UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
yupyup

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby yupyup » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:12 pm

b123 wrote:
ChaseInk wrote:
Hyee wrote:
nthakker wrote:In terms of what students wear on a regular basis: just regular clothes but nothing too revealing/risky.

Thanks, because I've essentially worn jeans and a black t-shirt for every casual public appearance since senior year of high school. Would hate to have to change that.

Here is my $0.02 on this: yes this is Souther California, and yes you can get away with wearing jeans, rainbows, and a t-shirt anywhere but court and a funeral, but YOU ARE GOING TO THE SCHOOL SO THAT YOU CAN GO TO COURT (or stay out of it, if you're doing transactional). I'm not saying wear a shirt and tie to ASW or to class, but at ASW and on any given day during the school year, you are interacting not just with your professors (all of whom except Bob Solomon wear slacks and a OCBD minimum), but you might run into the various federal judges who are on campus daily, the Senators who drop by on occasion, the local dignitaries who love throwing money at Chem, or practicing lawyers who want to give us jobs, ALL OF WHOM ARE WEARING SUITS AND TIES. Act the part; dress the part. People will take you more seriously.

Yeah, Imma wear jeans.

+1

I'll compromise and wear a nice casual dress. I'd rather be comfortable.

thatgumyoulike

Postby thatgumyoulike » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:23 pm

Anyone else only going Saturday for ASW?

Observant_Poster

Postby Observant_Poster » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:50 am

I arrived a couple of hours ago and first impressions are:

This city is quiet! Almost eerie quiet. Yeah I know it is night time and all, but the majority of the roads were empty. I drove around the campus a bit and it seems like a big school but was also very quiet. The law school looked nice from the outside and the students I saw walking around were all smiles, which I hope is a good sign.

Anyone else depressed after getting their official award and seeing how much it is still going to cost?

callmemaybe84

Postby callmemaybe84 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:59 am

Observant_Poster wrote:I arrived a couple of hours ago and first impressions are:

This city is quiet! Almost eerie quiet. Yeah I know it is night time and all, but the majority of the roads were empty. I drove around the campus a bit and it seems like a big school but was also very quiet. The law school looked nice from the outside and the students I saw walking around were all smiles, which I hope is a good sign.

Anyone else depressed after getting their official award and seeing how much it is still going to cost?

Irvine is the quietest city you'll ever live in, mate. Great place to go to school, but it's the definition of a quiet suburb.

countmein

Postby countmein » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:16 am

anticule wrote:Hey guys..

I got waitlisted this morning.. I'm a California native and I've been accepted into some schools in the T25 with $$$(don't want to name the schools)...I went to UCI undergrad and would love to stay in California...

Now I just wanted to see what you guys would do to try to get off the waitlist in my situation? Thanks!

This:
Proposed Steps:

1. Immediately write a letter to the Dean of Admissions informing him or her that you are excited about the opportunity of attending the law school and why you want to attend that specific school (e.g. a specific program, concentration, specialty, etc.). If it is true, inform him or her that the law school is your top school and will attend if you are granted admission.

Also, inform him or her of any recent developments (e.g., any awards or scholarships, good grades you recently received, great recent work or community experience, etc.). It is important that you clearly specify any recent developments and why that enhances your original application. Do not simply summarize your submitted application.

The letter should be less than one page and should be very simple, clear, and to the point. Overall, exercise good judgment when preparing this letter. More importantly, absolutely no mistakes! Remember, there is no margin of error. Make absolutely sure your materials are "perfect."

2. Find an alumnus or alumna who graduated from that particular law school and ask if they will write you a letter of support. It is vital that you be able to succinctly communicate your desire and strengths to this potential supporter. You should be ready to overnight mail or email them your application materials as a .pdf so they can get a better sense of your application.

3. Obtain an additional letter of recommendation and submit it. It should focus on your intellectual prowess. In other words a, "this person is brilliant and will do very well at your school" type of letter. This letter can come from a professor, advisor, administrator, employer, or member of the legal community.

4. Contact organizations at that law school and see if they are willing to support you in your quest to gain admission. Although I abhor colloquialisms, I must state that this step is a bit “iffy” because the responsiveness from these groups varies widely. It does not, however, hurt to ask.

Finally, do all of this as soon as possible. Your letter should be faxed and sent to the school via overnight mail, not e-mailed, the minute you are informed that you have been placed on the wait list. I admit that I am somewhat "old school" in terms of delivery. But whatever method you utilize, please be cognizant of the fact that time is of the essence.

andres

Postby andres » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:01 am

This question is for current UCI students. Where do most students live their first year? and how's parking?

ChaseInk

Postby ChaseInk » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:20 pm

andres wrote:This question is for current UCI students. Where do most students live their first year? and how's parking?

This question has been addressed several times in the past. Scroll/search through this forum.

anticule

Postby anticule » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:22 pm

countmein wrote:
anticule wrote:Hey guys..

I got waitlisted this morning.. I'm a California native and I've been accepted into some schools in the T25 with $$$(don't want to name the schools)...I went to UCI undergrad and would love to stay in California...

Now I just wanted to see what you guys would do to try to get off the waitlist in my situation? Thanks!

This:
Proposed Steps:

1. Immediately write a letter to the Dean of Admissions informing him or her that you are excited about the opportunity of attending the law school and why you want to attend that specific school (e.g. a specific program, concentration, specialty, etc.). If it is true, inform him or her that the law school is your top school and will attend if you are granted admission.

Also, inform him or her of any recent developments (e.g., any awards or scholarships, good grades you recently received, great recent work or community experience, etc.). It is important that you clearly specify any recent developments and why that enhances your original application. Do not simply summarize your submitted application.

The letter should be less than one page and should be very simple, clear, and to the point. Overall, exercise good judgment when preparing this letter. More importantly, absolutely no mistakes! Remember, there is no margin of error. Make absolutely sure your materials are "perfect."

2. Find an alumnus or alumna who graduated from that particular law school and ask if they will write you a letter of support. It is vital that you be able to succinctly communicate your desire and strengths to this potential supporter. You should be ready to overnight mail or email them your application materials as a .pdf so they can get a better sense of your application.

3. Obtain an additional letter of recommendation and submit it. It should focus on your intellectual prowess. In other words a, "this person is brilliant and will do very well at your school" type of letter. This letter can come from a professor, advisor, administrator, employer, or member of the legal community.

4. Contact organizations at that law school and see if they are willing to support you in your quest to gain admission. Although I abhor colloquialisms, I must state that this step is a bit “iffy” because the responsiveness from these groups varies widely. It does not, however, hurt to ask.

Finally, do all of this as soon as possible. Your letter should be faxed and sent to the school via overnight mail, not e-mailed, the minute you are informed that you have been placed on the wait list. I admit that I am somewhat "old school" in terms of delivery. But whatever method you utilize, please be cognizant of the fact that time is of the essence.

Should the LOR be sent through LSAC or just like the LOCI?

swordking90

Postby swordking90 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:24 pm

Just withdrew. 135k back into the pot. Hope one/a few of y'all get it!

helterskelter

Postby helterskelter » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:48 am

Al, if you are on this forum, calm down and don't ever do that in a law school class again.

Hyee

Postby Hyee » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:02 am

helterskelter wrote:Al, if you are on this forum, calm down and don't ever do that in a law school class again.

Is that the guy that wouldn't stop raising his hand? Annoying

bananasplit19

Postby bananasplit19 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:12 am

Hyee wrote:
helterskelter wrote:Al, if you are on this forum, calm down and don't ever do that in a law school class again.

If you ain't gunnin', you ain't tryin'. :roll:

I had to split from ASW early, but I was really impressed by everything I saw. Dean Chem's welcome address almost had me drinking the Kool Aid by itself, but conversations with current students and staff make me believe that this really is the real deal. Barring a Godfather offer from Northwestern in the next few weeks, I'm ready to get some Anteater apparel. 8)

js567

Postby js567 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:19 am

I found out I was waitlisted today. I wish I had better news for my first post. Congrats to those of you who made it in.

ammanley

Postby ammanley » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:38 am

Irvine must have hired professional marketers or something cause they got their act down. Best ASW presentations I've seen. Really genuine students. Hoping to get a little more $ to get me out of Grad PLUS range, if so I'll be picking up some of that anteater swag too ;)

ChaseInk

Postby ChaseInk » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:00 am

Hyee wrote:

Is that the guy who raised asked questions during Fed Courts this morning? Unfortunate that he has that reputation already.

countmein

Postby countmein » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:05 am

He's just eager...don't kill his buzz just yet. I'm sure he'll learn.

Jonathk1

Postby Jonathk1 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:08 am

Has anyone received need-based grants?

b123

Postby b123 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:51 am

You. I like you.
Last edited by b123 on Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

boblawlob

Postby boblawlob » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:08 am

I like how Dean Chem ignored him after calling on him twice and Al was left hanging.

twenty

Postby twenty » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:25 am

Who was that guy that was raising his hand?

Pitchfork mob time tomorrow, folks.

boblawlob

Postby boblawlob » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:30 am

twentypercentmore wrote:Who was that guy that was raising his hand?

Drinking game for tmrw night:

# of times Al raises his hand in mock class = # of pints of beer/shots or w.e everyone must drink at the late night gathering on Saturday

bettercallsaul91

Postby bettercallsaul91 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:53 am

boblawlob wrote:

# of times Al raises his hand in mock class = # of pints of beer/shots or w.e everyone must drink at the late night gathering on Saturday

Yes.

superhopefulwoo

Postby superhopefulwoo » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:05 am

bettercallsaul91 wrote:
boblawlob wrote:

Yes.

+1

ammanley

Postby ammanley » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:14 pm

superhopefulwoo wrote:
bettercallsaul91 wrote:
boblawlob wrote:

Yes.

+1

In mock class now, red alert

slowboat

Postby slowboat » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:44 pm

Don't mean to break up the fun...but WL today via snail mail.

2.9/170

Somewhat surprised, as last year I applied later than I did this year and was admitted with 15k/yr. Kinda bummed as I was starting to warm up to the idea of using a UCI admit to move back home. Oh well.

Probably gonna withdraw and ride out the Penn WL. Enjoy the Vine!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”