George Washington c/o 2016 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Belgorn

New

Re: George Washington c/o 2016

Post by Belgorn » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:30 am

For those who received responses to their requests for more aid, did you receive an actual response from a committee member informing you of you increased or unchanged amount? Or did you just receive another boilerplate email informing that your financial aid info was available?

abadname13

New

Post by abadname13 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:17 pm

cbarlow1016 wrote:
bruin91 wrote:Withdrawing. Terrible experience with Admissions Office and Financial Aid Office.
Care to elaborate? I've had nothing but a very positive experience with everyone in admissions and financial aid.
Wow. I agree with cbarlow, nothing but positive in my experience.
Belgorn wrote:For those who received responses to their requests for more aid, did you receive an actual response from a committee member informing you of you increased or unchanged amount? Or did you just receive another boilerplate email informing that your financial aid info was available?
Dean Sim sent an email with the increased amount and new deposit deadline. Followed by two of those boilerplate emails.

Belgorn

New

Post by Belgorn » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:12 pm

Belgorn wrote:For those who received responses to their requests for more aid, did you receive an actual response from a committee member informing you of you increased or unchanged amount? Or did you just receive another boilerplate email informing that your financial aid info was available?
Dean Sim sent an email with the increased amount and new deposit deadline. Followed by two of those boilerplate emails.[/quote]

Awesome. Thanks.

SteelPenguin

Silver

Post by SteelPenguin » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:54 pm

I already had some aid, but sent in a negotiation letter asking for more. I initially got an e-mail telling me that they ran out of funds and would get back to me around the 20th, but a couple days ago I got a generic financial aid e-mail telling me to check my financial aid. Unfortunately, no change for me.

Belgorn

New

Post by Belgorn » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:18 pm

SteelPenguin wrote:
I already had some aid, but sent in a negotiation letter asking for more. I initially got an e-mail telling me that they ran out of funds and would get back to me around the 20th, but a couple days ago I got a generic financial aid e-mail telling me to check my financial aid. Unfortunately, no change for me.
Okay. Same deal for me. I wasn't sure if that was a passive denial or just a mass pre-deadline email for everyone.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SteelPenguin

Silver

Post by SteelPenguin » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:03 am

Belgorn wrote:
SteelPenguin wrote:
Okay. Same deal for me. I wasn't sure if that was a passive denial or just a mass pre-deadline email for everyone.
Without TLS, I probably would have had to call them up anyway. A straightforward denial would have been preferred, but I guess that's a lot of work for a school with such a large class size.

weiweilt

New

Post by weiweilt » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:40 am

I was offered 10K/y in the earliest batch of scholarship that they sent out. They increased my offer to 14K just a few days before the April 1st but didn't extend the deadline. I then wrote for further increase and they replied, quite politely, that they would keep my request in consideration but would not know anything until after April 22nd.

enidwexler

Bronze

Post by enidwexler » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:31 pm

Anyone know by what time tomorrow we need to make our seat deposit?

maxmartin

Silver

Post by maxmartin » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:53 pm

enidwexler wrote:Anyone know by what time tomorrow we need to make our seat deposit?
midnight, I assume since it is Credit card transaction

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TheNextAmendment

Bronze

Post by TheNextAmendment » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:41 pm

Does anybody know if there is a deadline to accept grants/loans on gweb? I assume it isn't April 15th...

Melo723

New

Post by Melo723 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:51 pm

SteelPenguin wrote:
Hey SteelPenguin, have you already submitted a seat deposit to accept the $10,000 or were you given an extension? I'm in a similar situation..

SteelPenguin

Silver

Post by SteelPenguin » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:59 pm

Melo723 wrote:
SteelPenguin wrote:
Hey SteelPenguin, have you already submitted a seat deposit to accept the $10,000 or were you given an extension? I'm in a similar situation..
I put my first deposit down on April 1, but let them know I had other offers that were still on the table. At this point I'm leaning towards retaking and reapplying next cycle. If I go this year, assuming no change in waitlists, I'll be going to GW. We'll see what happens.

boris78

New

Post by boris78 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:39 pm

Glad to see that admitted applicants are negotiating. I'm waitlisted at GW, not sure how I would go if I got off the list. I live in DC and can attest to the high cost of living. Unless you want to be in DC for career reasons or are going to do IP law (for which GW is amazing), it's hard to justify sticker.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SteelPenguin

Silver

Post by SteelPenguin » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:49 pm

boris78 wrote:Glad to see that admitted applicants are negotiating. I'm waitlisted at GW, not sure how I would go if I got off the list. I live in DC and can attest to the high cost of living. Unless you want to be in DC for career reasons or are going to do IP law (for which GW is amazing), it's hard to justify sticker.
I hear this said a lot, but for someone like me that grew up in NJ/NY, most of my options will have high cost of living. I'm looking to stay within a few hours of NJ after graduation, so outside of the T14, I'm looking at NYC, DC, Philly, or Boston. That being said, I wouldn't pay sticker, but DC isn't any worse than other cities.

Ned Racine

New

Post by Ned Racine » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:30 pm

boris78 wrote:Glad to see that admitted applicants are negotiating. I'm waitlisted at GW, not sure how I would go if I got off the list. I live in DC and can attest to the high cost of living. Unless you want to be in DC for career reasons or are going to do IP law (for which GW is amazing), it's hard to justify sticker.
I'm not convinced GW for IP is worth sticker over $$$ at a lower ranked tier 1.

TheGeneral

New

Post by TheGeneral » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:37 pm

If we paid a deposit for our scholarship on the 1st do we still have to put down another deposit tomorrow?

SteelPenguin

Silver

Post by SteelPenguin » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:38 pm

TheGeneral wrote:If we paid a deposit for our scholarship on the 1st do we still have to put down another deposit tomorrow?
I had assumed that it wasn't necessary, but maybe I'm wrong. I thought the first deposit replaced this deposit.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:55 am

wondering if the WL movement will start this week. I assume that by tomorrow they'll have many many withdrawls

Daft

New

Post by Daft » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:49 am

In terms of a deposit how much do we ahve to put down? Its quite vague when going through it online.

abc987

New

Post by abc987 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:19 am

Daft wrote:In terms of a deposit how much do we have to put down? Its quite vague when going through it online.
Here is deposit information from the admitted students' portal:
For students admitted through the Early Decision/Presidential Merit Scholarship Program, only one seat deposit, in the amount of $1,500.00, is required. It must be submitted by February 15, 2013.

For students admitted through the regular admissions process, the first seat deposit, in the amount of $500.00, is due by April 15, 2013. A second seat deposit, in the amount of $1,000.00, is due by May 31, 2013.

[Source: https://my.law.gwu.edu/Primary/Admitted ... osits.aspx - Login Required]

gatorgirl2012

Bronze

Post by gatorgirl2012 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:10 am

JayJones78 wrote:wondering if the WL movement will start this week. I assume that by tomorrow they'll have many many withdrawls
THIS!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TheNextAmendment

Bronze

Post by TheNextAmendment » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:41 pm

SteelPenguin wrote:
I hear this said a lot, but for someone like me that grew up in NJ/NY, most of my options will have high cost of living. I'm looking to stay within a few hours of NJ after graduation, so outside of the T14, I'm looking at NYC, DC, Philly, or Boston. That being said, I wouldn't pay sticker, but DC isn't any worse than other cities.
Same. Outside of T14 GW was the most realistic option. From GW up its UT/Vandy/USC/UCLA/WUSTL/etc.
JayJones78 wrote:wondering if the WL movement will start this week. I assume that by tomorrow they'll have many many withdrawls
From what I've heard it seems like April 22nd (1 week from deposit deadline) is the date they're giving people for WL movement, scholarship renegotiation, etc. Wouldnt be surprised if they made moves earlier though. Good luck!

For all those interested in average GW tuition reduction- take a look at this interesting read:
http://www.admissionsdean.com/law_schoo ... ancial-aid

gatorgirl2012

Bronze

Post by gatorgirl2012 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:56 pm

TheNextAmendment wrote:
From what I've heard it seems like April 22nd (1 week from deposit deadline) is the date they're giving people for WL movement, scholarship renegotiation, etc. Wouldnt be surprised if they made moves earlier though. Good luck!
Where did you hear this? I honestly think we might see some movement this week. Have you seen how many people withdrew last week on LSN? They always have a huge class so I'm sure they'll be working hard and fast to keep it that way.

InBetweenDays

New

Post by InBetweenDays » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:03 pm

gatorgirl2012 wrote:
TheNextAmendment wrote:
Where did you hear this? I honestly think we might see some movement this week. Have you seen how many people withdrew last week on LSN? They always have a huge class so I'm sure they'll be working hard and fast to keep it that way.

Since the deposit must be "postmarked" on the 15th (today), I would think they would start dealing with wait-listers late next week (late April) when they've received the majority of deposits from accepted students. They also suggested late April correspondence in the wait-list decision letter...

TheNextAmendment

Bronze

Post by TheNextAmendment » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:11 pm

InBetweenDays wrote:
gatorgirl2012 wrote:
TheNextAmendment wrote:

Since the deposit must be "postmarked" on the 15th (today), I would think they would start dealing with wait-listers late next week (late April) when they've received the majority of deposits from accepted students. They also suggested late April correspondence in the wait-list decision letter...
This. Also I think you should know that GW (like every other law school) has been cutting their class size. Take a look at LST and LSN. Just a side-note.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”