William & Mary c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Ggee67
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:26 pm

Re: William & Mary c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Ggee67 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:40 pm

Admitted last Wednesday, got a call from the dean this morning

In with 10k/ yr, although I'm out of state. (Okie)

Anyone have experience with establishing residency in Virginia? I've done some reading online and it seems that all I have to do is prove intent to stay in VA after graduation (register to vote/ apply for drivers license?).

in case anyone is curious: 3.89 gap / 159 LSAT, not URM

Good luck to all!

ks2499
Posts: 323
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:40 am

Re: William & Mary c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby ks2499 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:01 pm

Ggee67 wrote:Admitted last Wednesday, got a call from the dean this morning

In with 10k/ yr, although I'm out of state. (Okie)

Anyone have experience with establishing residency in Virginia? I've done some reading online and it seems that all I have to do is prove intent to stay in VA after graduation (register to vote/ apply for drivers license?).

in case anyone is curious: 3.89 gap / 159 LSAT, not URM

Good luck to all!


The alum I spoke to said he was able to establish residency his second year doing exactly the things you mention, so it's possible, but I'm not sure how difficult it is for the average person.

User avatar
rabbitrun
Posts: 220
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 9:20 pm

Re: William & Mary c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby rabbitrun » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:11 pm

Does anyone know anything about travel stipends? I was considering applying to Regent because they said that they would pay for all travel expenses and then I would just head down to Williamsburg after a brief visit at Regent. Then I realized that that was dishonest.... :(

aqbi
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:49 pm

Re: William & Mary c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby aqbi » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:42 pm

Anyone have trouble logging on to myWM for the first time? Mine won't work for some reason.

Also wondering about how willing W&M is to negotiate scholarships from W&L....

User avatar
sl5uw13
Posts: 163
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:43 pm

Re: William & Mary c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby sl5uw13 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:11 pm

aqbi wrote:Anyone have trouble logging on to myWM for the first time? Mine won't work for some reason.

Also wondering about how willing W&M is to negotiate scholarships from W&L....


I definitely want to know about negotiating

goCATSgo
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:12 pm

Re: William & Mary c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby goCATSgo » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:12 pm

sl5uw13 wrote:
aqbi wrote:Anyone have trouble logging on to myWM for the first time? Mine won't work for some reason.

Also wondering about how willing W&M is to negotiate scholarships from W&L....


I definitely want to know about negotiating


+1

Circlewave
Posts: 114
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:14 pm

Re: William & Mary c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Circlewave » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:09 pm

goCATSgo wrote:
sl5uw13 wrote:
aqbi wrote:Anyone have trouble logging on to myWM for the first time? Mine won't work for some reason.

Also wondering about how willing W&M is to negotiate scholarships from W&L....


I definitely want to know about negotiating


+1


literally hundreds of us, most likely.

User avatar
rabbitrun
Posts: 220
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 9:20 pm

Re: William & Mary c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby rabbitrun » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:46 am

Circlewave wrote:
goCATSgo wrote:
sl5uw13 wrote:
aqbi wrote:Anyone have trouble logging on to myWM for the first time? Mine won't work for some reason.

Also wondering about how willing W&M is to negotiate scholarships from W&L....


I definitely want to know about negotiating


+1


literally hundreds all of us, most likely.

tmoney
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:11 pm

Re: William & Mary c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby tmoney » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:14 pm

Ggee67 wrote:Admitted last Wednesday, got a call from the dean this morning

In with 10k/ yr, although I'm out of state. (Okie)

Anyone have experience with establishing residency in Virginia? I've done some reading online and it seems that all I have to do is prove intent to stay in VA after graduation (register to vote/ apply for drivers license?).

in case anyone is curious: 3.89 gap / 159 LSAT, not URM

Good luck to all!


We have nearly identical numbers and I'm also pretty sure we had a class together. Small world. Congrats! I hope I can get in too... :lol:

NoleGirl12
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:31 pm

Re: William & Mary c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby NoleGirl12 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:37 pm

Last year I e-mailed Dean Shealy, told her W&M was my top choice but I would not be able to go there if I could not get some financial assistance because X law school and Y law school gave me X amount of money and Y amount of money and that I would regret to give up this opportunity without seeing if you have any additional funds available. I got a yearly renewable scholarship out of it. It's definitely worth a try.

aqbi
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:49 pm

Re: William & Mary c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby aqbi » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:43 pm

NoleGirl12 wrote:Last year I e-mailed Dean Shealy, told her W&M was my top choice but I would not be able to go there if I could not get some financial assistance because X law school and Y law school gave me X amount of money and Y amount of money and that I would regret to give up this opportunity without seeing if you have any additional funds available. I got a yearly renewable scholarship out of it. It's definitely worth a try.



Thanks! Do you remember how long it took for her to reply?

User avatar
Aawaldrop
Posts: 251
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:28 am

Re: William & Mary c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Aawaldrop » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:07 pm

Very happy to receive my packet in the mail today :)

wannabelawstudent
Posts: 2588
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:33 pm

Re: William & Mary c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby wannabelawstudent » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:15 am

.
Last edited by wannabelawstudent on Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

racrfish
Posts: 208
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:31 am

Re: William & Mary c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby racrfish » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:37 am

In via status checker this morning. Submitted 1/14, complete 1/16. My first response of the cycle, so I'm very excited.

User avatar
2012Lsatscore
Posts: 611
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:11 pm

Re: William & Mary c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby 2012Lsatscore » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:42 am

.
Last edited by 2012Lsatscore on Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
tony2167
Posts: 138
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:04 am

Re: William & Mary c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby tony2167 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:14 am

Been under review since 11/16. Starting to get kinda frustrating. W&M is the only school of the 13 I applied to that I haven't heard from at this point.

anan
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:59 pm

Re: William & Mary c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby anan » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:00 pm

rabbitrun wrote:Does anyone know anything about travel stipends? I was considering applying to Regent because they said that they would pay for all travel expenses and then I would just head down to Williamsburg after a brief visit at Regent. Then I realized that that was dishonest.... :(



please dont even consider regent ever for any reason ever

User avatar
kuttlefish
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:29 pm

Re: William & Mary c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby kuttlefish » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:09 pm

anan wrote:
rabbitrun wrote:Does anyone know anything about travel stipends? I was considering applying to Regent because they said that they would pay for all travel expenses and then I would just head down to Williamsburg after a brief visit at Regent. Then I realized that that was dishonest.... :(



please dont even consider regent ever for any reason ever


Not even for free travel stipend money? :lol:

tdense
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:19 pm

Re: William & Mary c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby tdense » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:35 pm

In a few days ago with a scholarship/fellowship package of $31,000 a year!

User avatar
rabbitrun
Posts: 220
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 9:20 pm

Re: William & Mary c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby rabbitrun » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:10 pm

kuttlefish wrote:
anan wrote:
rabbitrun wrote:Does anyone know anything about travel stipends? I was considering applying to Regent because they said that they would pay for all travel expenses and then I would just head down to Williamsburg after a brief visit at Regent. Then I realized that that was dishonest.... :(



please dont even consider regent ever for any reason ever


Not even for free travel stipend money? :lol:


Ha, did you read my post? I wasn't going to go there. I was going to get the stipend money and then take a tour and then head down to Williamsburg. I decided that that would be frowned upon and I would feel kind of terrible doing it.

Edit: Should have written about this ^ for my W&L ethical decisions essay. lol

User avatar
kuttlefish
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:29 pm

Re: William & Mary c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby kuttlefish » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:14 pm

as long as you actually take a tour of regent, I don't think it's that dishonest.

AP-375
Posts: 413
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:18 pm

Re: William & Mary c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby AP-375 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:32 pm

Hey folks,
Current W&M 2L here. Happy to take questions here or via PM, just to help anyone out if you're evaluating W&M. Just trying to "pay it forward" after a lot of folks have helped me, etc.

User avatar
JayJones78
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: William & Mary c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby JayJones78 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:19 am

AP-375 wrote:Hey folks,
Current W&M 2L here. Happy to take questions here or via PM, just to help anyone out if you're evaluating W&M. Just trying to "pay it forward" after a lot of folks have helped me, etc.


Well I guess the #1 thing will be what would you say to people who are looking at both W&L and W&M and hope to not be in VA at end (for the sake of this question there are no other options and the person cannot retake and go to a different school). Thanks!

goCATSgo
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:12 pm

Re: William & Mary c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby goCATSgo » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:08 am

JayJones78 wrote:
AP-375 wrote:Hey folks,
Current W&M 2L here. Happy to take questions here or via PM, just to help anyone out if you're evaluating W&M. Just trying to "pay it forward" after a lot of folks have helped me, etc.


Well I guess the #1 thing will be what would you say to people who are looking at both W&L and W&M and hope to not be in VA at end (for the sake of this question there are no other options and the person cannot retake and go to a different school). Thanks!



+1

Also, how are the job prospects if go to W&M but want to work in a different city (Boston, NYC, Chicago?)

Thanks!

AP-375
Posts: 413
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:18 pm

Re: William & Mary c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby AP-375 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:45 am

JayJones78 wrote:
AP-375 wrote:Hey folks,
Current W&M 2L here. Happy to take questions here or via PM, just to help anyone out if you're evaluating W&M. Just trying to "pay it forward" after a lot of folks have helped me, etc.


Well I guess the #1 thing will be what would you say to people who are looking at both W&L and W&M and hope to not be in VA at end (for the sake of this question there are no other options and the person cannot retake and go to a different school). Thanks!


One of the major reasons that I chose W&M is that I believed that for its ranking, it has a solid national name recognition and national employment reach. I came here with no intention of staying in VA. I know that this goes against what TLS groupthink preaches, but based on my experience, I stand by it. I think if you have solid grades, and you network, you can at least have a shot almost anywhere. I know people headed all over, from NYC to southern California. Granted, if you don't have good grades, that mobility is going to be really limited, and granted, some people really had to hustle for it, but at a bare minimum, people have heard of W&M and it generally has a solid reputation outside of the region. Before some smartass gets on here and points out that you should not pin your hopes on finding a job outside of VA, I'll reiterate only that it is doable, I've done it myself, and I know many others who also have.
I don't really know much at all about W&L, so I can't really speak to whether the same is true of W&L. W&L is ranked higher, but most attorneys I talk to think W&M is a top 25 school.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Christinabruin, hwwong, Kimmysradscreenname and 4 guests