UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
gitguy

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby gitguy » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:26 pm

ruskapoo wrote:Got a call from Dean Chemerinsky today! :)

You put in a good word for me, right?? :wink:

vishwanath15

Postby vishwanath15 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:56 am

hey.. i also got in a while back.... been trying to figure out since then, why to give an edge to UC Irvine over Boston college (another acceptance i have in hand)... priority big law. ( patent law firm if possible)

andres

Postby andres » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:03 am

vishwanath15 wrote:hey.. i also got in a while back.... been trying to figure out since then, why to give an edge to UC Irvine over Boston college (another acceptance i have in hand)... priority big law. ( patent law firm if possible)

+1 (in the same boat)

teiswei

Postby teiswei » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:33 am

andres wrote:
vishwanath15 wrote:hey.. i also got in a while back.... been trying to figure out since then, why to give an edge to UC Irvine over Boston college (another acceptance i have in hand)... priority big law. ( patent law firm if possible)

+1 (in the same boat)

Off the top of my head, location. It really depends where you want to practice. If you want east coast, stick with BC, but that JD from BC may have trouble landing you anywhere west of Chicago. Similarly, UC Irvine is likely going to limit you to California (not a bad thing if you ask me) and have potential to eventually get into the T25 and have a little bit more of a national reach.

Honestly, visit both and your gut will tell you what's right.

scretcher

Postby scretcher » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:38 pm

Just got my acceptance email! 166/3.55

Good luck everyone :D

bananasplit19

Postby bananasplit19 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:40 pm

scretcher wrote:Just got my acceptance email! 166/3.55

Your avatar gave me the lulz.

scretcher

Postby scretcher » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:55 pm

bananasplit19 wrote:
scretcher wrote:Just got my acceptance email! 166/3.55

Your avatar gave me the lulz.

lol. Your avatar made me eat the pb&j I packed for lunch at 9 am.

b123

Postby b123 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:50 pm

For anyone that received a scholarship: did your original acceptance email mention scholly info or a forthcoming packet or anything? Mine hasn't mentioned anything regarding that.

Thanks!

MJLE16

Postby MJLE16 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:52 pm

b123 wrote:For anyone that received a scholarship: did your original acceptance email mention scholly info or a forthcoming packet or anything? Mine hasn't mentioned anything regarding that.

Thanks!

Mine came with the letter

eleventhnight

Postby eleventhnight » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:18 pm

As a current student (c/o 2015), I wanted to give a heads up to those considering UCI's scholarship packages.

I've been informed that need-based funding (5k, no matter who you are if you qualify, I believe) will not be continued for 2Ls and 3Ls. I'm assuming that they will be continuing this for incoming 1Ls. I based my decision largely on the financial aid package, and I'm saddened that I turned down UCLA/USC/Cornell largely based on getting more money from UCI. As it stands, I actually would have received more in merit scholarship from USC.

I don't blame the school, since it's my fault for not having asked whether the need-based grant was guaranteed for all 3 years. I hope that you guys do not make the same mistakes I did! If they do offer the 5k grant, be sure to ask whether it'll be guaranteed, and keep in mind that it might not continue for all 3 years.

The school itself is good. I don't hate it, although I don't love it either. What more can you ask from law school?

Good luck to you all!

teiswei

Postby teiswei » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:49 pm

eleventhnight wrote:The school itself is good. I don't hate it, although I don't love it either. What more can you ask from law school?

Care to elaborate? Any real feedback helps.

bananasplit19

Postby bananasplit19 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:50 pm

teiswei wrote:
eleventhnight wrote:The school itself is good. I don't hate it, although I don't love it either. What more can you ask from law school?

+1

eleventhnight

Postby eleventhnight » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:57 pm

teiswei wrote:

In terms of atmosphere, I would say that it is slightly less competitive than what other people are feeling at other schools. It's a smaller class size; I know most of people from my section, as well as several others from the other section (we're divided into Mod A and Mod B). I would say that the comparably smaller class size is good for building social bonds, if you are willing to put yourself out there. But if you want to be quiet, they leave you alone and let you be!

In terms of classes, it gets a bit weirder. We do things slightly differently. For example, we don't have property as a first year course and instead we have "International Legal Analysis." The new semester just began, so I can't really comment on how this particular course is going to be like. I have to say that if some law schools aim to produce "book-smart" students, we're probably more focused on producing "street-smart" students. Some people did not like particular professors we have had for the first semester, but you're always going to have professors that you dislike.

I'm a lowly 1L, so I can't exactly comment on what the job situation is at the moment. I spoke to a 2L who said there were "ample" opportunities during OCI, although he only got one callback. We have a generous curve: B+ is the median for first year classes. Grades come out quite late, and we aren't expecting to receive first semester grades until at least next weekend.

I have friends spread out around the nation at various law schools: Cornell, Harvard, UCLA, and UC Hastings. So when I talk about "atmosphere," I was comparing to what my friends have told me at those respective schools. Also, our professors do seem a bit more "friendly" and approachable compared to what my friends have said.

If you plan to practice in SoCal, I think UCI is a very respectable choice outside of T14. I'm from the area, and I didn't want to live in LA (one of the reasons, aside from money, that I turned down UCLA and USC). Sorry, I tried to give a broad overview. So please feel free to follow up with a PM or a reply here. I'll try to check back.

bettercallsaul91

Postby bettercallsaul91 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:52 am

eleventhnight wrote:In terms of atmosphere, I would say that it is slightly less competitive than what other people are feeling at other schools. It's a smaller class size; I know most of people from my section, as well as several others from the other section (we're divided into Mod A and Mod B). I would say that the comparably smaller class size is good for building social bonds, if you are willing to put yourself out there. But if you want to be quiet, they leave you alone and let you be!

In terms of classes, it gets a bit weirder. We do things slightly differently. For example, we don't have property as a first year course and instead we have "International Legal Analysis." The new semester just began, so I can't really comment on how this particular course is going to be like. I have to say that if some law schools aim to produce "book-smart" students, we're probably more focused on producing "street-smart" students. Some people did not like particular professors we have had for the first semester, but you're always going to have professors that you dislike.

I'm a lowly 1L, so I can't exactly comment on what the job situation is at the moment. I spoke to a 2L who said there were "ample" opportunities during OCI, although he only got one callback. We have a generous curve: B+ is the median for first year classes. Grades come out quite late, and we aren't expecting to receive first semester grades until at least next weekend.

I have friends spread out around the nation at various law schools: Cornell, Harvard, UCLA, and UC Hastings. So when I talk about "atmosphere," I was comparing to what my friends have told me at those respective schools. Also, our professors do seem a bit more "friendly" and approachable compared to what my friends have said.

If you plan to practice in SoCal, I think UCI is a very respectable choice outside of T14. I'm from the area, and I didn't want to live in LA (one of the reasons, aside from money, that I turned down UCLA and USC). Sorry, I tried to give a broad overview. So please feel free to follow up with a PM or a reply here. I'll try to check back.

That was helpful! Thanks! I appreciate it :D

bne

Postby bne » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:42 pm

Checking in late, but sent my app in on the 3rd. Born and raised in Orange County and attended UCI as an undergrad. Any questions (about the area, university, etc.) feel free to ask!

Jonathk1

Postby Jonathk1 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:55 pm

Does anyone know if UCI requires parent's information on the FAFSA application? Could not find that information on LSAC nor the UCI Law website itself.

Any help is appreciated.

username101

Postby username101 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:34 pm

Jonathk1 wrote:Does anyone know if UCI requires parent's information on the FAFSA application? Could not find that information on LSAC nor the UCI Law website itself.

Any help is appreciated.

Yes, they do if you want to be considered for need-based grants.

"March 4 is the priority filing date for the FAFSA application. Parental Income and asset information are required to be considered for need-based grants."

http://www.law.uci.edu/financial_aid/Fi ... cklist.pdf

Jonathk1

Postby Jonathk1 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:18 pm

username101 wrote:
Jonathk1 wrote:Does anyone know if UCI requires parent's information on the FAFSA application? Could not find that information on LSAC nor the UCI Law website itself.

Any help is appreciated.

Yes, they do if you want to be considered for need-based grants.

"March 4 is the priority filing date for the FAFSA application. Parental Income and asset information are required to be considered for need-based grants."

http://www.law.uci.edu/financial_aid/Fi ... cklist.pdf

Thanks!

LSTfan

Postby LSTfan » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:24 pm

Last edited by LSTfan on Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

bettercallsaul91

Postby bettercallsaul91 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:10 am

Got my acceptance packet today. I live in CA. Accepted via email Dec 20th.

lrslayer

Postby lrslayer » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:10 pm

LSTfan wrote:
eleventhnight wrote:I've been informed that need-based funding (5k, no matter who you are if you qualify, I believe) will not be continued for 2Ls and 3Ls. I'm assuming that they will be continuing this for incoming 1Ls. I based my decision largely on the financial aid package, and I'm saddened that I turned down UCLA/USC/Cornell largely based on getting more money from UCI. As it stands, I actually would have received more in merit scholarship from USC.

In addition to pushing for more transparency on job placement stats, we need to also start pushing for more transparency on scholarship and aid stats. So many schools play these games where they offer up-front money for the first-year, then find some way to cut it after that. I would be pretty livid if ended up paying more in the end to go to a lower ranked school.

Just a quick FYI.. just to be fair.. I just checked my 'need based grant' wording and it clearly says that "This grant has been provided to assist you in meeting your first year cost of tuition and fees.".. Again, not a cheerleader for UCI, just wanted to toss a little truth into the equation.

gitguy

Postby gitguy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:56 pm

To everyone still waiting on a decision: I got ambitious and wrote an email to the assistant dean of admissions, whom I had met with in person early in the app cycle, inquiring about when I might expect a decision. He replied that they are still reviewing apps and we can expect to hear back within a few weeks. So, nothing much there.

countmein

Postby countmein » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:07 am

Does anyone know what is the income threshold that will disqualify a student from need based grants?

gitguy

Postby gitguy » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:06 pm

I'm going to go out on a limb here, but I think they are sitting on a lot of applications. I know that LSN is a small sampling of applicants, but I can't help but opine that applications are down significantly for UCI. Most people that applied as early as I did last year had already received a decision by this time, and more had applied.

Perhaps some of the new law school shine is wearing off, and UCI is falling victim to the falling application numbers in their primary range?

Feel free to pick apart my logic.

Wishfulthinker

Postby Wishfulthinker » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:52 pm

gitguy wrote:I'm going to go out on a limb here, but I think they are sitting on a lot of applications. I know that LSN is a small sampling of applicants, but I can't help but opine that applications are down significantly for UCI. Most people that applied as early as I did last year had already received a decision by this time, and more had applied.

Perhaps some of the new law school shine is wearing off, and UCI is falling victim to the falling application numbers in their primary range?

Feel free to pick apart my logic.

From the looks of it, I think that may be the case. Did anyone else receive an invitation email yesterday to apply?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”