George Washington c/o 2016

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
DoveBodyWash

Re: George Washington c/o 2016

Postby DoveBodyWash » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:25 pm

WDH wrote:
BitterSplitter wrote:
wannabelawstudent wrote:Taking a year off was the best decision I've ever made.

totalgleek

Postby totalgleek » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:31 pm

TheThriller wrote:Scholly bumped after trying to withdraw, now I have to think.

thriller,
how do you pull off that subtle art without them calling your bluff?

TheThriller

Postby TheThriller » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:35 pm

totalgleek wrote:
TheThriller wrote:Scholly bumped after trying to withdraw, now I have to think.

thriller,
how do you pull off that subtle art without them calling your bluff?

:lol: It wasn't a bluff haha, they weren't giving me enough money and I told them this when I told them I was withdrawing.

Unfortunately, even given a substantial increase in my scholarship, I don't think I can attend when a few peer schools are offering more...

sadreversesplitter

Postby sadreversesplitter » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:49 pm

BitterSplitter wrote:
sadreversesplitter wrote:
BitterSplitter wrote:
sadreversesplitter wrote:Well, my LOCI is in. Fingers crossed.

Gluck! Did u email or snail mail?

I emailed it. They told me it was placed in my file roughly five minutes after I sent it in.

They said they "noted my declaration of continued interest" but I attached my LOCI To the email asking to reply and let them know if you're still interested. Did they use the same language with you?

I emailed directly to Dean Sim, and she responded cc'ing the waitlist listserv. She said it was good to hear from me again, and that she would pass my update letter along.

yupyup

Postby yupyup » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:59 am

cusenation wrote:
WDH wrote:
BitterSplitter wrote:
wannabelawstudent wrote:Taking a year off was the best decision I've ever made.

It's been almost 4 years since I graduated. Worked for a couple non-profits. Taught English abroad and did the whole traveling and staying in hostels thing. Would do it all over again in a heartbeat.

yupyup

Postby yupyup » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:04 am

TheNextAmendment wrote:
yupyup wrote:
BitterSplitter wrote:
yupyup wrote:In via email today!!! :D

Congrats numbers twin! Did u get in off the WL? N did u submit any LOCI?

Thanks! :) No, I was never on the waitlist. I just heard back today. Late applicant in early Feb. And I hadn't submitted an LOCI yet. Got rejected from Georgetown about two weeks ago, so it's nice to get into the only other DC school I applied to.

Congrats! Just out of curiosity- what deposit deadline did they give you? If not public, PM me.

Thanks! Deposit deadline's May 3. $500.

Dream Weave

Postby Dream Weave » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:41 am

So I was given a deposit extension until monday for my scholarship reconsideration. I haven't heard back yet though about their decision on the scholly. Thoughts on calling later this afternoon if I don't hear back or should I wait until Monday?

If I am in fact not getting a scholarship I'd like to know as I would probably be withdrawing, but I'd like to have more than a few hours to make the decision!

boris78

Postby boris78 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:49 am

BitterSplitter wrote:
sadreversesplitter wrote:
BitterSplitter wrote:
sadreversesplitter wrote:Well, my LOCI is in. Fingers crossed.

Gluck! Did u email or snail mail?

I emailed it. They told me it was placed in my file roughly five minutes after I sent it in.

They said they "noted my declaration of continued interest" but I attached my LOCI To the email asking to reply and let them know if you're still interested. Did they use the same language with you?

I'm on the WL but I didn't get the waitlist email. But, I had sent in a LOCI a few weeks back and my LSAT<median....

hoogs23

Postby hoogs23 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:39 pm

how long after being accepted did people here about money and how

nba101790

Postby nba101790 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:40 pm

hoogs23 wrote:how long after being accepted did people here about money and how

Lol.

Dream Weave

Postby Dream Weave » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:47 pm

^ agreed. Is anyone else waiting for an updated offer?

lawsch16

Postby lawsch16 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:54 pm

Yup. Got denied an increase between 04/01 and 04/15 but asked to be put in a "reconsideration pile" for after that, which they said they would do. Still waiting for news.
Dream Weave wrote:^ agreed. Is anyone else waiting for an updated offer?

TheNextAmendment

Postby TheNextAmendment » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:57 pm

Dream Weave wrote:So I was given a deposit extension until monday for my scholarship reconsideration. I haven't heard back yet though about their decision on the scholly. Thoughts on calling later this afternoon if I don't hear back or should I wait until Monday?

If I am in fact not getting a scholarship I'd like to know as I would probably be withdrawing, but I'd like to have more than a few hours to make the decision!

Wait so they gave you a deposit extension for your scholarship reconsideration but still haven't given you that reconsideration #? I would call Monday for sure. "Uhh hey yeah I have until today to decide, so umm whats the new # guys?".
Email Sophia Sim directly- she was incredibly helpful with my whole process.

Dream Weave

Postby Dream Weave » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:07 pm

TheNextAmendment wrote:
Dream Weave wrote:So I was given a deposit extension until monday for my scholarship reconsideration. I haven't heard back yet though about their decision on the scholly. Thoughts on calling later this afternoon if I don't hear back or should I wait until Monday?

Wait so they gave you a deposit extension for your scholarship reconsideration but still haven't given you that reconsideration #? I would call Monday for sure. "Uhh hey yeah I have until today to decide, so umm whats the new # guys?".

Yeah this exactly. Too much to call now before the close?

Dream Weave

Postby Dream Weave » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:19 pm

Dream Weave wrote:
TheNextAmendment wrote:

Just called and said I wouldn't hear until Monday. It's frusturating when ppl with worse numbers are receiving scholarships and I was clearly committed to GW in my app. I don't know where I stand now. Schools like Wustl keep giving me more and more money while GW couldn't care less. At least contact me and let me know if there is no scholly coming my way.

totalgleek

Postby totalgleek » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:58 pm

Dream Weave wrote:
Dream Weave wrote:
TheNextAmendment wrote:

Just called and said I wouldn't hear until Monday. It's frusturating when ppl with worse numbers are receiving scholarships and I was clearly committed to GW in my app. I don't know where I stand now. Schools like Wustl keep giving me more and more money while GW couldn't care less. At least contact me and let me know if there is no scholly coming my way.

I actually am kind of confused why WUSTL (arguably a better school even) keeps giving out more and more money to its applicants and GW doesn't even attempt to match it.
And DC is obviously the more expensive city
Does GW as a law school just not have a lot of money to give out? Or do they play their scholarship awards differently than other schools?
[ I'm assuming the typical school would say: "wow we might lose 1/3 of our class to a peer school who's offered them tons of money. lets convince them to stay!" ]

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:10 pm

totalgleek wrote:I actually am kind of confused why WUSTL (arguably a better school even) keeps giving out more and more money to its applicants and GW doesn't even attempt to match it.
Does GW as a law school just not have a lot of money to give out? Or do they play their scholarship awards differently than other schools?
[ I'm assuming the typical school would say: "wow we might lose 1/3 of our class to a peer school who's offered them tons of money. lets convince them to stay!" ]

Well GW in general isn't as wealthy as WUSTL. It's a bigger school in a more expensive area, so they have higher overhead costs. But the school is also a little bit more immune to defections. You'll see this a lot with schools in major, desirable metros. Like USC, UCLA, GW, BU/BC...those schools can sort of rely on their respective cities to retain a solid number of applicants. Kids who are deadset on D.C. or want to practice there will likely bite the bullet and pay the higher price for GW if they don't have viable offers from GULC or American or something.

Also since they have one of the biggest class sizes in the country, each individual applicant's impact on the median is diminished compared to smaller schools like WUSTL. A defection from two or three 167's out of a 200-person class at WUSTL will have a much bigger impact than on a 400-person class at GW. So they can afford to bleed more applicants

abc987

Postby abc987 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:29 pm

I could really use some advice on my decision about GW vs other options.

Thread in the decisions section: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=208385&p=6687897

TheNextAmendment

Postby TheNextAmendment » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:19 pm

cusenation wrote:
totalgleek wrote:I actually am kind of confused why WUSTL (arguably a better school even) keeps giving out more and more money to its applicants and GW doesn't even attempt to match it.

Well GW in general isn't as wealthy as WUSTL. It's a bigger school in a more expensive area, so they have higher overhead costs. But the school is also a little bit more immune to defections. You'll see this a lot with schools in major, desirable metros. Like USC, UCLA, GW, BU/BC...those schools can sort of rely on their respective cities to retain a solid number of applicants. Kids who are deadset on D.C. or want to practice there will likely bite the bullet and pay the higher price for GW if they don't have viable offers from GULC or American or something.

Also since they have one of the biggest class sizes in the country, each individual applicant's impact on the median is diminished compared to smaller schools like WUSTL. A defection from two or three 167's out of a 200-person class at WUSTL will have a much bigger impact than on a 400-person class at GW. So they can afford to bleed more applicants

Interesting point. Where do you dig this stuff up?

enidwexler

Postby enidwexler » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:00 pm

Does anyone know if GW offers economic hardship-based waivers/discounts on the seat deposits?

TheThriller

Postby TheThriller » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:16 pm

Withdrawing again today, this time freeing up more money. Who knows maybe they'll throw me more if they're really desperate for my 167

BitterSplitter

Postby BitterSplitter » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:15 pm

Last edited by BitterSplitter on Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fLaw School Bound

Postby fLaw School Bound » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:47 pm

enidwexler wrote:Does anyone know if GW offers economic hardship-based waivers/discounts on the seat deposits?

I don't believe so, I was offered near the maximum grant and had no offer of a reduced deposit.

LSLovely173

Postby LSLovely173 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:02 am

fLaw School Bound wrote:
enidwexler wrote:Does anyone know if GW offers economic hardship-based waivers/discounts on the seat deposits?

I don't believe so, I was offered near the maximum grant and had no offer of a reduced deposit.

Enidwexler, it can't hurt to ask. I'm sure they understand that two hefty seat deposits in two consecutive months is asking a lot for many. Explain your financial situation and see what happens.

Also, what is the maximum grant amount?

fLaw School Bound

Postby fLaw School Bound » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:14 am

LSLovely173 wrote:
fLaw School Bound wrote:

Enidwexler, it can't hurt to ask. I'm sure they understand that two hefty seat deposits in two consecutive months is asking a lot for many. Explain your financial situation and see what happens.

Also, what is the maximum grant amount?

$16,000 according to the student portal. However, I made about $12,500 last year working full time and am over 30, and I was only awarded $13,000, so to qualify for the full amount you have to be pretty darn destitute.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”