UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Beachbum89

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Beachbum89 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:52 am

For those waiting to hear back acceptances started coming out right about this time last year. I applied towards the end of October and was accepted by email at the beginning of December last year. I ended up choosing UCI so if any of you have questions feel free to shoot me a message.

scretcher

Postby scretcher » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:44 am

hey everyone, checking in. 166/3.55. I went to UCI for undergrad, so if anyone has questions about living in irvine/costa mesa/newport send me a message!

Mdenis1

Postby Mdenis1 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:48 am

DeusExCyber wrote:I thought I should share a story of my friend (of course with his permission). To him (and me as well), UCI Law is simply a law school that is different. UCI Law really had all to lose in accepting him... but they did... My friend can describe it better in his own words though:
https://www.facebook.com/DyspraxiaUSA/posts/10151063115904597

I'll create another thread in UCI Law 2016 Class when that is created. I hope you enjoy his story. He has personally inspired me and others here at UCI Law...

I can't open the link, what is it about??!

WhatOurBodiesAreFor

Postby WhatOurBodiesAreFor » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:49 pm

In via email, 167, 3.74

anteater1

Postby anteater1 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:52 pm

In via email as well 3.5/167, my UG.

MJLE16

Postby MJLE16 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:59 pm

Accepted

Does anyone know what their class size might look like this year?

WhatOurBodiesAreFor

Postby WhatOurBodiesAreFor » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:04 pm

MJLE16 wrote:Accepted

Also what their ranking might look like? :)

BlaqBella

Postby BlaqBella » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:11 pm

scretcher wrote:hey everyone, checking in. 166/3.55. I went to UCI for undergrad, so if anyone has questions about living in irvine/costa mesa/newport send me a message!

Yes, where can one find housing in and around UCI-Irvine? I'm applying to this school next year, but have heard housing is so expensive in Irvine. How do students outside the area find decent places to rent? Any particular neighborhood one should consider over the rest? Thanks!!!!

Observant_Poster

Postby Observant_Poster » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:16 pm

I'm in!
160/166/3.59

Any word on scholarship info?

teiswei

Postby teiswei » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:19 pm

WhatOurBodiesAreFor wrote:Also what their ranking might look like?

Based on this:

And comparing it to the current 25/75s of US News Rankings, my guess is T30... It's difficult to say given it's so new and that the GPA 25 is lower than most T30 but their entire LSAT 25/75 is better than the schools ranked >18.

Ultimately, we will see. I am hoping they are T25 in this year's rankings and that I get in this time :D

MJLE16

Postby MJLE16 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:29 pm

teiswei wrote:
WhatOurBodiesAreFor wrote:Also what their ranking might look like?

Based on this:

And comparing it to the current 25/75s of US News Rankings, my guess is T30... It's difficult to say given it's so new and that the GPA 25 is lower than most T30 but their entire LSAT 25/75 is better than the schools ranked >18.

Ultimately, we will see. I am hoping they are T25 in this year's rankings and that I get in this time :D

I don't believe that is the most updated info.
http://www.law.uci.edu/prospective/cons ... nancialaid

teiswei

Postby teiswei » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:35 pm

MJLE16 wrote:I don't believe that is the most updated info.

Sorry about that, I hate that LSAC isn't updated.

Anyways, the numbers are pretty much the same (plus .04 on 25th GPA and minus 1 on 25th LSAT). I stand by my T30 in light of this info. I think they will probably be T25 because of their rockstar faculty and outplacing Y in clerkships. Not to mention this year's graduating class' bar passage rate (skewed because the small class size and full scholly for all first class).

twenty

Postby twenty » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:46 pm

Housing is expensive compared to, like, Carson City, NV, but it's pretty manageable otherwise.

A few things worth noting about Irvine is that it's basically homogeneously nice -- frankly, almost boringly nice. There's no crime (ranked like 3rd safest city in the US), filled with hard-working Asian families, eating out is fairly expensive, and the weather is nice enough to where you can bike to school virtually every day of the year. It's 60 degrees right outside right now, and it hasn't rained for about a week... and it's December.

Newport Beach/Laguna Beach are not worth it unless you're making 100k+ a year and you have tons of extra money to throw around. While slightly better than Irvine in terms of QoL (at least in my opinion), it's not worth the double/triple rental costs right now.

Or, you can go the other way and try and save on rent by picking somewhere like Santa Ana. I live in Santa Ana currently, and I'm not sure I'd recommend it to a single white female, per se. I've never felt like I was immediate in danger, but occasionally I'll get screamed at by some homeless guy or catch some kid siphoning gas tanks. That said, if you gave me the choice between Santa Ana and a random unknown location in Los Angeles, I'd take Santa Ana every time, but if you gave me a choice between Santa Ana and Irvine (one I don't have right now), I'd for sure take Irvine.

EDIT> If you're looking for a place in Irvine, I'd shoot for Campus or Jamboree, maybe University Park. Turtle Rock and anything south of the 73 is too expensive.

BlaqBella

Postby BlaqBella » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:00 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:Housing is expensive compared to, like, Carson City, NV, but it's pretty manageable otherwise.

A few things worth noting about Irvine is that it's basically homogeneously nice -- frankly, almost boringly nice. There's no crime (ranked like 3rd safest city in the US), filled with hard-working Asian families, eating out is fairly expensive, and the weather is nice enough to where you can bike to school virtually every day of the year. It's 60 degrees right outside right now, and it hasn't rained for about a week... and it's December.

Newport Beach/Laguna Beach are not worth it unless you're making 100k+ a year and you have tons of extra money to throw around. While slightly better than Irvine in terms of QoL (at least in my opinion), it's not worth the double/triple rental costs right now.

Or, you can go the other way and try and save on rent by picking somewhere like Santa Ana. I live in Santa Ana currently, and I'm not sure I'd recommend it to a single white female, per se. I've never felt like I was immediate in danger, but occasionally I'll get screamed at by some homeless guy or catch some kid siphoning gas tanks. That said, if you gave me the choice between Santa Ana and a random unknown location in Los Angeles, I'd take Santa Ana every time, but if you gave me a choice between Santa Ana and Irvine (one I don't have right now), I'd for sure take Irvine.

EDIT> If you're looking for a place in Irvine, I'd shoot for Campus or Jamboree, maybe University Park. Turtle Rock and anything south of the 73 is too expensive.

Thanks. What should one expect to pay in rent in Santa Ana, Jambore, University Park, etc. respectively?

I also assume a car is needed in Irvine?

MJLE16

Postby MJLE16 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:03 pm

teiswei wrote:

Anyways, the numbers are pretty much the same (plus .04 on 25th GPA and minus 1 on 25th LSAT). I stand by my T30 in light of this info. I think they will probably be T25 because of their rockstar faculty and outplacing Y in clerkships. Not to mention this year's graduating class' bar passage rate (skewed because the small class size and full scholly for all first class).

Yup, they are pretty much the same...class size is obviously increasing. I wish I could gauge how large the class was going to be for us.

teiswei

Postby teiswei » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:16 pm

MJLE16 wrote:
teiswei wrote:

Yup, they are pretty much the same...class size is obviously increasing. I wish I could gauge how large the class was going to be for us.

I am guessing 120-150... It likely depends on the applicant pool. They will try to build the largest class without changing their 25th/75th too much

Edit: Unless it's for the better
Last edited by teiswei on Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

twenty

Postby twenty » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:19 pm

BlaqBella wrote:
twentypercentmore wrote:Housing is expensive compared to, like, Carson City, NV, but it's pretty manageable otherwise.

Thanks. What should one expect to pay in rent in Santa Ana, Jambore, University Park, etc. respectively?

Santa Ana you can probably find something for about $1,000 for a one bedroom with some searching. You'll definitely need a car, and it's about a 30 minute commute in the morning. Anecdotal, my friend is renting a room and a bathroom in Santa Ana for 400 a month.

Jamboree (Irvine) almost everything will be 1,500 for a one bedroom. There are several new apartment developments that were built a few years back. It's about a 10 minute commute by car in the morning. University Park is about the same.

All that said, though, I'd definitely opt for graduate housing through UCI. You can get a one bedroom for less than 1,000 as long as you don't mind living on campus.

BlaqBella

Postby BlaqBella » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:24 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:
BlaqBella wrote:

Santa Ana you can probably find something for about $1,000 for a one bedroom with some searching. You'll definitely need a car, and it's about a 30 minute commute in the morning. Anecdotal, my friend is renting a room and a bathroom in Santa Ana for 400 a month.

Jamboree (Irvine) almost everything will be 1,500 for a one bedroom. There are several new apartment developments that were built a few years back. It's about a 10 minute commute by car in the morning. University Park is about the same.

All that said, though, I'd definitely opt for graduate housing through UCI. You can get a one bedroom for less than 1,000 as long as you don't mind living on campus.

Thanks so much!! I need to tell my friend this. She commutes almost daily (3 hours at minimum to and fro) from Irvine to an outskirt suburb of Los Angeles to get to classes. Not good.

twenty

Postby twenty » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:27 pm

Haha, to commute to UCI? I don't think I'd live in Los Angeles for free... :P

BlaqBella

Postby BlaqBella » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:31 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:Haha, to commute to UCI? I don't think I'd live in Los Angeles for free... :P

Yes, sorry, that's what I meant. Lives in surrounding LA, commutes to UCI for law school. Anyway, she has convinced me to apply and head out west to Cali for law school. Here's to hoping I get into at least one of the 5 Cali schools I'm applying to. :)

Beachbum89

Postby Beachbum89 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:51 pm

MJLE16 wrote:Accepted

I heard from someone pretty high up in administration at the law school that they don't expect the class size next year to be significantly bigger than this years class. Ultimately they want a class size of 180-200 but I think that might have to wait until the new law school building is actually built. My guess would be next years class will be anywhere from 120-150 depending on the quality of the applicant pool.

Congrats to everyone that got in this morning!

efresh88

Postby efresh88 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:07 pm

In via email this morning :D

3.87/165 URM MA

anteater1

Postby anteater1 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:57 pm

Just to be clear UCI will be ranked by US News this year correct?

I'm getting conflicting answers on this.

And does anyone know generally when said rankings come out?

teiswei

Postby teiswei » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:04 pm

anteater1 wrote:Just to be clear UCI will be ranked by US News this year correct?

I'm getting conflicting answers on this.

And does anyone know generally when said rankings come out?

I cannot answer the first question with certainty. The second, if based on previous years, mid-March-ish.

gitguy

Postby gitguy » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:14 pm

Come one, UCI! Show an alumnus some love! Can I see some submission dates? I was fast out of the gate and am dying to hear back.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”