UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
LaurenAyn
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:15 am

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby LaurenAyn » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:21 pm

UCI just increased my scholarship to $50K/year! I honestly only applied there thinking I'd only consider it if they gave me a full ride, which they basically did. I'm from the East Coast and know nothing about UCI other than it's new and so far it's doing well in the rankings, but I've heard pros as well as cons. I'm not sure I want to practice in CA, so I want a degree from somewhere that could land me a job on either coast. But with an offering of $150,000, this is definitely something to consider.

Also seriously considering Emory ($30K/year), Vanderbilt ($25K/year), Wake Forest ($38K/year), L&C ($25K/year), and GW ($15K/year). Still waiting on a couple more but I don't expect the other offers to be any better than what I already have.

My stats: LSAT = 166 GPA = 3.83
Area of law considering: public interest, health law, civil rights/liberties, constitutional law
Political leaning: left :)

What do you all think I should do? Is UCI worth considering? I'd need to find time to fly out to Cali sometime soon to visit.

Big Dog
Posts: 1191
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Big Dog » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:29 pm

I'm a HUGE fan of UCI and what they are doing, but would not assume that any degree below the T14 is portable. Tuition-free, however, would enable you to locate anywhere you want.

User avatar
boblawlob
Posts: 524
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby boblawlob » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:48 pm

LaurenAyn wrote:UCI just increased my scholarship to $50K/year! I honestly only applied there thinking I'd only consider it if they gave me a full ride, which they basically did. I'm from the East Coast and know nothing about UCI other than it's new and so far it's doing well in the rankings, but I've heard pros as well as cons. I'm not sure I want to practice in CA, so I want a degree from somewhere that could land me a job on either coast. But with an offering of $150,000, this is definitely something to consider.

Also seriously considering Emory ($30K/year), Vanderbilt ($25K/year), Wake Forest ($38K/year), L&C ($25K/year), and GW ($15K/year). Still waiting on a couple more but I don't expect the other offers to be any better than what I already have.

My stats: LSAT = 166 GPA = 3.83
Area of law considering: public interest, health law, civil rights/liberties, constitutional law
Political leaning: left :)

What do you all think I should do? Is UCI worth considering? I'd need to find time to fly out to Cali sometime soon to visit.

Not really giving you advice, but if you're a liberal who is interested in con law then UCI is a great place for you (assuming Dean Chem teaches con law classes).

User avatar
Dmini7
Posts: 725
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:20 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Dmini7 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:06 pm

LaurenAyn wrote:UCI just increased my scholarship to $50K/year! I honestly only applied there thinking I'd only consider it if they gave me a full ride, which they basically did. I'm from the East Coast and know nothing about UCI other than it's new and so far it's doing well in the rankings, but I've heard pros as well as cons. I'm not sure I want to practice in CA, so I want a degree from somewhere that could land me a job on either coast. But with an offering of $150,000, this is definitely something to consider.

Also seriously considering Emory ($30K/year), Vanderbilt ($25K/year), Wake Forest ($38K/year), L&C ($25K/year), and GW ($15K/year). Still waiting on a couple more but I don't expect the other offers to be any better than what I already have.

My stats: LSAT = 166 GPA = 3.83
Area of law considering: public interest, health law, civil rights/liberties, constitutional law
Political leaning: left :)

What do you all think I should do? Is UCI worth considering? I'd need to find time to fly out to Cali sometime soon to visit.


I think you will be in at Cornell if you applied there. I would then try to use all your offers to get money from them(assuming they don't give you any). If you are not sure you want to work in California, I don't think UCI is a great choice. With that said, a full ride means you get an education for free, and that is something that is hard to turn down, especially if it is a quality education. Anyways, 3 years is a long time, you may find out you love Cali and want to work there.

User avatar
99.9luft
Posts: 1244
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby 99.9luft » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:23 pm

If you are not sure you want to work in California, I don't think UCI is a great choice.


this.

User avatar
gitguy
Posts: 264
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:01 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby gitguy » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:33 pm

In light of the big offers going out to those with T-20 numbers, and the fact that they keep making unsolicited increases on those offers despite not having responded to half of applicants tells me that apps are way down for UCI and they are really trying to lock those numbers in.

Thoughts?

superhopefulwoo
Posts: 181
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:40 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby superhopefulwoo » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:41 pm

LaurenAyn wrote:UCI just increased my scholarship to $50K/year! I honestly only applied there thinking I'd only consider it if they gave me a full ride, which they basically did. I'm from the East Coast and know nothing about UCI other than it's new and so far it's doing well in the rankings, but I've heard pros as well as cons. I'm not sure I want to practice in CA, so I want a degree from somewhere that could land me a job on either coast. But with an offering of $150,000, this is definitely something to consider.

Also seriously considering Emory ($30K/year), Vanderbilt ($25K/year), Wake Forest ($38K/year), L&C ($25K/year), and GW ($15K/year). Still waiting on a couple more but I don't expect the other offers to be any better than what I already have.


My stats: LSAT = 166 GPA = 3.83
Area of law considering: public interest, health law, civil rights/liberties, constitutional law
Political leaning: left :)




What do you all think I should do? Is UCI worth considering? I'd need to find time to fly out to Cali sometime soon to visit.

What was your original offer if you don't mind me asking?

User avatar
yupyup
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:00 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby yupyup » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:23 pm

Also got an increase yesterday. 10k/yr to 30k/yr. :D

nba101790
Posts: 475
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:05 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby nba101790 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:23 pm

Given all these bumps, I think it's a little off-putting as someone who submitted to UCI in mid-Jan and hasn't heard a peep since.

Jonathk1
Posts: 113
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:56 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Jonathk1 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:25 pm

nba101790 wrote:Given all these bumps, I think it's a little off-putting as someone who submitted to UCI in mid-Jan and hasn't heard a peep since.


Submitted application or submitted a letter to increase scholarship?

nba101790
Posts: 475
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:05 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby nba101790 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:25 pm

Application.

User avatar
Dmini7
Posts: 725
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:20 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Dmini7 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:27 pm

nba101790 wrote:Given all these bumps, I think it's a little off-putting as someone who submitted to UCI in mid-Jan and hasn't heard a peep since.


I think you should be in. It looks like they are shooting for a 165 or 166 median LSAT, and your GPA is probably above their suspected median. You may have to wait a little longer, as they may be trying to solidify that LSAT before throwing out more acceptances to 164's but I think you will be ok (unless their is some huge error in your application).

User avatar
99.9luft
Posts: 1244
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby 99.9luft » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:32 pm

has anyone been bumped with a 165? from what i saw so far, it's the 166+ crowd getting bumped up.

nba101790
Posts: 475
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:05 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby nba101790 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:33 pm

Dmini7 wrote:
nba101790 wrote:Given all these bumps, I think it's a little off-putting as someone who submitted to UCI in mid-Jan and hasn't heard a peep since.


I think you should be in. It looks like they are shooting for a 165 or 166 median LSAT, and your GPA is probably above their suspected median. You may have to wait a little longer, as they may be trying to solidify that LSAT before throwing out more acceptances to 164's but I think you will be ok (unless their is some huge error in your application).


That's what I"m thinking as well. I don't see any huge errors offhand since I've got good acceptances/WLs elsewhere; just surprised that UCI hasn't sent out a decision yet as I would figure that I'd be in the running for at least some scholarship money from them.

I may just be getting antsy.

Jonathk1
Posts: 113
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:56 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Jonathk1 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:33 pm

99.9luft wrote:has anyone been bumped with a 165? from what i saw so far, it's the 166+ crowd getting bumped up.


I know of at least 1 person who has been bumped <166.

User avatar
Dmini7
Posts: 725
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:20 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Dmini7 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:34 pm

99.9luft wrote:has anyone been bumped with a 165? from what i saw so far, it's the 166+ crowd getting bumped up.


You may be right. I just remember a lot of initial offerings came to individuals with a 165, and I couldn't find many 164's with offers who didn't also have a high GPA.

nba101790 wrote:
Dmini7 wrote:
nba101790 wrote:Given all these bumps, I think it's a little off-putting as someone who submitted to UCI in mid-Jan and hasn't heard a peep since.


I think you should be in. It looks like they are shooting for a 165 or 166 median LSAT, and your GPA is probably above their suspected median. You may have to wait a little longer, as they may be trying to solidify that LSAT before throwing out more acceptances to 164's but I think you will be ok (unless their is some huge error in your application).


That's what I"m thinking as well. I don't see any huge errors offhand since I've got good acceptances/WLs elsewhere; just surprised that UCI hasn't sent out a decision yet as I would figure that I'd be in the running for at least some scholarship money from them.

I may just be getting antsy.


I assume you also applied to UCLA and USC? I would imagine those schools will take much longer to get you a decision than UCI :P. But I got my decision from UCI when I no longer thought about it. I think the lack of a status checker helped in that sense.

User avatar
teiswei
Posts: 695
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:50 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby teiswei » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:38 pm

99.9luft wrote:has anyone been bumped with a 165? from what i saw so far, it's the 166+ crowd getting bumped up.

I got 5k solicited. One other user on here with my exact numbers 3.3/165 got bumped from 0 to 45k

nba101790
Posts: 475
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:05 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby nba101790 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:39 pm

teiswei wrote:
99.9luft wrote:has anyone been bumped with a 165? from what i saw so far, it's the 166+ crowd getting bumped up.

I got 5k solicited. One other user on here with my exact numbers 3.3/165 got bumped from 0 to 45k


^That was the one that threw me a little bit haha.

User avatar
gitguy
Posts: 264
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:01 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby gitguy » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:40 pm

nba101790 wrote:Given all these bumps, I think it's a little off-putting as someone who submitted to UCI in mid-Jan and hasn't heard a peep since.


I'm definitely feeling put off. I applied on 10/2.

User avatar
Dmini7
Posts: 725
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:20 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Dmini7 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:43 pm

gitguy wrote:
nba101790 wrote:Given all these bumps, I think it's a little off-putting as someone who submitted to UCI in mid-Jan and hasn't heard a peep since.


I'm definitely feeling put off. I applied on 10/2.


And they are your UG institution? That is quite strange. Did you send a LOCI?

edit: On an unrelated sidenote... are you going to Chapman's scholar's weekend?

User avatar
gitguy
Posts: 264
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:01 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby gitguy » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:49 pm

Dmini7 wrote:
gitguy wrote:
nba101790 wrote:Given all these bumps, I think it's a little off-putting as someone who submitted to UCI in mid-Jan and hasn't heard a peep since.


I'm definitely feeling put off. I applied on 10/2.


And they are your UG institution? That is quite strange. Did you send a LOCI?

edit: On an unrelated sidenote... are you going to Chapman's scholar's weekend?


They are my UG. I have e-mailed the assistant dean that I met with in person. I'm thinking of sending over another more direct letter.

As much as I like being pampered, I probably will not be attending Scholars Weekend, however I did attend an open house back in November which made the school pretty appealing. All in all, still only a narrow chance I will attend. Need to hear back from UCI to make a decision on attendance overall.

User avatar
Dmini7
Posts: 725
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:20 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Dmini7 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:52 pm

Yeah, when I rsvp'ed it was my only acceptance. Now I have a lot of offers I would choose over it, but I still want to go and give it a chance. With that said, that top 1/3rd stipulation scared me off before I was even accepted.

I think you will receive good news though. I would be pretty surprised if they did not take you.

User avatar
anteater1
Posts: 610
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:37 am

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby anteater1 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:58 pm

nba101790 wrote:
teiswei wrote:
99.9luft wrote:has anyone been bumped with a 165? from what i saw so far, it's the 166+ crowd getting bumped up.

I got 5k solicited. One other user on here with my exact numbers 3.3/165 got bumped from 0 to 45k


^That was the one that threw me a little bit haha.


URM?

Also someone in this thread got a big bump with a sub-3.0, figure they must be URM as well.

User avatar
Dmini7
Posts: 725
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:20 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Dmini7 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:01 pm

anteater1 wrote:
nba101790 wrote:
teiswei wrote:
99.9luft wrote:has anyone been bumped with a 165? from what i saw so far, it's the 166+ crowd getting bumped up.

I got 5k solicited. One other user on here with my exact numbers 3.3/165 got bumped from 0 to 45k


^That was the one that threw me a little bit haha.


URM?

Also someone in this thread got a big bump with a sub-3.0, figure they must be URM as well.


You may be talking about me. I got a huge bump from 0-40k/yr. I am a URM though so I don't really count my results. I also wasn't a sub 3 (164/3.2), and I had solicited them for more money. I think the current group is full of people who did not ask for an increase.

User avatar
gitguy
Posts: 264
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:01 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby gitguy » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:06 pm

Dmini7 wrote:Yeah, when I rsvp'ed it was my only acceptance. Now I have a lot of offers I would choose over it, but I still want to go and give it a chance. With that said, that top 1/3rd stipulation scared me off before I was even accepted.

I think you will receive good news though. I would be pretty surprised if they did not take you.


Thanks for the vote of confidence. I don't like the stipulation either, it's a bit of a bait and switch. Ending up paying out of pocket big for a chance at their weak employment numbers sounds like a bad deal.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”