Notre Dame Class of 2016 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
wannabelawstudent
Posts: 2588
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:33 pm

Re: Notre Dame Class of 2016 Applicants

Postby wannabelawstudent » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:08 pm

Nah just Emory or ND if you want Boston.

User avatar
Homelandsagreatshow
Posts: 168
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:19 pm

Re: Notre Dame Class of 2016 Applicants

Postby Homelandsagreatshow » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:16 pm

Notre Dame. I forget what question you asked, but the answer is Notre Dame. Did you know they have a 10% Federal Clerkship rate?

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: Notre Dame Class of 2016 Applicants

Postby DoveBodyWash » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:58 pm

matrim wrote: I mentioned that before reading TLS, I hadnt heard of Emory (not to say bad school, just not a nationally branded school).


lay prestige is not the same thing as law school brand power among legal employers

User avatar
sublime
Posts: 15411
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: Notre Dame Class of 2016 Applicants

Postby sublime » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:24 pm

..

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: Notre Dame Class of 2016 Applicants

Postby DoveBodyWash » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:25 pm

sublime wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:
sublime wrote:Yes, ND probably has more "reach" than the schools you mentioned, especially in NYC, but the way I look at it is, if you want to work in Boston, you are better at BC/BU, NYC? Then go to Fordham? DC? GO to GWU, etc. Their clerkship number is nice, but it certainly does not make up for having to employ more than 1 in 5 or its graduates to keep the unemployment rate respectable to people who don't look at the numbers in detail.


Anyone know why the numbers jumped from around 20% school funded to almost none in just one year? Is LST off?! Something's not right here...



No idea, but for c/o 2011, USNWR lists:

Graduates employed in law school/university funded positions at graduation 39.5%

Graduates employed in law school/university funded positions 9 months after graduation 22.6%


Does seem strange. First instinct is gaming the numbers, but I have nothing to support that. Those numbers are HUGE though for c/o 2011


Was the class size significantly shrink or something?

User avatar
sublime
Posts: 15411
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: Notre Dame Class of 2016 Applicants

Postby sublime » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:27 pm

..

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3402
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: Notre Dame Class of 2016 Applicants

Postby ManoftheHour » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:22 pm

sublime wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:
sublime wrote:Yes, ND probably has more "reach" than the schools you mentioned, especially in NYC, but the way I look at it is, if you want to work in Boston, you are better at BC/BU, NYC? Then go to Fordham? DC? GO to GWU, etc. Their clerkship number is nice, but it certainly does not make up for having to employ more than 1 in 5 or its graduates to keep the unemployment rate respectable to people who don't look at the numbers in detail.


Anyone know why the numbers jumped from around 20% school funded to almost none in just one year? Is LST off?! Something's not right here...



No idea, but for c/o 2011, USNWR lists:

Graduates employed in law school/university funded positions at graduation 39.5%

Graduates employed in law school/university funded positions 9 months after graduation 22.6%


Does seem strange. First instinct is gaming the numbers, but I have nothing to support that. Those numbers are HUGE though for c/o 2011


That's what I thought. The fact that it went from 22.6% to 2% in just one year is rather strange. It would make sense if the class of 2011 just generally struck out and the university hired them to game their numbers. Maybe it wasn't the case for the class of 2012? From what I've heard, this school is incredibly rich. I suppose they could afford to shell out money to hire their own grads for that year to ensure no drop in their ranking.

User avatar
deuceindc
Posts: 247
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:11 pm

Re: Notre Dame Class of 2016 Applicants

Postby deuceindc » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:47 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:
sublime wrote:
No idea, but for c/o 2011, USNWR lists:

Graduates employed in law school/university funded positions at graduation 39.5%

Graduates employed in law school/university funded positions 9 months after graduation 22.6%


Does seem strange. First instinct is gaming the numbers, but I have nothing to support that. Those numbers are HUGE though for c/o 2011


That's what I thought. The fact that it went from 22.6% to 2% in just one year is rather strange. It would make sense if the class of 2011 just generally struck out and the university hired them to game their numbers. Maybe it wasn't the case for the class of 2012? From what I've heard, this school is incredibly rich. I suppose they could afford to shell out money to hire their own grads for that year to ensure no drop in their ranking.


One of ND's placement programs pays recent grads a living stipend while they intern/volunteer in the region that they're trying to work in, for up to 7 months (IIRC) to network and get a full-time job. The 17% drop could be those grads who managed to network their way into paying jobs (which is a lot, honestly, so hopefully that means the program works) or they re-classified some of them into gov't or whatever field they intern in.

I would also guess that the 20% drop in school-funded positions is just the numbers from that program being reclassified into the respective field in which the students are interning, or into the unemployed number - the latter would require a striking amount of honesty from a law school.

I'm just spit-balling, though; this could be way off.

User avatar
Grazzhoppa
Posts: 218
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:00 am

Re: Notre Dame Class of 2016 Applicants

Postby Grazzhoppa » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:23 pm

So I was at ASW this weekend and this question came up. Basically since then ND has hired a whole new CDO. The CDO director said they didn't do the right things in 2011 (before he arrived to the school) and that in 2012 only 3 students were in school funded positions. He was a no bullshit kind of guy.

matrim
Posts: 106
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:21 pm

Re: Notre Dame Class of 2016 Applicants

Postby matrim » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:34 pm

Grazzhoppa wrote:So I was at ASW this weekend and this question came up. Basically since then ND has hired a whole new CDO. The CDO director said they didn't do the right things in 2011 (before he arrived to the school) and that in 2012 only 3 students were in school funded positions. He was a no bullshit kind of guy.

How was it at ASW? Lots of people? Things you like the most?

User avatar
Grazzhoppa
Posts: 218
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:00 am

Re: Notre Dame Class of 2016 Applicants

Postby Grazzhoppa » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:04 pm

ASW was awesome. The students and faculty were all really impressive and welcoming. The facilities were amazing. Prospective students were very nice as well with lots of different experiences. The school clearly draws students from all over the country. I highly recommend attending next weekend if you can make the trip. The career development office's presentation was probably my favorite event, but overall I left extremely impressed.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Notre Dame Class of 2016 Applicants

Postby ndirish2010 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:45 pm

The new CDO is FAR better than what we had when I was a 1L....I'm not sure how much it helps, but they are definitely more competent.

User avatar
CMHCLT
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:48 am

Re: Notre Dame Class of 2016 Applicants

Postby CMHCLT » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:12 pm

Got a good vibe from the school. moved from "Eh" to top choice after an informal visit. wish I had more money offered, though. sounds like class sizes are shrinking for the first time in history = +!. also the new CSO is impressive and encouraging as they are undergoing their second year. seems like a good time to be headed to South Bend.

matrim
Posts: 106
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:21 pm

Re: Notre Dame Class of 2016 Applicants

Postby matrim » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:35 pm

CMHCLT wrote:Got a good vibe from the school. moved from "Eh" to top choice after an informal visit. wish I had more money offered, though. sounds like class sizes are shrinking for the first time in history = +!. also the new CSO is impressive and encouraging as they are undergoing their second year. seems like a good time to be headed to South Bend.

Yeah, no lie, I did a visit when I was in the area, and was blown away by the campus, faculty, admin, and my escort student. Was actually surprised how much I loved it.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Notre Dame Class of 2016 Applicants

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:09 am

Just curious, what did they say they were dropping class size to?

User avatar
CMHCLT
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:48 am

Re: Notre Dame Class of 2016 Applicants

Postby CMHCLT » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:31 am

ndirish2010 wrote:Just curious, what did they say they were dropping class size to?

Anecdotal:they're expecting about 160, was told

rmp
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:48 pm

Re: Notre Dame Class of 2016 Applicants

Postby rmp » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:46 pm

Opinions please: ND at sticker or a different top 50 school in Cali with tuition fully paid? Plan to practice in California also. The different is approx 45k/year and about 20-30 places in ranking.

User avatar
nsideirish
Posts: 416
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:32 am

Re: Notre Dame Class of 2016 Applicants

Postby nsideirish » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:19 pm

rmp wrote:Opinions please: ND at sticker or a different top 50 school in Cali with tuition fully paid? Plan to practice in California also. The different is approx 45k/year and about 20-30 places in ranking.



I wouldn't do ND at sticker under any circumstances...but coupled with the fact that you want to practice in Cali, absolutely do not do it.

And this is coming from someone who loves ND.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Notre Dame Class of 2016 Applicants

Postby ndirish2010 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:20 pm

CMHCLT wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:Just curious, what did they say they were dropping class size to?

Anecdotal:they're expecting about 160, was told


That will help us quite a bit. I think the school is definitely moving in the right direction.

rmp wrote:Opinions please: ND at sticker or a different top 50 school in Cali with tuition fully paid? Plan to practice in California also. The different is approx 45k/year and about 20-30 places in ranking.


Retake.

Jonathk1
Posts: 113
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:56 pm

Re: Notre Dame Class of 2016 Applicants

Postby Jonathk1 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:34 pm

Is there a FB group yet for c/o 2016?

PRgradBYU
Posts: 1419
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:04 pm

Re: Notre Dame Class of 2016 Applicants

Postby PRgradBYU » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:37 pm

Just withdrew. Good luck everyone!

User avatar
Grazzhoppa
Posts: 218
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:00 am

Re: Notre Dame Class of 2016 Applicants

Postby Grazzhoppa » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:07 pm

Jonathk1 wrote:Is there a FB group yet for c/o 2016?


Yes. Search "NDLS Admitted Students Class of 2016"

Jonathk1
Posts: 113
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:56 pm

Re: Notre Dame Class of 2016 Applicants

Postby Jonathk1 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:26 pm

Can you pull the link for me? Can't seem to find it on FB.

User avatar
Grazzhoppa
Posts: 218
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:00 am

Re: Notre Dame Class of 2016 Applicants

Postby Grazzhoppa » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:34 pm


User avatar
gatorgirl2012
Posts: 273
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:57 am

Re: Notre Dame Class of 2016 Applicants

Postby gatorgirl2012 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:56 pm

Fellow WLers, I would like to point out that LSN's ND profile shows a disproportionate amount of recent withdraws compared to users that have accepted! Of course there are a lot that haven't disclosed their decision, but still, this makes me a little hopeful! Has anyone contacted Notre Dame recently about WL procedures?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 20171lhopeful, aaron1621, AFtoLawschool, Baby Gaga, christinaxcarrie, Dodocogon, Google Adsense [Bot], katthegreat11, Kaziende, Keilz, lillawyer2, lvlaw3, monotonemr, Rich Uncle Skeleton, stewhan, taxman14, TecumsehSherman, tinafeyclone, Yahoo [Bot] and 27 guests