George Washington c/o 2016 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
simplycatalina

Silver

Re: George Washington c/o 2016

Post by simplycatalina » Thu May 02, 2013 2:16 pm

anyone applying for the public service scholarship?? 100 words is so short, i'm having a hard time saying everything i want to...

sadreversesplitter

New

Post by sadreversesplitter » Thu May 02, 2013 2:38 pm

saxattack17 wrote:
sadreversesplitter wrote:
saxattack17 wrote:I applied to GW a couple of days before the March 1st deadline, and went complete a few days later. I have not had any movement on my application, other than the "Application Complete" date being changed a couple of times. Anyone else in the same boat? I'm trying (and I mean really trying) not to get too impatient, but I would like to avoid making a substantial number of initial seat deposits at other schools without my decision from GW.
I was sort of in the same boat. Applied a week before the deadline. Found out I was waitlisted by 3/19, and am just in off the WL. My guess is, they probably liked your application enough not to automatically WL you. What are your #s?

The dean of admissions is pretty awesome, and very responsive. Others can correct me, but in my view, there is no harm in taking your concern over the lack of movement to her and asking when you might have a decision.
I'm a newbie on here, but I already like the posts that I've seen you make :)

I've certainly mulled over contacting Dean Sim, but I'm just not quite sure how to go about it diplomatically. My numbers are not incredibly strong (160/3.65) but I have some unique softs (took time off from school to work for the Obama campaign, musical awards, campus leadership, etc.)
:) Welcome! As long as your portal shows that everything is received, I can imagine you will hear soon. You have checked spam correct?

If I were you, I would contact saying that you just wanted to make sure you did not miss anything so that you can stay on top of any pending deposit deadlines, if relevant. That might clear it up quickly.

phimu03

New

Post by phimu03 » Thu May 02, 2013 5:05 pm

saxattack17 wrote:I applied to GW a couple of days before the March 1st deadline, and went complete a few days later. I have not had any movement on my application, other than the "Application Complete" date being changed a couple of times. Anyone else in the same boat? I'm trying (and I mean really trying) not to get too impatient, but I would like to avoid making a substantial number of initial seat deposits at other schools without my decision from GW.
I am in the same boat too. Applied late February, I haven't heard back either. Not very strong numbers, but applied anyways. I figured a miracle could happen at this point...

sadreversesplitter

New

Post by sadreversesplitter » Thu May 02, 2013 5:07 pm

Just submitted the first seat deposit for the evening division. See some of you this fall :)

fLaw School Bound

New

Post by fLaw School Bound » Thu May 02, 2013 6:13 pm

sadreversesplitter wrote:Just submitted the first seat deposit for the evening division. See some of you this fall :)
:D Look forward to it!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

saxattack17

New

Post by saxattack17 » Thu May 02, 2013 6:59 pm

phimu03 wrote:
I am in the same boat too. Applied late February, I haven't heard back either. Not very strong numbers, but applied anyways. I figured a miracle could happen at this point...
Yes, that is me as well. I am just not a good test taker (anxiety and such) but I still hold on to some semblance of hope that the admissions committee takes a holistic approach to the review. I suppose not hearing by now is good news, in any case?

yupyup

Bronze

Post by yupyup » Thu May 02, 2013 7:05 pm

No scholarship even after negotiating. Will be withdrawing. :-/

BitterSplitter

Bronze

Post by BitterSplitter » Thu May 02, 2013 7:28 pm

Last edited by BitterSplitter on Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

phimu03

New

Post by phimu03 » Thu May 02, 2013 8:48 pm

saxattack17 wrote:
phimu03 wrote:
Yes, that is me as well. I am just not a good test taker (anxiety and such) but I still hold on to some semblance of hope that the admissions committee takes a holistic approach to the review. I suppose not hearing by now is good news, in any case?
One can only hope...I don't mind emailing Dean Sims like it was suggested a few posts back...anyone know where I can get her email address?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sadreversesplitter

New

Post by sadreversesplitter » Thu May 02, 2013 8:54 pm

perfectheight411

New

Post by perfectheight411 » Fri May 03, 2013 12:55 am

When is the second deposit due? My iPad wont let me login to the portal. First world problems I know

lawsch16

New

Post by lawsch16 » Fri May 03, 2013 1:00 am

perfectheight411 wrote:When is the second deposit due? My iPad wont let me login to the portal. First world problems I know
May 31, w/ $1000, I believe.

LSLovely173

New

Post by LSLovely173 » Fri May 03, 2013 2:42 am

cbarlow1016 wrote:anyone applying for the public service scholarship?? 100 words is so short, i'm having a hard time saying everything i want to...
Yep, I'm interested in that PSS as well! I haven't started on it yet, but I agree, 100 words seems like it's going to be a challenge. At that point I feel like I'm sending him a tweet :lol:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Fri May 03, 2013 5:45 am

yupyup wrote:No scholarship even after negotiating. Will be withdrawing. :-/
is this off the WL?

TheMostDangerousLG

Gold

Post by TheMostDangerousLG » Fri May 03, 2013 9:39 am

Just got a merit aid offer of $30K total. Took all of my willpower not to immediately reply "lol wut". I'm pretty sure that amount is less than they spend on postal shipping for a single acceptance letter.

Needless to say, withdrawing. Good luck, all.

fLaw School Bound

New

Post by fLaw School Bound » Fri May 03, 2013 9:53 am

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:Just got a merit aid offer of $30K total. Took all of my willpower not to immediately reply "lol wut". I'm pretty sure that amount is less than they spend on postal shipping for a single acceptance letter.

I know this will offend some, but it just kills me when people get indignant about not receiving a MERIT scholarship to their liking. Your application didn't MERIT a bigger scholarship. Maybe you should have worked harder to get a better GPA, maybe your LSAT was low, either way you have been offered a scholarship that covers 20% of your tuition, if you want more money go to a lower ranked school that will be happy to have you. The entitlement of 20-somethings today just drives me crazy.

I too, got the 10k a year scholarship and am damn happy to have received it. I wish it had been more, but obviously there are candidates more worthy and they deserve the money they're getting.

Dream Weave

Bronze

Post by Dream Weave » Fri May 03, 2013 10:02 am

fLaw School Bound wrote:
TheMostDangerousLG wrote:Just got a merit aid offer of $30K total. Took all of my willpower not to immediately reply "lol wut". I'm pretty sure that amount is less than they spend on postal shipping for a single acceptance letter.

I know this will offend some, but it just kills me when people get indignant about not receiving a MERIT scholarship to their liking. Your application didn't MERIT a bigger scholarship. Maybe you should have worked harder to get a better GPA, maybe your LSAT was low, either way you have been offered a scholarship that covers 20% of your tuition, if you want more money go to a lower ranked school that will be happy to have you. The entitlement of 20-somethings today just drives me crazy.

I too, got the 10k a year scholarship and am damn happy to have received it. I wish it had been more, but obviously there are candidates more worthy and they deserve the money they're getting.
This is a very naive understanding of how these scholarships function. They are not truly "merit" awards but tuition discounts. You should have negotiated as I guarantee with your LSAT you would have received a greater award.

I was offered nothing, and negotiated past 50k.. I do not have the ability to get into some of the schools you would have been accepted to with your LSAT. I should not be receiving a larger award.

The difference is that you took your "merit" award as offered whereas I asked for a larger discount. Please don't think the school is taking the higher ground and offering what they think you deserve. You are giving them way more credit than they would ever give you.

The admissions team job is to get you to come for the least amount possible. That is it. They will have no bearing on anything once you arrive.

Edit: also in the point of the cycle medians are getting closer to being locked up
And there is less money in the pot. Another variable, that effects the "merit" award

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TheMostDangerousLG

Gold

Post by TheMostDangerousLG » Fri May 03, 2013 10:07 am

fLaw School Bound wrote:

Or I could accept one of the several much larger offers I received at higher-ranked schools. But thanks for the advice.

Darby58

New

Post by Darby58 » Fri May 03, 2013 10:11 am

fLaw School Bound wrote:

What is this? Calling people entitled because they complain that a school like GW wants them to pay $250,000 is wrong and not fair. That is a ridiculously inflated number and not at all consistant with the financial value of a degree from the school.

The naiveté and the moral high handedness of 20 or 30 or 40-somethings today just drives me crazy.

Dream Weave

Bronze

Post by Dream Weave » Fri May 03, 2013 10:18 am

Darby58 wrote:
fLaw School Bound wrote:

What is this? Calling people entitled because they complain that a school like GW wants them to pay $250,000 is wrong and not fair. That is a ridiculously inflated number and not at all consistant with the financial value of a degree from the school.

The naiveté and the moral high handedness of 20 or 30 or 40-somethings today just drives me crazy.
I was trying to be nicer, but it is crazy think someone would
Be grateful to have to pay 200k for a coin flips chance at a job.

The rank is actually irrelevant in his argument, because GW is known to give way less than any of it's peer schools or even higher ranked schoolss because you get to work in the "fantastic DC"

simplycatalina

Silver

Post by simplycatalina » Fri May 03, 2013 11:15 am

Dream Weave wrote:
Darby58 wrote:
fLaw School Bound wrote:

The rank is actually irrelevant in his argument, because GW is known to give way less than any of it's peer schools or even higher ranked schoolss because you get to work in the "fantastic DC"
I kind of see both sides of the argument here. On the one hand, if you have higher offers at peer schools, going to GW doesn't make sense for you. On the other hand, perhaps an LOL shouldn't be attached to receiving a merit scholarship because I know there are other people (maybe not on TLS) who would be happy with that amount. Just my two cents, don't want to get into an argument.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Fri May 03, 2013 11:19 am

cbarlow1016 wrote:
Dream Weave wrote:
Darby58 wrote:
fLaw School Bound wrote:

I kind of see both sides of the argument here. On the one hand, if you have higher offers at peer schools, going to GW doesn't make sense for you. On the other hand, perhaps an LOL shouldn't be attached to receiving a merit scholarship because I know there are other people (maybe not on TLS) who would be happy with that amount. Just my two cents, don't want to get into an argument.
the bolded is the biggest key IMHO. the TLS sphere is totally out of the ordinary for the average LS applicant. That's why so many TTTs still exist and still have people pounding at their doors to pay $$$(or $$$$$) for a chance for a JD.

HeresToHoping25

New

Post by HeresToHoping25 » Fri May 03, 2013 11:23 am

Any WL movement in the past couple of days? I know the email requested a response of continued interest by 1 May, which led some to believe WL offers would possibly begin shortly thereafter.

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Fri May 03, 2013 11:28 am

HeresToHoping25 wrote:Any WL movement in the past couple of days? I know the email requested a response of continued interest by 1 May, which led some to believe WL offers would possibly begin shortly thereafter.
if you scroll up and maybe one page "ago" you'll see that there were some WL offers made this week ( not to me though :cry: :cry: :cry: ). My guess is that more will be given after the WL deposit deadline (which is??) and after the regular decision second deposit deadline.

sadreversesplitter

New

Post by sadreversesplitter » Fri May 03, 2013 11:34 am

Hi all! Those that were admitted off the WL have a deposit deadline of May 10 for the first $500. The second deposit being due, I assume, by May 31 with the rest of the admitted students for $1,000.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”