UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
mantel

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby mantel » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:38 pm

gitguy wrote:I'm going to go out on a limb here, but I think they are sitting on a lot of applications. I know that LSN is a small sampling of applicants, but I can't help but opine that applications are down significantly for UCI. Most people that applied as early as I did last year had already received a decision by this time, and more had applied.

Perhaps some of the new law school shine is wearing off, and UCI is falling victim to the falling application numbers in their primary range?

Feel free to pick apart my logic.

Not picking your logic apart exactly, but to supplement it:

Last year UCI saw their applications double from the previous two years. LSN has about as many applicants this year as for those two previous years. Looking through the student numbers, it looks like they're about the same, though it's hard to tell just by looking.
So perhaps there's a drop off from last year (it's hard to tell just from LSN because, as you note, it's a sampling), but I don't think that would support the conclusion that UCI is falling victim to anything. Last year was exceptional.

Last year UCI responded to applications very quickly. It was a two week turnaround for many. I think this year they're being a little more 'normal' with the turnaround because last year they received too many accepted offers and had to offer deferrals to keep the class at around 120. 120 is the target again from what I hear.

gitguy

Postby gitguy » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:10 pm

Could be that last year was exceptional. Also, it is only 1/15, a lot of people haven't even applied yet if you can imagine that.

diver88

Postby diver88 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:04 pm

IN! A little late but I thought I'd share
$30k a year with good academic standing. applied 11/1, accepted 12/10 via email, then letter in the mail with scholarship with handwritten note, then call from the dean last week to follow up
I wrote a strong why UCI, and I've lived in Newport for the past 13 years and had internships and volunteer work in orange county, and i plan to practice law in southern california
good luck to everyone/congrats to fellow admits!

martorem

Postby martorem » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:51 pm

andres wrote:
vishwanath15 wrote:hey.. i also got in a while back.... been trying to figure out since then, why to give an edge to UC Irvine over Boston college (another acceptance i have in hand)... priority big law. ( patent law firm if possible)

+1 (in the same boat)

Hey guys! I'm a 1L, from Boston, BC undergrad (totally outing myself but that's fine) and I chose between UCI and BC. If you want to send a PM with some questions feel free!

Generally though, I really wanted to live outside MA for awhile. I loved BC and knew it would be a great school for me, I just needed to leave. I was really attracted to UCI because the feel of the school is very similar to BC - atmosphere, school mission, public service, etc. I also think that UCI will have reach to get you wherever you want to go. People have heard of it, are generally curious and enthusiastic, and the faculty backs you up. I have friends who have already secured summer jobs on the east coast. But I also think BC could get you far, as their alumni network is one of the best in the country. In both cases, you just have to put yourself out there. Obviously, the career office here focuses more on west coast jobs, but if you tell them you're interested working in a particular city they'll help you search and will put you in contact with people who have connections with the area.

My only issue is that I have no car and can't afford one and Irvine is TERRIBLE. My friends are great and bring me wherever I need to go and let me borrow their cars but there is definitely a lack of independence here that I'm not enjoying. Just something to keep in mind.

If you guys want any more information, just ask! :) Good luck deciding and good luck with the rest of your cycles!

gitguy

Postby gitguy » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:57 pm

martorem wrote:
andres wrote:
vishwanath15 wrote:hey.. i also got in a while back.... been trying to figure out since then, why to give an edge to UC Irvine over Boston college (another acceptance i have in hand)... priority big law. ( patent law firm if possible)

+1 (in the same boat)

Hey guys! I'm a 1L, from Boston, BC undergrad (totally outing myself but that's fine) and I chose between UCI and BC. If you want to send a PM with some questions feel free!

Generally though, I really wanted to live outside MA for awhile. I loved BC and knew it would be a great school for me, I just needed to leave. I was really attracted to UCI because the feel of the school is very similar to BC - atmosphere, school mission, public service, etc. I also think that UCI will have reach to get you wherever you want to go. People have heard of it, are generally curious and enthusiastic, and the faculty backs you up. I have friends who have already secured summer jobs on the east coast. But I also think BC could get you far, as their alumni network is one of the best in the country. In both cases, you just have to put yourself out there. Obviously, the career office here focuses more on west coast jobs, but if you tell them you're interested working in a particular city they'll help you search and will put you in contact with people who have connections with the area.

My only issue is that I have no car and can't afford one and Irvine is TERRIBLE. My friends are great and bring me wherever I need to go and let me borrow their cars but there is definitely a lack of independence here that I'm not enjoying. Just something to keep in mind.

If you guys want any more information, just ask! :) Good luck deciding and good luck with the rest of your cycles!

Hey what kind of scholly did you get with your numbers?

gitguy

Postby gitguy » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:03 pm

I went to UCI and live in the area and know it well. If anyone has any questions I can help as well.

teiswei

Postby teiswei » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:40 pm

gitguy wrote:Hey what kind of scholly did you get with your numbers?

Her* LSN says $90K... Enough to move me to Irvine

scottyc66

Postby scottyc66 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:47 pm

mantel wrote:Not picking your logic apart exactly, but to supplement it:

Last year UCI saw their applications double from the previous two years. LSN has about as many applicants this year as for those two previous years. Looking through the student numbers, it looks like they're about the same, though it's hard to tell just by looking.
So perhaps there's a drop off from last year (it's hard to tell just from LSN because, as you note, it's a sampling), but I don't think that would support the conclusion that UCI is falling victim to anything. Last year was exceptional.

Last year UCI responded to applications very quickly. It was a two week turnaround for many. I think this year they're being a little more 'normal' with the turnaround because last year they received too many accepted offers and had to offer deferrals to keep the class at around 120. 120 is the target again from what I hear.

Application #s are way down from last year, ~22%.

gitguy

Postby gitguy » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:50 pm

scottyc66 wrote:
mantel wrote:Not picking your logic apart exactly, but to supplement it:

Application #s are way down from last year, ~22%.

Good news for us.

gitguy

Postby gitguy » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:51 pm

teiswei wrote:
gitguy wrote:Hey what kind of scholly did you get with your numbers?

Her* LSN says $90K... Enough to move me to Irvine

Definitely jealous.

sjahangi

Postby sjahangi » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:47 am

In and planning to attend. 3.78 lsac ugpa w/ upward trend (3.96 last 3 years, 4.07 senior year) and 161 LSAT.

LSTfan

Postby LSTfan » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:48 pm

Last edited by LSTfan on Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:16 pm

LSTfan wrote:
gitguy wrote:Good news for us.

Or a warning.

Banned for trolling (this isn't his only troll post).

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=146613

teiswei

Postby teiswei » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:32 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
LSTfan wrote:
gitguy wrote:Good news for us.

Or a warning.

Banned for trolling (this isn't his only troll post).

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=146613

Thank you

mantel

Postby mantel » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:33 pm

I'm also a current UCI Law student, and I'd be happy to answer any questions. Post here or PM me! I'm glad to see there are a few current students on here helping out soon-to-be 1Ls.

Good luck to everyone!

Jonathk1

Postby Jonathk1 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:28 pm

Last edited by Jonathk1 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

enigmabk

Postby enigmabk » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:07 pm

Jonathk1 wrote:
mantel wrote:I'm also a current UCI Law student, and I'd be happy to answer any questions. Post here or PM me! I'm glad to see there are a few current students on here helping out soon-to-be 1Ls.

Good luck to everyone!

Any available data yet on class of 2012 grad employment? Or have you heard anything personally?

+1, also any relevant info regarding 1l or 2l SA

Dmini7

Postby Dmini7 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:17 pm

I applied to UCI on 1/3. Havent heard from them since 1/4. I really wish they had a status checker so i could check it frantically like the other schools I applied to. Has anyone who applied after Jan. 1st had any updates? UCI is one of my top choices back home for personal reasons so I am pretty anxious to see some movement. Numbers are 164/3.2 AA male.

Jonathk1

Postby Jonathk1 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:51 pm

Last edited by Jonathk1 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mantel

Postby mantel » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:49 am

enigmabk wrote:
Jonathk1 wrote:
Any available data yet on class of 2012 grad employment? Or have you heard anything personally?

+1, also any relevant info regarding 1l or 2l SA

Jonathk1: I'm bringing this c/o 2012's comment back to the front, in case you didn't see it. It's buried on page 4 or 5.

lazarusl wrote:
teiswei wrote:How do you feel the school is perceived by employers?

My personal perspective is that UCI is perceived to be on a similar level as USC and UCLA. I'm working for a large law firm in L.A. and my firm extended offers to multiple UCI students in each of the past 3 summers.

I know that, with my class, there was a lot of curiosity among employers and that likely helped our employment prospects during our 2L OCI. They wanted to know if the students lived up to the hype being generated by the school. OCI seems to have continued to be successful in subsequent years, so I can only assume we didn't disappoint.

I don't know how we compare to the schools I mentioned in terms of percentage of students who take part in OCI, and percentage of OCI participants who are employed. Public interest is a major component of the Irvine community so a lot of the students simply don't want those jobs.

I did not apply for a clerkship, but I believe that most of my classmates who made a serious effort to win a clerkship were successful. Dean Chemerinsky is a tremendous asset in that process, since he is so well connected among judges across the country.

I don't have any hard info about the 2012 class other than the clerkships and the bar passage rate.

UCI has a program where they match 1Ls with practicing attorneys. (The practicing attorney is your mentor; each mentor has 1, sometimes 2, students; and the mentor is there for any questions, tips, concerns, or whatever.) Some of these mentors were class of 2012 students, and the ones I spoke to said the same things as lazarus.

Enigma: Similar answer, but I know those classes a little better. I don't know of any 1L SAs for the current 1L class yet. However, there are a number of 1L judicial externships already, and applications for 1L summer are just underway now. (Everyone from the CDO office to the faculty are enormously helpful in the job search, by the way. Having friends at various law schools, this is special.)

I haven't heard of anyone who wanted a 2L SA and didn't get it. I personally know a number of people in the 3L class who did 2L SAs, and they are heading off to BigLaw from those SAs.

During first semester, UCI puts on an event where 2Ls and 3Ls talk to 1Ls about their summer job experience. (They group similar jobs together at tables with signs, and the 1Ls go around asking questions, etc..) I was really impressed by how many 2Ls and 3Ls participated, and how many different types of employers were represented.

The feeling around campus is definitely not one of concern, and everyone I know is on track with whatever career they're shooting for. I wish I could provide more solid information. That's what I have.

Mdenis1

Postby Mdenis1 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:21 am

martorem wrote:
andres wrote:

+1 (in the same boat)

Is it THAT bad? I don't have a car at the moment and I really don't feel like buying one for law school. I'm used to live in cities where public transportation is really great and I like it that way. Ever since I plan on having no social life at least in my first semester... if you get an appartment close to school, is it doable to do it without a car? Do they have buses over there?

teiswei

Postby teiswei » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:49 am

Mdenis1 wrote:Is it THAT bad? I don't have a car at the moment and I really don't feel like buying one for law school. I'm used to live in cities where public transportation is really great and I like it that way. Ever since I plan on having no social life at least in my first semester... if you get an appartment close to school, is it doable to do it without a car? Do they have buses over there?

you can bike year-round in SoCal

lazarusl

Postby lazarusl » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:20 pm

Mdenis1 wrote:Is it THAT bad? I don't have a car at the moment and I really don't feel like buying one for law school. I'm used to live in cities where public transportation is really great and I like it that way. Ever since I plan on having no social life at least in my first semester... if you get an appartment close to school, is it doable to do it without a car? Do they have buses over there?

I sold my car before I moved to Irvine and went without a car for the entire 1L year without a problem. There are a couple of grocery stores & lots of restaurants within easy walking distance. It really wasn't a big deal.

However, the public transportation system is not robust. Lots of students use buses to get to and from campus, but getting to other destinations by bus is a challenge. On the occasions when I needed a car, I used Zipcar, which has several cars stationed near the law school. I bought a cheap car on Craigslist before 2L because OCI/interview season was approaching.

gitguy

Postby gitguy » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:04 pm

Anyone else get the website quality survey via email? Should we make anything of it?

nba101790

Postby nba101790 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:08 pm

gitguy wrote:Anyone else get the website quality survey via email? Should we make anything of it?

Got it. And nope, I just think it's a form survey.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”