University of Houston (cycle 2012-2013) C\O 2016

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Jredelman15
Posts: 274
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:45 pm

Re: University of Houston (cycle 2012-2013) C\O 2016

Postby Jredelman15 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:37 am

Can anyone comment on the 4 Year Dual JD Program in which you earn a JD in the US and Canada?

nmlf16
Posts: 117
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:01 am

Re: University of Houston (cycle 2012-2013) C\O 2016

Postby nmlf16 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:27 am

Just withdrew my acceptance. Good luck to everyone!

User avatar
airbud
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:01 pm

Re: University of Houston (cycle 2012-2013) C\O 2016

Postby airbud » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:05 pm

Checking in. Submitted 1/4. No mention of status checker or anything like that yet. Will this take a while?

3.85/167/active Marine officer/married with 1 yr old son.

After looking at the acceptances I have so far and the debt accompanied with attendance at any of these schools (I will not get the GI Bill), I figured I'd apply to U of H because: one, I ultimately want to work in Houston and two, I'm hoping to get a sizable scholarship.

We'll see if I hear back soon enough. Wish I had the foresight to apply earlier in the cycle!

BigZuck
Posts: 10874
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: University of Houston (cycle 2012-2013) C\O 2016

Postby BigZuck » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:08 pm

airbud wrote:Checking in. Submitted 1/4. No mention of status checker or anything like that yet. Will this take a while?

3.85/167/active Marine officer/married with 1 yr old son.

After looking at the acceptances I have so far and the debt accompanied with attendance at any of these schools (I will not get the GI Bill), I figured I'd apply to U of H because: one, I ultimately want to work in Houston and two, I'm hoping to get a sizable scholarship.

We'll see if I hear back soon enough. Wish I had the foresight to apply earlier in the cycle!


They will probably give you instate tuition and a 15K scholarship just FYI. UT might offer the same thing.

User avatar
airbud
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:01 pm

Re: University of Houston (cycle 2012-2013) C\O 2016

Postby airbud » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:28 pm

BigZuck wrote:
airbud wrote:Checking in. Submitted 1/4. No mention of status checker or anything like that yet. Will this take a while?

3.85/167/active Marine officer/married with 1 yr old son.

After looking at the acceptances I have so far and the debt accompanied with attendance at any of these schools (I will not get the GI Bill), I figured I'd apply to U of H because: one, I ultimately want to work in Houston and two, I'm hoping to get a sizable scholarship.

We'll see if I hear back soon enough. Wish I had the foresight to apply earlier in the cycle!


They will probably give you instate tuition and a 15K scholarship just FYI. UT might offer the same thing.



While I won't be getting GI Bill benefits, the State of TX has the Hazelwood Act which waives tuition at public schools (including law schools) for vets. So, I can go to UT or UofH tuition-free. I've already been accepted to UT, but it'll still put me at COA around 90-100K or so. Here's what sucks: UT has not offered me any money. Attending to UofH for nearly free would be very appealing to me given my family situation. This is why I'm crossing my fingers for scholarships.

For the record, if H or S accepts me (had to throw these hail-mary apps), I'll go regardless of debt hah.

BigZuck
Posts: 10874
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: University of Houston (cycle 2012-2013) C\O 2016

Postby BigZuck » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:44 pm

How will COA be 90k if you're not paying tuition? Outside of tuition all you are paying for is room and board, etc. UT will only budget you like 20K a year max so COA would be 60K max.

Also if UH gives you a scholarship that will only go toward tuition. You can't have tuition paid by another program then use whatever they offer you to pay for living expenses.

Jredelman15
Posts: 274
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:45 pm

Re: University of Houston (cycle 2012-2013) C\O 2016

Postby Jredelman15 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:03 pm

I am having zero success with getting in contact with someone to talk to about scholarships and its starting to make me not like the school. I have called and emailed. Has anyone attempted to start negotiating or called the school and they actually helped you?

User avatar
JXander
Posts: 960
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:23 am

Re: University of Houston (cycle 2012-2013) C\O 2016

Postby JXander » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:29 pm

Jredelman15 wrote:I am having zero success with getting in contact with someone to talk to about scholarships and its starting to make me not like the school. I have called and emailed. Has anyone attempted to start negotiating or called the school and they actually helped you?

Dude, they gave me a crap load of trouble with just the residency forms. I understand that they are very hard to work with on a lot of issues.

Jredelman15
Posts: 274
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:45 pm

Re: University of Houston (cycle 2012-2013) C\O 2016

Postby Jredelman15 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:33 am

Just typed up a massive email outlining the reasons I deserve a merit scholarship. Hopefully they take that under consideration. If you are thinking about negotiating make sure you have the other offers scanned because they will ask for them. Most people would think of this but getting to a scanner was a pain in the ass for me.

User avatar
hobie2515
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: University of Houston (cycle 2012-2013) C\O 2016

Postby hobie2515 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:37 pm

Just went under review 1/22/2013. Make it quick H-Town.

nba101790
Posts: 475
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:05 pm

Re: University of Houston (cycle 2012-2013) C\O 2016

Postby nba101790 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:40 pm

hobie2515 wrote:Just went under review 1/22/2013. Make it quick H-Town.


Me as well. Best of luck to you!

patricksouthern
Posts: 141
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:12 am

Re: University of Houston (cycle 2012-2013) C\O 2016

Postby patricksouthern » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:41 pm

Withdrew my acceptance today. Good luck everyone!

Jredelman15
Posts: 274
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:45 pm

Re: University of Houston (cycle 2012-2013) C\O 2016

Postby Jredelman15 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:28 am

I have begun to try and negotiate with the school. I just checked my status checker and it says decision letter mailed. Does this mean they are gonna rescind my offer of acceptance? I didn't think I was rude... I'm freaking right now. I'm just hoping they mailed a scholarship letter instead. Maybe I'm being paranoid.

User avatar
hobie2515
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: University of Houston (cycle 2012-2013) C\O 2016

Postby hobie2515 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:54 am

Jredelman15 wrote:I have begun to try and negotiate with the school. I just checked my status checker and it says decision letter mailed. Does this mean they are gonna rescind my offer of acceptance? I didn't think I was rude... I'm freaking right now. I'm just hoping they mailed a scholarship letter instead. Maybe I'm being paranoid.


Ha calm down, my guess is they just sent you the snail mail packet, which may include scholarship info. I don't think schools rescind scholarship offers on the basis of negotiating for more money. Unless of course you sent a profanity laced/racially insensitive/bordeline psychotic demand that Houston "show you the money".

User avatar
shifty_eyed
Posts: 1934
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:09 pm

Re: University of Houston (cycle 2012-2013) C\O 2016

Postby shifty_eyed » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:00 pm

Submitted today. Anyone who hasn't applied yet, don't be afraid to solicit a fee waiver! I asked for one yesterday and received it today.

User avatar
crazyducky924
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:33 pm

Re: University of Houston (cycle 2012-2013) C\O 2016

Postby crazyducky924 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:33 pm

Submitted today. One of my top choices!

Morticiaroxanne
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:21 pm

Re: University of Houston (cycle 2012-2013) C\O 2016

Postby Morticiaroxanne » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:25 pm

1/22 Application in review. Houston is one of my top choices as well.

aep1989
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:46 am

Re: University of Houston (cycle 2012-2013) C\O 2016

Postby aep1989 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:32 pm

In today via status checker for FT!

nba101790
Posts: 475
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:05 pm

Re: University of Houston (cycle 2012-2013) C\O 2016

Postby nba101790 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:36 pm

Morticiaroxanne wrote:1/22 Application in review. Houston is one of my top choices as well.


Moi aussi. Getting anxious!

Morticiaroxanne
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:21 pm

Re: University of Houston (cycle 2012-2013) C\O 2016

Postby Morticiaroxanne » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:01 pm

nba101790 wrote:
Morticiaroxanne wrote:1/22 Application in review. Houston is one of my top choices as well.


Moi aussi. Getting anxious!



When did you apply? I spoke with the people in the admissions office and they told me it could take a few weeks... Not to worry. Etc

nba101790
Posts: 475
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:05 pm

Re: University of Houston (cycle 2012-2013) C\O 2016

Postby nba101790 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:03 pm

Morticiaroxanne wrote:
nba101790 wrote:
Morticiaroxanne wrote:1/22 Application in review. Houston is one of my top choices as well.


Moi aussi. Getting anxious!



When did you apply? I spoke with the people in the admissions office and they told me it could take a few weeks... Not to worry. Etc



1/14, UR since 1/16. Less than two weeks; it's just felt much longer.

elliephant
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:39 pm

Re: University of Houston (cycle 2012-2013) C\O 2016

Postby elliephant » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:58 pm

Offered in-state tuition plus partial scholly. Think I would be able to negotiate a full-tuition by mentioning a full offer from another slightly lower-ranked school (also second tier)? Or does the lower ranking make it not carry much weight?

Also which department are you guys contacting for negotiation

Jredelman15
Posts: 274
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:45 pm

Re: University of Houston (cycle 2012-2013) C\O 2016

Postby Jredelman15 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:28 pm

elliephant wrote:Offered in-state tuition plus partial scholly. Think I would be able to negotiate a full-tuition by mentioning a full offer from another slightly lower-ranked school (also second tier)? Or does the lower ranking make it not carry much weight?

Also which department are you guys contacting for negotiation


It is certainly worth a shot to try and get the full scholly. I sent it to Jamie. You can send it to her or Nathan in the Admissions department. They will want you to scan or fax the offer so make sure you can get to one.

Learning9
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:37 pm

Re: University of Houston (cycle 2012-2013) C\O 2016

Postby Learning9 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:16 am

Anyone here under review for over a month? I submitted my application back in November for ED (everything was completed on time). It went under review on 12/7 and the review date on updated on 12/21. Still under review!

My stats are low for UH but still hoping I'll get accepted. Has anyone been rejected yet?

User avatar
JXander
Posts: 960
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:23 am

Re: University of Houston (cycle 2012-2013) C\O 2016

Postby JXander » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:31 am

Learning9 wrote:My stats are low for UH but still hoping I'll get accepted. Has anyone been rejected yet?

There's only one rejection recorded on LSN.

It seems UH is moving slow and steady. I went complete 11/20, UR on 1/8, and still nada.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”