SLU Law applicants 2016

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
katep77

Re: SLU Law applicants 2016

Postby katep77 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:17 pm

When did those of you who received decisions go under review? I've been under review since jan 2 and I'm going insane checking it. How long should I expect to wait?

msanders44

Postby msanders44 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:39 pm

to be honest I don't remember, but I think it was under review for 2-3 weeks but I may be misremembering

illiniguy1551

Postby illiniguy1551 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:40 pm

In review since 1/2/13, got acceptance email ($66k) today. I know last year I got accepted around Jan 15, so this week and next week should see a lot of movement.

westie25

Postby westie25 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:26 pm

Since 1/2. SLU is slooooooooowwwwww. I've heard this from multiple people who have applied in previous cycles. Just keep that in mind to save your sanity while checking & waiting. Good luck!

Username123

Postby Username123 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:59 pm

I've been in review since December 12.

FML :(

msanders44

Postby msanders44 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:54 pm

I'm sure your decision will be any day now. I know it's so hard to be patient in this process

Username123

Postby Username123 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:10 am

Thanks for the support! Something positive happened today actually - everything but the "current status date" remained the same on my online status checker. However, the date was changed to today's date of 01/14/2013. Just seemed peculiar to me. Probably means a rejection. FML

westie25

Postby westie25 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:28 am

Uschoolqb10 wrote:Thanks for the support! Something positive happened today actually - everything but the "current status date" remained the same on my online status checker. However, the date was changed to today's date of 01/14/2013. Just seemed peculiar to me. Probably means a rejection. FML

I wouldn't give up hope. You have the #s.

Do you have ties to STL? SLU is big on STL ties.

Username123

Postby Username123 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:49 am

westie25 wrote:
Uschoolqb10 wrote:Thanks for the support! Something positive happened today actually - everything but the "current status date" remained the same on my online status checker. However, the date was changed to today's date of 01/14/2013. Just seemed peculiar to me. Probably means a rejection. FML

I wouldn't give up hope. You have the #s.

Do you have ties to STL? SLU is big on STL ties.

Yes I do have ties to STL. My fiancée goes to Graduate School at WashU and we would love to live in St. Louis following the completion of our studies. I wrote a separate LOCI for SLU in addition to the application. Hopefully I am accepted.

katep77

Postby katep77 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:03 pm

If you look at previous cycles usually the change of status date is followed by a change of status :) good luck!!!

westie25

Postby westie25 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:38 pm

ADMITTED!

Just rec'vd the email. Last night, it switched to "Decision made, letter to follow shortly." I've been on pins & needles since.

katep77

Postby katep77 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:26 am

Congrats!!!! What were your stats if you don't mind sharing? Still waiting here... My iPhone dies about twice a day at this point from obsessively checking!

westie25

Postby westie25 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:44 am

katep77 wrote:Congrats!!!! What were your stats if you don't mind sharing? Still waiting here... My iPhone dies about twice a day at this point from obsessively checking!

Thank you! My "In Review" date switched from 1/2 to 1/9. Then it switched to "Decision Made" about 5 days later. Good luck! I'm sure you'll be hearing something soon.

3.89/150. High GPA, not great LSAT - it is what it is at this point. A.A.S. & B.S. both obtained from local STL college & university. I've lived in STL my entire life. Great LORs. Strong PS. And 7+ years of employment in the STL legal market.

illiniguy1551

Postby illiniguy1551 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:12 am

westie25 wrote:
katep77 wrote:Congrats!!!! What were your stats if you don't mind sharing? Still waiting here... My iPhone dies about twice a day at this point from obsessively checking!

Thank you! My "In Review" date switched from 1/2 to 1/9. Then it switched to "Decision Made" about 5 days later. Good luck! I'm sure you'll be hearing something soon.

3.89/150. High GPA, not great LSAT - it is what it is at this point. A.A.S. & B.S. both obtained from local STL college & university. I've lived in STL my entire life. Great LORs. Strong PS. And 7+ years of employment in the STL legal market.

You seem like a good source for information on SLU. I'm from central Illinois (two hours away) and pretty certain I will be at SLU this fall. Obviously having hometown ties gives certain people advantages, but how do people fare in STL legal market that are not from the immediate area? Is the SLU brand really that strong in St. Louis?

westie25

Postby westie25 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:25 am

illiniguy1551 wrote: You seem like a good source for information on SLU. I'm from central Illinois (two hours away) and pretty certain I will be at SLU this fall. Obviously having hometown ties gives certain people advantages, but how do people fare in STL legal market that are not from the immediate area? Is the SLU brand really that strong in St. Louis?

Sure. I can give you some insight.

Over the years, I have worked with many attorneys who graduated from SLU. In the STL legal market, SLU performs very well. I would even say it tends to out perform WashU. SLU has a very stong alumni network in the STL legal market. SLU's reputation nationwide isn't that great; however, in STL it's considered to be a top notch law school.

STL is a bigger city with a small town attitude. What does that mean? Connections matter a lot in STL. Having a SLU connection is a good thing. Does it help even more to have strong ties to STL? Yes. It does. However, having the SLU connections plus a desire to stay in STL matters, too. Therefore, non-locals with SLU ties do well when they desire to stay in STL.

A few examples to show how connections matter (not just SLU)... (1) At my 1st law firm, almost all summer law interns were pulled from SLU & WashU. There was usually one (maybe two) from Mizzou, & maybe one from some other law school. Of the new attorneys I saw hired while there (with the exception of the older ones), all came from SLU or WashU. (2) At my 2nd law firm all of the attorneys in the STL office came from SLU or Mizzou. (3) At my current job, my boss only hires a law intern from WashU, because it's where she went.

Hope that gave you a little insight. :)

illiniguy1551

Postby illiniguy1551 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:03 am

Yeah that definitely makes sense. I just wanted to make sure that STL wasn't as hardcore as the small Midwestern towns about ties (up here, hometown connections trump grades, prestige, everything). I asked this question at the Open House and got the whole "SLU Law Rulz in STL" even if you are from out of town. But you have to take everything admissions officers say with a tub of salt right?

westie25

Postby westie25 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:40 pm

Exactly. Admissions officers tell you what you want to hear. In this instance, they were truthful. :) The majority of SLU law grads stay in Missouri. I think this is why SLU has such a good rep in the STL market, even for out-of-towners. The majority of WashU grads skip out of town/state after graduation, which I think is the reason for SLU out performing WashU in the legal market.

msanders44

Postby msanders44 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:33 pm

illiniguy1551 wrote:
westie25 wrote:

You seem like a good source for information on SLU. I'm from central Illinois (two hours away) and pretty certain I will be at SLU this fall. Obviously having hometown ties gives certain people advantages, but how do people fare in STL legal market that are not from the immediate area? Is the SLU brand really that strong in St. Louis?

did you mention anything about wanting to stay in STL after graduation in personal statement, I think that goes a long way. If you don't mind me asking, what were your numbers and where'd you get your undergrad?

Username123

Postby Username123 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:36 pm

This wait is taking forever. Wtffffffffffff

illiniguy1551

Postby illiniguy1551 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:49 pm

Uschoolqb10 wrote:This wait is taking forever. Wtffffffffffff

You would think SLU would be faster with 22% less applicants than previous application cycles. Nope. I think a big factor in the extra long delay is the huge class size reduction in matriculants for last year's class (which is why their LSAT median jumped 2 points and GPA jumped up too). They cut it by almost 100 people. They mentioned at the Open House a couple of weeks ago that they are targeting a similarly sized class this year. This means they can be more selective as to who they accept (i.e. higher numbers / people with sincere interest in SLU Law). The biggest benefit of this to us will be severely less competition within SLU for all of the jobs in Saint Louis upon graduation, since SLU pawns St. Louis.

I went to the Open House, and emailed them after expressing an interest to be hear a decision. Three days later I was accepted with a sizable scholarship, with a personal PS from the admissions officer I had previously emailed. If you are close I would recommend visiting and showing a tangible interest, they seem to place a lot of value in it.

But I could also just be making all this up, I am a 0L after all.

JK910

Postby JK910 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:24 pm

Exactly right... They are "right sizing" the law school to better match employment prospects. Also, the new Dean will be named in a few weeks once contract negotiations are finalized. After a pretty rough patch, the school seems to at least be crawling in the right direction.

As for employment prospects, it all starts with experience from internships. To get internships, it's grades, connections (that you can make once you start school, its not hard if you actually try), prior real life experience, and personality. Good performance at a good internship usually leads to pretty good employment prospects.

illiniguy1551 wrote:
Uschoolqb10 wrote:This wait is taking forever. Wtffffffffffff

You would think SLU would be faster with 22% less applicants than previous application cycles. Nope. I think a big factor in the extra long delay is the huge class size reduction in matriculants for last year's class (which is why their LSAT median jumped 2 points and GPA jumped up too). They cut it by almost 100 people. They mentioned at the Open House a couple of weeks ago that they are targeting a similarly sized class this year. This means they can be more selective as to who they accept (i.e. higher numbers / people with sincere interest in SLU Law). The biggest benefit of this to us will be severely less competition within SLU for all of the jobs in Saint Louis upon graduation, since SLU pawns St. Louis.

I went to the Open House, and emailed them after expressing an interest to be hear a decision. Three days later I was accepted with a sizable scholarship, with a personal PS from the admissions officer I had previously emailed. If you are close I would recommend visiting and showing a tangible interest, they seem to place a lot of value in it.

But I could also just be making all this up, I am a 0L after all.

Username123

Postby Username123 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:48 pm

"Decision Made, Letter mailed shortly" last night 01.22.2013.

Received the acceptance email this morning where I was informed that I would be receiving $57,000 in scholarship money over my three years there!

I have a place to live for about 150-200$ a month so that makes it cost efficient, as well. This is definitely a top choice for me.

I am looking forward to ASW and meeting many of the other prospective students! I have been to St. Louis a ton of times - my girlfriend lives in University City. Such a great feel in the community. I love it. :lol:

katep77

Postby katep77 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:45 pm

Called in earlier this week and spoke to Alice in admissions. She informed me I would be seeing a decision by Wednesday of next week for any of you who are stuck waiting like I am... Under review since jan 2. Need good vibes after touring umkc today and it being a total dud even though I was told I'll be offered admission :/.

Postby 1984 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:44 pm

In. No word on scholly yet.

katep77

Postby katep77 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:57 pm

Email time? I'm praying I didn't get wait listed. Status checker finally changed to decision made.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”