UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
nilzzz90

New

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Post by nilzzz90 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:27 pm

Hyee wrote:
nilzzz90 wrote:So I applied about a month ago and haven't heard anything back about my application even being complete! Is that weird?

I think you should have got something with this:

"Thank you for submitting an application for admission to UC Irvine School of Law. Below indicates the status of the additional required application components. If you sent supplemental information it will not be tracked in this message because it is not required. Yes indicates received and No indicates not received."

As well as some survey. Check your spam, and if there's absolutely nothing you really should call them.
Thank youu! Checked my spam and had two emails :)

nba101790

Bronze

Post by nba101790 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:31 pm

teiswei wrote:
nba101790 wrote:Thanks. I'm not too beat up about it; just surprised since they personally encourage me to apply (emails correspondence with the dean, etc). Then again, I didn't tailor my app to Irvine and I'm from the East Coast, so I understand it to an extent.
They have a requirement on their app for an essay explaining why you want to attend. If you didn't do it, that may be the reason. If you're interested, research the school and you will assuredly find a lot to love.
I did write the Why UCI, albeit a bit half-assed, but I did do one and make it clear I was, until today, interested. Objectively speaking my softs and essays are solid as I've had a good cycle so far, and they've helped me at some other schools, so I just don't understand why someone with my exact numbers got 30k per year off the bat from UCI while I got wait listed.

Oh well, withdrawn.

gitguy

Bronze

Post by gitguy » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:31 pm

teiswei wrote:
nba101790 wrote:WL'd via mail this weekend. Very surprised given they're giving big scholarships to people with my numbers. Whatever.
I know I spent quite a bit of time on the Why UCI... Maybe that helped? Sorry about the WL
Same here. I tried to give some really solid reasons why UCI is for me, apart from the obvious fact that Chem kicks ass.

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:36 pm

sometimes it is a matter of time (two people with identical numbers get different treatment because one submitted earlier)

sometimes it is what you will bring to the entering class - there may already be someone who did what you did, likes what you likes, etc.

this is, of course, barring anything that can cause red flags on your app to THAT specific school.

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:37 pm

gitguy wrote:
teiswei wrote:
nba101790 wrote:WL'd via mail this weekend. Very surprised given they're giving big scholarships to people with my numbers. Whatever.
I know I spent quite a bit of time on the Why UCI... Maybe that helped? Sorry about the WL
Same here. I tried to give some really solid reasons why UCI is for me, apart from the obvious fact that Chem kicks ass.
+1

I think I've spent more time on the UCI app than on any other of my 30+ apps (fee waiver, bitchez).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gitguy

Bronze

Post by gitguy » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:45 pm

No scholly offer upfront. Can anyone offer any advice on soliciting an offer? UCI is my top choice, but it can't happen without some $$.

CAteacherguy

New

Post by CAteacherguy » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:33 am

99.9luft wrote:
gitguy wrote:
teiswei wrote:
+1

I think I've spent more time on the UCI app than on any other of my 30+ apps (fee waiver, bitchez).
In what has turned out to be a bit of an ironic twist, my UCI app was the only app that I cranked out *really* quickly and it's become the best value school for me as well as my frontrunner. Within the time span of a single evening, I read a couple articles about UCI's clerkship rates, checked in with my partner to make sure he could tolerate the idea of three years in Orange County, adapted my personal and diversity statements, wrote a single draft of my Why UCI? statement, and sent it off. In contrast, I agonized over some of the Why _______? statements I wrote for other schools (possibly because I didn't have a whole lot to say other than "you're in the right location?") and spent hours tailoring my personal statement... I think I was able to write my Why UCI? statement so much more quickly because, despite its location (which isn't what I was looking for at all, though I'm currently coming to terms with it), it really is the only school I applied to that actually has most of the qualities I'm looking for at a law school.

-CAtg

ArianFosterNation

New

Post by ArianFosterNation » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:17 pm

WL'ed via mail on 3/10

Does anyone actually know the likelihood of getting off of UCI's waitlist. This is one of my top choices and it appears that my chances are slim to none.

xiaojimu

Bronze

Post by xiaojimu » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:06 pm

ArianFosterNation wrote:WL'ed via mail on 3/10

Does anyone actually know the likelihood of getting off of UCI's waitlist. This is one of my top choices and it appears that my chances are slim to none.
not sure, but I think they usually don't look at the WL till early April... :S
I'm waiting to hear back too
good luck pal~!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

countmein

New

Post by countmein » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:24 pm

gitguy wrote:No scholly offer upfront. Can anyone offer any advice on soliciting an offer? UCI is my top choice, but it can't happen without some $$.
If you are going to ASW, then you can request a meeting with the Financial Aid Director, Nazreen Zia. My understanding is that she is extremely helpful in navigating through all financial aid options. I would also make it clear to her that you would find it difficult to attend UCI without some $$ , and maybe she can kick your message up. Or you can talk to the Dean of Admissions if you want a much quicker answer, but just be ready to answer why you need financial aid…in other words, why should they allocate $$ to you. I hope this helps. Best of luck to you.

helterskelter

New

Post by helterskelter » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:17 pm

Anyone going to the PILF event on Saturday?

gitguy

Bronze

Post by gitguy » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:30 pm

countmein wrote:
gitguy wrote:No scholly offer upfront. Can anyone offer any advice on soliciting an offer? UCI is my top choice, but it can't happen without some $$.
If you are going to ASW, then you can request a meeting with the Financial Aid Director, Nazreen Zia. My understanding is that she is extremely helpful in navigating through all financial aid options. I would also make it clear to her that you would find it difficult to attend UCI without some $$ , and maybe she can kick your message up. Or you can talk to the Dean of Admissions if you want a much quicker answer, but just be ready to answer why you need financial aid…in other words, why should they allocate $$ to you. I hope this helps. Best of luck to you.
I appreciate it. I ended up emailing Dean Austin. I thought it better to do it sooner rather than later when they have allocated all of their funds.

sportsaholic763

New

Post by sportsaholic763 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:43 pm

helterskelter wrote:Anyone going to the PILF event on Saturday?
Strongly considering. Anyone know of the make-up of the people there? As in, current students, professors v. community people?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

eav1277

Bronze

Post by eav1277 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:49 pm

I'm liking UCI but anyone else a little scared by the fall of most CA schools in US news (not getting any love). CA economy :(

Homelandsagreatshow

Bronze

Post by Homelandsagreatshow » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:53 pm

In before Dre day... Returns

helterskelter

New

Post by helterskelter » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:56 pm

sportsaholic763 wrote:
Strongly considering. Anyone know of the make-up of the people there? As in, current students, professors v. community people?
Assuming rich OC lawyer donors and maybe some of the students who benefit from the program so the school can show donors exactly where their money goes. Probably not a whole lot of professors, but that's just a guess. At least it should be a fun, fancy party.

ChaseInk

New

Post by ChaseInk » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:53 am

helterskelter wrote:
sportsaholic763 wrote:
Assuming rich OC lawyer donors and maybe some of the students who benefit from the program so the school can show donors exactly where their money goes. Probably not a whole lot of professors, but that's just a guess. At least it should be a fun, fancy party.
There was a huge draw last year. Tons, tons, tons of students, a hand full of professors (Fisk, Chem, Weinstein--probably more but I was hammered and don't remember the full lot), and a bazillion local attorneys. This was the event that made me realize how much OC cares about this law school.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

anteater1

Silver

Post by anteater1 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:41 pm

spoke with Dean Austin about increasing my merit-based aid and she essentially told me it would only raise another $5k at most.

extremely aggravating, UCI was one of my top choices but they lowball me $75k when they offer other applicants with much lesser stats than mine $105-$150

I went to UCI undergrad and am strongly PI oriented, too bad they don't like me nearly as much as I like them.

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:48 pm

anteater1 wrote:spoke with Dean Austin about increasing my merit-based aid and she essentially told me it would only raise another $5k at most.

extremely aggravating, UCI was one of my top choices but they lowball me $75k when they offer other applicants with much lesser stats than mine $105-$150

I went to UCI undergrad and am strongly PI oriented, too bad they don't like me nearly as much as I like them.
sorry to hear. i feel like unless someone has a really high lsat, by this time (mid-march) they are getting stingier and stingier.

Dmini7

Silver

Post by Dmini7 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:05 pm

I did a mini campus visit today with some other prospective students. We got to sit in on dean Chem's class, along with talking to current students(one of which I believe is a TLSer!), the recruitment and admissions officer, and finally a tour of the law campus by a 2L. I will say I was quite impressed with the class, the facilities and the investment of all the professors towards the school. The students and admissions officer were very direct in stating these people have alot invested in the success of the students and the school.

gitguy

Bronze

Post by gitguy » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:31 pm

anteater1 wrote:spoke with Dean Austin about increasing my merit-based aid and she essentially told me it would only raise another $5k at most.

Somewhat similar experience, minus the initial offer of $75K. A few with my numbers were given hefty scholarships. I wonder what set them apart...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

superhopefulwoo

Bronze

Post by superhopefulwoo » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:41 pm

gitguy wrote:

Somewhat similar experience, minus the initial offer of $75K. A few with my numbers were given hefty scholarships. I wonder what set them apart...
They may potentially be GPA focused? I feel my offer was mainly because of my personal statement though. If you want numbers/details I can PM you. Anybody had any success upping offers that are already pretty high?

anteater1

Silver

Post by anteater1 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:41 pm

gitguy wrote:

Absolutely baffling, my only thought is they must not want as many UG > LS applicants.

teiswei

Silver

Post by teiswei » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:42 pm

gitguy wrote:

I'm close to your numbers but I have a grad degree and over 8 years of FT WE. I sit at $35K per.

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:45 pm

i've got 6 years of WE and i got 25k/y, but then my #s are different (see LSN)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”