William & Mary c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
seancris

Re: William & Mary c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby seancris » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:54 pm

JEB wrote:seancris, I had the same problem. I tried with the exact capitalization of my email (all caps, just like it showed up on my submitted application), but still nada.

Have you gotten it fixed yet? I'm at work and unable to call for now.

blueruditio

Postby blueruditio » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:03 pm

Anyone considering negotiating for more scholarship money if the school is your top choice? Any suggested ways of making the request?

djgrant

Postby djgrant » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:14 pm

Yeah I had that same problem. The Dean called me again and I asked about it. She said that I wouldn't be able to make and W&M ID until Feb, even though it tells you thats the next step

FallingHigher

Postby FallingHigher » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:25 pm

blueruditio wrote:Anyone considering negotiating for more scholarship money if the school is your top choice? Any suggested ways of making the request?

William and Mary is my top choice as of now, but am hesitant to go because of the debt. I have 100+k offers from other schools in state and out but they are ranked lower (50, 82, T3) so I doubt they will do me any good in negotiating. Any suggestions?

JEB

Postby JEB » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:29 pm

FallingHigher wrote:
blueruditio wrote:Anyone considering negotiating for more scholarship money if the school is your top choice? Any suggested ways of making the request?

William and Mary is my top choice as of now, but am hesitant to go because of the debt. I have 100+k offers from other schools in state and out but they are ranked lower (50, 82, T3) so I doubt they will do me any good in negotiating. Any suggestions?

W&M is my top choice as well. I've gotten into UMich, UT, Vandy, and W&L, but I'd rather go to W&M. But I'd have to take on over 90k of debt. I'm going to wait until January when I have financial aid offers in from the other schools and see what they can do for me. I would love to go to W&M, though.

I'm going to send a letter in (probably via email) to the admissions committee, but again, not until January.

seancris

Postby seancris » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:27 pm

FallingHigher wrote:

Apply to Emory. You won't have your scholly offer in-hand until February, but it's ranked #24 or so and you'll get a good offer with time to negotiate as many scholarship recipients withdraw their apps. And I'm pretty certain W&L will be admitting you with money, too.

As soon as one of those admits you with $, send over a summary all your offers.

Full disclosure: I tried this last year with UF and it didn't work. But UF is notoriously stingy whereas W&M is almost the opposite.

Might not help, but it can't hurt.

anteater1

Postby anteater1 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:40 pm

JEB wrote:
FallingHigher wrote:

W&M is my top choice as well. I've gotten into UMich, UT, Vandy, and W&L, but I'd rather go to W&M. But I'd have to take on over 90k of debt. I'm going to wait until January when I have financial aid offers in from the other schools and see what they can do for me. I would love to go to W&M, though.

I'm going to send a letter in (probably via email) to the admissions committee, but again, not until January.

I can't imagine why they wouldn't give you some scholly money with the caliber of schools you've been admitted to, particularly Mich.

WanderingPondering

Postby WanderingPondering » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:58 pm

Did you guys get your $$$ info in your packet? Or did you have to log into the financial aid with your username?

I'm out of the country and trying to have my parents figure out what to look for.

Thanks

2012Split177

Postby 2012Split177 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:20 pm

WanderingPondering wrote:Did you guys get your $$$ info in your packet? Or did you have to log into the financial aid with your username?

I'm out of the country and trying to have my parents figure out what to look for.

Thanks

Right behind the acceptance letter there's another letter that describes the scholarship offer.

FallingHigher

Postby FallingHigher » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:29 pm

seancris wrote:
FallingHigher wrote:

Apply to Emory. You won't have your scholly offer in-hand until February, but it's ranked #24 or so and you'll get a good offer with time to negotiate as many scholarship recipients withdraw their apps. And I'm pretty certain W&L will be admitting you with money, too.

Full disclosure: I tried this last year with UF and it didn't work. But UF is notoriously stingy whereas W&M is almost the opposite.

Thanks for the advice and positive vibes! This weekend I will apply to Emory and shoot off a LOCI to W&L.

FortunaGubernans

Postby FortunaGubernans » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:53 pm

JEB wrote:
FallingHigher wrote:

Out of curiosity, why would you rather go to W&M than Mich?

seancris

Postby seancris » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:00 pm

FallingHigher wrote:Thanks for the advice and positive vibes! This weekend I will apply to Emory and shoot off a LOCI to W&L.

Np. BTW it can't hurt to throw in a fee waiver request to Emory, if you don't have a waiver already. Just tell them your numbers and LSAC number and you'll probably get one.

ETA: maybe ask around on TLS about the right timing for a LOCI. The second batch of admits hasn't come out yet at W&L, so it might be a little early.

byronmullens

Postby byronmullens » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:25 pm

seancris wrote:Apply to Emory. You won't have your scholly offer in-hand until February, but it's ranked #24 or so and you'll get a good offer with time to negotiate as many scholarship recipients withdraw their apps. And I'm pretty certain W&L will be admitting you with money, too.

Send pdf of actual offers, let them know you actually want to attend the school but you have to consider these other offers. Just be upfront, negotiate for the win! I negotiated and I made a huge difference.

seancris

Postby seancris » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:28 pm

byronmullens wrote:
seancris wrote:Apply to Emory. You won't have your scholly offer in-hand until February, but it's ranked #24 or so and you'll get a good offer with time to negotiate as many scholarship recipients withdraw their apps. And I'm pretty certain W&L will be admitting you with money, too.

Send pdf of actual offers, let them know you actually want to attend the school but you have to consider these other offers. Just be upfront, negotiate for the win! I negotiated and I made a huge difference.

Good point about the PDFs. I did that as well, but I would suggest sending a summary page that breaks things down in bullet points. When I sent my PDFs to Florida, I think they might not have read them. Bullet points might've helped.

byronmullens

Postby byronmullens » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:30 pm

seancris wrote:
byronmullens wrote:

Good point about the PDFs. I did that as well, but I would suggest sending a summary page that breaks things down in bullet points. When I sent my PDFs to Florida, I think they might not have read them. Bullet points might've helped.

I'm just going off my experience negotiating at W&M, I had several offers but picked Emory to send as it was the best offer from a peer school. I think its better to go with just one offer, as you are actually making a choice between X and W&M. Sending a laundry list of offers means you are looking for money, not choosing between WM and another school.

teachmehowtoraji

Postby teachmehowtoraji » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:38 pm

Got scholly info in the mail today, $23k/year. Not too shabby.

sl5uw13

Postby sl5uw13 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:26 am

checking in :)

Presidentjlh

Postby Presidentjlh » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:01 pm

Got my acceptance packet today. 21k a year in awards

notbadobamaface.jpeg

spitfire

Postby spitfire » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:22 pm

Admitted via status checker this morning.

Submitted: 11/27
Complete and in review: 11/30

Jredelman15

Postby Jredelman15 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:43 pm

I have been in review since 11/14. Should I send a LOCI?

anteater1

Postby anteater1 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:53 pm

Presidentjlh wrote:Got my acceptance packet today. 21k a year in awards

notbadobamaface.jpeg

+in state tuition?

Baffling, I have your GPA and a 67 but only got 16k/year plus in-state....

Feelsbadman.jpg

slawww

Postby slawww » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:37 pm

Just got an e-mail from W&M admissions about their student's community involvement, etc. I thought maybe they accepted me and that's why they sent me the e-mail, but I'm still under review. Law schools have been trolling me pretty hard this year -_-

Seriously, why would you send me an e-mail talking about how great your school is without accepting me?! Of course I like your school, that's why I applied.

/rant

patricksouthern

Postby patricksouthern » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:41 pm

slawww wrote:Just got an e-mail from W&M admissions about their student's community involvement, etc. I thought maybe they accepted me and that's why they sent me the e-mail, but I'm still under review. Law schools have been trolling me pretty hard this year -_-

Seriously, why would you send me an e-mail talking about how great your school is without accepting me?! Of course I like your school, that's why I applied.

/rant

Did the same thing. I've been in review since 11/6, so I was extra jumpy considering many have been accepted that applied after me. Just assuming I'm not going to get good news until I hear otherwise.

2012Lsatscore

Postby 2012Lsatscore » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:48 pm

Last edited by 2012Lsatscore on Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

FortunaGubernans

Postby FortunaGubernans » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:51 pm

2012Lsatscore wrote:
slawww wrote:Just got an e-mail from W&M admissions about their student's community involvement, etc. I thought maybe they accepted me and that's why they sent me the e-mail, but I'm still under review. Law schools have been trolling me pretty hard this year -_-

/rant

Totally felt the same way.

+1

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”