George Washington c/o 2016

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
BitterSplitter

Re: George Washington c/o 2016

Postby BitterSplitter » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:35 pm

Last edited by BitterSplitter on Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stone_fox

Postby stone_fox » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:09 pm

SteelPenguin wrote:
cbarlow1016 wrote:I loved it. All of the students I talked to were really down to earth, and then I met with a few professors, and they seemed to fundamentally care about students. And I went to An Evening with GW law the night before and enjoyed talking to the Dean of Career Development. The Preview Day started off with a continental breakfast and then we went into the auditorium for a presentation from the Dean of Admission. Then Professor Turley spoke, and to be honest, that was the highlight of my day. He was just such an inspirational speaker. Then we had campus tours and I was happy because my tour guide had a public interest/public policy focus, which is what I'm interested in doing. After that we sat in on a Constitutional Law class--Dean Maggs is a great teacher, although there were a ridiculous number of people in class scribbling notes and raising their hands incessantly. I made a note not to befriend these people if I attended in the Fall haha. And then we had a nice lunch--it was a nice three-course meal--talked to the Dean of Academic Development cause she was at my table. After that, there was a student life panel and a housing panel, both very informative. Then we had some breakout sessions--I went to the ones about clinical offerings and externships. And then finally I went to the public interest info session. Overall, the facilities are not amazing, but they're definitely very nice. And you truly cannot beat the location/surrounding area. I was mainly struck by the professors and how open and friendly the students were. Sorry for the rambling/happy to answer more specific questions.

I can second this (especially bolded text), although I had a had different breakout sessions. Was it Professor Turley that talked about actually making a difference rather than just making a lot of money, or was that Dean Maggs? Either way, they were both fantastic.

The only part that rubbed me the wrong way was when the speaker at the public interest session tried to justify the poor LRAP from a moral perspective, rather than just a monetary one. For those at that session, I wasn't the guy that tried to argue with him about it.

It was Turley and yeah he was awesome. Definitely my favorite part of the day.

I had a great time at ASW. I found the current students to be enthusiastic about the school but also honest about some of its shortcomings. They were really open and relatable. The same with the staff. I sat the Professor Braman at lunch who teaches Crim Law. He was very friendly and listened to some of our concerns about debt and employment and choosing other schools. Everyone seemed to really like GW, but I never felt like they were trying to shove it down my throat. Several of the students touched on the collegial nature of the student body and lack of intense competition, which made me feel better about the large class size. I wasn't too excited about GW going in because I had heard some negative things about it on here. I'd say that it's now my top choice (although I am still quite nervous about the ridiculously high COA). Hope that helps.

Nat Sherman

Postby Nat Sherman » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:05 pm

Applied around the application deadline and got in yesterday with below 25% GPA and a 167. Really surprised at the turn around.

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:06 pm

Nat Sherman wrote:Applied around the application deadline and got in yesterday with below 25% GPA and a 167. Really surprised at the turn around.

:(. I'm still WL'd with same stats.

kaf5250

Postby kaf5250 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:11 pm

For those of you trying to negotiate aid just wanted to share my experience. I originally sent a negotiation email a few weeks ago and was told (like all of you) that they would be able to let me know after the deposit deadline. I then emailed and asked for an extension really playing up the fact that I was poor (true) and that I honestly couldn't afford to deposit a nonrefundable deposit at multiple schools to wait for a decision. They answered and said that they would try to let me know before April 1 but no promises. I emailed again yesterday after hearing nothing again asking if they still thought they would be able to get back to me by the 1st/asking for an extension if not and got an answer this morning saying they would prob not know by the 1st but probably more like next week at some time and that they would extend the deadline for me in relation to when they let me know (so a few days after whenever I hear from them). I mentioned in my email yesterday that I was visiting on Friday and some things I was specifically interested in but other than that I was just nice, apologetic, and told them how interested I was. So if your actually really interested in attending and need the money I would advise you be a little persistent and let them know that you want to attend and maybe you will have luck too!

drinion

Postby drinion » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:49 pm

BitterSplitter wrote:
drinion wrote:Just got in. Sent my app in WAAAAAAY back on September 24, 2012. Kind of surprised it took so long. I'm not expecting much, if anything, in the way of scholarship though.

conngrats! you wouldnt happen to be a 166er are you?

Thanks! And yeah, I got a dreadful 166.

medievahe

Postby medievahe » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:01 pm

Just withdrew and freed up 120k. Hopefully one of guys snag it!

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:05 pm

medievahe wrote:Just withdrew and freed up 120k. Hopefully one of guys snag it!

Dibs dibs dibs.

InBetweenDays

Postby InBetweenDays » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:27 pm

Would anyone be so kind as to take a look at my LOCI? It's kind of an odd letter to write... even after reading the whole guide on here...

LRGhost

Postby LRGhost » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:27 pm

InBetweenDays wrote:Would anyone be so kind as to take a look at my LOCI? It's kind of an odd letter to write... even after reading the whole guide on here...

Sure. I'm heading out now but PM it to me and I would be happy to go over it.

InBetweenDays

Postby InBetweenDays » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:39 pm

Thanks! Did you receive my PMs? They seem to be stuck in my outbox...

fifthconcerto

Postby fifthconcerto » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:48 pm

Hey all! I was accepted on 03/15 and only received my student number this weekend. I turned in the Financial Aid form by email but am unsure what the turn around has been like for receiving a response. I just read a post someone made about having to place a deposit by April 1st for the monetary side of things and am afraid I won't receive an award notice in time. Has this always been delivered by post, or has anyone received any notification for financial aid in email? Thank you!

[EDIT] well I just found some posts that spoke about receiving merit aid through email, so that answers that question. However, has this ever happened in less than four days? : ?

abc987

Postby abc987 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:54 pm

fifthconcerto wrote:Hey all! I was accepted on 03/15 and only received my student number this weekend. I turned in the Financial Aid form by email but am unsure what the turn around has been like for receiving a response. I just read a post someone made about having to place a deposit by April 1st for the monetary side of things and am afraid I won't receive an award notice in time. Has this always been delivered by post, or has anyone received any notification for financial aid in email? Thank you!

[EDIT] well I just found some posts that spoke about receiving merit aid through email, so that answers that question. However, has this ever happened in less than four days? : ?

The deposit deadline isn't April 1st in all cases. I got my acceptance email today and it gives a deposit deadline of April 15th rather than April 1st. If you're worried about the deadline based on the post you mentioned, check your acceptance letter to see what the deadline is for you specifically. Hopefully you have a little more time.
Last edited by abc987 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

bananasplit19

Postby bananasplit19 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:00 am

abc987 wrote:
fifthconcerto wrote:Hey all! I was accepted on 03/15 and only received my student number this weekend. I turned in the Financial Aid form by email but am unsure what the turn around has been like for receiving a response. I just read a post someone made about having to place a deposit by April 1st for the monetary side of things and am afraid I won't receive an award notice in time. Has this always been delivered by post, or has anyone received any notification for financial aid in email? Thank you!

The deposit deadline isn't April 1st in all cases. I got my acceptance email today and it gives a deposit deadline of April 15th rather than April 1st. If you're worried about the deadline based on the post you mentioned, check your acceptance letter to see what the deadline is for you specifically.

I believe April 1st is the deadline for merit scholarship offers, while April 15 is the deadline to hold your spot in the class. I'm in the same boat as fifthconcerto (3/15 acceptance), so I'm interested if anyone has the answer. I know that in previous cycles, and in general, people get offered scholarships after 4/1, so I don't think we need to worry about missing the 4/1. But if anyone has a more definitive answer, we're all ears!

totalgleek

Postby totalgleek » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:13 am

bananasplit19 wrote:
abc987 wrote:

The deposit deadline isn't April 1st in all cases. I got my acceptance email today and it gives a deposit deadline of April 15th rather than April 1st. If you're worried about the deadline based on the post you mentioned, check your acceptance letter to see what the deadline is for you specifically.

I believe April 1st is the deadline for merit scholarship offers, while April 15 is the deadline to hold your spot in the class. I'm in the same boat as fifthconcerto (3/15 acceptance), so I'm interested if anyone has the answer. I know that in previous cycles, and in general, people get offered scholarships after 4/1, so I don't think we need to worry about missing the 4/1. But if anyone has a more definitive answer, we're all ears!

I didn't get an offer out front, so my plan was to wait and ask to negotiate after 4/1. Wouldn't that make the most sense? That way there's more money free and I'll still have til April 15th right?

fLaw School Bound

Postby fLaw School Bound » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:52 am

I received an email that I was being considered for a merit scholarship and would be informed of their decision "prior to the april 15h deadline for seat deposits". If you get an offer they will tell you in the offer when your deposit is do by to secure it, otherwise it's just the april 15th deadline like everyone else. that being said it is very possible that you will have to send in your deposit before an offer because so many folks will withdraw a few weeks after making the initial deposit (many people make multiple seat deposits to keep their options open as they negotiate scholarships.)

I feel your angst, i'm in the same boat with the complication that I can't submit my Fafsa until the US DOE cashes my check clearing my old student loan and freeing me to borrow again, so I'm stuck obsessively checking my status checkers AND my bank account. Just try and relax and don't worry about it. They're not going to expect you to find a delorean and gun her up to 88 miles per hour so you can secure your scholarship days before they offer it to you.

pianogirl

Postby pianogirl » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:40 pm

Anyone have any insight as to when the next waitlist activity may happen?

Homelandsagreatshow

Postby Homelandsagreatshow » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:45 pm

after the deposit deadline for sure

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:50 pm

pianogirl wrote:Anyone have any insight as to when the next waitlist activity may happen?

I imagine since some deposits are due monday possibly next week. April/May is full of waitlist activity.

eomea5

Postby eomea5 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:59 pm

"decision made" just now... how long until i get my email?!

edit: waitlisted (about 5 minutes after i posted this)

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:12 pm

Waitlisted.

Honestly didnt see this one coming. I thought it'll be a ding for sure!

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:20 pm

JayJones78 wrote:Waitlisted.

Waiting it out ?

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:27 pm

lhanvt13 wrote:

Waiting it out ?

I am. It's still an interesting option to have. You're waiting for a decision from them?

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:40 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
lhanvt13 wrote:

Waiting it out ?

I am. It's still an interesting option to have. You're waiting for a decision from them?

Nope dinged hah

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:44 pm

lhanvt13 wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
lhanvt13 wrote:

Waiting it out ?

Nope dinged hah

Yah I was expecting the same to be honest

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”