Notre Dame Class of 2016 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Unoriginalist

Re: Notre Dame Class of 2016 Applicants

Postby Unoriginalist » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:56 pm

Grazzhoppa wrote:
psb22 wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:
Charlie.Home wrote:Has anybody had any luck negotiating scholarships yet?

I'd like to know as well. I'd love to attend, but paying sticker here scares the hell out of me...

I tried to negotiate a little. I was told it is "much to soon for that". Would love to know if others got different responses

I got "we don't negotiate scholarships" and "maybe later in the cycle we will give out more money if it is availabe"

+1

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:39 pm

In my class, I know tons of people who got $2K/yr tacked on (including me). It seems to be a regular occurrence. Happened much later than this though (maybe the end of March?).

boblawlob

Postby boblawlob » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:18 pm

The Admissions Committee has completed their review of your application. Your decision has been mailed to you. We DO NOT release decisions by telephone or email. If more than 2 weeks has passed and you have not received your decision letter, please contact the Admissions Office (lawadmit@nd.edu or 574-631-6626) to confirm your mailing address.

Any way on my end to find out sooner?

InBetweenDays

Postby InBetweenDays » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:45 pm

boblawlob wrote:The Admissions Committee has completed their review of your application. Your decision has been mailed to you. We DO NOT release decisions by telephone or email. If more than 2 weeks has passed and you have not received your decision letter, please contact the Admissions Office (lawadmit@nd.edu or 574-631-6626) to confirm your mailing address.

Same status update here! Fingers crossed. Good luck!

aprilvu

Postby aprilvu » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:49 pm

InBetweenDays wrote:
boblawlob wrote:The Admissions Committee has completed their review of your application. Your decision has been mailed to you. We DO NOT release decisions by telephone or email. If more than 2 weeks has passed and you have not received your decision letter, please contact the Admissions Office (lawadmit@nd.edu or 574-631-6626) to confirm your mailing address.

Same status update here! Fingers crossed. Good luck!

Me too!! I really want to know right now.

matrim

Postby matrim » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:50 pm

No, I think they are pretty steadfast in this policy...maybe check to see if deposits change on your status checker - may be an indicator - but not positive.

InBetweenDays

Postby InBetweenDays » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:08 pm

Status checker changed to "Decision Made" this afternoon. 162/3.1 URM (PR). I'm feeling a ding in my near future.

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:01 am

Grazzhoppa wrote:
psb22 wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:
Charlie.Home wrote:Has anybody had any luck negotiating scholarships yet?

I'd like to know as well. I'd love to attend, but paying sticker here scares the hell out of me...

I tried to negotiate a little. I was told it is "much to soon for that". Would love to know if others got different responses

I got "we don't negotiate scholarships" and "maybe later in the cycle we will give out more money if it is availabe"

I got this as well. Although, I'm also asking for need based aid.
Last edited by ManoftheHour on Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grazzhoppa

Postby Grazzhoppa » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:14 am

need based aid is based off of your parents income right? if so then im screwed for that unfortunately.

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:04 am

Grazzhoppa wrote:need based aid is based off of your parents income right? if so then im screwed for that unfortunately.

I believe so. We'll see how that goes.

psb22

Postby psb22 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:51 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:
Grazzhoppa wrote:need based aid is based off of your parents income right? if so then im screwed for that unfortunately.

Not neccessarily. Most grad students of any kind are considered to be independent, I wouldn't tell them your parents' income unless you have to.

Also Manofthehour, I asked for need based after I applied (no form) and they told me I was in consideration based on my income/application anyway. When I got my scholarship offer I was told it reflected both need and merit based aid. So it may not be a huge deal (if our circumstances are similar).

boblawlob

Postby boblawlob » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:52 pm

psb22 wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:

Not neccessarily. Most grad students of any kind are considered to be independent, I wouldn't tell them your parents' income unless you have to.

Also Manofthehour, I asked for need based after I applied (no form) and they told me I was in consideration based on my income/application anyway. When I got my scholarship offer I was told it reflected both need and merit based aid. So it may not be a huge deal (if our circumstances are similar).

How much did you get total?

aprilvu

Postby aprilvu » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:39 pm

Can a person who had their decision made on 2/28 let me know what it was? I'm currently travelling and will not be able to check my mail, and I'd like to get a sense of what is waiting for me.

psb22

Postby psb22 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:44 pm

boblawlob wrote:How much did you get total?

15k.

deuceindc

Postby deuceindc » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:03 pm

Got my 2/28 decision today - admitted with with $$. 167/3.0, 4 years WE, and I wrote a "Why ND" essay.

boblawlob

Postby boblawlob » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:39 pm

---
Last edited by boblawlob on Sat May 11, 2013 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

princeR

Postby princeR » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:56 am

Hypothetically, would you all take ND with under $20k in debt? Just got my February LSAT and ND (which has always been my dream school) is a legitimate possibility now... It feels really weird even typing that.

Honest assessment, does the name actually care "national" recognition in that I would come back home and compete against the large closely ranked public? Furthermore, chances of actually taking the degree outside of ones home region and finding interesting/decent pay careers? Also, anyone intending on doing a dual degree? I don't really like the basic options of the MBA or the MA. ND has some very interesting grad programs, how flexible are they, and does anyone know someone who did/plans on doing an interesting dual degree?

Not the thread intended to answer these questions, but there are active NDLS students in here so I figured I'd throw it out there!

law chihuahua

Postby law chihuahua » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:28 am

Not a current student, but to clarify, do you mean 20k of debt per year or total?
Does that include COA (I'm assuming not)?

princeR

Postby princeR » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:12 pm

It was only a hypothetical, but I meant 20k total over 3 years.

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:19 pm

princeR wrote:Hypothetically, would you all take ND with under $20k in debt? Just got my February LSAT and ND (which has always been my dream school) is a legitimate possibility now... It feels really weird even typing that.

Honest assessment, does the name actually care "national" recognition in that I would come back home and compete against the large closely ranked public? Furthermore, chances of actually taking the degree outside of ones home region and finding interesting/decent pay careers? Also, anyone intending on doing a dual degree? I don't really like the basic options of the MBA or the MA. ND has some very interesting grad programs, how flexible are they, and does anyone know someone who did/plans on doing an interesting dual degree?

Not the thread intended to answer these questions, but there are active NDLS students in here so I figured I'd throw it out there!

It'd depend on your and your family's financial situation. I'd do it in a heartbeat only because I know I have a backup fund and if that were not enough, my parents could bail me out (not that I'd EVER want that to happen, but that is the worst case scenario). Hell, for ND, I'd do it for 60k total debt.

dougfunny

Postby dougfunny » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:59 pm

princeR wrote:It was only a hypothetical, but I meant 20k total over 3 years.

Out of curiosity, how would you arrive at that number? It sounds like you haven't even been accepted yet based on your other post saying ND could now be a possibility? Not to be a downer, but just curious.

princeR

Postby princeR » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:11 pm

dougfunny wrote:
princeR wrote:It was only a hypothetical, but I meant 20k total over 3 years.

Out of curiosity, how would you arrive at that number? It sounds like you haven't even been accepted yet based on your other post saying ND could now be a possibility? Not to be a downer, but just curious.

Why is everyone trying to pick the hypothetical apart instead of just answering the question lol. Forget I even asked.

matrim

Postby matrim » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:30 pm

princeR wrote:Hypothetically, would you all take ND with under $20k in debt? Just got my February LSAT and ND (which has always been my dream school) is a legitimate possibility now... It feels really weird even typing that.

Yes, I would absolutely. 20K debt is hardly anything. Also, ND Class of 2011 placed in 31 states. Top 4 Places/States : Illinois (19), Washington D.C. (17), New York (16), Michigan (14) with California & Texas sharing #6 spot with (10). ND is very much a national school - look at its placements - all over the USA. More employement data here: http://law.nd.edu/careers/employment-data/

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:08 am

matrim wrote:

Yes, I would absolutely. 20K debt is hardly anything. Also, ND Class of 2011 placed in 31 states. Top 4 Places/States : Illinois (19), Washington D.C. (17), New York (16), Michigan (14) with California & Texas sharing #6 spot with (10). ND is very much a national school - look at its placements - all over the USA. More employement data here: http://law.nd.edu/careers/employment-data/

20k is really nothing. You could pay that off by saving up working in retail for a year...

sublime

Postby sublime » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:54 pm

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”