George Washington c/o 2016 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Snowboarder1588

Bronze

Re: George Washington c/o 2016

Post by Snowboarder1588 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:00 am

So I was just told I wont get a decision for another 2-3 weeks and I went complete on 1/11. Not exactly the greatest thing to hear on a Monday morning...

Big Dog

Silver

Post by Big Dog » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:03 am

First deposit to hold merit awards is due (Sunday?), April 1, so after that time, GW will have a better handle on their yield.

Good luck.

edited to fix.
Last edited by Big Dog on Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

simplycatalina

Silver

Post by simplycatalina » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:04 am

Big Dog wrote:First deposit is due (Sunday?), April 1, so after that time, GW will have a better handle on their yield.

Good luck.
Isn't that the scholarship deposit?? Or is it the general one? I thought it was April 15.

Sadieche2464

New

Post by Sadieche2464 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:09 pm

Snowboarder1588 wrote:So I was just told I wont get a decision for another 2-3 weeks and I went complete on 1/11. Not exactly the greatest thing to hear on a Monday morning...
Seriously? I have the same complete date... Did you call Admissions?

Snowboarder1588

Bronze

Post by Snowboarder1588 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:13 pm

Sadieche2464 wrote:
Snowboarder1588 wrote:So I was just told I wont get a decision for another 2-3 weeks and I went complete on 1/11. Not exactly the greatest thing to hear on a Monday morning...
Seriously? I have the same complete date... Did you call Admissions?

Yes I did. At least now I know there is no point to check my status checker every couple hours..

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

wannabelawstudent

Gold

Post by wannabelawstudent » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:13 pm

cbarlow1016 wrote:
Big Dog wrote:First deposit is due (Sunday?), April 1, so after that time, GW will have a better handle on their yield.

Good luck.
Isn't that the scholarship deposit?? Or is it the general one? I thought it was April 15.
I believe Scholarship deposit is April 1, and the general one is April 15.

ETA: Sent an LOCI this morning.

BitterSplitter

Bronze

Post by BitterSplitter » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:03 am

Last edited by BitterSplitter on Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RetakeFrenzy

Silver

Post by RetakeFrenzy » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:52 am

BitterSplitter wrote:how are the 166s faring this cycle so far?
I'd say quite well although GW hasn't dipped into the 166s as much as it has for 167+'s

--ImageRemoved--

hoogs23

Bronze

Post by hoogs23 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:44 am

I was told within two weeks from today.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

uconjak

Bronze

Post by uconjak » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:49 pm

Well sports fans, GWU turned down my request for a extension for my AId. I wanted to tour the campus before I accepted. I was going to be in DC in early April. Looks like I am going to WithDraw from GW. Hope someone gets the spot and the money. IMHO they were a little rude about me asking for an extension, i was a little put off by their attitude. It has been a little that way every time i have contacted.

Inconceivable!

Bronze

Post by Inconceivable! » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:56 pm

Sorry to repost, but I think it got lost in the thread:

Any chance for those who attended the ASW to offer some feedback on the day: thoughts about the students/Faculty/facilities/etc? Wish I could have went.

Thanks!

deuceindc

Bronze

Post by deuceindc » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:36 pm

Inconceivable! wrote:Sorry to repost, but I think it got lost in the thread:

Any chance for those who attended the ASW to offer some feedback on the day: thoughts about the students/Faculty/facilities/etc? Wish I could have went.

Thanks!
I thought it was good, I wasn't bowled over but it was about what I'd hoped. Faculty were all very friendly (duh, they want my money) and the Con Law "class" with Dean Maggs was very accessible for those of us without any background on Marsh v Alabama - Maggs also won their teaching award something like 6 times, so of course they trotted him out for the demo class. Students seemed like they had their shit together, but I only talked to patents people. They were heavy on extolling the virtues of their location and externship program, the latter of which is really the only plus they have over GULC, as GWU does not cap their program (GWU/NW:GULC/NE location superiority is debatable, but personally I don't care). The facilities are all fine; again, I wasn't flabbergasted but obviously they're not going bankrupt. All in all, it was good. I (still) really want to go there, but I (still) won't pay sticker.

simplycatalina

Silver

Post by simplycatalina » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:54 pm

Inconceivable! wrote:Sorry to repost, but I think it got lost in the thread:

Thanks!
I loved it. All of the students I talked to were really down to earth, and then I met with a few professors, and they seemed to fundamentally care about students. And I went to An Evening with GW law the night before and enjoyed talking to the Dean of Career Development. The Preview Day started off with a continental breakfast and then we went into the auditorium for a presentation from the Dean of Admission. Then Professor Turley spoke, and to be honest, that was the highlight of my day. He was just such an inspirational speaker. Then we had campus tours and I was happy because my tour guide had a public interest/public policy focus, which is what I'm interested in doing. After that we sat in on a Constitutional Law class--Dean Maggs is a great teacher, although there were a ridiculous number of people in class scribbling notes and raising their hands incessantly. I made a note not to befriend these people if I attended in the Fall haha. And then we had a nice lunch--it was a nice three-course meal--talked to the Dean of Academic Development cause she was at my table. After that, there was a student life panel and a housing panel, both very informative. Then we had some breakout sessions--I went to the ones about clinical offerings and externships. And then finally I went to the public interest info session. Overall, the facilities are not amazing, but they're definitely very nice. And you truly cannot beat the location/surrounding area. I was mainly struck by the professors and how open and friendly the students were. Sorry for the rambling/happy to answer more specific questions.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SteelPenguin

Silver

Post by SteelPenguin » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:03 pm

BitterSplitter wrote:how are the 166s faring this cycle so far?
I'm a 165, accepted in about two weeks. It looks like 165 w/ high gpa, or 166 with average gpa and higher have been safe.

EDIT: Didn't see the LSN chart, that explains things much better than I could.

Gene Parmesan

New

Post by Gene Parmesan » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:21 pm

Just got in via email! Went complete at 1/29, and one update on 2/15!

SteelPenguin

Silver

Post by SteelPenguin » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:27 pm

Gene Parmesan wrote:Just got in via email! Went complete at 1/29, and one update on 2/15!
Congrats. Wait until you receive their fancy acceptance packet. It was the first school I got into, and it spoiled me.

simplycatalina

Silver

Post by simplycatalina » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:28 pm

SteelPenguin wrote:
Gene Parmesan wrote:Just got in via email! Went complete at 1/29, and one update on 2/15!
Congrats. Wait until you receive their fancy acceptance packet. It was the first school I got into, and it spoiled me.
Yesss. beautiful acceptance packet! and congrats!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

SteelPenguin

Silver

Post by SteelPenguin » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:37 pm

cbarlow1016 wrote:I loved it. All of the students I talked to were really down to earth, and then I met with a few professors, and they seemed to fundamentally care about students. And I went to An Evening with GW law the night before and enjoyed talking to the Dean of Career Development. The Preview Day started off with a continental breakfast and then we went into the auditorium for a presentation from the Dean of Admission. Then Professor Turley spoke, and to be honest, that was the highlight of my day. He was just such an inspirational speaker. Then we had campus tours and I was happy because my tour guide had a public interest/public policy focus, which is what I'm interested in doing. After that we sat in on a Constitutional Law class--Dean Maggs is a great teacher, although there were a ridiculous number of people in class scribbling notes and raising their hands incessantly. I made a note not to befriend these people if I attended in the Fall haha. And then we had a nice lunch--it was a nice three-course meal--talked to the Dean of Academic Development cause she was at my table. After that, there was a student life panel and a housing panel, both very informative. Then we had some breakout sessions--I went to the ones about clinical offerings and externships. And then finally I went to the public interest info session. Overall, the facilities are not amazing, but they're definitely very nice. And you truly cannot beat the location/surrounding area. I was mainly struck by the professors and how open and friendly the students were. Sorry for the rambling/happy to answer more specific questions.
I can second this (especially bolded text), although I had a had different breakout sessions. Was it Professor Turley that talked about actually making a difference rather than just making a lot of money, or was that Dean Maggs? Either way, they were both fantastic.

The only part that rubbed me the wrong way was when the speaker at the public interest session tried to justify the poor LRAP from a moral perspective, rather than just a monetary one. For those at that session, I wasn't the guy that tried to argue with him about it.

Inconceivable!

Bronze

Post by Inconceivable! » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:52 pm

Thanks for all the posts about the ASW! Trying to decide b/w GWU and one other school, so I really appreciate hearing feedback about the school :)

abc987

New

Post by abc987 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:00 pm

I'm super excited. Just got an acceptance email about an hour ago. I applied to law schools last cycle as well and decided to wait a year, but this acceptance is particularly exciting because GW said no last year.

----------------
Here are my details for reference:

Applied - March 1st.
Received - March 4th.
Complete - March 15th.
Decision, Admitted - March 26th by email (a few minutes before 4pm).

LSAT: 166
GPA: N/A (Attended a college that did written evaluations instead of grades.)
Nontraditional (graduated 2004, working since then)
Living in Virginia.

LSN Profile: lawschoolnumbers.com/ABC987

abc987

New

Post by abc987 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:02 pm

cbarlow1016 wrote:
SteelPenguin wrote:
Oooh, now I'm going to be checking the mailbox all the time.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Gene Parmesan

New

Post by Gene Parmesan » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:21 pm

abc987 wrote:
cbarlow1016 wrote:
SteelPenguin wrote:
Oooh, now I'm going to be checking the mailbox all the time.

Thanks everyone! Definitely did not expect this after reading the posts above about waiting another two weeks!

BitterSplitter

Bronze

Post by BitterSplitter » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:25 pm

Last edited by BitterSplitter on Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drinion

Bronze

Post by drinion » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:26 pm

Just got in. Sent my app in WAAAAAAY back on September 24, 2012. Kind of surprised it took so long. I'm not expecting much, if anything, in the way of scholarship though.

Gene Parmesan

New

Post by Gene Parmesan » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:30 pm

BitterSplitter wrote:wait, does GW not have a "under review" status for their checker? I went complete on 2/15 and nothing since, but I thought complete just meant ready for review but not yet under? thx

It will only say "complete" with random date changes. They don't switch to "under review" like some schools.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”