UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Big Dog

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Big Dog » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:17 pm

ruskapoo:

am I reading correctly that UCI bumped it $5k for all three years, or just the first?

ruskapoo

Postby ruskapoo » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:13 pm

Big dog, it applies to all three years, so 135000 total

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:47 pm

nice, congrats.

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:55 pm

how many of you sent your SIR already?

lt_universe

Postby lt_universe » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:57 pm

Went from no scholly to $45k/year out of nowhere!

ruskapoo

Postby ruskapoo » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:14 pm

I'm planning on SIRing soon...basically just waiting to hear back from USC :(

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:23 pm

ruskapoo wrote:I'm planning on SIRing soon...basically just waiting to hear back from USC :(

that makes sense. yeah i'm waiting for UCLA and USC, the only two schools that will make me consider not going to UCI.

I love that UCI does't require a deposit, too.

eav1277

Postby eav1277 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:24 pm

ruskapoo wrote:I'm planning on SIRing soon...basically just waiting to hear back from USC :(

Im between Irvine and USC right now :( Ruskapoo would you take USC over Irvine? Or would it depend on scholly?

countmein

Postby countmein » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:42 pm

helterskelter wrote:I have shamelessly asked for more, so fingers crossed!

I'm thinking of doing the same. Do you mind sharing your stats? any advice on how I should approach this?
thanks.

Dmini7

Postby Dmini7 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:00 pm

eav1277 wrote:

Im between Irvine and USC right now :( Ruskapoo would you take USC over Irvine? Or would it depend on scholly?

I am waiting on USC before I go ahead and SIR. I am unsure how much money it would take for me to give up UCI though. I mean, USC is established, but UCI has intangibles that I really, really like. :? So, maybe USC will make the decision easy for me and reject me :lol:

helterskelter

Postby helterskelter » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:20 pm

countmein wrote:
helterskelter wrote:I have shamelessly asked for more, so fingers crossed!

I'm thinking of doing the same. Do you mind sharing your stats? any advice on how I should approach this?
thanks.

I told them what my other offers are, that I would rather attend UCI, and I need more to justify going to UCI. I'm afraid they might think the schools that offered me significantly more money aren't peers and therefore they don't need to make a comparable offer, but without accreditation, I don't think that's as valid for UCI as other schools.

I am median GPA, 75th LSAT, and since it seems some people who didn't get anything/less initially now have higher offers than mine, I have high hopes.

ruskapoo

Postby ruskapoo » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:40 pm

Dmini7 wrote:
eav1277 wrote:

I am waiting on USC before I go ahead and SIR. I am unsure how much money it would take for me to give up UCI though. I mean, USC is established, but UCI has intangibles that I really, really like. :? So, maybe USC will make the decision easy for me and reject me :lol:

This is basically exactly how I feel. Haha

Oh and I was waitlisted at UCLA and withdrew

eav1277

Postby eav1277 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:00 am

ruskapoo wrote:
Dmini7 wrote:
eav1277 wrote:

UCI has offered me a full scholly (PI fellowship). I am in at USC with a half scholly. However, I am doing TFA. UCI will defer acceptance and scholly while USC will only defer the acceptance and claims they will try to match but cant guarantee the schools.

I am leaning towards UCI. Does that seem crazy to others or justifiable? Ultimately, I'm going to make my own decision but just wanted to see what others thought.

I feel like TLS in general is pretty negative regarding UCI (being on here so much it seeps in...scares me a bit).

ChaseInk

Postby ChaseInk » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:06 am

sportsaholic763 wrote:
ChaseInk wrote:
thatgumyoulike wrote:Email upping my scholly to 40k today. Still hoping for $ from UCLA or SC, but Irvine just made things interesting.

My class was the guaranteed 1/3 scholarship class, but everyone ended up getting bumped to at least 40% (if not more). We were told the reason behind the increased schollys was because of greater fundraising and donations. I thought it wasn't true, then I saw the numbers. Again, it's hard to understand until you're here how much clout Chem has in this community and how baller the development office is with pulling in money.

So, if we have already received a decent amount of money, after asking for it, should we ask again? Or is this just rude and over the top? Especially if numbers aren't that much, at all, above UCI's likely medians?

Your call, but that seems pushy to me.

ChaseInk

Postby ChaseInk » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:08 am

Dmini7 wrote:
eav1277 wrote:

If you want my thoughts on this, let me know. For me, it was down to USC or UCI (full rides at both) (I had offers at out of state T-14s, but I wanted to stay in SoCal) (Also, I'm a 2L at UCI).

ChaseInk

Postby ChaseInk » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:13 am

ruskapoo wrote:
Dmini7 wrote:
eav1277 wrote:

UCI has offered me a full scholly :D (PI fellowship). I am in at USC with a half scholly :( . However, I am doing TFA. UCI will defer acceptance and scholly while USC will only defer the acceptance and claims they will try to match but cant guarantee the schools.

I am leaning towards UCI. Does that seem crazy to others or justifiable? Ultimately, I'm going to make my own decision but just wanted to see what others thought.

I feel like TLS in general is pretty negative regarding UCI (being on here so much it seeps in...scares me a bit).

That answers it.

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:32 am

eav1277 wrote:
I feel like TLS in general is pretty negative regarding UCI

at first this really bugged me, but after a while i stopped noticing/minding it. Most UCI shit-talkers haven't researched it and/or just know one thing - to immaturely spew their rankings (i.e. "t-14 or bust") mantra and/or think that a regional school is automatically a TTT, which is also a narrow-minded, often invalid perspective.

as of now, i actually like that UCI is unranked (in a way, under the radar) because it attracts kids who are after the education and not after some stupid type of prestige like lay prestige/online forum prestige/ivy prestige, etc. Maybe i am biased, but i have a feeling that one doesn't end up at UCI "just cuz" - the school's non-traditional status and recent news buzz (clerking, bar passage) attracts the right people, who are still mindful of the risks and are willing to weigh them against these and other positives. Not everyone wants to do such homework or are willing to take the risk. We are, hence we are awesome. :lol:

TL;DR: shhh. UCI is awesome, don't tell anyone, and ignore the negativity of the ignoramuses.

ChaseInk

Postby ChaseInk » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:50 am

99.9luft wrote:
eav1277 wrote:

at first this really bugged me, but after a while i stopped noticing/minding it. Most UCI shit-talkers haven't researched it and/or just know one thing - to immaturely spew their rankings (i.e. "t-14 or bust") mantra and/or think that a regional school is automatically a TTT, which is also a narrow-minded, often invalid perspective.

as of now, i actually like that UCI is unranked (in a way, under the radar) because it attracts kids who are after the education and not after some stupid type of prestige like lay prestige/online forum prestige/ivy prestige, etc. Maybe i am biased, but i have a feeling that one doesn't end up at UCI "just cuz" - the school's non-traditional status and recent news buzz (clerking, bar passage) attracts the right people, who are still mindful of the risks and are willing to weigh them against these and other positives. Not everyone wants to do such homework or are willing to take the risk. We are, hence we are awesome. :lol:

TL;DR: shhh. UCI is awesome, don't tell anyone, and ignore the negativity of the ignoramuses.

This is basically the mentality at UCI

teiswei

Postby teiswei » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:56 am

99.9luft wrote:how many of you sent your SIR already?

I did. It's not binding so you can always back out if something amazing comes up. I just figured I'm 95%, I may as well help them solidify numbers.

ETA: don't take this as me not excited because I'm stoked! I love the school and the fit outweighs any "risks" involved.

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:04 am

teiswei wrote:
99.9luft wrote:how many of you sent your SIR already?

I did. It's not binding so you can always back out if something amazing comes up. I just figured I'm 95%, I may as well help them solidify numbers.

ETA: don't take this as me not excited because I'm stoked! I love the school and the fit outweighs any "risks" involved.

+1 to every single thing you just said :D

superhopefulwoo

Postby superhopefulwoo » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:12 am

ruskapoo wrote:Unsolicited increase as well...from 40,000 to 45,000 a year.
I am almost definitely attending at this point

+1!!! Am I horrible for wanting to negotiate higher? I mean their tuition is 55k so it's really expensive with OC col. But that is insanely generous of them!

zot1

Postby zot1 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:20 am

ChaseInk wrote:
99.9luft wrote:
eav1277 wrote:

I second that.

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:32 am

zot1 wrote:
ChaseInk wrote:
99.9luft wrote:
eav1277 wrote:

I second that.

hai guyz, can i haz a scholly bump?

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:18 am

ChaseInk wrote:
sportsaholic763 wrote:
ChaseInk wrote:
thatgumyoulike wrote:Email upping my scholly to 40k today. Still hoping for $ from UCLA or SC, but Irvine just made things interesting.

My class was the guaranteed 1/3 scholarship class, but everyone ended up getting bumped to at least 40% (if not more). We were told the reason behind the increased schollys was because of greater fundraising and donations. I thought it wasn't true, then I saw the numbers. Again, it's hard to understand until you're here how much clout Chem has in this community and how baller the development office is with pulling in money.

So, if we have already received a decent amount of money, after asking for it, should we ask again? Or is this just rude and over the top? Especially if numbers aren't that much, at all, above UCI's likely medians?

Your call, but that seems pushy to me.

I disagree. It is currently a students' market, and, with applications and applicants with high LSATs plummeting, schools are all pretty desperate to land the students who can help them maintain their medians. If you're above both medians, you are a treasured prospective student. Look at the huge increases people have been randomly getting in this thread (0K/year to 45K/year - good for the person but WTF?). This suggests that UCI either overestimated their appeal or are realizing they need people with certain numbers more or something. That's a very unusual unsolicited bump.

If you are worried about seeming pushy, wait a little while before asking again. Maybe some other schollies/decisions will come in that you can politely refer to in your email. Be very grateful in your request. But the bottom line is even if you come across as the pushiest person in the world, pushing for the highest scholarship you can get is still the right thing to do in this economy.

WhatOurBodiesAreFor

Postby WhatOurBodiesAreFor » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:02 am

Scholly bump! Such a nice email too. Every interaction I have with these folks is pleasant. They're rockin' it.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”