UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
countmein
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:24 am

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby countmein » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:41 pm

teiswei wrote:Updated the poll on the Class of 2016 page. Let me know if I forgot anything.


can you post the link to the poll? thanks

countmein
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:24 am

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby countmein » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:42 pm

Should the LOR be sent through LSAC or just like the LOCI?[/quote]


Just like LOCI

User avatar
teiswei
Posts: 695
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:50 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby teiswei » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:04 pm

countmein wrote:
teiswei wrote:Updated the poll on the Class of 2016 page. Let me know if I forgot anything.


can you post the link to the poll? thanks

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=205414

User avatar
martorem
Posts: 190
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:11 am

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby martorem » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:58 pm

boblawlob wrote:During ASW, I was mentally picturing Jim Cramer consulting me on what school I should pick.*

Image
"They got the employment numbers! They got dedication! They got experiential learning! And they got Dean Chemerinsky! Let's bump it up to a consider!"

*This may go over your head if you don't know who Jim Cramer is and/or have never seen Arrested Development.


If you haven't realized already, Arrested Development gets A LOT of love at UCI (especially if you have Leslie for Contracts). I'm so excited a lot of you are seriously considering coming or have decided to! The few of you I had the opportunity to meet were amazing and I'm looking forward to seeing you all in the fall! :)

User avatar
gitguy
Posts: 264
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:01 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby gitguy » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:05 am

teiswei wrote:I could go on for days about the ASW but I will keep it brief. I really appreciated how originized the events were and how enthusiastic every faculty member was about the program. But the thing that impressed me most were the current students. I spent the majority of my time at the networking events speaking to and getting to know the current 2Ls and 3Ls. Every single one truly drank the Kool-Aid and have no regrets with their decisions despite turning down some really big name schools and scholarships. They clearly have created abound with each other, something I haven't seen at any other school I've visited. I am glad I got to meet some of you and look forward to seeing many of you in August...except Al.


Let's go easy on Al. He's a cool cat in his own right. For the record, Dean Austin asked Al to abstain because she was there to let Prof. Chacon know she needed to wrap things up.

ammanley
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:51 am

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby ammanley » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:04 am

gitguy wrote:
teiswei wrote:I could go on for days about the ASW but I will keep it brief. I really appreciated how originized the events were and how enthusiastic every faculty member was about the program. But the thing that impressed me most were the current students. I spent the majority of my time at the networking events speaking to and getting to know the current 2Ls and 3Ls. Every single one truly drank the Kool-Aid and have no regrets with their decisions despite turning down some really big name schools and scholarships. They clearly have created abound with each other, something I haven't seen at any other school I've visited. I am glad I got to meet some of you and look forward to seeing many of you in August...except Al.


Let's go easy on Al. He's a cool cat in his own right. For the record, Dean Austin asked Al to abstain because she was there to let Prof. Chacon know she needed to wrap things up.


+1 about Al. I like you, lets meet.

User avatar
gitguy
Posts: 264
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:01 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby gitguy » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:58 pm

ammanley wrote:
gitguy wrote:
teiswei wrote:I could go on for days about the ASW but I will keep it brief. I really appreciated how originized the events were and how enthusiastic every faculty member was about the program. But the thing that impressed me most were the current students. I spent the majority of my time at the networking events speaking to and getting to know the current 2Ls and 3Ls. Every single one truly drank the Kool-Aid and have no regrets with their decisions despite turning down some really big name schools and scholarships. They clearly have created abound with each other, something I haven't seen at any other school I've visited. I am glad I got to meet some of you and look forward to seeing many of you in August...except Al.


Let's go easy on Al. He's a cool cat in his own right. For the record, Dean Austin asked Al to abstain because she was there to let Prof. Chacon know she needed to wrap things up.


+1 about Al. I like you, lets meet.


I'm local. Feel free to PM me.

User avatar
eav1277
Posts: 375
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:58 am

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby eav1277 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:47 pm

Anyone go to Irvine for undergrad and have the scoop on Verano Place, Palo Verde,Campus village, or any of the private on campus options?

bruin91
Posts: 237
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:09 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby bruin91 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:31 pm

Went complete mid-March. Hoping for acceptance and merit scholarship before 4/30 so I know what I need to do with other schools.

Anyone else still waiting? I called the admissions office and they made it seem like they aren't pressed to make a decision before May 1.

User avatar
bne
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:45 am

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby bne » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:05 pm

eav1277 wrote:Anyone go to Irvine for undergrad and have the scoop on Verano Place, Palo Verde,Campus village, or any of the private on campus options?

I rented a one bedroom/one bath in Vista del Campo - Norte complex for a year while attending as an undergraduate before deciding to commute from home to save money. I absolutely loved it. I heard that the graduate units are slightly bigger (have their own washer/dryer) and are quieter than the undergraduate units. Puerta del Sol and Camino del Sol were just recently built and are nicest places to live but of course the most expensive. I've also heard nothing but good things about Verano Place and Palo Verde - comfortable, quiet and I believe they just renovated all of them. I do not know much about Campus Village except that its one of the older apartments and on the other side of campus, but honestly, you can't go wrong with any of the housing options at UCI. Irvine is a very nice and safe place to live and you can get around on a bike or take one of the free shuttles on campus (which also takes you down to Balboa) during the week. I'm a South Orange County native, so if you have any questions about the area, feel free to PM me. I hope I can join all of you next year... still waiting out this waitlist.

User avatar
yupyup
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:00 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby yupyup » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:26 pm

gitguy wrote:
teiswei wrote:I could go on for days about the ASW but I will keep it brief. I really appreciated how originized the events were and how enthusiastic every faculty member was about the program. But the thing that impressed me most were the current students. I spent the majority of my time at the networking events speaking to and getting to know the current 2Ls and 3Ls. Every single one truly drank the Kool-Aid and have no regrets with their decisions despite turning down some really big name schools and scholarships. They clearly have created abound with each other, something I haven't seen at any other school I've visited. I am glad I got to meet some of you and look forward to seeing many of you in August...except Al.


Let's go easy on Al. He's a cool cat in his own right. For the record, Dean Austin asked Al to abstain because she was there to let Prof. Chacon know she needed to wrap things up.


Actually, she stopped him to give a girl next to him the chance to ask a question. Otherwise she would have asked the girl to not raise her hand either. But I'm not here to bash Al. I briefly spoke to him and he didn't seem like the type of person I'd be friends with. But heck, there are people who wouldn't want to be friends with me either, so to each his/her own. :roll:

countmein
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:24 am

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby countmein » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:43 pm

I don't see the difference between someone that posts trash on this board about a fellow 0L to protect their anonymity and a really messed up person. I wonder why people don't post trash about Al on the facebook page...
Last edited by countmein on Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aristophanes
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:27 am

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Aristophanes » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:44 pm

yupyup wrote:
gitguy wrote:
teiswei wrote:I could go on for days about the ASW but I will keep it brief. I really appreciated how originized the events were and how enthusiastic every faculty member was about the program. But the thing that impressed me most were the current students. I spent the majority of my time at the networking events speaking to and getting to know the current 2Ls and 3Ls. Every single one truly drank the Kool-Aid and have no regrets with their decisions despite turning down some really big name schools and scholarships. They clearly have created abound with each other, something I haven't seen at any other school I've visited. I am glad I got to meet some of you and look forward to seeing many of you in August...except Al.


Let's go easy on Al. He's a cool cat in his own right. For the record, Dean Austin asked Al to abstain because she was there to let Prof. Chacon know she needed to wrap things up.


Actually, she stopped him to give a girl next to him the chance to ask a question. Otherwise she would have asked the girl to not raise her hand either. But I'm not here to bash Al. I briefly spoke to him and he didn't seem like the type of person I'd be friends with. But heck, there are people who wouldn't want to be friends with me either, so to each his/her own. :roll:


+1

I was thinking that Al may just not be aware of how he appears to other people when he guns, and it may not matter to him. Everyone's different. He seems like a smart guy, and I wish him the best wherever he goes. If he chooses to attend UCI, that's cool.

User avatar
Dmini7
Posts: 725
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:20 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Dmini7 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:02 pm

Just curious, did anyone talk to al to see where he was considering attending? I was only at the second day, but I assume I know who you all talking about since I recall one kid answering/asking more questions than the rest. I kind of wish I took the time to speak to him and pick his brain as it seems that most people kind of isolated him and he may not have felt welcome (again, I am just guessing since I didn't get to talk to him and I wasn't there the first day).

User avatar
gitguy
Posts: 264
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:01 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby gitguy » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:09 pm

Aristophanes wrote:
yupyup wrote:
gitguy wrote:
teiswei wrote:I could go on for days about the ASW but I will keep it brief. I really appreciated how originized the events were and how enthusiastic every faculty member was about the program. But the thing that impressed me most were the current students. I spent the majority of my time at the networking events speaking to and getting to know the current 2Ls and 3Ls. Every single one truly drank the Kool-Aid and have no regrets with their decisions despite turning down some really big name schools and scholarships. They clearly have created abound with each other, something I haven't seen at any other school I've visited. I am glad I got to meet some of you and look forward to seeing many of you in August...except Al.


Let's go easy on Al. He's a cool cat in his own right. For the record, Dean Austin asked Al to abstain because she was there to let Prof. Chacon know she needed to wrap things up.


Actually, she stopped him to give a girl next to him the chance to ask a question. Otherwise she would have asked the girl to not raise her hand either. But I'm not here to bash Al. I briefly spoke to him and he didn't seem like the type of person I'd be friends with. But heck, there are people who wouldn't want to be friends with me either, so to each his/her own. :roll:


+1

I was thinking that Al may just not be aware of how he appears to other people when he guns, and it may not matter to him. Everyone's different. He seems like a smart guy, and I wish him the best wherever he goes. If he chooses to attend UCI, that's cool.


I don't think he's aware of it, and I do think he cares. He is a smart dude, and has committed to attending UCI. This is not a crusade on my part. I just know what it's like to feel out of place, and that would be a terrible way to start law school.

Aristophanes
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:27 am

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Aristophanes » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:21 pm

gitguy wrote:
Aristophanes wrote:
yupyup wrote:
gitguy wrote:
Let's go easy on Al. He's a cool cat in his own right. For the record, Dean Austin asked Al to abstain because she was there to let Prof. Chacon know she needed to wrap things up.


Actually, she stopped him to give a girl next to him the chance to ask a question. Otherwise she would have asked the girl to not raise her hand either. But I'm not here to bash Al. I briefly spoke to him and he didn't seem like the type of person I'd be friends with. But heck, there are people who wouldn't want to be friends with me either, so to each his/her own. :roll:


+1

I was thinking that Al may just not be aware of how he appears to other people when he guns, and it may not matter to him. Everyone's different. He seems like a smart guy, and I wish him the best wherever he goes. If he chooses to attend UCI, that's cool.


I don't think he's aware of it, and I do think he cares. He is a smart dude, and has committed to attending UCI. This is not a crusade on my part. I just know what it's like to feel out of place, and that would be a terrible way to start law school.


gitguy, thanks very much for the info. I wish he hadn't been so shy when I spoke to him, because I was interested in where he was coming from. But I'm glad we can get to know him better this fall and help him feel that he is just as welcome as anyone else.

ammanley
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:51 am

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby ammanley » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:33 pm

+1

I was thinking that Al may just not be aware of how he appears to other people when he guns, and it may not matter to him. Everyone's different. He seems like a smart guy, and I wish him the best wherever he goes. If he chooses to attend UCI, that's cool.[/quote]

I don't think he's aware of it, and I do think he cares. He is a smart dude, and has committed to attending UCI. This is not a crusade on my part. I just know what it's like to feel out of place, and that would be a terrible way to start law school.[/quote]

gitguy, thanks very much for the info. I wish he hadn't been so shy when I spoke to him, because I was interested in where he was coming from. But I'm glad we can get to know him better this fall and help him feel that he is just as welcome as anyone else.[/quote]

+1 to this

User avatar
Observant_Poster
Posts: 63
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:31 am

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Observant_Poster » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:13 pm

countmein wrote:I don't see the difference between someone that posts trash on this board about a fellow 0L to protect their anonymity and a really messed up person. I wonder why people don't post trash about Al on the facebook page...


There is a difference between trash and pointing out stuff that actually happened. This guy had 4 years of college to learn that constantly volunteering or asking questions interferes with other students class time. At this point in our lives, class = $ and lots of it. I will be extremely upset if this guy is in my class and constantly bringing up irrelevant points or concerns that can easily be asked after class or during office hours. An example, I was in a transitioning to law school seminar and who asked a question less than a minute in... Al. He asked what the speakers name was, sure maybe its a good question but it could easily be asked after the seminar especially since she had already announced it. Point is, I am paying to learn from the teacher and from a variety of students, not from Al.

Hopefully he reads this board and can change his habits, but i doubt it.

User avatar
Dmini7
Posts: 725
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:20 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Dmini7 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:17 pm

Dang, some of you are cruel. :|

countmein
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:24 am

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby countmein » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:30 pm

Observant_Poster wrote:
countmein wrote:I don't see the difference between someone that posts trash on this board about a fellow 0L to protect their anonymity and a really messed up person. I wonder why people don't post trash about Al on the facebook page...


There is a difference between trash and pointing out stuff that actually happened. This guy had 4 years of college to learn that constantly volunteering or asking questions interferes with other students class time. At this point in our lives, class = $ and lots of it. I will be extremely upset if this guy is in my class and constantly bringing up irrelevant points or concerns that can easily be asked after class or during office hours. An example, I was in a transitioning to law school seminar and who asked a question less than a minute in... Al. He asked what the speakers name was, sure maybe its a good question but it could easily be asked after the seminar especially since she had already announced it. Point is, I am paying to learn from the teacher and from a variety of students, not from Al.

Hopefully he reads this board and can change his habits, but i doubt it.


Not sure if you've read all that has been said about Al. One final question: why not talk about this on facebook if it's not "trash"?

User avatar
Observant_Poster
Posts: 63
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:31 am

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Observant_Poster » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:58 pm

countmein wrote: Not sure if you've read all that has been said about Al. One final question: why not talk about this on facebook if it's not "trash"?


I probably would if I had one. But then again, there is something to be said about anonymity. Simply because you are doing something anonymously doesn't make you a 'messed up person.' I don't know this Al guy, he could be crazy and take things to heart. All I know is I didn't appreciate his many questions and I hope I am able to avoid him next fall. Or if not, I hope he reads this thread and understands how some of his fellow students feel about his in class antics.

ammanley
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:51 am

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby ammanley » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:14 am

I feel like this thread is tilting dangerously in a flaming direction. Lets just let Al be Al and give the matter a rest. We all want to be awesome classmates right? :)

User avatar
yupyup
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:00 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby yupyup » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:17 am

Aristophanes wrote:gitguy, thanks very much for the info. I wish he hadn't been so shy when I spoke to him, because I was interested in where he was coming from. But I'm glad we can get to know him better this fall and help him feel that he is just as welcome as anyone else.


+1 Of course, everyone deserves to be welcomed. Everyone has their niche. I'm sure he'll find his in law school like everyone else.

Observant_Poster wrote:
countmein wrote:I don't see the difference between someone that posts trash on this board about a fellow 0L to protect their anonymity and a really messed up person. I wonder why people don't post trash about Al on the facebook page...


There is a difference between trash and pointing out stuff that actually happened. This guy had 4 years of college to learn that constantly volunteering or asking questions interferes with other students class time. At this point in our lives, class = $ and lots of it. I will be extremely upset if this guy is in my class and constantly bringing up irrelevant points or concerns that can easily be asked after class or during office hours. An example, I was in a transitioning to law school seminar and who asked a question less than a minute in... Al. He asked what the speakers name was, sure maybe its a good question but it could easily be asked after the seminar especially since she had already announced it. Point is, I am paying to learn from the teacher and from a variety of students, not from Al.

Hopefully he reads this board and can change his habits, but i doubt it.


You make good points. If a person in the classroom is disruptive to the point that it interferes with your learning, then there's a definite problem. I've been in classes with these kinds of people (some who were arrogant on top of that) but Al didn't strike me as one of those (especially not arrogant), so much as an "eager" student.

And with that, I'll say no more on the subject and hope the thread moves on.

User avatar
teiswei
Posts: 695
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:50 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby teiswei » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:02 am

Just to clear things up, I am not against Al. I was harsh in my initial post and it was wrong. I look forward to August and hope we all get along.

User avatar
99.9luft
Posts: 1244
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby 99.9luft » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:05 am

teiswei wrote:Just to clear things up, I am not against Al. I was harsh in my initial post and it was wrong. I look forward to August and hope we all get along.


i agree. if he is the worst gunner at UCI, the 2016 will be the luckiest class, since you guys know they come with much bigger, badder guns than that :)




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], Lawl_Schoolz, proteinshake, Pugnax and 28 guests