean Sim is my girl! Just got the new award! I'm going to GW

I'm waiting/hope for an increase as well. How much did you get?

fLaw School Bound

Postby fLaw School Bound » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:23 pm

Congrats!!

LSLovely173

Postby LSLovely173 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:03 pm

+1. Haha, congratz. I agree though, the Financial Aid Office has been pretty great. And I don't just mean just Dean Sim. My assigned Fin Aid Advisor has been awesome as well. I sound like I'm doing a shameless plug for GW :lol:

enidwexler

Postby enidwexler » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:35 pm

Thoughts on negotiating/asking for a scholly reconsideration after making the first seat deposit?

Dream Weave

Postby Dream Weave » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:36 pm

enidwexler wrote:Thoughts on negotiating/asking for a scholly reconsideration after making the first seat deposit?

Do you have a prior award/ have you cross deposited at schools with scholarships?

enidwexler

Postby enidwexler » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:10 pm

Dream Weave wrote:
enidwexler wrote:Thoughts on negotiating/asking for a scholly reconsideration after making the first seat deposit?

Do you have a prior award/ have you cross deposited at schools with scholarships?

Got $15k in need-based. Haven't deposited anywhere else. My other scholarships are at schools that are not comparable (UC Hastings & Loyola LA), so don't know if I have any leverage...

abc987

Postby abc987 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:15 pm

enidwexler wrote:
Dream Weave wrote:

Got $15k in need-based. Haven't deposited anywhere else. My other scholarships are at schools that are not comparable (UC Hastings & Loyola LA), so don't know if I have any leverage...

I think there is no harm in asking. Even if you don't have a comparable scholarship to leverage, all applicants have at least the risk that they will wait a year and apply elsewhere in another cycle.

As is often repeated: "The worst they can say is no."

abc987

Postby abc987 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:19 pm

Didn't hear back on scholarship reconsideration today and I gave the office a call late afternoon. Turns out they didn't have records of the (two) messages I'd sent requesting consideration. I re-sent my information along with the prior emails, and an admissions representative confirmed that the messages came through successfully this time.

The representative noted that they planned on getting back to most people today, so if you've been waiting on a reply, didn't hear back today, and don't hear back in the next couple of days, it might be worth giving them a call to confirm that your request is under review. I don't mean to send them a rush of calls, but I do want others to know there was an email receipt issue in at least my one situation.

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:23 pm

Wondering what's taking so long with my application.. still no decision. =\

saxattack17

Postby saxattack17 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:01 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:Wondering what's taking so long with my application.. still no decision. =\

Same here. Latest update is still "Application Complete" on 4/15/2013. I wonder what's going on as well.

BitterSplitter

Postby BitterSplitter » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:26 pm

Last edited by BitterSplitter on Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dream Weave

Postby Dream Weave » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:32 pm

enidwexler wrote:
Dream Weave wrote:

You're a reverse splitter so your not as hot as a splitter, but I know someone with identical numbers from a prestigious school who received 10k a year merit. The only thing hurting you is you are late to the game.

I used huge money from washu and Minnesota in my negotiation and they didn't really come close to matching the offers though put a nice dent in it for my numbers in comparison to their medians. But I dont think the offers are necessary, GW can't seem to be the best offer anyway in competition.

saxattack17

Postby saxattack17 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:44 pm

BitterSplitter wrote:
saxattack17 wrote:
TheMostDangerousLG wrote:Wondering what's taking so long with my application.. still no decision. =\

Same here. Latest update is still "Application Complete" on 4/15/2013. I wonder what's going on as well.

What are your guys stats if you don't mind me asking?

Admittedly, GW is not somewhere that I expect to gain admission to, given my stats.

Semi-reverse splitter (160/3.7) with strong softs (worked for the Obama campaign, multiple musical awards, etc.)

At this point, it has more to do with the fact that I would ideally like to receive word from all of my schools before I start putting down multiple seat deposits. I guess now we just play the sit-and-wait!

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:10 pm

BitterSplitter wrote:
saxattack17 wrote:

Below median GPA, LSAT greater than 75th percentile (so.. splitter?).

Dream Weave

Postby Dream Weave » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:20 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:
BitterSplitter wrote:
saxattack17 wrote:

Below median GPA, LSAT greater than 75th percentile (so.. splitter?).

You should def get in. GW is completely numbers oriented so they should care less about that GPA- reverse splitters are easy to find. Odd that they haven't accepted you already. When did you apply?

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:23 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3Wa5X8Tdto

I'm suddenly really regretting not applying to GW this cycle. They always bring their A-game to Law Revue

enidwexler

Postby enidwexler » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:46 pm

abc987 wrote:I think there is no harm in asking. Even if you don't have a comparable scholarship to leverage, all applicants have at least the risk that they will wait a year and apply elsewhere in another cycle.

Dream Weave wrote:You're a reverse splitter so your not as hot as a splitter, but I know someone with identical numbers from a prestigious school who received 10k a year merit. The only thing hurting you is you are late to the game.

I used huge money from washu and Minnesota in my negotiation and they didn't really come close to matching the offers though put a nice dent in it for my numbers in comparison to their medians. But I dont think the offers are necessary, GW can't seem to be the best offer anyway in competition.

Thanks! I think I'll ask and see what they say.

In the meantime, I received an extension on my first seat deposit until midnight tonight. Was in correspondence today with Financial Aid about setting up a payment schedule for my deposits. (I'm really strapped for cash right now.) It's 8:45 PM, and they haven't gotten back to me... so if I don't deposit tonight, does that mean I forfeit my spot? :?

fLaw School Bound

Postby fLaw School Bound » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:00 pm

enidwexler wrote:
abc987 wrote:I think there is no harm in asking. Even if you don't have a comparable scholarship to leverage, all applicants have at least the risk that they will wait a year and apply elsewhere in another cycle.

Dream Weave wrote:You're a reverse splitter so your not as hot as a splitter, but I know someone with identical numbers from a prestigious school who received 10k a year merit. The only thing hurting you is you are late to the game.

Thanks! I think I'll ask and see what they say.

In the meantime, I received an extension on my first seat deposit until midnight tonight. Was in correspondence today with Financial Aid about setting up a payment schedule for my deposits. (I'm really strapped for cash right now.) It's 8:45 PM, and they haven't gotten back to me... so if I don't deposit tonight, does that mean I forfeit my spot? :?

Unfortunately, I believe so.

duncanmn95

Postby duncanmn95 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:04 pm

cusenation wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3Wa5X8Tdto

I'm suddenly really regretting not applying to GW this cycle. They always bring their A-game to Law Revue

This' amazing. This may've pushed me over the edge to attend...

BTW, uhhhh like what should I say in an email and who should I email to ask for more $????? I don't have any other offers...is that bad?

InBetweenDays

Postby InBetweenDays » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:55 am

Anyone seen WL movement?

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:10 am

InBetweenDays wrote:Anyone seen WL movement?

none here :|

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”