UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
99.9luft
Posts: 1244
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby 99.9luft » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:07 am

Dmini7 wrote:Dang, some of you are cruel. :|


were you the one who posted somewhere on liking USC's ASW more? Curious to hear more on that if it was you.

User avatar
Cartman
Posts: 168
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:41 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Cartman » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:49 am

Hi all,

Thought I'd finally get around to posting about UCI's ASW for those of you who couldn't go (In case I chatted with anyone, I was "Aaron from San Jose State University!") I had a blast, and a bunch of the student's I spoke with who were still deciding (I was deferred from the previous year, so they didn't need to sell the school to me) loved it too. Many of the students I spoke with agreed that it solidified their choice to go. I only ended up going on Friday (sorry to those of you who I told I'd be there Saturday, too! ><) as I was so exhausted from the full day of Friday's activities - I had only gotten a few hours of sleep the day before as well. I can only speak to Friday, then, but I had a great time. The professors who I spoke with are amazing. At lunch one of the professors (Hempel) came and sat at our table and spoke with us candidly. Very, very friendly and informative; was absolutely great. She talked with us extensively about the schools program and what she thought set UCI apart. Aside from that, the moot court finals were really fun to watch. I spoke to one of the judges at the reception afterwards and he was really friendly. It seemed like all thought very highly of Dean Chem, something that I've heard repeated over and over. Was also very impressed with the schools Pro Bono program. It seemed like Anna Davis is doing an excellent job at getting students involved in Pro Bono work. It definitely made me excited to get involved as well.

As for Saturday, I'd love for someone who went to give me their thoughts! If you want to PM that would be just great with me. Also feel free to PM with questions you have, or if I met you just to chat further. I met some really nice people from all over the country (and internationally! Looking at you Canada!) who it seems like would be great friends throughout law school.

Tl;dr version: Had an absolutely amazing time. Would highly recommend attending, I sure will be!

Cheers

bruin91
Posts: 237
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:09 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby bruin91 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:48 am

bruin91 wrote:Went complete mid-March. Hoping for acceptance and merit scholarship before 4/30 so I know what I need to do with other schools.

Anyone else still waiting? I called the admissions office and they made it seem like they aren't pressed to make a decision before May 1.


bump

countmein
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:24 am

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby countmein » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:10 am

can any current UCI Law students give any insight to what is like to commute from LA during your first year of law school?

User avatar
99.9luft
Posts: 1244
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby 99.9luft » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:04 am

countmein wrote:can any current UCI Law students give any insight to what is like to commute from LA during your first year of law school?


i spoke to one 2L who performed this daily odyssey. A very tough routine to maintain while getting the best grades possible - you need to be incredibly disciplined.

User avatar
gitguy
Posts: 264
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:01 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby gitguy » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:29 am

countmein wrote:can any current UCI Law students give any insight to what is like to commute from LA during your first year of law school?

I wouldn't recommend it. It's probably worse than you think.

User avatar
zot1
Posts: 3082
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:53 am

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby zot1 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:22 pm

countmein wrote:can any current UCI Law students give any insight to what is like to commute from LA during your first year of law school?


PM me. I can direct you to a current 1L who I know commutes.

From previous conversations, she has said that it is no impossible- you just have to be able to leave early enough to not get stuck for hours due to heavy traffic.

One of the reasons why I personally decided against it (after considering it for quite some time), was because we're in school for long periods of time. So I didn't want to have to drive home tired. Also, there's a chance that you will miss out on a lot of events because you might want to leave earlier to avoid traffic. And last but not least, on-campus housing is way cheaper and nicer than anything else I could have afforded in L.A.

User avatar
teiswei
Posts: 695
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:50 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby teiswei » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:25 pm

Can anyone post pictures of the interiors of graduate housing? It's difficult to sign up for something I've only done a driveby of but love the proximity to the campus.

ChaseInk
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:51 am

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby ChaseInk » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:24 pm

countmein wrote:can any current UCI Law students give any insight to what is like to commute from LA during your first year of law school?


PM me and I can direct you to a 2L who did it his 1L year (he lives in Irvine now).

ChaseInk
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:51 am

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby ChaseInk » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:18 pm

ChaseInk wrote:
countmein wrote:can any current UCI Law students give any insight to what is like to commute from LA during your first year of law school?


PM me and I can direct you to a 2L who did it his 1L year (he lives in Irvine now).


I figured this should be out there for anyone to read. From the 2L who commuted 1L year:

The con: I missed out on a lot of social activities. During OCI, OC employers don't want to see an LA address on your resume.

The pros: it forced discipline on me. During 1L year, most classes start in the morning, so you need to be on campus early. I commuted from Venice, so that meant leaving Venice by 5:45am at the latest to beat traffic. I tread the 45 minute drive as my time to listen to various pod casts (don't joke yourself--you're not going to use that time to listen to audiobooks on class material). The upshot of this is that I either surfed Huntington/Newport before class or was in the gym most mornings. I'd shower at the gym, grab some yogurt that I would leave in the fridge in the commons, then hit the library when it opened at 8:00. Traffic up the 405 frees up by 6:45pm, but I would usually stick around until 8 to finish up some work. That way I could get home and have the chance to see friends or watch a movie.

The main reason I did this was because I had a life that I wanted to maintain in LA. I lived on the beach and was in great social circles. But I had lived in LA for 7 years prior to law school starting. If I were just moving to SoCal, I would not move to LA, but rather to Irvine or the area. The cost of living is generally going to be cheaper in OC than LA and you'll want to be part of the social activities of your class.

Also, I should mention, that I did not find the commute taxing or wearing until the end of second semester. Once reading week hit second semester, I was toast. I moved down to Irvine before 2L started and there is absolutely no way I could have commuted this year while juggling law review, classes, OCI, research fellow, being a research assistant, pro bono, and student group stuff.

User avatar
b123
Posts: 183
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:32 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby b123 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:04 pm

ChaseInk wrote:
ChaseInk wrote:
countmein wrote:can any current UCI Law students give any insight to what is like to commute from LA during your first year of law school?


PM me and I can direct you to a 2L who did it his 1L year (he lives in Irvine now).


I figured this should be out there for anyone to read. From the 2L who commuted 1L year:

The con: I missed out on a lot of social activities. During OCI, OC employers don't want to see an LA address on your resume.

The pros: it forced discipline on me. During 1L year, most classes start in the morning, so you need to be on campus early. I commuted from Venice, so that meant leaving Venice by 5:45am at the latest to beat traffic. I tread the 45 minute drive as my time to listen to various pod casts (don't joke yourself--you're not going to use that time to listen to audiobooks on class material). The upshot of this is that I either surfed Huntington/Newport before class or was in the gym most mornings. I'd shower at the gym, grab some yogurt that I would leave in the fridge in the commons, then hit the library when it opened at 8:00. Traffic up the 405 frees up by 6:45pm, but I would usually stick around until 8 to finish up some work. That way I could get home and have the chance to see friends or watch a movie.

The main reason I did this was because I had a life that I wanted to maintain in LA. I lived on the beach and was in great social circles. But I had lived in LA for 7 years prior to law school starting. If I were just moving to SoCal, I would not move to LA, but rather to Irvine or the area. The cost of living is generally going to be cheaper in OC than LA and you'll want to be part of the social activities of your class.

Also, I should mention, that I did not find the commute taxing or wearing until the end of second semester. Once reading week hit second semester, I was toast. I moved down to Irvine before 2L started and there is absolutely no way I could have commuted this year while juggling law review, classes, OCI, research fellow, being a research assistant, pro bono, and student group stuff.


You mean you didn't want to surf the closeouts in Venice or El Porto? :P

User avatar
butyourhonor
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:21 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby butyourhonor » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:29 pm

Has anyone heard anything about ASW-reimbursement? I emailed them with the required documentation and was told that they'd be in touch regarding the expenses. My bank account is getting dangerously low. Thanks!

User avatar
thatgumyoulike
Posts: 77
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:36 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby thatgumyoulike » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:04 pm

So I'm very interested in UCI, but waiting on SC, visiting Cornell next week, and still want to negotiate with UCLA and Cornell (which all depends on the potential SC offer). If I commit to a SIR before Friday, will I be unable to deposit anywhere else? Is anyone in this boat, too?

It's great that there is no deposit, but having to sign a SIR this early is a bit much.

User avatar
yupyup
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:00 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby yupyup » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:13 pm

thatgumyoulike wrote:So I'm very interested in UCI, but waiting on SC, visiting Cornell next week, and still want to negotiate with UCLA and Cornell (which all depends on the potential SC offer). If I commit to a SIR before Friday, will I be unable to deposit anywhere else? Is anyone in this boat, too?

It's great that there is no deposit, but having to sign a SIR this early is a bit much.


Thanks to TLS I learned that you're able to make multiple deposits. I had no idea before. LSAC's official position on this is the following:

"Multiple-Deposit Notification
Each year, LSAC provides participating law schools with periodic reports detailing the number of applicants who have submitted seat deposits or commitments at other participating schools, along with identification of those other schools. Beginning May 15 each year, these reports now also include the names and LSAC account numbers for all candidates who have deposits/commitments at multiple participating schools."

http://www.lsac.org/jd/apply/whom-to-admit.asp

So to my understanding, the SIR is not binding.

User avatar
thatgumyoulike
Posts: 77
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:36 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby thatgumyoulike » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:15 pm

yupyup wrote:
thatgumyoulike wrote:So I'm very interested in UCI, but waiting on SC, visiting Cornell next week, and still want to negotiate with UCLA and Cornell (which all depends on the potential SC offer). If I commit to a SIR before Friday, will I be unable to deposit anywhere else? Is anyone in this boat, too?

It's great that there is no deposit, but having to sign a SIR this early is a bit much.


Thanks to TLS I learned that you're able to make multiple deposits. I had no idea before. LSAC's official position on this is the following:

"Multiple-Deposit Notification
Each year, LSAC provides participating law schools with periodic reports detailing the number of applicants who have submitted seat deposits or commitments at other participating schools, along with identification of those other schools. Beginning May 15 each year, these reports now also include the names and LSAC account numbers for all candidates who have deposits/commitments at multiple participating schools."

http://www.lsac.org/jd/apply/whom-to-admit.asp

So to my understanding, the SIR is not binding.

Thanks. I know you can put down multiple deposits, but is a SIR the same thing? I figured since it is an intent to register it would prevent you from depositing at other schools.

User avatar
yupyup
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:00 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby yupyup » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:21 pm

thatgumyoulike wrote:
yupyup wrote:
thatgumyoulike wrote:So I'm very interested in UCI, but waiting on SC, visiting Cornell next week, and still want to negotiate with UCLA and Cornell (which all depends on the potential SC offer). If I commit to a SIR before Friday, will I be unable to deposit anywhere else? Is anyone in this boat, too?

It's great that there is no deposit, but having to sign a SIR this early is a bit much.


Thanks to TLS I learned that you're able to make multiple deposits. I had no idea before. LSAC's official position on this is the following:

"Multiple-Deposit Notification
Each year, LSAC provides participating law schools with periodic reports detailing the number of applicants who have submitted seat deposits or commitments at other participating schools, along with identification of those other schools. Beginning May 15 each year, these reports now also include the names and LSAC account numbers for all candidates who have deposits/commitments at multiple participating schools."

http://www.lsac.org/jd/apply/whom-to-admit.asp

So to my understanding, the SIR is not binding.

Thanks. I know you can put down multiple deposits, but is a SIR the same thing? I figured since it is an intent to register it would prevent you from depositing at other schools.


When I turned my in, I didn't see anything binding us to attend the law school. It even mentions the following:

"If in the future your Intent to Register changes, please contact the UCI School of Law Admissions Office at lawadmit@law.uci.edu or (949) 824-4545."

User avatar
thatgumyoulike
Posts: 77
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:36 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby thatgumyoulike » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:37 pm

yupyup wrote:
thatgumyoulike wrote:
yupyup wrote:
thatgumyoulike wrote:So I'm very interested in UCI, but waiting on SC, visiting Cornell next week, and still want to negotiate with UCLA and Cornell (which all depends on the potential SC offer). If I commit to a SIR before Friday, will I be unable to deposit anywhere else? Is anyone in this boat, too?

It's great that there is no deposit, but having to sign a SIR this early is a bit much.


Thanks to TLS I learned that you're able to make multiple deposits. I had no idea before. LSAC's official position on this is the following:

"Multiple-Deposit Notification
Each year, LSAC provides participating law schools with periodic reports detailing the number of applicants who have submitted seat deposits or commitments at other participating schools, along with identification of those other schools. Beginning May 15 each year, these reports now also include the names and LSAC account numbers for all candidates who have deposits/commitments at multiple participating schools."

http://www.lsac.org/jd/apply/whom-to-admit.asp

So to my understanding, the SIR is not binding.

Thanks. I know you can put down multiple deposits, but is a SIR the same thing? I figured since it is an intent to register it would prevent you from depositing at other schools.


When I turned my in, I didn't see anything binding us to attend the law school. It even mentions the following:

"If in the future your Intent to Register changes, please contact the UCI School of Law Admissions Office at lawadmit@law.uci.edu or (949) 824-4545."


Right on--that sounds pretty non-binding, though it doesn't definitively answer the seat deposit question. Anyone else have information on this?

Schieff
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 7:21 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Schieff » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:39 am

Current 2L here. The SIR is entirely non-binding. Its purpose is to help admissions get a better sense of who actually plans to attend UCI.

User avatar
99.9luft
Posts: 1244
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby 99.9luft » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:11 am

thatgumyoulike wrote:So I'm very interested in UCI, but waiting on SC, visiting Cornell next week, and still want to negotiate with UCLA and Cornell (which all depends on the potential SC offer). If I commit to a SIR before Friday, will I be unable to deposit anywhere else? Is anyone in this boat, too?

It's great that there is no deposit, but having to sign a SIR this early is a bit much.


i had sent my SIR in February, because it's much like a UN resolution: non-binding.

User avatar
yupyup
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:00 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby yupyup » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:17 am

Otherwise, it would be a SCR (Statement of Commitment to Register), instead of an intent to register, no? :wink:

User avatar
unclepete
Posts: 295
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:54 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby unclepete » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:38 pm

Wondering if geography can be to your advantage on a waitlist. I.e. since I live in LA and am therefore more likely to attend, even last-minute. Anybody have an perspective here?

User avatar
bne
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:45 am

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby bne » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:36 pm

unclepete wrote:Wondering if geography can be to your advantage on a waitlist. I.e. since I live in LA and am therefore more likely to attend, even last-minute. Anybody have an perspective here?

I'm hoping that's the case - went to undergrad there and am an Orange County native. Anyone?

born4law
Posts: 109
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:56 am

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby born4law » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:20 pm

Just withdrew. Enjoy the $120k back into the pot everyone! Best of luck! I never thought this day would come...

countmein
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:24 am

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby countmein » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:41 pm

Did anyone else get depressed after calculating their student loan monthly payments on the 10 year plan...?

User avatar
gitguy
Posts: 264
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:01 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby gitguy » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:55 pm

countmein wrote:Did anyone else get depressed after calculating their student loan monthly payments on the 10 year plan...?


+1




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] and 5 guests