UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
zot1
Posts: 3109
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:53 am

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby zot1 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:38 pm

Jonathk1 wrote:Quick Q: Average $$ for need-based grants?
I read somewhere either on here or last year's UCI thread that UCI gave $5000 for 1st year, and $0 for 2nd/3rd?


I guess there was a misunderstanding about this before. But for incoming classes from now on, $5,000 and renewable for 2L and 3L years. However, feel free to give financial aid a call. The office is always happy to answer any questions you may have.

Jonathk1
Posts: 113
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:56 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Jonathk1 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:53 pm

zot1 wrote:
Jonathk1 wrote:Quick Q: Average $$ for need-based grants?
I read somewhere either on here or last year's UCI thread that UCI gave $5000 for 1st year, and $0 for 2nd/3rd?


I guess there was a misunderstanding about this before. But for incoming classes from now on, $5,000 and renewable for 2L and 3L years. However, feel free to give financial aid a call. The office is always happy to answer any questions you may have.


Thanks for the info! Is it up to $5000 for need-based grants? Or if you qualify for need-based grants, you receive $5000..?

I'll shoot the fafsa office a call.

User avatar
zot1
Posts: 3109
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:53 am

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby zot1 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:00 pm

Jonathk1 wrote:
zot1 wrote:
Jonathk1 wrote:Quick Q: Average $$ for need-based grants?
I read somewhere either on here or last year's UCI thread that UCI gave $5000 for 1st year, and $0 for 2nd/3rd?


I guess there was a misunderstanding about this before. But for incoming classes from now on, $5,000 and renewable for 2L and 3L years. However, feel free to give financial aid a call. The office is always happy to answer any questions you may have.


Thanks for the info! Is it up to $5000 for need-based grants? Or if you qualify for need-based grants, you receive $5000..?

I'll shoot the fafsa office a call.


Up to $5,000. If you qualify for all of it, you get it. Good luck!

User avatar
Dmini7
Posts: 725
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:20 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Dmini7 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:56 pm

UCI truly does reconsider scholarships. I was originally offered nothing and was reconsidered for 40k/yr. Honestly, UCI is exactly where I want to attend school due to personal family reasons, and only a generous offer from USC, Cornell, or somehow UVA will change that. So for those of you who were either lowballed or offered nothing, do not give up hope :).

User avatar
Chewbacca
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:28 am

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Chewbacca » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:43 pm

Dmini7 wrote:UCI truly does reconsider scholarships. I was originally offered nothing and was reconsidered for 40k/yr. Honestly, UCI is exactly where I want to attend school due to personal family reasons, and only a generous offer from USC, Cornell, or somehow UVA will change that. So for those of you who were either lowballed or offered nothing, do not give up hope :).


Mind if I ask how you went from $0 --> $40k/yr? Pretty impressive. Teach me please. :lol:

User avatar
eav1277
Posts: 375
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:58 am

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby eav1277 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:56 pm

Without starting a war, do you guys think it is likely/probable irvine will enter the rankings in the 20-30 range and stay there? I am considering irvine and usc right now but the thought of them not having a fixed ranking does scare me a bit. Thoughts from others considering irvine?

I have an amazing scholly so that mitigates the fear a lil but it's def still there.


Also. A question to Any current uci students. Did the 1st graduating class have any success in obtaining NorCal employment?

User avatar
Dmini7
Posts: 725
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:20 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Dmini7 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:47 pm

Chewbacca wrote:
Dmini7 wrote:UCI truly does reconsider scholarships. I was originally offered nothing and was reconsidered for 40k/yr. Honestly, UCI is exactly where I want to attend school due to personal family reasons, and only a generous offer from USC, Cornell, or somehow UVA will change that. So for those of you who were either lowballed or offered nothing, do not give up hope :).


Mind if I ask how you went from $0 --> $40k/yr? Pretty impressive. Teach me please. :lol:

I literally sent an email the day after hearing stating my interest in the faculty, the schools location and their mission. I also stated it was one of my top choices(which it really is) and explained why. Finally, I told them I did not anticipate qualifying for need based aid. My message was a few paragraphs long(so not too brief, but not overly long). I actually didn't anticipate it working at all because I was under the impression their median was a 165(since it appeared to be the LSAT of everyone getting money). I think the fact I expressed a direct interest in the school and emphasized how I wished to attend played a big role. That along with my emphasis and other scholarship offers played a role in them upping their offer.

Also i would like to note they actually offered me much more than my offers did. I used schools within the same market (think low tier 1 to even one TTT since it was a full ride). I felt my email may have been ineffective since I sent it while still disappointed, but apparently it worked. I hope others have good luck too, and sorry for the delay in the response(work, leadership banquet and other activities slowed me down :/).

User avatar
Chewbacca
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:28 am

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Chewbacca » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:58 pm

Dmini7 wrote:
Chewbacca wrote:
Dmini7 wrote:UCI truly does reconsider scholarships. I was originally offered nothing and was reconsidered for 40k/yr. Honestly, UCI is exactly where I want to attend school due to personal family reasons, and only a generous offer from USC, Cornell, or somehow UVA will change that. So for those of you who were either lowballed or offered nothing, do not give up hope :).


Mind if I ask how you went from $0 --> $40k/yr? Pretty impressive. Teach me please. :lol:

I literally sent an email the day after hearing stating my interest in the faculty, the schools location and their mission. I also stated it was one of my top choices(which it really is) and explained why. Finally, I told them I did not anticipate qualifying for need based aid. My message was a few paragraphs long(so not too brief, but not overly long). I actually didn't anticipate it working at all because I was under the impression their median was a 165(since it appeared to be the LSAT of everyone getting money). I think the fact I expressed a direct interest in the school and emphasized how I wished to attend played a big role. That along with my emphasis and other scholarship offers played a role in them upping their offer.

Also i would like to note they actually offered me much more than my offers did. I used schools within the same market (think low tier 1 to even one TTT since it was a full ride). I felt my email may have been ineffective since I sent it while still disappointed, but apparently it worked. I hope others have good luck too, and sorry for the delay in the response(work, leadership banquet and other activities slowed me down :/).

Awesome. Well congrats on the $$$$! And thanks for the response. Hope they're as generous to me.

Jonathk1
Posts: 113
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:56 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Jonathk1 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:24 pm

Close to 20 for first year, closer to mid 20-upper 20 for subsequent years in my opinion.

Nonetheless, it should place well into orange county if that is where you want to practice.
Last edited by Jonathk1 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
helterskelter
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:25 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby helterskelter » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:45 am

I received a letter (as you all probably did as well) that says, "UCI will continue to fund all first- and second-year students doing public interest work during the summer of 2013." What does this mean--summer stipend?

User avatar
zot1
Posts: 3109
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:53 am

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby zot1 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:43 am

helterskelter wrote:I received a letter (as you all probably did as well) that says, "UCI will continue to fund all first- and second-year students doing public interest work during the summer of 2013." What does this mean--summer stipend?


There are two types of summer stipends available to students working on PS and PI work over the summer. If you'd like more details, feel free to private message me- but yes, summer stipends are available.

User avatar
sportsaholic763
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 1:59 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby sportsaholic763 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:03 pm

Dmini7 wrote:
Chewbacca wrote:
Dmini7 wrote:UCI truly does reconsider scholarships. I was originally offered nothing and was reconsidered for 40k/yr. Honestly, UCI is exactly where I want to attend school due to personal family reasons, and only a generous offer from USC, Cornell, or somehow UVA will change that. So for those of you who were either lowballed or offered nothing, do not give up hope :).


Mind if I ask how you went from $0 --> $40k/yr? Pretty impressive. Teach me please. :lol:

I literally sent an email the day after hearing stating my interest in the faculty, the schools location and their mission. I also stated it was one of my top choices(which it really is) and explained why. Finally, I told them I did not anticipate qualifying for need based aid. My message was a few paragraphs long(so not too brief, but not overly long). I actually didn't anticipate it working at all because I was under the impression their median was a 165(since it appeared to be the LSAT of everyone getting money). I think the fact I expressed a direct interest in the school and emphasized how I wished to attend played a big role. That along with my emphasis and other scholarship offers played a role in them upping their offer.

Also i would like to note they actually offered me much more than my offers did. I used schools within the same market (think low tier 1 to even one TTT since it was a full ride). I felt my email may have been ineffective since I sent it while still disappointed, but apparently it worked. I hope others have good luck too, and sorry for the delay in the response(work, leadership banquet and other activities slowed me down :/).


I am in the same boat as you, I was hoping for scholly money and got none initially. I e-mailed immediately after, in similar style to how you describe your email, and they responded by saying, "Thank you for making UCI your top choice. We understand your financial concerns, etc. We will re-evaluate by the end of February."
Is there anything else I should do, or just wait it out?

For me, significant $$ = Class of 2016 UCI

Big Dog
Posts: 1191
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Big Dog » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:09 pm

^^wait it out at this point.

All law schools shower money on those applicants that they really want: high stats, URM, really unique softs, non-trads.

The poster above who received the big money was one of those. But if you don't offer something that they need, your negotiating leverage is nil.

User avatar
Dmini7
Posts: 725
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:20 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Dmini7 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:11 pm

Big Dog wrote:^^wait it out at this point.

All law schools shower money on those applicants that they really want: high stats, URM, really unique softs, non-trads.

The poster above who received the big money was one of those.


Yeah, thank you for pointing that out. I can't believe i forgot to mention I was a URM :oops: . I normally always preface what I say with that to allow people to realize the results are not typical. I guess I was too excited to realize I left that out.

ChaseInk
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:51 am

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby ChaseInk » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:47 am

eav1277 wrote:Without starting a war, do you guys think it is likely/probable irvine will enter the rankings in the 20-30 range and stay there? I am considering irvine and usc right now but the thought of them not having a fixed ranking does scare me a bit. Thoughts from others considering irvine?

I have an amazing scholly so that mitigates the fear a lil but it's def still there.


Also. A question to Any current uci students. Did the 1st graduating class have any success in obtaining NorCal employment?


I'm not going to weigh in on the "where will UCI fall in the rankings" discussion. No one knows and, as I am sure you have read in that discussion in the past, all of those who weigh in tend to take polarized positions.

I can't say for certain if any of the inaugurals landed up north. So many of them clerked and so many of those who clerked have (recently) rejiggered their post-clerking work plans (at least two have landed jobs with V20 firms). I do know for certain, however, that six SF/SV firms (not including IP-only shops or government work) participated in OCI this past fall. I also know of at least two of my classmates who received offers from V30 firms in SF or SV (can't remember which) (both turned the offers down). I also know of one classmate who is working for an environmental firm in SF and another who is working for the EPA in SF. I'm sure there are others who are going up there for the summer, as well. So, our ties up there aren't strong, but people know of us and are starting to pay attention.

User avatar
Dmini7
Posts: 725
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:20 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Dmini7 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:41 pm

Anyone else planning on going to ASW in April? I am liking the school more and more every day. As of now, this is definitely my number one.

User avatar
sportsaholic763
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 1:59 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby sportsaholic763 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:01 pm

Dmini7 wrote:Anyone else planning on going to ASW in April? I am liking the school more and more every day. As of now, this is definitely my number one.


I'll be there. I'm feeling the same way as you about this.

User avatar
teiswei
Posts: 695
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:50 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby teiswei » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:26 pm

sportsaholic763 wrote:
Dmini7 wrote:Anyone else planning on going to ASW in April? I am liking the school more and more every day. As of now, this is definitely my number one.


I'll be there. I'm feeling the same way as you about this.

My absolute #1 and I will be there with my fiancé. I booked the flights and a condo on Newport Beach the day I was notified about ASW. I did email and ask about reimbursement and it is $400 if you travel over 50 miles.

User avatar
sportsaholic763
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 1:59 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby sportsaholic763 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:30 pm

teiswei wrote:
sportsaholic763 wrote:
Dmini7 wrote:Anyone else planning on going to ASW in April? I am liking the school more and more every day. As of now, this is definitely my number one.


I'll be there. I'm feeling the same way as you about this.

My absolute #1 and I will be there with my fiancé. I booked the flights and a condo on Newport Beach the day I was notified about ASW. I did email and ask about reimbursement and it is $400 if you travel over 50 miles.


That's ballin

User avatar
teiswei
Posts: 695
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:50 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby teiswei » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:34 pm

sportsaholic763 wrote:
teiswei wrote:
sportsaholic763 wrote:
Dmini7 wrote:Anyone else planning on going to ASW in April? I am liking the school more and more every day. As of now, this is definitely my number one.


I'll be there. I'm feeling the same way as you about this.

My absolute #1 and I will be there with my fiancé. I booked the flights and a condo on Newport Beach the day I was notified about ASW. I did email and ask about reimbursement and it is $400 if you travel over 50 miles.


That's ballin

Hey working full time since high school paid off. Bill Maher tickets too (free) for the Thursday prior. The condo was actually comparable to a hotel room, only $125 a night.

User avatar
99.9luft
Posts: 1244
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby 99.9luft » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:19 am

teiswei wrote:
sportsaholic763 wrote:
Dmini7 wrote:Anyone else planning on going to ASW in April? I am liking the school more and more every day. As of now, this is definitely my number one.


I'll be there. I'm feeling the same way as you about this.

My absolute #1 and I will be there with my fiancé. I booked the flights and a condo on Newport Beach the day I was notified about ASW. I did email and ask about reimbursement and it is $400 if you travel over 50 miles.


i'm with you guys...UCI looks absolutely amazing. Excited for ASW.

User avatar
eav1277
Posts: 375
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:58 am

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby eav1277 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:34 am

Do we get reimbursed for hotel/flight/miles?

Jonathk1
Posts: 113
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:56 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Jonathk1 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:36 am

Will also be there during ASW - hope to see some of you there. We should get a pre-TLS-meet going on that Friday. Possibly coffee/tea in a nearby area and relocate to ASW together.

User avatar
eav1277
Posts: 375
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:58 am

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby eav1277 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:38 am

Jonathk1 wrote:Will also be there during ASW - hope to see some of you there. We should get a pre-TLS-meet going on that Friday. Possibly coffee/tea in a nearby area and relocate to ASW together.


Sounds interesting. Then again. Anonymity is better. You'll picture a face instead of someone's tar lol

User avatar
99.9luft
Posts: 1244
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby 99.9luft » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:43 am

eav1277 wrote:
Jonathk1 wrote:Will also be there during ASW - hope to see some of you there. We should get a pre-TLS-meet going on that Friday. Possibly coffee/tea in a nearby area and relocate to ASW together.


Sounds interesting. Then again. Anonymity is better. You'll picture a face instead of someone's tar lol


haha good point, i have too many [dumb] posts to reveal my TLS identity at ASW.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”