George Washington c/o 2016

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
simplycatalina

Re: George Washington c/o 2016

Postby simplycatalina » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:04 am

Just got my scholarship award, looks more and more like GW is where I'll end up!

fLaw School Bound

Postby fLaw School Bound » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:14 am

cbarlow1016 wrote:Just got my scholarship award, looks more and more like GW is where I'll end up!

Congrats, Caitlin!

Inconceivable!

Postby Inconceivable! » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:18 am

Got the we have no more money letter, but telling me I will still be reconsidered again after April 22, pending my deposit on the 15th. Looking very unlikely that I will be attending GW in the fall.

sportaddict144

Postby sportaddict144 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:26 am

They bumped me from 15 to 22 per year, but I've got 30, 35, and 40 offers from similarly ranked schools. How do I go about REnegotiating? Or do I just drop it and them?

TheNextAmendment

Postby TheNextAmendment » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:01 am

cbarlow1016 wrote:Just got my scholarship award, looks more and more like GW is where I'll end up!

Congrats!

fLaw School Bound

Postby fLaw School Bound » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:30 am

sportaddict144 wrote:They bumped me from 15 to 22 per year, but I've got 30, 35, and 40 offers from similarly ranked schools. How do I go about REnegotiating? Or do I just drop it and them?

Are you eligible for any need-based grants? That might bridge the gap. Otherwise you'll probably have to pay the first seat deposit and wait to negotiate until after their offers come back in a couple of weeks.

It's not like NFL draft though, schools aren't slotted by rank into giving you a certain amount of money. If you're just making your decision on a rank-to-cost ratio without considering the location of the school, the strengths of the school and how it plays into your career goals then you are setting yourself up for a miserable experience.

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:04 am

fLaw School Bound wrote:
sportaddict144 wrote:They bumped me from 15 to 22 per year, but I've got 30, 35, and 40 offers from similarly ranked schools. How do I go about REnegotiating? Or do I just drop it and them?

Are you eligible for any need-based grants? That might bridge the gap. Otherwise you'll probably have to pay the first seat deposit and wait to negotiate until after their offers come back in a couple of weeks.

It's not like NFL draft though, schools aren't slotted by rank into giving you a certain amount of money. If you're just making your decision on a rank-to-cost ratio without considering the location of the school, the strengths of the school and how it plays into your career goals then you are setting yourself up for a miserable experience.

I'll agree with this, but with the caveat that being in D.C., with its high cost of living and tough legal job market, is a drawback for most people.

fLaw School Bound

Postby fLaw School Bound » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:32 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
fLaw School Bound wrote:

I'll agree with this, but with the caveat that being in D.C., with its high cost of living and tough legal job market, is a drawback for most people.

Definitely, in fact if anyone was simply looking for a law degree with a decent rep or a shot at big law I would actively discourage them from the expense and stress of DC. On the other hand, someone looking to work in federal law or has aspirations of working overseas would be pretty foolish to take a few extra grand to go to Washington University St. Louis, for instance. Of course this is just my opinion, but I think people focus too much on cost to rank and not enough on cost to opportunity.

BitterSplitter

Postby BitterSplitter » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:21 pm

Last edited by BitterSplitter on Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yiruri83

Postby yiruri83 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:38 pm

GW increased my merit scholarship a little bit and I'm kind of disappointed at their number. Is it possible to negotiate again? They set the deadline to accept their new offer by this Friday noon.

Whether GW is increasing again or not, I think I will end up going there but it feels like I should receive more than what they offered. Do you guys plan to re-negotiate with their offer? I mean, is it usual to re-negotiate after their second offer?

I appreciate your feedbacks~~

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:13 am

Anyone knows how WL candidates are being contacted? I'm overseas for at least the next month and maybe until Aug and was wondering if they call or email.
thanks!

InBetweenDays

Postby InBetweenDays » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:34 pm

JayJones78 wrote:Anyone knows how WL candidates are being contacted? I'm overseas for at least the next month and maybe until Aug and was wondering if they call or email.
thanks!

The WL email said they would be in contact with WL candidates in late April... They did not specify the method of communication, but I'll be sure to post about it if I hear anything.

Gene Parmesan

Postby Gene Parmesan » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:49 pm

If I were to call the admissions office, do you guys think they would give me an extension on the 4/15 seat deposit deadline? I have yet to receive my financial aid information, and this would play a very important role in deciding to put down $750 or not. Thanks!

Melo723

Postby Melo723 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:09 pm

For those of you who were able to increase your initial merit aid offer, did you put your deposit down on the April 1st or were you given an extension?

Chambo

Postby Chambo » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:45 pm

How far out do you guys plan on securing housing?

TheNextAmendment

Postby TheNextAmendment » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:19 pm

Chambo wrote:How far out do you guys plan on securing housing?

In the admitted portal there's a great link created by past students that outlines your main housing options for 1L.
Personally, Im thinking Aston.

CourCour

Postby CourCour » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:36 pm

Withdrew. Enjoy my $5k a year!

fLaw School Bound

Postby fLaw School Bound » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:32 pm

TheNextAmendment wrote:

In the admitted portal there's a great link created by past students that outlines your main housing options for 1L.

I'm leaning toward the Aston, as well. As much as it's overpriced for what you get, it's a bit of piece of mind where so little is available and a bit less stress where stress is in abundance. If that helps me get a slightly better GPA and therein a competitive advantage when applying to summer associate positions, then all the better.

RetakeFrenzy

Postby RetakeFrenzy » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:15 am

Just withdrew, but I really think GW is a wonderful school. Hope someone here gets my spot! :mrgreen:

TheNextAmendment

Postby TheNextAmendment » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:17 am

fLaw School Bound wrote:
TheNextAmendment wrote:

I'm leaning toward the Aston, as well. As much as it's overpriced for what you get, it's a bit of piece of mind where so little is available and a bit less stress where stress is in abundance. If that helps me get a slightly better GPA and therein a competitive advantage when applying to summer associate positions, then all the better.

Agreed. Make sure you email the housing director guy and reserve a spot. From what I hear it can fill up pretty quickly...especially since their other on campus housing building is being renovated. PM me if you want the guys email.

abadname13

Postby abadname13 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:55 am

George Washington responded generously to my negotiation request; seat deposit submitted today!

Melo723 wrote:For those of you who were able to increase your initial merit aid offer, did you put your deposit down on the April 1st or were you given an extension?

Given an extension through today, noon EST, to accept increased offer.

Chambo

Postby Chambo » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:00 pm

TheNextAmendment wrote:
fLaw School Bound wrote:
TheNextAmendment wrote:

Agreed. Make sure you email the housing director guy and reserve a spot. From what I hear it can fill up pretty quickly...especially since their other on campus housing building is being renovated. PM me if you want the guys email.

I'm actually waitlisted at my top choice right now. I figured I can put a deposit down and eat the cost if I get in, as it would be a lot cheaper than GW anyway, but I just need to find out exactly how long I can wait til I make a commitment on a lease. First world problem :cry:

bruin91

Postby bruin91 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:16 am

Withdrawing. Terrible experience with Admissions Office and Financial Aid Office.

simplycatalina

Postby simplycatalina » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:20 am

bruin91 wrote:Withdrawing. Terrible experience with Admissions Office and Financial Aid Office.

Care to elaborate? I've had nothing but a very positive experience with everyone in admissions and financial aid.

maxmartin

Postby maxmartin » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:44 am

bruin91 wrote:Withdrawing. Terrible experience with Admissions Office and Financial Aid Office.

agree :x

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”