University of Houston (cycle 2012-2013) C\O 2016

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
mg7

Re: University of Houston (cycle 2012-2013) C\O 2016

Postby mg7 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:55 pm

162 (still waiting for Dec score), 3.42- got my letter today. 5k per year.

TheRedBlueBerry

Postby TheRedBlueBerry » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:02 pm

JakeAsch wrote:
TheRedBlueBerry wrote:I got my letter today. In with 10K a year. I may try to use other offers to see if they will give me a little more. Congrats to all who got in!!

Congrats! What are your numbers?

Thanks! 163/3.33

Jredelman15

Postby Jredelman15 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:59 pm

No scholly offer yet. I really want to go here but I can't afford sticker. Any tips on negotiating?

lnh819

Postby lnh819 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:54 pm

In with 10k a year. Not bad at all considering how stingy they are.

DavidAg

Postby DavidAg » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:44 am

^ Numbers, Please? :)

lnh819

Postby lnh819 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:16 pm

163 3.57

Seasick Sailor

Postby Seasick Sailor » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:53 pm

Submitted my application today.

DavidAg

Postby DavidAg » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:33 pm

Finally got my scholarship info. Got 15K a year! 166 3.68

futHouLawyer

Postby futHouLawyer » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:13 am

Congrats to everybody who has been admitted. How long was it from when your status trackers said file in review until your decision was rendered? Thanks in advance for the information.

JXander

Postby JXander » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:29 pm

This is weird: my status checker was 12/17 this morning, but it just now changed to 1/8. I hope this is a good thing...

ndel21

Postby ndel21 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:42 pm

JakeAsch wrote:This is weird: my status checker was 12/17 this morning, but it just now changed to 1/8. I hope this is a good thing...

same here.. hopefully some good news soon

zanzbar

Postby zanzbar » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:52 pm

FT 1L student here, I thought I'd stop by and share my application experience. I had a 4.0x/160, and I got 2500 in scholly per year. For some people they were willing to up the offer, however, I tried everything in terms of negotiation and they wouldn't budge. I ever threw them a 15k SMU offer and it couldn't get it raised any so there is no harm in trying, but don't expect them to budge to try to recruit you. As far as the updated status checker, it doesn't really mean anything. I went into review in late november and I got updated every 2 weeks until I was accepted in the mid of February.

I believe this only applies to Texas residents but U of H also is one of the few places i know outside of the T14 that has some need based grants so make sure to get your Fasfa in pretty early, and maybe think about meeting with an accountant when you file your taxes to make sure you can get you FASFA number as low as legally possible. I did, and I was able to secure a 2,000 need based grant which somehow got upgraded to 5,000 halfway through the fall semester.

JXander

Postby JXander » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:57 pm

zanzbar wrote:FT 1L student here, I thought I'd stop by and share my application experience. I had a 4.0x/160, and I got 2500 in scholly per year. For some people they were willing to up the offer, however, I tried everything in terms of negotiation and they wouldn't budge. I ever threw them a 15k SMU offer and it couldn't get it raised any so there is no harm in trying, but don't expect them to budge to try to recruit you. As far as the updated status checker, it doesn't really mean anything. I went into review in late november and I got updated every 2 weeks until I was accepted in the mid of February.

I believe this only applies to Texas residents but U of H also is one of the few places i know outside of the T14 that has some need based grants so make sure to get your Fasfa in pretty early, and maybe think about meeting with an accountant when you file your taxes to make sure you can get you FASFA number as low as legally possible. I did, and I was able to secure a 2,000 need based grant which somehow got upgraded to 5,000 halfway through the fall semester.

Thanks for sharing; this is great.

How are you enjoying the school in general? Student life, faculty...?

helpplease

Postby helpplease » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:06 am

zanzbar wrote:FT 1L student here, I thought I'd stop by and share my application experience. I had a 4.0x/160, and I got 2500 in scholly per year. For some people they were willing to up the offer, however, I tried everything in terms of negotiation and they wouldn't budge. I ever threw them a 15k SMU offer and it couldn't get it raised any so there is no harm in trying, but don't expect them to budge to try to recruit you. As far as the updated status checker, it doesn't really mean anything. I went into review in late november and I got updated every 2 weeks until I was accepted in the mid of February.

Hey, how are you liking UH as a 1L? I got offered a full-ride which I am ECSTATIC about, but I also know that I will be accepted to some better ranked schools with a lot less money. Leaning way towards UH but doesn't hurt to get an opinion. Thanks!!
Last edited by helpplease on Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

JXander

Postby JXander » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:23 am

helpplease wrote:Hey, how are you liking UH as a 1L? I got offered a full-ride which I am ECSTATIC about, but I also know that I will be accepted to some better ranked schools to a lot less money. Leaning way towards UH but doesn't hurt to get an opinion. Thanks!!

Wow, congrats. What are your numbers?

helpplease

Postby helpplease » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:01 am

JXander wrote:
helpplease wrote:Hey, how are you liking UH as a 1L? I got offered a full-ride which I am ECSTATIC about, but I also know that I will be accepted to some better ranked schools to a lot less money. Leaning way towards UH but doesn't hurt to get an opinion. Thanks!!

Wow, congrats. What are your numbers?

Thank you!!

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/excitedforaug2013

My numbers are not representative of the application I submitted. PS + Div St. + 2 pg Resume + Networking. The "holistic approach" to reviewing apps is legit. Good luck!

zanzbar

Postby zanzbar » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:01 am

I am probably not the best to comment on student life since I am living at home with my parents in an attempt to minimize my debt so as a result I have to get there kind of early and leave immediately after classes are over. I like my section, pretty much everyone gets along really well, everyone is friendly, and tries to help each other out. There's no real issue if you miss a day you can just ask someone for their notes, and they are willing to give them to you. Honestly, there has been any drama. Of course in a group of 60 people you are surrounded by every day there are going to be people you want to avoid as much as possible (gunners), but its one of the less competitive environments I have ever been in. Of course this is all subject to change now that Fall is over and everyone has a class rank.

Faculty wise- It varies, as expected all profs are very intelligent just some are way better teachers than others. I didn't really go to any of their office hours for 1 on 1 sessions so I never got to really know any of them personally, but they all made an effort to stay 5 mins or so after class to answer any questions students might have had for them. Personally my best teacher was Ragazzo for Civ Pro. If anyone here ends up getting him I must advise that when you get called on in that class it is ok to shit your pants a little bit because he is an intimidating guy who will pretty much verbally waterboard you, but in the long run his class will better prepare you for how you should prepare for all of your other classes so it is kind of a blessing and a curse to get him for Civ Pro.

Overall- I am pretty happy with my decision to come to U of H, of course grades were somewhat a humbling experience because like everyone who has probably enrolled in law school I was overly confident and thought I would be a top 10% student for sure since I have been that my entire life, but it looks like I didn't mess up too bad since I am just inside the top quarter.

zanzbar

Postby zanzbar » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:06 am

Also, I know that a lot of people who apply to U of H also apply to UT. If you get onto the UT waitlist. I would recommend just riding it out all the way until July. Last year they completely exhausted their waitlist, and even called a few people late july/ early august they had outright rejected to see if they would be interested in attending. Also there is at least 1 guy in my section who was on the U of H waitlist who got off around the 2nd-3rd week of August so if you get WL'd don't be disheartened LSAT test takers keep dropping so schools will be forced to reach further and further down for applicants to fill in their classes.

helpplease

Postby helpplease » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:26 am

zanzbar wrote:Also, I know that a lot of people who apply to U of H also apply to UT. If you get onto the UT waitlist. I would recommend just riding it out all the way until July. Last year they completely exhausted their waitlist, and even called a few people late july/ early august they had outright rejected to see if they would be interested in attending. Also there is at least 1 guy in my section who was on the U of H waitlist who got off around the 2nd-3rd week of August so if you get WL'd don't be disheartened LSAT test takers keep dropping so schools will be forced to reach further and further down for applicants to fill in their classes.

This is some really great advice, thanks!! In your opinion, do you think it would be worth it to attend UT with say, a half scholarship, than attend UH with a full one? UH is a great school, but I know that opportunities at bigger law firms are sort of limited to the top 15-20% of the class or so. On the other hand, attending a school with a full-ride would put a lot less pressure come test time, and there isn't that much of a need for a $160k a year job. At the same time, going to a school like UT would mean paying a good amount of tuition and risking not getting in the top 40% of the class there because of the competitiveness at that school. Any thoughts on that?

zanzbar

Postby zanzbar » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:36 am

helpplease wrote:
zanzbar wrote:Also, I know that a lot of people who apply to U of H also apply to UT. If you get onto the UT waitlist. I would recommend just riding it out all the way until July. Last year they completely exhausted their waitlist, and even called a few people late july/ early august they had outright rejected to see if they would be interested in attending. Also there is at least 1 guy in my section who was on the U of H waitlist who got off around the 2nd-3rd week of August so if you get WL'd don't be disheartened LSAT test takers keep dropping so schools will be forced to reach further and further down for applicants to fill in their classes.

This is some really great advice, thanks!! In your opinion, do you think it would be worth it to attend UT with say, a half scholarship, than attend UH with a full one? UH is a great school, but I know that opportunities at bigger law firms are sort of limited to the top 15-20% of the class or so. On the other hand, attending a school with a full-ride would put a lot less pressure come test time, and there isn't that much of a need for a $160k a year job. At the same time, going to a school like UT would mean paying a good amount of tuition and risking not getting in the top 40% of the class there because of the competitiveness at that school. Any thoughts on that?

I am pretty sure you will get into UT, but I think you should expect to pay sticker, unless of course their app numbers are really down. I think in previous years UT has had scholarship floors which require that you have both a 3.7/167 in order to get a scholarship offer. Honestly I think you should consider sending an app out to SMU and possibly Baylor. SMU has this special scholarship program for top ranked students and its an awesome deal if you can get it. It requires an additional essay but it allows you special connections for networking while also giving you full tuition.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:06 am

helpplease wrote:

UT blows UH out of the water when it comes to the types of jobs TLS considers desirable. Also a full ride at UH still means 60K debt (living expenses) and opportunity cost. I think a half ride at UT versus full at UH is a no brainer but you are most likely looking at sticker at UT if you get in. In that case as long as you want to live and work in Houston (and only Houston) I would probably take the offer at UH.

I've basically had this decision to make before, feel free to PM me.

Also I hope no one takes this as anti-UH trolling because I think it's a great school and one of the very best options outside of the T19 or so.

25thPercentileGuy

Postby 25thPercentileGuy » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:35 pm

In via status checker on firday! No email yet. Feels good to have an acceptance!

Good luck to those still waiting!

Jredelman15

Postby Jredelman15 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:32 pm

Anyone tried to negotiate scholarships yet? Just got my offer from LSU half-ride. I only need 5k from Houston to get me to go. I am looking for pointers since they are usually stingy.

JXander

Postby JXander » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:55 pm

25thPercentileGuy wrote:In via status checker on firday! No email yet. Feels good to have an acceptance!

What are your numbers? Given some of my other acceptances, I am surprised I haven't been admitted here yet.

25thPercentileGuy

Postby 25thPercentileGuy » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:43 pm

JXander wrote:
25thPercentileGuy wrote:In via status checker on firday! No email yet. Feels good to have an acceptance!

What are your numbers? Given some of my other acceptances, I am surprised I haven't been admitted here yet.

I'm slightly below the medians for both LSAT and GPA. I sent my app on 1/3 and had a decision on 1/18. Non-URM and good work experience. Hopefully you will hear something soon. Good luck.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”