University of Houston (cycle 2012-2013) C\O 2016

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Well_he_did_not

Re: University of Houston (cycle 2012-2013) C\O 2016

Postby Well_he_did_not » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:03 pm

crazeazn wrote:
Well_he_did_not wrote:
crazeazn wrote:
Well_he_did_not wrote:Is it just me or is Bush International supperrr far away from the university. I called the hotel I'm suppose to stay at(hotel on campus) and they said that it's 35 mins away at least. He also said it's $45-$50 for the cab ride each way. :? That being said, anyone know of a cheaper way to get to campus?

(I've tried to ask these questions to admissions and they're being a tad slow responding to me and I have to book this flight ASAP)

fly through hobby southwest/airtran or bush with spirit airlines. use expedia etc.

Thanks!

My flight is suppose to get in on Thursday March 21st at 2pm. Anyone also going to be at the bush airport at that time? I may take a shuttle but would be willing to split a cab if someone will be there? I hate travelling alone :(

theres a METRO shuttle that takes you downtown from bush for like 8 bucks? then you can cab it from there...

YES, someone just informed me of this on PM. thanks def will do! See you all there

The Patriot

Postby The Patriot » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:23 pm

It's down to UT or Houston for me. Still waiting to hear from UT but I'm a longshot there. Not getting my hopes up. Due to financial circumstances, I am only considering public institutions and aide offers from Baylor or SMU were not large enough to remedy this.

If you are also serously considering U of H, shoot me a PM. I would love to get to know some of you and discuss the many aspects of law school.

Oprah Winfrey

Postby Oprah Winfrey » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:49 am

Does anyone know the details for Admitted Students Day? Like when/ where we're supposed to show up and all that shiz?

crazeazn

Postby crazeazn » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:11 pm

Oprah Winfrey wrote:Does anyone know the details for Admitted Students Day? Like when/ where we're supposed to show up and all that shiz?

need one of yall to give up yall's spots for me!

nointerests

Postby nointerests » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:56 pm

Is it safe to say that if you haven't received scholarship information with your admittance that you most likely won't be getting any? UH is still cheaper than some schools that have offered me money since I pay in-state, but it sure as hell doesn't make me feel like they want me to attend their school. I've read that UH doesn't really negotiate schollys either so thats why I'm curious.

TexasTemas12

Postby TexasTemas12 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:06 pm

Got in in February with 10k/year scholarship. Recently rejected from UT, so deciding between UH and SMU (23k/year). Withdrew from South Texas (20k/year).

Anybody else deciding between here and SMU?

The Patriot

Postby The Patriot » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:15 pm

nointerests wrote:Is it safe to say that if you haven't received scholarship information with your admittance that you most likely won't be getting any? UH is still cheaper than some schools that have offered me money since I pay in-state, but it sure as hell doesn't make me feel like they want me to attend their school. I've read that UH doesn't really negotiate schollys either so thats why I'm curious.

I believe there's the off chance more money will become available in April once they are able to project their budget. But most of the merit based scholarships have already been given.

JXander

Postby JXander » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:26 am

TexasTemas12 wrote:Got in in February with 10k/year scholarship. Recently rejected from UT, so deciding between UH and SMU (23k/year). Withdrew from South Texas (20k/year).

Yeah, and in terms of job placement, I think SMU is going to win it for me. The Dallas area is also SO much more appealing than the overwhelming H-town.

HoustonLawApp13

Postby HoustonLawApp13 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:57 am

Has anyone been recently accepted. If so, when did your file go under review?

runningman07

Postby runningman07 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:06 pm

TexasTemas12 wrote:Got in in February with 10k/year scholarship. Recently rejected from UT, so deciding between UH and SMU (23k/year). Withdrew from South Texas (20k/year).

I am right there too. I have been back and forth between the two for about a month or so now.

ajhoffman

Postby ajhoffman » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:29 pm

HoustonLawApp13 wrote:Has anyone been recently accepted. If so, when did your file go under review?

I was accepted on March 10 and was in review for about a month and a half.

ajhoffman

Postby ajhoffman » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:29 pm

If anyone here went to the Admitted Student's Day today, care to give any info? I wasn't able to go. Thanks!

Oprah Winfrey

Postby Oprah Winfrey » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:45 am

ajhoffman wrote:If anyone here went to the Admitted Student's Day today, care to give any info? I wasn't able to go. Thanks!

ASD was good. It wasn't super fun or anything but we got a lot of good information on the school and what to expect. We listened to a bunch of speakers, had a mock class(which was pretty interesting), had lunch, talked to current students, and took a tour. Their big selling point was the location. Houston has a big legal market and the U of H alumni network likes to take care of current students. It was deciding between SMU and UofH for me and I think I'm now leaning towards UofH

Incognitus

Postby Incognitus » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:26 am

Oprah Winfrey wrote:ASD was good. It wasn't super fun or anything but we got a lot of good information on the school and what to expect. We listened to a bunch of speakers, had a mock class(which was pretty interesting), had lunch, talked to current students, and took a tour. Their big selling point was the location. Houston has a big legal market and the U of H alumni network likes to take care of current students. It was deciding between SMU and UofH for me and I think I'm now leaning towards UofH

I am currently torn between SMU and UH. I am coming from the midwest, and have familial ties to both cities. Aside from the alumni network, why else are you leaning more towards UH?

mtyler19

Postby mtyler19 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:10 am

Last edited by mtyler19 on Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jredelman15

Postby Jredelman15 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:49 am

Is anyone set on attending?

kjotx

Postby kjotx » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:24 am

I'm 100% set on attending, but I'm a little more of a non-traditional student. I've been out of undergrad (UVa) for almost 5 years, working in a field and industry I enjoy, and starting the part-time program this fall; I'll continue working in my field upon graduation, but just moving into the in-house counsel portion of my department [As the plans stand right now, who knows what 4 years down the road looks like?].

I actually applied last cycle and was accepted, but due to my work travel schedule, had to defer to this fall.

I've been in Houston for the past year, and am a inner-looper (Live in Montrose, just bought in the Heights, and work on the west side of the city) so if anyone has questions about the city, feel free to ask.

zachwooldridge

Postby zachwooldridge » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:16 pm

Just curious, when is the first seat deposit due? I have not gotten a decision yet (and I know acceptance is a long shot for me) but I hate to rule U of H out until they actually tell me no. I hope that I will hear something soon, and figure that more decisions will come out after the first deposit is due.

Jredelman15

Postby Jredelman15 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:03 am

Did anyone receive an e-mail from the financial aid office requiring more information last night? I did and then went to the to-do list and there was nothing there.

ajhoffman

Postby ajhoffman » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:03 am

Jredelman15 wrote:Is anyone set on attending?

I'm set!

kjotx wrote:..and am a inner-looper (Live in Montrose, just bought in the Heights, and work on the west side of the city) so if anyone has questions about the city, feel free to ask.

How do you like living in Montrose?

crazeazn

Postby crazeazn » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:09 am

congrats to all those who are set. hopefully (fingers crossed) i can meet some of yall in the fall.

ajhoffman

Postby ajhoffman » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:46 pm

Is anyone else still waiting for financial aid information?

viz-luv

Postby viz-luv » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:26 pm

Yup. This is where I want to go so it's a bit depressing. :cry:

kjotx

Postby kjotx » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:01 am

ajhoffman wrote:How do you like living in Montrose?

Honestly? I love it. I live on the "northern edge" of Montrose, closer to Allen Pkwy. There's an amazing diversity of restaurants now on lower Westheimer, surface streets aren't too too crowded and it's easy enough to get to all the major interstates (10, 45, 59). The community and culture in Montrose as shifted from the predominantly gay culture to more yuppie, but right now it's a good blending of both in most of Montrose. If gay culture is something you are looking for, this is still the area to be, but overall it's not as dominanting presence in Montrose as it used to be since so many other people have now moved in. As far as "Yuppie" - Well, we do have two different Whole Paychecks Foods within 5 miles while the Woodlands doesn't even have one yet... So yea, I think it's definitely trending towards yuppie.

It's overall a pricey real estate area given that what it takes to buy a nice home in Montrose could easily get you 5 bedrooms, a pool, and a pool boy out in the burbs. Apartments in the larger communities aren't cheap, but if you search HAR.com, it's possible to find some duplexs and smaller units for rent - the good ones priced right go fast (like in a matter of hours).

Food wise -- I think we have the rest of town completely beat. Between Hugo's, Backstreet, Uchi, Dolce Vita, Feast, Anvil (for drinks), etc it's great. That's the one thing I'll miss the most when I officially move to the Heights (The Heights though are just starting to boom in the foodie world so we're be getting better every day, and it's only a few minutes back to Montrose).

Buffalo Bayou has plenty of walking, running, and biking trails that are still being expanded and Memorial Park is only a few minutes away.

Get used to valet parking at a lot of restaurants and places, parking is limited in a lot of places, but I've never been inconvenienced by it yet.

FYI- I originally started looking towards Galleria and Highland Village area, but am glad I ended up where I did since traffic is frustrating there a lot of the time

Overall, it was a great place, convenient to just about everywhere, and perfect for me being new to Houston.

ajhoffman

Postby ajhoffman » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:27 pm

kjotx wrote:
ajhoffman wrote:How do you like living in Montrose?

Honestly? I love it. I live on the "northern edge" of Montrose, closer to Allen Pkwy. There's an amazing diversity of restaurants now on lower Westheimer, surface streets aren't too too crowded and it's easy enough to get to all the major interstates (10, 45, 59). The community and culture in Montrose as shifted from the predominantly gay culture to more yuppie, but right now it's a good blending of both in most of Montrose. If gay culture is something you are looking for, this is still the area to be, but overall it's not as dominanting presence in Montrose as it used to be since so many other people have now moved in. As far as "Yuppie" - Well, we do have two different Whole Paychecks Foods within 5 miles while the Woodlands doesn't even have one yet... So yea, I think it's definitely trending towards yuppie.

It's overall a pricey real estate area given that what it takes to buy a nice home in Montrose could easily get you 5 bedrooms, a pool, and a pool boy out in the burbs. Apartments in the larger communities aren't cheap, but if you search HAR.com, it's possible to find some duplexs and smaller units for rent - the good ones priced right go fast (like in a matter of hours).

Food wise -- I think we have the rest of town completely beat. Between Hugo's, Backstreet, Uchi, Dolce Vita, Feast, Anvil (for drinks), etc it's great. That's the one thing I'll miss the most when I officially move to the Heights (The Heights though are just starting to boom in the foodie world so we're be getting better every day, and it's only a few minutes back to Montrose).

Buffalo Bayou has plenty of walking, running, and biking trails that are still being expanded and Memorial Park is only a few minutes away.

Get used to valet parking at a lot of restaurants and places, parking is limited in a lot of places, but I've never been inconvenienced by it yet.

FYI- I originally started looking towards Galleria and Highland Village area, but am glad I ended up where I did since traffic is frustrating there a lot of the time

Overall, it was a great place, convenient to just about everywhere, and perfect for me being new to Houston.

Thanks! I'm hoping to move there before fall starts, we'll see how it goes.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”