Notre Dame Class of 2016 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
CMHCLT

Re: Notre Dame Class of 2016 Applicants

Postby CMHCLT » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:55 pm

Xs20 wrote:I sent in an update/LOCI a few months ago, was waitlisted since November. Honestly I just can't justify paying $45,000 more to go to ND instead of WUSTL.

Sounds like we face a similar dilemma. I ended up chosing ND instead because:
A. in the long-term life of the loan, $45k won't be as consequential as it feels right now.
B. Smaller class size at ND = many benefits
C. I actually believe in the ND "brand" more than WUSTL and would prefer that lifelong association (also got a really got a good vibe from the visit compared to a meh visit from WUSTL)
D. Am not impressed by rankings difference on US News or what seems like inconsequential differences in employment numbers on LST (~4%).
E. From the midwest. ND>WUSTL in the market I'm interested in

jing87

Postby jing87 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:09 pm

Dream Weave wrote:
jing87 wrote:
boblawlob wrote:
Xs20 wrote:In off the WL via phone call, $75k scholarship. I have a significantly higher offer from a peer school so I'll probably be withdrawing.

jing87 wrote:I just got off of the WL today and offered 25K too. I got full ride from Minnesota so now it is really hard to decide. They are peer schools but Notre Dame has a better employment rate.
I already put 750$ seat deposit to Minnesota, I even paid my apartment deposit already.
Anyone any suggestions?

Did either of you send LOCIs?

No, I haven't contacted neither of them since be waitlisted. (Both waitlisted me since December)

Jing- did you write a "why nd" in your original app?

Yes,I wrote it.

Xs20

Postby Xs20 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:14 pm

CMHCLT wrote:
Xs20 wrote:I sent in an update/LOCI a few months ago, was waitlisted since November. Honestly I just can't justify paying $45,000 more to go to ND instead of WUSTL.

Sounds like we face a similar dilemma. I ended up chosing ND instead because:
A. in the long-term life of the loan, $45k won't be as consequential as it feels right now.
B. Smaller class size at ND = many benefits
C. I actually believe in the ND "brand" more than WUSTL and would prefer that lifelong association (also got a really got a good vibe from the visit compared to a meh visit from WUSTL)
D. Am not impressed by rankings difference on US News or what seems like inconsequential differences in employment numbers on LST (~4%).
E. From the midwest. ND>WUSTL in the market I'm interested in

Good points, thanks for your take on it. It's a tough call for sure. To be honest, at equal cost, I would probably take ND. But, for me, 120k vs. 75k is too big a difference to justify it.

A is more of a concern for me because of how I'll be financing law school. $45k feels pretty consequential to go to a school with, at best, equal employment opportunities vis-a-vis my personal goals.

B is true, although WUSTL is shooting for around 200 this year, which isn't that far off ND's class size. At least, not enough so to be very significant, in my opinion.

C - Agreed that in the Midwest, ND seems to have a stronger name, at least in terms of lay prestige. This is really the only thing that draws me to ND over WUSTL, but it's just not worth that price to me. Also, the opposite is true for me regarding the school visits. I absolutely loved WUSTL, whereas ND was a pretty meh feel, although the campus was beautiful.

D - The LST numbers for the two are pretty similar, with an edge to WUSTL. But when you consider that WUSTL's graduating class size last year was over 60% bigger than ND's, and almost 40% bigger than this year's incoming class is expected to be, I think you could make the case that WUSTL's incoming class may have a better job outlook than this year's numbers suggest, compared to ND.

E - Personal preference, but yeah, I'm sure ND is stronger than WUSTL in certain markets, and vice versa. For the market I'm interested in, I'm not sure that either one has a considerable advantage.

nkime

Postby nkime » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:27 pm

Got in from waitlist with 25k/yr. Now I'm in the serious dilemma, too.
I was planning to enroll BC with sticker because BC doesn't give scholarships to international students.
(sent both seat deposits)
I want to end up in NYC or Boston. If my target market is NYC, where do you guys think I should be going?
Does ND have prestige outside the Midwest?

sublime

Postby sublime » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:28 pm

matrim

Postby matrim » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:42 pm

nkime wrote:Got in from waitlist with 25k/yr. Now I'm in the serious dilemma, too.
I was planning to enroll BC with sticker because BC doesn't give scholarships to international students.
I want to end up in NYC or Boston. If my target market is NYC, where do you guys think I should be going?

I think ND will place close to the same as BC in NYC, I think BC grads (14% for class 2012 went to either NY, NJ or PA) and ND is similar. Your total Debt at ND (scholly + COL) should be much lower then BC (no scholly + COL) right? I think having less debt in this scenario makes ND a clear choice. But if you are set on Boston...BC is a better choice.

lawling2016

Postby lawling2016 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:10 am

matrim wrote:
nkime wrote:Got in from waitlist with 25k/yr. Now I'm in the serious dilemma, too.

I think ND will place close to the same as BC in NYC, I think BC grads (14% for class 2012 went to either NY, NJ or PA) and ND is similar. Your total Debt at ND (scholly + COL) should be much lower then BC (no scholly + COL) right? I think having less debt in this scenario makes ND a clear choice. But if you are set on Boston...BC is a better choice.

I've heard that if you want NY, BC > ND. Also, you said you want to end up in NY or Boston. In this case, it's not even a competition. Neither school guarantees you NY, remember. So, though you'll save money, you may be stuck in the midwest if you go to ND. I love ND, but I also want to live in the midwest.

sublime

Postby sublime » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:21 am

Postby 2013 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:49 am

If people were taken off today, does that mean those of us who haven't heard have to wait until double deposit people tell ND no?

nkime

Postby nkime » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:28 am

Thanks for the advice!
For those who are curious about my numbers: 164, Superior (no numerical GPA).
I wrote Why ND essay, but no LOCI. Waitlisted in late October.
I know I'm very lucky to get 25k/yr with my number.

When I decided to apply to law schools in the U.S., I planned to pay sticker, but this scholly is really tempting.

blackie5

Postby blackie5 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:36 am

Congrats to the people who got off the waitlist!

How were you contacted? Im jelly... I updated my application regularly :(

jdmonkey

Postby jdmonkey » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:31 pm

Withdrew from wait list. Good luck to everybody still waiting.

jing87

Postby jing87 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:47 pm

Has anyone here successfully negotiated more money from ND ? I got full ride from Minnesota and 25k from NF, tried to ask more but ND said they don't match scholarship offer.

sublime

Postby sublime » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:49 pm

L-a-w

Postby L-a-w » Wed May 01, 2013 12:33 pm

I just got a missed call from ayman or something like that re waitlist. He said he had a couple of questions. Is that the phone call the people who got
Off the waitlist got or is this some time of interview? (I'm at work with no résumé or anything so I don't wanna call right now if its an interview)

Grazzhoppa

Postby Grazzhoppa » Wed May 01, 2013 1:49 pm

L-a-w wrote:I just got a missed call from ayman or something like that re waitlist. He said he had a couple of questions. Is that the phone call the people who got
Off the waitlist got or is this some time of interview? (I'm at work with no résumé or anything so I don't wanna call right now if its an interview)

I really doubt its an interview. I have no facts to back this up but random interviewing seems a little ridiculous to me.

BruCam

Postby BruCam » Wed May 01, 2013 2:05 pm

L-a-w wrote:I just got a missed call from ayman or something like that re waitlist. He said he had a couple of questions. Is that the phone call the people who got

I got a similar call, they just asked a couple questions. Maybe just to gauge interest (yield)?

Dream Weave

Postby Dream Weave » Wed May 01, 2013 2:07 pm

BruCam wrote:

I got a similar call, they just asked a couple questions. Maybe just to gauge interest (yield)?

This. I didnt do a why notre dame. I think eamon is basically taking it upon himself to do them for the admissions committee. Depending on scholly, I would seriously consider going.

StLNE

Postby StLNE » Wed May 01, 2013 5:08 pm

Smarter than me... I picked up without thinking and was totally unprepared. Any consensus on how important this call is? Did anyone get the call last week and not get admitted on the spot?

dougfunny

Postby dougfunny » Wed May 01, 2013 7:17 pm

StLNE wrote:

Smarter than me... I picked up without thinking and was totally unprepared. Any consensus on how important this call is? Did anyone get the call last week and not get admitted on the spot?

+1

The person that called me mentioned no scholly money was available though and I lol'ed and said I couldn't even consider answering her questions if that was true so I think it's safe to say I'll be passed over on the wait list.

Dream Weave

Postby Dream Weave » Wed May 01, 2013 7:24 pm

That's odd- the guy I spoke to said money was still available for people on the waitlist. It's notre dame- they always have money and their class is tiny!

http://abovethelaw.com/careers/law-school-rankings

Notre dame killed it

dougfunny

Postby dougfunny » Wed May 01, 2013 7:34 pm

Dream Weave wrote:That's odd- the guy I spoke to said money was still available for people on the waitlist. It's notre dame- they always have money and their class is tiny!

http://abovethelaw.com/careers/law-school-rankings

Notre dame killed it

Yeah I found it hard to believe too but there is no way they would have beaten an offer I have elsewhere so I didn't really want to answer her questions at this point. Best of luck to everyone else though. I hope they throw the people waiting some money still.

anmssr

Postby anmssr » Thu May 02, 2013 4:44 pm

So, waitlist people who were contacted to chat on the phone... can you help me out! I received an email 'concerning my status as waitlist', and wants to chat. Is it an interview, or just a few questions to gauge interest? Was there any follow up offer for people in this same situation?
I appreciate your help!

UMich11

Postby UMich11 » Thu May 02, 2013 5:03 pm

anmssr wrote:So, waitlist people who were contacted to chat on the phone... can you help me out! I received an email 'concerning my status as waitlist', and wants to chat. Is it an interview, or just a few questions to gauge interest? Was there any follow up offer for people in this same situation?
I appreciate your help!

Not an answer, but a question in line with this.

Did those who received these calls/emails submit the Why ND essay and/or do an LOCI since being put on the WL?

bluegoldbearz

Postby bluegoldbearz » Thu May 02, 2013 8:08 pm

Just got off the WL with 10k/year. I love Notre Dame but I am in at a bunch of other schools similar in ranking. I am already committed at UCI with way more money, and I ultimately want to work in Southern California. I need help deciding!!!!! :shock: :shock:

edit: UCI and ND are my top two choices

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”